ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
we're in babies

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hey Voodoo - Happy Cinco DeMayo! Return to archive Page: 1 2
May 5th, 2005 10:24 AM
telecaster I am sure you are trashed by now on your big day but happy Cinco de Mayo mi amigo!

Viva Mexico!
May 5th, 2005 11:01 AM
rogerriffin happy 5 de mayo??? here we not consider a happy day, only an important day in Mèxico`s history, some people don`t have job but another like me... yes.

The good day it`s 10 de Mayo, Mother`s Day, these is a really HAPPY DAY.
May 5th, 2005 11:15 AM
Scottfree Sorry I started a new thread on this, but still.....

Mexico > France
May 5th, 2005 11:16 AM
Joey

< ------ I am sure you are trashed by now on your big day but happy Cinco de Mayo mi amigo!

Viva Mexico!

May 5th, 2005 11:17 AM
glencar 05-05-05! Great day!
May 5th, 2005 11:19 AM
Gazza
quote:
Scottfree wrote:
Sorry I started a new thread on this, but still.....

Mexico > France

what the fuck are you on about?
May 5th, 2005 11:25 AM
telecaster
quote:
Gazza wrote:

what the fuck are you on about?

Gazza the Mexican Army destroyed the French Army on May 5
thus forever creating another excuse to get drunker than hell on tequila on May 5

VIVA MEXICO!
May 5th, 2005 11:27 AM
glencar Chi Chi's restaurants celebrate in a big way but they're disappearing fast from the landscape of American highways.
May 5th, 2005 11:27 AM
rogerriffin Thanks anyway.
May 5th, 2005 11:29 AM
Gazza
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Gazza the Mexican Army destroyed the French Army on May 5
thus forever creating another excuse to get drunker than hell on tequila on May 5

VIVA MEXICO!

or another flimsy excuse for some to use this website to insult the French?

Please dont bother
[Edited by Gazza]
May 5th, 2005 11:29 AM
telecaster
quote:
glencar wrote:
Chi Chi's restaurants celebrate in a big way but they're disappearing fast from the landscape of American highways.

Chi Chi's. Now that is some great authentic Mexican food

My fav is a restaurant in Milwaukee that has a midget (small person) walk around with a sombrero on full of chips and salsa and cheese dip. He is a walking appetizer tray

Classy
May 5th, 2005 11:35 AM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

or another flimsy excuse for some to use this website to insult the French?

Please dont bother
[Edited by Gazza]

No, we do that over at Max's now!
May 5th, 2005 11:43 AM
Gazza then keep it there!!
May 5th, 2005 11:44 AM
Mr Jimmy I'll pass along my best wishes to all of our Mexican friends but I'm hoping they can shed some light on something:

I've been to Mexico more than twenty times and Mexicans have told me that Cinco De Mayo isn't that big of a celebration outside of the Puebla area where the famous battle took place. I've been told that it's celebrated to a much higher degree in the U.S.A. than in Mexico itself and the posts about "Mexican" chain restaurants seems to verify that. The "hugeness" of Cinco De Mayo within the U.S.A. is fueled by marketing opportunities for real-genuine-simulated-American/Mexican fast food.

It's been my experience that Mexican Independence Day is the huge celebration which takes place on September 16. I've enjoyed a few of those!
May 5th, 2005 11:45 AM
glencar Seriously, I think this was just a kind-hearted wish to celebrate a holiday of the Mexicans. I'm guessing the French don't even think about their military defeat. Truthfully, I didn't know the story behind the holiday myself.
May 5th, 2005 11:45 AM
Gazza sounds similar to St Patricks Day!

The Americans make more of a fuss of it than we do!
May 5th, 2005 11:46 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Seriously, I think this was just a kind-hearted wish to celebrate a holiday of the Mexicans. I'm guessing the French don't even think about their military defeat. Truthfully, I didn't know the story behind the holiday myself.

I know. I just didnt want it descending into the usual lunacy. Cheers.
May 5th, 2005 11:48 AM
glencar No prob. As far as St. Patrick's Day, that at least started with Irish immigrants in this country. Cinquo De Mayo seems to have started with the restaurant/liquor industries. I wonder if Hallmark has a card for this day?
May 5th, 2005 11:53 AM
Mr Jimmy
quote:
glencar wrote:
I wonder if Hallmark has a card for this day?

Yep. I received one this morning... I'm not Mexican but friends know that I spend a lot of time down there. Hallmark has 14 different Cinco De Mayo e-cards available.
May 5th, 2005 11:53 AM
Gazza are you kiddin', Glencar?

they'd have a card for Happy Fartbreath Day if there was one....

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-102146&CatIDsList=-2;-102001;11441;-102146&tabOn=products

feel free to send me one to the usual address....
[Edited by Gazza]
May 5th, 2005 11:55 AM
glencar Ah! I actually have some Mexican-Irish cousins who are up for the week. I shall meet them Friday night at a family reunion in the Bronx.
May 5th, 2005 11:56 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
Seriously, I think this was just a kind-hearted wish to celebrate a holiday of the Mexicans. I'm guessing the French don't even think about their military defeat. Truthfully, I didn't know the story behind the holiday myself.

correct.I thought it was the day were Mexico did win a soccer game against France

no offense my mexican friends,have a good tequila day for me!!!!

cheers cabrones!!

Julian
May 5th, 2005 11:58 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:

No, we do that over at Max's now!

good!
try this one my friend,so funny!!
http://www.i-hate-france.com/
May 5th, 2005 12:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Ah! I actually have some Mexican-Irish cousins who are up for the week. I shall meet them Friday night at a family reunion in the Bronx.

Christ. Mexican-Irish.

The potential drinking stereotypes there are endless.
May 5th, 2005 12:05 PM
glencar One of them definitely fits the stereotype but that's one of 15 or so.
May 5th, 2005 12:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:

dont get me wrong. Theres nothin' wrong with a nation celebrating a national day of historic importance.

Oddly enough, a lot of people in the UK (myself included) believe that we should take one of our two bank holidays in May and move it to October to commemorate Nelson's victory over Napoleon at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805

Not only would it break the year up better (as we have no holidays between August and Christmas), but its a public holiday that actually MEANS something.

It wont happen because the government might think France might be insulted if we change it (I doubt they'd care to be honest!)
May 5th, 2005 12:08 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
One of them definitely fits the stereotype but that's one of 15 or so.

15. In the same family?

well, there's the Irish stereotype right there!
May 5th, 2005 12:12 PM
glencar Nah, it's over 3 generations.
May 5th, 2005 12:13 PM
Nellcote Happy Happy!!
My family hails from the Mexican area of Italy...
May 5th, 2005 12:14 PM
Jumacfly to my mexican pals of RO..
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour