ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1994 José Luis Velasco
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What's Everyone Listening to Right Now? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
April 9th, 2004 06:26 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Now and ready to sleep... he he I'm gonna listen to (in fact I'm listening right now) "Get yer fucking ya ya's out" babies... and again the LP not anything else
April 9th, 2004 07:13 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
"What's Everyone Listening to Right Now?"

Band of Gypsys... the LP not the CD nor the video (full of non-gypys btw)

That's funny, 'cos I am diggin' this right now...

Jimi Hendrix
Band of Gypsies
1/23/70
Studio C
Record Plant NY, NY
low gen studio recording>?>cdr>eac>shn

1 Villanova Junction
2 Villanova Junction Jam Session
3 Jam Session>MLK

Jimi Hendrix
Studio C
Record Plant NY, NY

5/14/70
1) Warm Up (0:54)
2) Lower Alcatraz (L.A track 7) (4:21)
3) Castrophe (alt.) (Shake That Tit) (0:17)

5/15/70
4) Freedom (no vocals) Record Plant May 15/70 (4:23)
5) Valleys Of Neptune (no vocals) Record Plant May 15/70 (4:34)
6) Catastrophe/Peter Gun Theme (2:19)
7) Freedom Record Plant May 15/70 (4:00)
8) Lover Man Record Plant May 15/70 (2:50)

Tracks 1,3,4,5,7,8 1st/2nd Gen from private tapes
Track 2 2nd gen Source
Track 6 on Loose Ends

April 9th, 2004 07:42 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Ice Age by the Jefferson Airplane... shit maybe the best song by my neighbours at 2400 Fulton Street in San Francisco

...I'm goin' up to Frisco to join' a sike.ay-delic baaaaaaaaand
April 9th, 2004 10:35 AM
Nasty Habits Rock the wax, Voodoo!

Right now it's DMZ for me, see? (Actually not the vinyl, the Sire album FINALLY came out on CD! What a freaking classic.)

April 9th, 2004 10:51 AM
Joey

New WHO ......................Can't get enough ! ............................and you ?!?!?!

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacky T.
April 9th, 2004 11:22 AM
T&A Allmans new live disc - One Way Out (Beacon '03) - their best official release since Eat a Peach...

killer, killer, killer. Cannot wait to see Allmans with the Dead 7/3/04 at the Gorge. Haynes playing in both bands - this is basically 2/3 of Watkins Glen revisited!
April 9th, 2004 03:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot Neil Young-Ragged Glory, Freedom, & Tonight's The Night

Skip James-The Complete Early Sessions(again, been listening to Skip a bunch.)

Bowie-Reality
April 9th, 2004 03:14 PM
jb 1)Brussels
2)Leed Lungs
3)Philly Special show 1
4)Handsome Girls disc 3
5)Fort Worth
6)Schlomo Carbal Jewish Folk songs.
April 9th, 2004 03:23 PM
shakedhandswithkeith B.B. King live in Hamburg/`88
April 9th, 2004 03:25 PM
Joey

1. Steely Dan " Camden '03 "
2. Steely Dan " Denver '00 "
3. Stones " Philly '81 "
4. The Who " Denver '02 "
5. Poco's Greatest Hits

{ CA - RACK }

Triple Ronnie !

Jersey !
April 9th, 2004 03:35 PM
MrPleasant 10cc- Sheet Music
Alice Cooper- Killer
Laine/Townshend- Rough Mix

April 9th, 2004 03:42 PM
Joey " Laine/Townshend- Rough Mix "

I would like to nuzzle you .
April 9th, 2004 03:45 PM
zebulon
quote:
T&A wrote:
Allmans new live disc - One Way Out (Beacon '03) - their best official release since Eat a Peach...

killer, killer, killer. Cannot wait to see Allmans with the Dead 7/3/04 at the Gorge. Haynes playing in both bands - this is basically 2/3 of Watkins Glen revisited!

Hey, that's good to hear. Actually, I'm a huge fan of the ABB without knowing the after Duane/Dickey times. I only recently re-discovered them. And maybe you, T&A, can reconfirm about another new release of a live concert by the classic ABB: Live at the Atlanta Pop Festival - that must have been 1970. I think, that's a killer, too, whaddya think?
April 9th, 2004 03:51 PM
jb
April 9th, 2004 03:59 PM
Monkey Woman Lost in a time loop, jb???

April 9th, 2004 04:02 PM
jb
April 9th, 2004 04:09 PM
T&A Zebulon:

I haven't picked up that one yet..but there's no question any decent recording of that era of the ABB is gonna be killer.

I do emplore you to check out their new one and report your reaction to it, though. Also, last year's studio release - Hittin' the Note - is well worth checking out. It may be their best studio album since Brothers & Sisters. Has a very cool cover of the Stones' Heart of Stone on it...
April 9th, 2004 04:21 PM
Factory Girl Dylan "Time Out of Mind"
April 9th, 2004 04:39 PM
Joey
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Dylan "Time Out of Mind"

Steely Dan " Time Out of Mind "
April 9th, 2004 06:07 PM
Ten Thousand Motels AC/DC

"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't"
April 9th, 2004 07:33 PM
mac_daddy dylan 3/26/2004 best sounding source of the tour that I have heard...

and he's playin' "Ain't Goin' Nowhere"

the back end of the double feature will be this fan-created set (which looks wonderful!)...

