ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Uri Geller
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie to stop touring after Dec.2006 Return to archive Page: 1 2
15th April 2006 01:21 PM
stones40 Stones tour shock

15apr06

ROLLING Stones drummer Charlie Watts is to quit the global touring circuit in December.

Stones sources said Watts, 64, agreed to play a 2005-06 world tour on the condition frontman Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards promised it was the last time.
"Charlie did not want to tour the latest album," a Stones insider said.

"Keith begged him to do it. It took a lot of negotiation. Charlie agreed if Keith promised he would not ask him to do another world tour."

Sources stressed Watts was not quitting the Stones, nor would he stop live performances.

But he had made it clear he planned to stop globe-hopping when the latest Stones tour, A Bigger Bang, wrapped in Hawaii in December.

Sources said Watts's health and family forced his decision. The drummer was treated for throat cancer last year. He underwent a minor operation and had six weeks of radiotherapy.

Jagger said the treatment left Watts feeling sapped of energy.

After his health scare, Watts has relished more time with wife Shirley and daughter Seraphina.

Last week, Watts's plan was corroborated by an LA music store owner and friend of Richards. And rock expert Glenn A. Baker said he spoke to Jagger during the 1994 Voodoo Lounge tour about Watts's future.

"One of the things Mick said to me, and he was very serious about this, is the Stones will end when Charlie quits," Baker said yesterday.

"Mick said the Stones would survive the loss of anybody, including Jagger himself, but it couldn't survive the loss of Charlie."

For those fans in the USA who have boycotted the tour because of ticket prices/set lists
you may well have missed your last chance to see the'Rolling Stones' perform
in live concert.
The European fan base is lucky because they can see the 'Rolling Stones' in live concert this summer.
If you think that this is just another rumour please remember that stonesdoug/BV
indicated last year that this was likely to be the last big world tour by the'Stones'
15th April 2006 01:23 PM
Honky Tonk Man Me and you must've posted at the exact same time!

I'll be the diplomat and delete my thread.
15th April 2006 01:26 PM
gimmekeef As sad as this is if true...it does make sense.Besides global demand is waning and a few select shows in A Towns will work nicely.As long as there is still a band...?
15th April 2006 01:31 PM
LadyJane Not surprised...didn't we all know in our hearts that they were going out with A Bigger Bang?

I have no regrets about going into debt to see them and if they return in the Fall I'll be at as many shows as I can.

Whiners and naysayers....bite me.

I'm happy to have had them in my life for as long as I have.

tearfully,
LJ.
15th April 2006 01:32 PM
PeerQueer This is not big news - it has been speculated this would be the last major outing by the Stones - in fact such talk was circulating prior to the LICKS tour - that the band was going to do LICKS then one last major tour behind an album.

From here, expect some solo stuff by Keith and Ron (w/Rod - gonna be a HUGE success!) in '07-08, then...?????

Mick has already started turning his focus back on his film production company.

End of an era - but it was time.

We might get one more collective studio effort from them - maybe.
15th April 2006 01:33 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
tearfully,
LJ.

Don't cry Lady Jane! The article says he'll still perform with the Stones. They'll play in the States after this tour. It's not over... YET!
15th April 2006 01:39 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Don't cry Lady Jane! The article says he'll still perform with the Stones. They'll play in the States after this tour. It's not over... YET!

Oh...it's more than this HTM.

Just a rough day...I've had a lot of personal loss this year.

Just not ready to lose my Band. Never will be.

I KNOW, though, that I WILL see them again.

Thanks.

LJ.
15th April 2006 01:43 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Not surprised...didn't we all know in our hearts that they were going out with A Bigger Bang?

I have no regrets about going into debt to see them and if they return in the Fall I'll be at as many shows as I can.

Whiners and naysayers....bite me.

I'm happy to have had them in my life for as long as I have.

tearfully,
LJ.

Ditto.
15th April 2006 01:53 PM
Paranoid_Android How long before Mick & Keith do a duet tour kinda thing ala Plant & Page??

