ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
we're in babies

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Its time for the Stones to put up or RETIRE!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 6th, 2005 11:04 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

Waht happened to the Rolling Stones that changed mupsic history? I fear that they might have become music history and thats a shame because I would love to view them as music past, present and future.

I think the Stones, like most of sixty years old people on this planet just want to enjoy and offer themselves a decent, very decent life for them and their families.

it s just human. of course, fans are upset by this kind of behaviour, but well after all can we really blame them for that?
but I would love to view them as music past, present and future too,of course.

May 6th, 2005 12:17 PM
glencar Voodoo Scrounge for someone who's been a fan for what, 3 years(?), you're quite controversial. VL did suck in a big way but BTB was Da Bomb. All the boys in the hoodies lurved it. You weren't hip back then. This new one is gonna blow chunks but it'll still beat what else is being sold out there. 'Cept maybe Coldplay. I hear that's gonna blaze.
May 6th, 2005 12:28 PM
Angiegirl Let's just hope for a new and improved Dirty Work so we'll all be happy!
May 6th, 2005 12:30 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Let's just hope for a new and improved Dirty Work so we'll all be happy!

Hi Angie!
I m really looking forward to hear the "winning ugly" of the 21st century you know!!!!
May 6th, 2005 12:32 PM
glencar
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Hi Angie!
I m really looking forward to hear the "winning ugly" of the 21st century you know!!!!

Didn't we already get that with "Stealing My Heart"? Yikes!
May 6th, 2005 12:37 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:

Didn't we already get that with "Stealing My Heart"? Yikes!

No one can beat this beautiful synthetic riff of "winning ugly"!! and those electronic horns, unbelievable...!!
May 6th, 2005 01:12 PM
Angiegirl See? Y'all are getting inspired as we speak.
Stealing my heart is the best song ever made.

[Edited by Angiegirl]
May 6th, 2005 10:03 PM
Soldatti I like Stealing My Heart, the lyrics is another story but the song is Ok. I'm sure that we will get some songs like this in the new album.
May 6th, 2005 10:27 PM
Lazy Bones I dont think I ca actually believe what you are saying.

I think "understand" is a more appropriate word than "believe".

What Lazy Bones is actually saying is that he looks forward to listening to the stuff that the stones decide not to use because its not good enough.
Its a sad state of affairs to be in where a bands best material is in the studio bin.

You're an excellent narrator of my thoughts. Never met you before, but it sounds like you think you've got a handle on the thoughts and opinions of lot of people - including me. Wrong, btw...

I dont mind people objecting to my opinion and challenging my views. Just as long as they back their argument up with sensibles reasoning.

Sensible to who? You? Quite frankly, if someone else's opinion(s) were "sensible", it wouldn't really be an argument, now would it?!

Regardless, so to not cloud the issue, or, more importantly, the presentation of my thoughts, I will clarify...

You stated:
"...And they have been able to do that because the Stones havent come up with a record which says otherwise."

My point is simply that the quality/strength in the ability to write good songs lies more than just the 12-16 songs that are officially selected for an album. IMO, if sessional recordings that don't make records are strong recordings also, than that only adds to the fuel of creativity. I said it was "important" not a preference. And I never used the phrase - "because its not good enough".

Capeesh..?
May 7th, 2005 12:13 AM
time is on my side
quote:
voodoo lounge and bridges were terrible shit anyone will confirm that except for a few diehards

I posted this review of B2B in another thread but it seems to fit here so, what the hell, I decided to put it here as well (the last few paragraphs are new).

There was a thread a few weeks ago about the relative merits of Bridges To Babylon- was it good album or did it suck??? The general consensus being that it was in fact a very good album which I found kind of surprising as I always considered this album to be very average. Since it had been some time since I had actually listened to the album, my curiousity was aroused and I pulled the CD out of mothballs. Put it into my rotation and gave it a second chance. My impressions??? The first eight songs rock. From the first song Flip the Switch to Saint of Me, this is a much stronger effort than I remember (highlights include Flip the Switch, Low Down, Gunface but to be honest I really liked all eight of them). So for the first 2/3 of this album, this is a really surprising strong effort. To these ears anyway, the album runs out of steam for the final third (two really weak songs, Might As Well Get Juiced and Always Suffering, and ending with two overrated Keith ballads, Thief in the Night and How Can I Stop- what can I say, they just don't move me). However, in between these ballads, is another strong rocker, Too Tight.

Overall, I'm going to have to upgrade this album. The criticism this album generates is hard to understand. This is a pretty stong album. To those that have known this all along, forgive me??? I've changed my mind. It's my belief this album is underrated.

Is Bridges to Babylon a great album??? No, I tend to agree the last great album the Stones released was Tatoo You. Does B2B have a lot of great memorable songs??? Probably not but it does have a lot of good songs. In my opinion, there some good music in B2B. Just curious, when was the last time you heard B2B??? Sometimes music deserves to be listened to more than once or twice.

Also, I think VL is generally a very good album but, I'll admit it does have lots of filler, especially towards the end, which lessens it's impact. It was released in an era where the CD format was becoming increasing more popular and many artist, including the Stones, felt the need to expand their music to 60 minutes + to take advantage of this new technology. The net result on many of these releases is that you tend to have lots of filler which causes the music to drag and lose it's impact.

[Edited by time is on my side]
May 7th, 2005 03:02 AM
Bloozehound ...yeah yeah yeah...

May 7th, 2005 03:21 AM
Zack >Oasis released Be Here Now in early 98 and that was a much better album than Bridges.

I know I said I was finished with this discussion but I got thinking about this amusing statement. Now THERE was an album that flew off the shelves the first day of its release, setting sales records in the UK, due to great expectations, then sank like a stone after people actually heard it.
May 7th, 2005 09:00 AM
Gazza "Be here now" actually came out in August 1997 - just a month before BTB
May 7th, 2005 07:44 PM
texile voodoo and billy - you speak the truth like true believers.
'B2B and voodoo were pretty good...' - blah, blah, blah...
my friend gives me that argument all the time.....
and it's a shit argument - mediocrity is NOT enough for me, i can get that from everyone else - i need my stones to make me FEEL something, and mean something - relevance is not about age or popularity..its about passion and urgencey.......and the stones have lost that - life is too easy for them;
diehards get defensive when you criticize, but when something means something to you, like the stones music does to me, goddamnit - demand more.......it's got to be more than c-grade......

and sales don't mean shit to me
May 8th, 2005 02:15 AM
midnightmagic They will give us the best they can. If you do not like it, go fuck yourself, or find I time travel machine and set it for 10-17-73 and go to Brussels and re-live the climax. They are doing it now because they can, it will not be another Beggars, it will be what it is. To tell you the truth how can thay even do it again in 2005?
May 8th, 2005 12:19 PM
texile give us the best they can. If you do not like it, go fuck yourself>
the best they can, in what context?
the best they can because they don't really give a shit, or the best they can because it matters to them? there's a difference - i imagine dirty work was the best they could under the circumstances of 1985........i'd RATHER fuck myself......
May 8th, 2005 09:51 PM
Soldatti
quote:
midnightmagic wrote:
They will give us the best they can. If you do not like it, go fuck yourself, or find I time travel machine and set it for 10-17-73 and go to Brussels and re-live the climax. They are doing it now because they can, it will not be another Beggars, it will be what it is. To tell you the truth how can thay even do it again in 2005?

Sad but true.
May 9th, 2005 04:39 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I stand corrected on the mistake I made about 'Be Here Now'.

However, my opinion is still the same. The Stones need to produce a great album for the first time in over 20 years to hold some credibility with myself and other like minded stones fans.

On that note. I end my posts on this thread. I feel Ive made my point on a number of occasions
May 9th, 2005 04:31 PM
Starbuck
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour