ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
we're in babies

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Its time for the Stones to put up or RETIRE!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 6th, 2005 04:49 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I think that the next Stones album has to be something which can reinstate the band as the best music makers the world has ever seen.
Over the past 20 years people have been making the Stones the but of all jokes. You know the ones, steel wheelchairs and all that rubbish. And they have been able to do that because the Stones havent come up with a record which says otherwise.
The Rolling Stones have simply not performed as the so called greatest Rock and Roll band of all time. All time means all time and when was the last time the Stones made an album good enough for them to warrant the title "Best in the world"? Arguable Tattoo you. Twenty something years ago!
You cant say that they have lost their musical talent, that just doesnt happen. Have they lost the hunger? Maybe. But if so, why then go back into the recording studio? They dont need the money!
I truely believe that the Stones are capable of producing a great album and I realy hope that they do. But I wouldnt be dissapointed if in a years time the album has flopped and they decide to call it a day for good. Leave us with the memories of a great band who went out on a sold out world tour with a history of great music. Not a decrepid outfit whose albums dont sell, and who musicians who once aspired to be like them now uses them as a cruel joke.

Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie (Maybe Bill)
Put up or Shut up
May 6th, 2005 05:43 AM
billy well spoken. I think you hit the nail on the head.
May 6th, 2005 06:13 AM
Zack I don't get this sort of shit. Voodoo and Bridges were both very good albums, which sold millions each of copies each (stats please, Soldatti).

Did people say about Shakespeare after he wrote Pericles and the Winter's Tale "He hasn't done shit since Lear. The next play better be as good as Macbeth!"

No, they didn't.
May 6th, 2005 06:20 AM
billy voodoo lounge and bridges were terrible shit anyone will confirm that except for a few diehards
May 6th, 2005 06:31 AM
Voodoo Scrounge How the Hell do you know what people were saying about Shakespears work? Its a well know fact that William Shakespeare had many critics.
The only reason people bought Voodoo and Bridges was because of the expectation that it was great. Downloading didnt exist and was only very raw when Voodoo and Bridges came out so people couldnt sample the album before parting with their cash in a record shop. Their only way to hear it then, was to buy it.
Something to consider.
Out of all those millions of people who bought albums such as these. How many do you think have actually listened to the album more than a handful of times? Not many I'll bet.
Another thing. Think of all those people that bought the album because a friend of theirs advised them to or becasue they are one of these people who buy a certaqin record because everybody else is buying it.
Those two put together make up a huge percentage of people who buy stones albums.
May 6th, 2005 06:53 AM
Honky Tonk Man I posted something very similar to this on an earlier thread, but I will repeat the message here.

Both Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon are just OK. There are some very good tracks and there is utter shite to be found too.

I strongly predict that the new release will be the same. A few decent rockers, a few dreary ballads, a couple of mid-tempo experemental numbers (Suck On The Jugular, Might As Well Get Juiced etc) and a couple with Keith crooning.

I'm going to enjoy the new album, I can just feel it. It is the Rolling Stones after all and we've all been waiting a long time for this!

So, to sumerise. How good will the album be? Well, It'll just be OK.
May 6th, 2005 06:59 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I think your right mate.
But is listening to an allright stones album enough for you?
It aint for me. I want to feel something change in me when I hear some of the new tracks like it did the foirst time I heard Gimme Shelter or Paint it Black.
The Stones are about music that you can feel.
I wont buy a coldplay album thats just all right and I certainly wont buy a Stones album which is just alright too.
Waht happened to the Rolling Stones that changed mupsic history? I fear that they might have become music history and thats a shame because I would love to view them as music past, present and future.
May 6th, 2005 07:01 AM
IanBillen
B2B and Voodoo were very good albums.

To prove this:
Simply directly compare it to the other albums released from those years and you will find both B2B and Voodoo Lounge quite possibly are as good as any in the top 5 that particular year.

Do you know how many bands release recognizable albums a year?
Do the math.

Ian
May 6th, 2005 07:04 AM
billy If you just love mediocraty go ahead. But the sad thing is the Stones were always the band that left mediocraty far behind. Nowadays one is just glad celebrating a new Stones album because it is a Stones album. A very poor reason to buy it and and an insult considering the Stones' legacy.
May 6th, 2005 07:04 AM
Zack [quote]Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
>How the Hell do you know what people were saying about Shakespears work? Its a well know fact that William Shakespeare had many critics.

I was a fucking English major at university and took two semesters of advanced Shakespeare. That's how.

>The only reason people bought Voodoo and Bridges was because of the expectation that it was great.

Bullshit. Voodoo is certified double platinum (2 million) in the States alone, and Bridges platinum (1 million). All those people didn't buy if from great expectations.

>Downloading didnt exist and was only very raw when Voodoo and Bridges came out so people couldnt sample the album before parting with their cash in a record shop. Their only way to hear it then, was to buy it.

That's the way the record business has worked for more than 50 years. Downloading is a recent phenomena has nothing to do with the argument you are struggling to make.

>Something to consider.

Out of all those millions of people who bought albums such as these. How many do you think have actually listened to the album more than a handful of times? Not many I'll bet.

Bullshit. Stones fans like me and most of this board do, that's for sure. I listen to them often, with the exception of Steel Wheels, and I have quite a few things to choose from. I prefer the disc one of Voodoo Brew, but it's the same music essentially.

>Another thing. Think of all those people that bought the album because a friend of theirs advised them to or becasue they are one of these people who buy a certaqin record because everybody else is buying it.
Those two put together make up a huge percentage of people who buy stones albums.

If the friends didn't like it, why would they advise them to buy the thing? Why would everyone else be buying a record if it was no good?