Keith Richards
"Toronto Blues"
March 12, 1977, 1980 & 81

(the following notes are not written by me)

These are among some of the most poignant songs ever recorded by a rock-n-roller. I put this CD together years ago from some old LPs I had. I have not removed any pops or crackles as I enjoy the nostalgia of "listening to records," and in fact it adds to the mood and listening enjoyment of these tracks. Most of these songs were recorded during Keith's drug bust in Canada in 1977. He was in a desperate state because it looked like he was going to spend time in prison. The sessions started the night before the
sentencing on March 12, 1977. Victor Bockris writes:

"Richards went into Interchange Studios . . .and recorded five songs . . . The most remarkable aspect of these recordings was Keith's rusty, high-pitched voice, which had never been heard sounding like this on record . . .The years of smoking, drinking and staying up for days singing and talking had added layers too-his defensive, noncommittal, negative adolescent voice which had given way to the keenly expressive, edge-of-tears sound of a man straining to give vent to his emotions. . . Listening to him sing . . . one got the feeling that Keith had thrown his whole being into the sessions and was finally unleashing emotions he had never expressed verbally. This was the closest he had come
to expressing how fragile and tortured he often felt."

There are a couple of takes of most of the Toronto songs. The first take is generally Keith on the piano, with subsequent takes that have added guitar and additional harmony: all by Keith. The other tunes were recorded a few years later in 1981 at Longview
Farms.

" . . . he sat down at the piano and started to play a sentimental . . . ballad . "I suppose you think it's all fun being me. Listen, I never get a chance to sing by myself like this,
play the piano, without some bastard weirding out and asking me why I wasn't playing the guitar and looking mean . . . I bet you didn't think I could play the piano, did you? Or sing classics from the thirties? Well, I can.""

The CD closes with 2 great tracks from the Compass Point Studios during the recording for the "Emotional Rescue" album. On track 19 Keiths "gold-labelled vocals glide competently over what is quite a sentimental song." On track 20 we get "a classic out-take featuring a 'one-sided duet' between Keith Richards and an unknown female artist. Seemingly written by Keith . . . it is a splendid ballad full of soulful ramblings.

Enjoy this very personal look at these never meant to be released recordings.

Tracks:
01. Sing Me Back Home #1
02. She Still Comes Around
03. Worried Life Blues #1
04. Apartment # 9 - #1
05. Say It's Not You #1
06. Honey Don't
07. Blue Monday
08. What a Feeling #1
09. All I Have to do is Dream
10. The Nearness of You
11. Whole lotta Shakin'
12. Sing Me Back Home #2
13. Say It's Not You #2
14. Apartment # 9 - #2
15. What a Feeling #2
16. Sing Me Back Home #3
17. Apartment #9 - #3
18. Worried Life Blues #2
19. We Had it All
20. Let's Go Steady

_____

edit: and to complete the trifecta...

Jimi Hendrix Experience
1968-10-11 (Friday): Winterland Arena, Post & Steiner Streets, San Francisco, CA

1st show
01 - Are You Experienced
02 - Voodoo Child (slight return)
03 - Red House
04 - Foxy Lady
05 - Star Spangled Banner
06 - Purple Haze

2nd show
01 - Tax Free
02 - Spanish Castle Magic
03 - Like A Rolling Stone
04 - Lover Man
05 - Hey Joe
06 - Fire
07 - Foxy Lady
08 - Purple Haze

with Virgil Gonsales on flute on (1) and Herbie Rich on organ on (9-13).

++ Technical difficulties with the original tape-deck, meant that the last 3 tracks were not recorded. An audience recording from a low gen audience source is used to complete the set, rather than miss them out altogether !!

The audience sourced tracks are :- 1968-10-11 - Foxy Lady, Star Spangled Banner & Purple Haze - the rest of the sets are all 1st gen SOUNDBOARD ......... ++

[Edited by mac_daddy]
[Edited by mac_daddy]
April 10th, 2004 08:44 AM
polksalad69 Hendrix's blues cd. Trying to figure out if it really is blues.
April 10th, 2004 09:24 AM
Sir Stonesalot Well, obviously, it's not traditional blues.

It's Jimi's reading of the blues. Close enough for me.
April 10th, 2004 05:14 PM
Nasty Habits Dr. Ross -- His First Recordings
Julius Hemphill -- Roi Boye and the Gotham Minstrels
The History of the Lefte Bank
Howard Tate s/t LP on Atlantic
April 10th, 2004 05:38 PM
Factory Girl Stones Hartford'81. Just My Imagination in on now.
April 10th, 2004 06:01 PM
Monkey Woman The Best of The Blues (Martin Scorcese series soundtrack sampler CD)

Just know: Muddy Waters, Hoochie Coochie Man
April 19th, 2004 12:33 AM
beer as of right now..

Fugazi "13 Songs" I couldn't recomend anything more than this right now

Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Fever to Tell" spastic, but good.

Stones "Beggars Banquet" Duh...

I also recommend quitting smoking, to anyone that smokes. Yeah!

April 19th, 2004 12:52 AM
ResidentMule
quote:
Joey wrote:

Steely Dan " Time Out of Mind "

me too. 8/17/03
April 19th, 2004 12:58 AM
stonedinaustralia have had "thru and thru" on continuous repeat over the last few days

i've always liked it but am now having a kind of "love affair" with it - tho that's likely to end today as i just bought myself a nice hendrix compilation at lunch time and that is sure to get a thrashing

anyway, re "thru and thru" it is a vintage stones track (imo) in that it manages to evoke that "sinister" feeling that was so much a part of their sound in the'60's - i'm thinking "paint it black", "jumping jack flash", "sympathy"
- just something dark and a little unsettleing (sp?)- that drum sound is both ominous and awesome as are the backing vocals

Page: 1 2 3 4