ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

R.I.P. Doris Richards
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why Don't The Stones Open The Vaults? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
10th April 2007 03:43 PM
MemoFromTinaTurner It would be great if they would release stuff like "Ladies & Gentleman", the "Cocksucker Blues" documentary, etc... There must be a lot of footage from that time that hasn't seen the light. Also, there are a bunch of TV appearances from the 60's and 70's that haven't been released like their appearance on the David Frost show in 1968 performing "Sympathy For The Devil" and another song. I believe that was the last time Brian appeared on TV. That footage hasn't even surfaced in bootlegs but I know they have it 'cause some of that footage is included on the promo video of that dance version of "Sympathy For The Devil" that came out some time ago.

Open the vaults!
10th April 2007 03:44 PM
pdog Where's the keys?
10th April 2007 03:46 PM
mojoman
quote:
pdog wrote:
Where's the keys?

south of miami?
10th April 2007 03:48 PM
pdog
quote:
mojoman wrote:

south of miami?

That's geographical posting on the high seas right there.
10th April 2007 03:49 PM
Mel Belli Mick's reasoning -- I don't find it very persuasive -- is that the Stones are still a going concern.
10th April 2007 04:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Mick's reasoning -- I don't find it very persuasive -- is that the Stones are still a going concern.

he also has enough trouble convincing himself that his audience knows anything beyond 40 Licks, so I doubt he'll have much faith in them wanting to hear "I Love Ladies" or "Still A Fool"
10th April 2007 04:22 PM
texile
quote:
Gazza wrote:

he also has enough trouble convincing himself that his audience knows anything beyond 40 Licks, so I doubt he'll have much faith in them wanting to hear "I Love Ladies" or "Still A Fool"

how stupid is that?
is he that deluded? seriously?
i would much prefer to see the vaults opened than yet ANOTHER filmed tour doc of their last efforts.
10th April 2007 04:26 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I think, too, there's a part of Mick that just doesn't want to be bothered. Which strikes me as a strange lapse in judgment, coming from someone who's "passionate about details" (his words). Remember the hackwork that were the "Rarities" liner notes? It doesn't exactly leave you with the impression that the vaults, if and when they're opened, will be presented to the public with anything like conscientiousness.
10th April 2007 04:28 PM
gimmekeef The last time they did.....Tattoo You ...seemed to work nicely but cant see them doing it now....Too much work...Plus my hunch is we have all the gems already...
10th April 2007 04:28 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
texile wrote:

More a case of being out of touch than deluded.
10th April 2007 04:32 PM
Saint Sway I think they intentially held back the gems and decided not to put any on Rarities

my half-baked theory is that had they put out a record with some really good cuts from the vault at the same time that ABB was out it would make ABB look laughable. Rarites was just a side note and ABB was able to remain the focus

however, if they had released a "Rarities" album at that time with songs like Spare Parts, Claudine, Good Time Woman, Living In The Heart Of Love, So Young etc... it would of smoked ABB and sounded like the "real" Stones album we all have been craving to hear for decades. Mick would of hated all the attention being lavished on their past
10th April 2007 04:37 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I think they intentially held back the gems and decided not to put any on Rarities

my half-baked theory is that had they put out a record with some really good cuts from the vault at the same time that ABB was out it would make ABB look laughable. Rarites was just a side note and ABB was able to remain the focus

however, if they had released a "Rarities" album at that time with songs like Spare Parts, Claudine, Good Time Woman, Living In The Heart Of Love, So Young etc... it would of smoked ABB and sounded like the "real" Stones album we all have been craving to hear for decades. Mick would of hated all the attention being lavished on their past

Maybe ... But Gazza was probably right that "Rarities" was a way for them to clear the decks at Virgin... I doubt they gave it any more consideration than that. As jb would say, the whole thing was an unmitigated abortion.
10th April 2007 04:39 PM
Saint Sway yeah its obvious Rarities was a toss-off. And they werent going to let anything of real value get on it.
10th April 2007 05:08 PM
Gazza
quote:
texile wrote:

how stupid is that?

well, this is a man who apologetically introduced "Sway" at a show last year as "an obscurity".

A song from 'Sticky Fingers', texile - an album is universally regarded as a classic, that sold about 8 million and is the 3rd biggest selling studio release in the band's career. How can ANYTHING on Sticky Fingers be 'obscure'?

The revisionism in the Stones' attitude to their history post-40 Licks is unbelievable. Mick always stressed the importance of the Stones being a current act with new material and said they would never be a nostalgia act. Something which I always thought was a very admirable trait.

Then, they released a definitive greatest hits package that sold about 9 million copies, saw the dollar signs and figured out all of a sudden that nostalgia wasnt such a bad idea after all...
10th April 2007 05:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
yeah its obvious Rarities was a toss-off. And they werent going to let anything of real value get on it.