Your logic here is extremely weak. The bottom line is that if you hate those two albums so much you don't understand the Stones that well, or good music for that matter.
May 6th, 2005 07:06 AM
billy ianbillen if that's your proof I certainly hope you are not a lawyer.
May 6th, 2005 07:09 AM
billy quote: Your logic here is extremely weak. The bottom line is that if you hate those two albums so much you don't understand the Stones that well, or good music for that matter.

that's really the greatest bullshit I read in years. And very arrogant too. It only proves you really don't understand good music at all.

May 6th, 2005 07:10 AM
Voodoo Scrounge In response to that comment mate. The early nineties were not very good for music mate. Unless you were into Maddona and New Kids on the Block and niether were the late ninties.
In 1998 Brit pop was on its way out and the Teeny bopper Boyzone and Westlife Era had started.
Oasis released Be Here Now in early 98 and that was a much better album than Bridges.

To sum up. You cant compare the stones to other bands around at the time. Especially the nineties. Because a set of trained chimps could have walked into the reccording studio in the 1990s called themselves The Rolling Stones and achieved a top ten album their fans classed as good!
May 6th, 2005 07:27 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Well when you studied Shakespeare mate, I hope the tax payers wernt paying for it because you obviously didnt listen. To think that everybody loved Shakespeares works would be incredibly foolish for and obviously intelligent person such as yourself.

In response to the statistics you have given me for the record sales.
Busted sold over 2,000,000 records worldwide last year. That dont mean to say they aint shit!

How you can say that downloading has nothing to do with my argument is a disgrace. How many peopl on this message board will be downloading the new stones album before it reaches the shops. All of them Ill bet. And because they are all stones fans, they will probably buy the cd too. But thats not to say that people who dont care as much for the stones will follow up their download with a trip to the record shop. Especially if the album is jusk OK or even worse shit!

When I was talking about people not playing the album a lot. I am not talking about stones fans. It goes without saying that they will listen to it. I thought you might work that out for yourself. Im taling about all those people that bought it cos they thought the stones and good music go hand in hand. The general music buyer.

As for friends advising albums toi buy. I have had many a friend advise me to buy an album both by bands I have heard of and not heard of.I have gone out and done so on their advice. Ive not enjoyed the album whereas they have. So straight away you are looking at two people with the album and one of them not liking it!
May 6th, 2005 07:38 AM
Zack I'm not getting into a pissing match here. Cheers
May 6th, 2005 07:41 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Wasnt trying for a pissing match mate. Just trying to get my point across
May 6th, 2005 07:45 AM
billy your point is clear and understood
May 6th, 2005 08:28 AM
gimmekeef I'm sure we're all hoping for one last kick at the can...If musically and from a Stones perspective it rocks I'll be more than satisfied.Yes the last few albums have been just ok and we've made them a little better in our hearts because we wanted them to be great.However in todays music climate they could release Let It Bleed and it would not sell or get any airplay....
May 6th, 2005 08:57 AM
West 8 For the record I think Voodoo is a classic. And I'm sure the "general music buyer" would find Exile hard to listen to.
May 6th, 2005 09:13 AM
billy i am not interested in the general music buyer as i am not interested in general average records like VL or BTB
May 6th, 2005 09:18 AM
egon ain't never gonna be a 2nd exile.
i'm betting on another voodoo or bridges (at best),
and i'm ok with that.
May 6th, 2005 09:28 AM
billy well i am not ok with that
May 6th, 2005 09:29 AM
egon then get ready to be let down big time!
May 6th, 2005 09:34 AM
billy i am ready and prepared
May 6th, 2005 09:43 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Wasnt trying for a pissing match mate. Just trying to get my point across

Heard. Doesn't mean others can't disagree with you...

Personally, what's more important than an album release itself, is the session(s). Some of the finest stuff ever written is left off official releases. So perhaps, it's not writing quality songs that's declining, it's the abiltity to select the 'best' songs to officially make a record.
May 6th, 2005 09:44 AM
billy can you give examples of your theory?
May 6th, 2005 10:11 AM
Maxlugar I agree they need to KILL with this album. I mean KILLLLL!! Let's go out in a ball of fire. Then they can enter their phase of playing small clubs on stools or a week at MSG one month and a week in Las Vegas a few months later.

HOWEVER!

1) Voodoo Lounge is an unmittigated classic that in another time (say '75) would have blown the door off anyone. As it stands, it was pretty big in '94 but the world was more interested in G'N'R and the impending Grunge explosion to get all worked up about 50 year old classic rockers.

2) The Stones didn't get their fame as the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" because of their studio work. It was their LIVE work that got them that title. At the time of the '69 tour and that introduction heard on Ya Ya's, only one of the big four was released (If memory serves, Let It Bleed was released during the second half of the tour). And they still kill on stage today, so I don't think a great album is needed to secure their "Greatest" status.

But all in all I agree they need to go off with this new album.

M!
May 6th, 2005 10:15 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I dont think I ca actually believe what you are saying.

What Lazy Bones is actually saying is that he looks forward to listening to the stuff that the stones decide not to use because its not good enough.
Its a sad state of affairs to be in where a bands best material is in the studio bin.

I dont mind people objecting to my opinion and challenging my views. Just as long as they back their argument up with sensibles reasoning.
May 6th, 2005 10:31 AM
CraigP There are a few good tracks on Bridges and Voodoo and so on... (A couple that I would put in a 'Best of...' mix for my friends or something.

The sad thing is that it seems we all want a future for the Stones to forever hold a torch. But, like life, it fades away and the torch is passed on. I will enjoy a new Stones album be it good or bad or mediocre. Who cares how it sells? What matters is that YOU like it!!!
May 6th, 2005 10:44 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Fair enough comment Craig. But what I dont understand is why the Stones have to fade.
They should always have the same flair and nack for writting a great song that attracted you and myself to the band in the first place.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour