ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Monkey Woman!!!
© Unknown author

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Willie and Keith at the Wiltern Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 6th, 2004 05:30 AM
SeerSuckersuit Willie Nelson and Friends - Outlaws & Angels

Toby Keith ... Lucinda Williams ... Merle Haggerd ... Kid Rock ... Al Green ... Shelby Lynne ... Keith Richards ...

Carole King ... Bob Dylan ... Rickie Lee Jones ... Ben Harper ... Jerry Lee Lewis ... Toots Hibbert ... Lee Ann Womack ...

Joel Walsh ... The Holmes Brothers ... Los Lonely Boys

To tired to post more tonight will continue tomorrow .... But, look at that line-up .....

The Highlight for me was Keith, Merle, Willie, Jerry Lee and the Kid jamming together .. Jerry and the Kid
bumping their butts on the piano and Keith, Merle and Willie wailing away just cracking up and having a good
time ... It was great .... Can not wait for the DVD ..... Do not forget to watch it on the 30th .... will post more later ....
[Edited by SeerSuckersuit]
May 6th, 2004 07:01 AM
caro Yess! Someone was there! Looking forward to your review, sssuit!

There's a few pics of Keith arriving at the rehearsals at Gettyimages

From Yahoo/Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Bob Dylan (news), Keith Richards (news), Jerry Lee Lewis (news), Kid Rock and Merle Haggard (news) were among the "outlaws and angels" that Willie Nelson (news) brought out on Wednesday for his third annual concert special on USA Network.

During a three-hour show, where country music took a back seat to gospel, soul, reggae, jazz and rockabilly, the black-clad Nelson let his many guests take the spotlight. He even left the stage when Toots Hibbert and Ben Harper (news) sang the former's reggae classic "Pressure Drop" together.

The Wiltern Theater event, dubbed "Willie Nelson & Friends: Outlaws and Angels," will air as a two-hour special on Memorial Day, Monday, May 31 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT).

Other guests included Al Green, Shelby Lynne, Rickie Lee Jones, Carole King, Toby Keith, Lucinda Williams, Lee Ann Womack, the Holmes Brothers, and Los Lonely Boys.

Dylan was among the early performers, singing with Nelson on "You Win Again," a Hank Williams song available on bootleg from Dylan's "Basement Tapes" sessions in the late 1960s.

Richards showed up at the end for "We Had It All," a ballad he covered during sessions for the Rolling Stones' 1980 album Emotional Rescue," and also available on bootleg. He strummed along when Lewis performed "Trouble in Mind" (with Nelson) and "Whole Lot of Shakin' Going On" (with Kid Rock).

"There is that legendary mystery thing that those guys carry around with them, and that's always good, and they never disappoint you," Nelson said of Dylan and Richards during an interview aboard his tour bus before the show. "Jerry Lee Lewis, same way. Merle Haggard. These guys are the real thing."

During rehearsals, Lewis, Nelson and Richards tried to work up a version of "Honky Tonk Women," but Lewis appeared unfamiliar with the song, and it was dropped from the schedule.

Other highlights from the show included Nelson performing "Raining in My Heart" with Green, "Poncho and Lefty" (twice) with Haggard, "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" with King, and "Stormy Weather" with Lynne.

Reuters/VNU
[Edited by caro]
May 6th, 2004 07:15 AM
caro More from yahoo :

Reuters/Robert Galbraith
May 6th, 2004 07:30 AM
Nellcote Lewis, unfamiliar with Honky Tonk Women?
WTF?
Didn't his career get hijacked after a tryst with a cousin back in the day? He should know all about Honky Tonk Women!
And when is his album coming out with Mick and Keith on it?
Look at Keith, again having the time of his life...
Keith played "We Had It All"? Well, that is.........
"WICKED PISSA"!
May 6th, 2004 07:57 AM
nankerphelge Does Keith have a problem with buttons?

I don't really care if he doesn't button the front of his shirts, but Keith, c'mon, the cuffs look stupid!

May 6th, 2004 10:27 AM
KeepRigid Cannot fucking believe he played We Had It All.

Damn.
May 6th, 2004 10:43 AM
jb Thanks for the info.
May 6th, 2004 10:51 AM
sammy davis jr. I want that sweet ass guitar Keef is playing.....
May 6th, 2004 11:06 AM
Bloozehound I'm looking forward to this, I wonder what Kid Rock will have to say about keef this time around.

I just hope Keith refrains from improving any speeches this time. I can just hear it..

...Hey look Willie no notes ten bucks. Country music, yea WE must talk about the country music. This is where it all started, Joe Walsh, Al Green, Ricky Lee Jones, Los Lonely Boys, Kid Rock, yea heavy stuff man.
The first time I saw Willie and his beat up guitar I said hey man you'll never get that thing to play. I thought he was too poor to afford a new one...

May 6th, 2004 11:51 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Holy shit! Not only does Keith look great, but Bob Dylan played guitar for the first time in two years!

Guess Willie just brings out the best in people.

-tSYX --- You win again...
May 6th, 2004 11:52 AM
jb Thank fucking god Ron Wood didn't show up.
May 6th, 2004 12:08 PM
telecaster For the love of God could someone please tell Kid fucking Rock his 10 minutes were up 3 years ago

He is like a booger. It was fun digging it out but good luck getting it off your finger
May 6th, 2004 02:06 PM
Martha Yippee yippee yippee!!!! Bob, Willie, Keef, fantastic! And Lucinda..can anyone post a shot of her at this gig? Absolutely the coolest news of my day so far! Is this show coming out on DVD in full?

I'm setting the VCR for the 31st!

Will Bob play guitar when he co-headlines with Willie later this year? Notice how he isn't as happy when he's playing his guitar as he is when he's behind those keyboards. Hum......................

Savage, you are the great predictor. What do you say?

:-)

"There are things I could say, but I don't.....I know the mercy of God must be near."
May 6th, 2004 02:10 PM
jb This is a great thread!!!
May 6th, 2004 02:10 PM
Bloozehound absolutely right
May 6th, 2004 02:13 PM
gimmekeef Keith....let's lose that Harpo Marx hat!
May 6th, 2004 02:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Keith....let's lose that Harpo Marx hat!

I like that hat. Dylan's white cowboy hat is pretty cool too. But Bob is starting to show his age, it looks like to me. That sux. I hate getting old. Oh well.
May 6th, 2004 02:34 PM
jb Thanks guys.
May 6th, 2004 02:37 PM
Bloozehound Yea Bob is going with the flow and he looks classy, but Keefs a rebel, with class too, but wouldn't expect him to don a Stetson

May 6th, 2004 03:00 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Yea Bob is going with the flow and he looks classy, but Keefs a rebel, with class too, but wouldn't expect him to don a Stetson

Yes, I don't seem to recall Keith wearing hats too much. Dylan would mess around with them once in awhile. The white cowboy hat is a winner though.

May 6th, 2004 04:00 PM
Bloozehound maybe keith could wear this hat

May 6th, 2004 06:28 PM
Martha Bob turns 63 on the 24th of this month. He ain't no spring chicken but there is still a lot of spring in that man's step. No dount about that.

He's also put on some weight in the past year or so and he looks healthier. He was really gaunt a few years ago, back when he played his guitar and stood front and center at all the shows.

He looks good. Especially from 20 feet away. Orange Peel memories haunting me still..........sigh........;-)

Whadda you got to say on the subject Nasty?!
May 6th, 2004 06:54 PM
Gazza Jesus Christ

Keith, Bob, Lucinda , Al Green, The Killer, all on the same bill with Willie Nelson.

I dont think Dylan was billed as being expected to play was he? I'd have pooped my pants had I been there with THAT bill even without Bob showin' up....

I'm amazed at Lewis not being familiar with Honky Tonk Women, though.
May 6th, 2004 06:56 PM
SeerSuckersuit Martha ..... As I understand it, the DVD is due out in July .....

Keith originally started wearing the head scarf to hide his balding and (for those that remember his child pictures) his rather protruding ears .....

It could be that the scarf is no longer doing the trick and it has come time to move on to the hat ....

Anyway if so , I think his MaMa does a good job helping him select his accessories .... He don't seem the cowboy hat or baseball hat type to me ....
May 6th, 2004 07:29 PM
Bloozehound from billboard

Willie Nelson & Friends / May 5, 2004 / Los Angeles (Wiltern Theatre)

When Willie Nelson invites some pals down to play, you can usually expect a few surprises. So when Bob Dylan strolled out to duet with Nelson on Hank Williams' "You Win Again" last night (May 5), the nearly sold-out house leapt to its feet and exploded in glee.

Even without Dylan's unannounced appearance, the bill for Nelson's all-star show would have satisfied almost anyone in the house. The event was taped for a USA Network special premiering on Memorial Day.

A cavalcade of performers representing virtually every imaginable musical genre jammed the stage during the three-hour-plus concert, the third in an annual series of televised Nelson events. Actor James Caan split hosting duties with Nelson. As televised concerts go, the night moved smoothly, with quick set changes and only a few retakes.

Fellow country luminary Merle Haggard and acolyte Toby Keith were ongoing presences during the evening. Keith kicked off the show, backed by the 16-piece house band, dueting on "Georgia on a Fast Train" with Joe Walsh on guitar. Haggard strolled on to join them for "Ramblin' Fever."

Later, the Nelson-Haggard-Keith triumvirate returned to trade verses on Townes Van Zandt's "Poncho & Lefty" (from Merle and Willie's 1983 collaborative album) and Haggard's "Mama Tried," which found the generally outclassed Keith contributing his best singing of the night.

Soul man Al Green brought the audience to its feet with a rip-snorting up-tempo version of Nelson's "Funny How Time Slips Away" (which he first covered in 1973). The Reverend Al's testifying style ("Somebody say yeah!") tore up the crowd in revival-meeting style. He followed it up with a fine version of "Raining in My Heart" from his new Blue Note album, "I Can't Stop."