Nor should they have, as it was supposed to be a collection of 'rare' material as opposed to 'unreleased'. So, b-sides and the like was a reasonable enough concept.

Unfortunately, any credibility was lost in the execution, as about half of the songs werent 'rare' but were on currently available albums. Including material from albums such as "Stripped", which is so rare that it sold 3.5 million copies.....

Should have been renamed "Sampler"...
10th April 2007 06:23 PM
quackenbush Maybe the Stones don't want to be bothered sifting through all of the material in the vault, but I bet you that Bill Wyman would love it. He's the only guy I would trust to put together an album of unreleased tracks. After all, the man was a Stone and he has an intimate knowledge of what is in the so called vault.
10th April 2007 06:28 PM
mojoman
quote:
quackenbush wrote:
Maybe the Stones don't want to be bothered sifting through all of the material in the vault, but I bet you that Bill Wyman would love it. He's the only guy I would trust to put together an album of unreleased tracks. After all, the man was a Stone and he has an intimate knowledge of what is in the so called vault.

intimate knowledge alrite!
10th April 2007 06:47 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

well, this is a man who apologetically introduced "Sway" at a show last year as "an obscurity"...

...and who made this introduction in Atlantic City last year: "We'll do this song for you now, one that's not very well-known, but we're going to make it known to you...this one's called "She Was Hot."

Every time I listen to that I just wanna strangle him.
10th April 2007 06:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
quackenbush wrote:
Maybe the Stones don't want to be bothered sifting through all of the material in the vault, but I bet you that Bill Wyman would love it. He's the only guy I would trust to put together an album of unreleased tracks. After all, the man was a Stone and he has an intimate knowledge of what is in the so called vault.

The Stones have shown on the cover of Rarities how much they value Bill's contribution to their history.

The Dead, as far as I'm aware, left the job to a fan and archivist. I doubt Dylan had much to do with the track selection of his Bootleg Series either

I'll gladly plough my way through their vaults for nothing more than beer money.
[Edited by Gazza]
10th April 2007 07:22 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The Stones have shown on the cover of Rarities how much they value Bill's contribution to their history.

The Dead, as far as I'm aware, left the job to a fan and archivist. I doubt Dylan had much to do with the track selection of his Bootleg Series either

I'll gladly plough my way through their vaults for nothing more than beer money.
[Edited by Gazza]

Geez who could afford your beer intake?...lol..the damn album would cost $125.....
10th April 2007 07:28 PM
Gazza I cant imagine the tool who spent 2 minutes researching the liner notes for Rarities or the hearing impaired dickwad who edited Live Licks were paid anywhere near as much as that, so it would be breaking new ground for them to hire someone who was professional enough to GIVE a shit.

I dont come cheap!
10th April 2007 08:53 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The Dead, as far as I'm aware, left the job to a fan and archivist.
[Edited by Gazza]

Dick

Dick Latvala, RIP...but he left a list behind and they're stickin' to it....

"this stuff's WAY more important than Beethoven" he said

and Dick was right

10th April 2007 08:56 PM
WhenTheWhipComesDown Doesn't someone else own those tapes and songs like ABKCO
of the Allen Klein department? I would think Mick and band
wouldn't mind releasing them but I had thought that someone else owned a lot of those Sixties
and maybe 70's stuff. It wouldn't be Mick going through them
anyway it would be other people that would do it?
10th April 2007 09:17 PM
Mel Belli That scene in "Being Mick" where we see some of the late-'70s Paris sessions being digitized shows that the stuff is being preserved and documented. There's at least the potential for some decent packages down the line...
10th April 2007 09:30 PM
texile
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

maybe that's the problem - the stones are too involved and too out of touch with their own legacy and worth.
10th April 2007 09:32 PM
texile
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I think they intentially held back the gems and decided not to put any on Rarities

i tend to beieve that theory -
same with the live 72, 73 stuff.....
who wants to be reminded of your glory years when you're peter pan.
10th April 2007 09:56 PM
mac_daddy the difference between the dead and the stones isnt that one recorded and the other didnt. ask marshall chess where the 1972 material is...

the dif. is that the dead were cool with the warts and all thing - they would release live stuff without overdubs (they would edit the stuff down, but for the most part the live albums are free from overdubs). and the dicks picks and one from the vault series releases arent overdubbed at all. the stones overdub everything they release that is live, and i think the live stuff gets permanently stalled in that post production quagmire - 'cos i am pretty sure the stones record every gig, and that they have been doing so for a very long time (my guess is since 1972, at least).

i bet if stu were alive, he would be on top of all this sh*t.

10th April 2007 10:14 PM
Lazy Bones ...hug a taper, to-day!
10th April 2007 10:43 PM
Gimme Shelter Someday........
11th April 2007 12:40 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
...hug a taper, to-day!

Word!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)