ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Thanks Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Auckland Western Springs Speedway,16th April 2006 - Setlist, Photos and Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th April 2006 06:24 AM
Jeep Photos Scoop / Karim Sahai :

17th April 2006 07:49 AM
heymjm
quote:
rybian wrote:
I recorded the whole show.I hopefully will have it up for grabs in the next couple of days after the tape transfer is done.

You are a gentleman sir! Looking foward to it.
17th April 2006 08:05 AM
heymjm
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

This is our point. Our frustration is based on the stones refusing to cater to the portion of thein base who is responsible for the most "per capita" revenue. For the fans who only attend one or two shows....it is what it is... a chance to see a few new songs live and see what made the stones what they are.

I too am having trouble understanding the constant criticism of the setlist. If, as most people do, you only see one show per tour, you will have potentially got 5 'never performed before' songs this time around - Sway + up to 4 from ABB. I don't think that's a bad deal and I am looking forward to hearing the 'warhorses' again. They are played repeatedly because they are GREAT songs and milestones in the history of popular music.

How many other bands touring today could put together a setlist where even a casual listener would recognize some 75% of the songs as classics?

In an ideal world the Stones would extend the set to 3 hours which would give them the opportunity to include some more variety and please everyone (including me!) - but I don't think that's going to happen!!!!!

If we look to the future, I would assume that this is the last stadium/arena tour we will see. However, there must be a realistic possibility that there will be small scale tours of up to 5,000 seater venues where we will benefit both from the more intimate atmosphere and a wider ranging setlist.

OK, had my say, now back to counting down for Twickenham :-)
17th April 2006 09:48 AM
corgi37 I'm still getting over Gypsy calling it Auckland, Australia.

Hope to catch up with you one day, Gypsy.

Maybe in Ontario, U.S.A.

Or, London, Germany.

If not, definately Copenhagen, Japan.
17th April 2006 10:27 AM
voodoopug
quote:
heymjm wrote:

I too am having trouble understanding the constant criticism of the setlist. If, as most people do, you only see one show per tour, you will have potentially got 5 'never performed before' songs this time around - Sway + up to 4 from ABB. I don't think that's a bad deal and I am looking forward to hearing the 'warhorses' again. They are played repeatedly because they are GREAT songs and milestones in the history of popular music.

How many other bands touring today could put together a setlist where even a casual listener would recognize some 75% of the songs as classics?

In an ideal world the Stones would extend the set to 3 hours which would give them the opportunity to include some more variety and please everyone (including me!) - but I don't think that's going to happen!!!!!

If we look to the future, I would assume that this is the last stadium/arena tour we will see. However, there must be a realistic possibility that there will be small scale tours of up to 5,000 seater venues where we will benefit both from the more intimate atmosphere and a wider ranging setlist.

OK, had my say, now back to counting down for Twickenham :-)

I appreciate your critisism. you did not viciously attack, rather you intelligently presented your viewpoint and forced me to take a look at my stance and re evaluate. The decision that I have made is that I think there are far more "hits" they can play that the common fan will recognize as opposed to the same ones, giving fans like me who travel to several shows a new experience of seeing great songs performed, as well as keeping the average fan entertained. I think these songs could be played and still be widely recognized:

Under My Thumb
19th Nervous Breakdown
ANybody seen my baby
Emotional Rescue
Fool to Cry
Have You Seen Your Mother Baby
It's All Over Now
I wanna be your Man
Lady Jane
Little Red Rooster
Let it Bleed
Love is Strong
Mixed Emotions
Mother's Little Helper
Not Fade Away
Off the Hook
Out of Time
Play With Fire
Street Fighting Man
Sweet Virginia
Tell Me
Time is on my Side
Waiting on a Friend
You Better Move On

These would still be recognized by a good selectoin of casual fans and the majority of them would be a treat for the die hard travelling fan (I enjoyed As Tears Go By as much as any song I have heard them perform live....and most folks knew that song).

Good discussion here.
17th April 2006 12:05 PM
heymjm
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I appreciate your critisism. you did not viciously attack, rather you intelligently presented your viewpoint and forced me to take a look at my stance and re evaluate. The decision that I have made is that I think there are far more "hits" they can play that the common fan will recognize as opposed to the same ones, giving fans like me who travel to several shows a new experience of seeing great songs performed, as well as keeping the average fan entertained. I think these songs could be played and still be widely recognized:

Under My Thumb
19th Nervous Breakdown
ANybody seen my baby
Emotional Rescue
Fool to Cry
It's All Over Now
I wanna be your Man
Lady Jane
Little Red Rooster
Let it Bleed
Love is Strong
Mixed Emotions
Mother's Little Helper
Not Fade Away
Off the Hook
Out of Time
Play With Fire
Street Fighting Man
Sweet Virginia
Tell Me
Time is on my Side
Waiting on a Friend
You Better Move On

These would still be recognized by a good selectoin of casual fans and the majority of them would be a treat for the die hard travelling fan (I enjoyed As Tears Go By as much as any song I have heard them perform live....and most folks knew that song).

Good discussion here.

You are absolutely right about the vast back catalogue of great songs that could be performed in rotation and still keep everyone in the audience entertained.

And of course there are other songs on ABB that we haven't heard yet. Personally I'd like to see 'laughinearlydied' and 'lookwhatthecatdraggedin' being given a turn. I'm actually getting a bit tired of 'ohnonotyouagain' (hang on, I'm arguing against myself here!)

Maybe the Stones are just short of rehearsal time? It's a pretty hectic schedule they're on.

I seem to remember Mick saying once that they didn't play more material from the 60s because they didn't want to go to the bother of teaching Ronnie the tunes.

So - maybe some quality reheasal time is required before the European and return North American legs start
17th April 2006 01:08 PM
voodoopug my old band performed many of the old sixties tunes....they are generally very easy to play.

I appreciate the excellent discussion!
17th April 2006 01:38 PM
Jeep
17th April 2006 01:45 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I think these songs could be played and still be widely recognized:

Under My Thumb
19th Nervous Breakdown
ANybody seen my baby
Emotional Rescue
Fool to Cry
It's All Over Now
I wanna be your Man
Lady Jane
Little Red Rooster
Let it Bleed
Love is Strong
Mixed Emotions
Mother's Little Helper
Not Fade Away
Off the Hook
Out of Time
Play With Fire
Street Fighting Man
Sweet Virginia
Tell Me
Time is on my Side
Waiting on a Friend
You Better Move On

Good discussion here.

Pug, I love that setlist. Do you think
it might be possible that the post-2006
Stones might play limited engagements with
high ticket prices? This would allow them
to play such a setlist knowing they had an
audience of die-hard fans instead of the current
mix of die-hards plus non-fans who are just
making the scene?

Would this type of plan have enough financial
incentive for them to do it?

SV

17th April 2006 03:02 PM
gypsy
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I'm still getting over Gypsy calling it Auckland, Australia.

Hope to catch up with you one day, Gypsy.

Maybe in Ontario, U.S.A.

Or, London, Germany.

If not, definately Copenhagen, Japan.

OMG! I didn't even realize I did that. I was REALLY tired, and we were having a party. So I was out of it. I hope that's a good enough excuse. My New Zealand buddies would get a kick out of my mix-up.
I would love to catch up with you one day too. You're on the list of people I'd like to greet. Maybe Oklahoma City, Venezuela?
17th April 2006 03:05 PM
gypsy Jeep - great pictures! Thanks for sharing!
17th April 2006 03:07 PM
voodoopug
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

Pug, I love that setlist. Do you think
it might be possible that the post-2006
Stones might play limited engagements with
high ticket prices? This would allow them
to play such a setlist knowing they had an
audience of die-hard fans instead of the current
mix of die-hards plus non-fans who are just
making the scene?

Would this type of plan have enough financial
incentive for them to do it?

SV

I really doubt it...it will be warhorses from here on out I beleive...but the almighty dollar does speak quite loudly!
17th April 2006 05:09 PM
GotToRollMe Hey Jeep, great job of keeping us apprised of the shows, setlists and newsclips! Thanks for that and for the photos. And Gypsy, as always many, many thanks for the incredible photos.
18th April 2006 05:34 AM
sidsnot would be extremely interested in obtaining a copy of anyones video of the april 16th western springs show,it was awesome,my first and possibly my last stones show and I would like a copy of it...anyone??..ree and sid at clear dot net dot nz...Thanks.
18th April 2006 05:48 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Jeep wrote:

"I was booorn in a crossfire..." ["crap, what was it again, why do we ALWAYS have to be so artsy and play this meaningless shit no one knows anyway, teleprompter, where did that stupid thing go to, I bet Chuck's behind this"]...
18th April 2006 07:59 AM
corgi37 If i ever hear SFM or WOAF again, i will surely die.

Gypsy - no worries.
19th April 2006 05:59 PM
kath nice pictures...keith looks simian and wonderful!
[Edited by kath]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)