The ladies in the house all rose to the occasion on duets with Nelson. A playful Shelby Lynne glowed on "One With the Sun" and a jazzy "Stormy Weather," which found her balancing, leg outstretched, like a ballerina behind the mike. Carole King romped through "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" and Lee Ann Womack showed off her pipes on "I'll Never Be Free." Lucinda Williams traded verses with Nelson on her "Over Time" and Rickie Lee Jones, backed by a trumpeter and beret-wearing standup bassist, swung in neo-beat style through "Nothing Can Be Done."

Nelson also plumbed his rock, reggae, R&B and Tejano roots, most notably during Ben Harper and Nelson shot smoking licks at one another on the Allman Brothers' "Midnight Rider." With Nelson sitting out, Harper backed reggae luminary Toots Hibbert on his classic "Pressure Drop." A few numbers later, Nelson probed his "Opportunity to Cry" with the blues/R&B trio the Holmes Brothers. And he tossed leads back and forth with the Texas trio Los Lonely Boys' young guitarist Henry Garza on a raucous, Jimi Hendrix-styled version of War's "The Cisco Kid."

An abundance of Rolling Stones t-shirts in the house indicated Keith Richards' status as the draw of the night, and he did not disappoint. Taking the stage in a sporty gray fedora and a white shirt open to the waist as the crowd howled, the Stones guitarist strapped on an acoustic and rasped through Waylon Jennings' hit "We Had It All." He dropped into a curtsy in front of Nelson at the end of the number.

The audience was thusly primed for the night's blowout highlight. Richards, Nelson and Haggard grouped behind the grand piano as Jerry Lee Lewis walked from the wings to pound through "Trouble in Mind," with all hands sharing verses.

The inevitable "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" followed; Kid Rock (who earlier had dueted with Nelson on "Shotgun Willie") clambered atop Lewis' piano and joined the Killer for a bootheels-on-keys duet. It had suddenly become the Jerry Lee Show, but nobody in the theater -- least of all Nelson -- minded in the least.

After a night in the wings, Nelson's Family Band -- including sister Bobbie on piano, drummer Paul English and guitarist Jody Payne -- finally came on board to close the show with the gospel standard "I'll Fly Away" and the perennial "On the Road Again."

Nelson -- who graciously remained on stage to sign autographs for 20 minutes -- was often reduced to playing the role of sideman at his own gig. But his typically low-key and self-effacing performance was a compelling demonstration of his ability to mate himself to any sound or style you can name.

May 6th, 2004 07:43 PM
Bloozehound I totally forgot Waylon's version of "We Had It All" in 73. I never really cared for the orchestra in it, kinda cheesy for Waylon, but I can totally see Keith giving this song the country-rock ballad treatment, probably how Waylon should have done it - too fuk'n kool
May 7th, 2004 05:48 AM
F505 Quite shameless to invite Kid Rock on the same stage with Keith, Bob, Jerry Lee, Al and Lucinda. Who is responsible for this?
May 7th, 2004 12:13 PM
SeerSuckersuit F505 ..... I don't care if you like the Kid or not but, I want to let you know that he was there to honor Jerry Lee ..... and he did a damn fine job doing just that .... When he came out he gave Jerry Lee a long ol' hug, went over and shook hands with Keith, Merle and Willie all having a good time with no animosities involved .... They started into the "Whole Lotta Shaking" all happy smiling and having a good old time .... the Kid jumps up on the Piano the way Jerry Lee used to do it 30 years ago .... (showed the crowd Jerry's style so to speak) and Keith and Merle were pointing at him and laughing ..... the song ends and Keith hits him good naturedly on the arm ha ha ha kinda stuff .... So kid motions lets do it again and Willie, Keith and Merle look at them selves and get right back into it ..... so it gets over again and the Kid goes over and for a third time the Kid starts it again by bumping his butt on the piano ... And then Jerry Lee (and I'm telling you he's way old by now) starts bumping his butt on the piano and then kicking the keys etc .... All 5 of then Just having a good old time really enjoying themselves ... those extra 2 song encores was the Kids way of honoring Jerry .... This was the best song if the night .... the whole theater was up and dancing / singing ..... Just hope this makes the DVD .... it was thee best ... period
May 7th, 2004 12:33 PM
T&A lots more pics here - must say Keith does look fabulous...and it's great to see Bob with an axe again - he hasn't played guitar in his own band in many months.

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=gls====61279&nbc1=1
May 7th, 2004 05:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels [quote]T&A wrote:
lots more pics here - must say Keith does look fabulous...and it's great to see Bob with an axe again - he hasn't played guitar in his own band in many months.

Actully now that I thought about...I think Keith did the right thing with that hat. Which I like (the hat) He must have read the RO board a few months back... ;0 .....and felt he needed to stick up for his brother Kid Rock. Cause it is kind of a Kid Rock hat.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
Page: 1 2