The first album is probobly already in the can...
[Edited by Paranoid_Android]
15th April 2006 01:54 PM
rocker I for one am glad to hear this. I think its time for them to stop the major tours and focus on thier families. They dont have many years left. Besides i like the idea of a concert here and there, as oppossed to night after night. It will build up more anticipation, and the intensity, fire, and rawness will exhibit itself better in the occassional show. Plus i like the idea of them still making albums. Perhaps the band functioning in such a new manner will be create a newfound interest, and they will be taken more seriously, and this will be seen as sign of maturity by taking this path. This can be their way of paving unchartered territory for future bands to grow old gracefully. Im so glad i was able to take my 8 year old son to a fantastic show in Atlanta this year. They are still and always will be the greatest rock n roll band in the world.
15th April 2006 02:11 PM
kath can you blame him? i mean, jeeez, look what he's been through just since 40 licks!!!!

thank you mr. watts for all you've given me, the fun, the joy, the best damn rock and roll in the universe.

i know you will continue your jazz gigs and i will try to see you as much as i can, but you just take care of yourself and enjoy your family.

15th April 2006 02:21 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
kath wrote:
can you blame him? i mean, jeeez, look what he's been through just since 40 licks!!!!

thank you mr. watts for all you've given me, the fun, the joy, the best damn rock and roll in the universe.

i know you will continue your jazz gigs and i will try to see you as much as i can, but you just take care of yourself and enjoy your family.

He hasn't QUIT! It's a shame, but it's not the end of the world and of course Kath, your right. He HAS been through enough since 40 Licks. It's just that I'm getting the impression that some are getting the wrong end of the stick. I suppose it's the beginning of the end in a way, but unless you live in some remote hideaway, I reckon we'll al get the chance to see Charlie and the boys again after this tours over.
15th April 2006 03:27 PM
keithriffhard my specualtion is we will still have a thriving band, after the half-assed solo studio efforts and live treatments of this tour. Charlie just doesn't want to go to the States for 5 weeks, then straight to Japan for 3 weeks then to Europe for 8, I mean yeah it should take a lot out of him, and we respect that because he's gone through a lot. hopefully they won't just being playing a "Select Cities" U.S tour in the future like Cream did (that was gay that they did that, oh well). We still got the greatest R N R band the whole wide fucking world.
[Edited by keithriffhard]
15th April 2006 06:09 PM
Gazza
Sad news if its true, but its pretty much along the lines of what I heard at the start of this tour - ie, they wouldnt do another major tour after this one. I've been convinced all year that this will be the last Stones shows I see.

Charlie has hinted at this for several tours however, so who knows? However with what he's been through in the last couple of years, no one should begrudge him the right to prioritise other aspects of his life.

[Edited by Gazza]
15th April 2006 06:21 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Where does it say he'll still perform with the Stones??

I took that as saying the band would continue. However, if Charlie isnt going to do any tours, that would rule out 'performing with the Stones' unless they dramatically reinvent the way they present themselves as a live act. I interpreted the 'live performances' line as a way of saying that he would play shows as and when it suits (eg jazz gigs around London etc - or other such commitments which dont involve touring)

Problem with the Stones is that they cant get themselves together to do any live work at all unless its within the confines of a lengthy mega-tour. Think about it - how many times since Hyde Park '69 have the Stones performed outside of a 'tour'. To save you the trouble of looking them up, heres the sum total :

1977 - two shows at the El Mocambo,Toronto - to tape a live album
1979 - two shows in Oshawa, Canada - as part of the terms of Keith's 'sentence'
1986 - club show in London as a memorial for Stu.

Five small-scale 'standalone' shows in 37 years and none in the last 20. If the Stones arent going to do any big tours after 2006 but still perform from time to time, its going to take a complete about turn in the way this band operates.
15th April 2006 06:29 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

If the Stones arent going to do any big tours after 2006 but still perform from time to time, its going to take a complete about turn in the way this band operates.

$$$ ... If they play two shows in NYC, LA Chicago or whatever, in a small theater, and they charge $2k or $3k or more a ticket, they'll do it, and Charlie would have no problem doing it. I think that's what we'll see, or maybe arenas instead of clubs, but outrageous prices. And that's the best we'll get, if we get anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a Fall Toyr as the last tour too. That'll give them the chance to bleed us on the ticket prices. We all know, there's last tours, and then there's last tours.
15th April 2006 06:49 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:

$$$ ... If they play two shows in NYC, LA Chicago or whatever, in a small theater, and they charge $2k or $3k or more a ticket, they'll do it, and Charlie would have no problem doing it. I think that's what we'll see, or maybe arenas instead of clubs, but outrageous prices. And that's the best we'll get, if we get anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a Fall Toyr as the last tour too. That'll give them the chance to bleed us on the ticket prices. We all know, there's last tours, and then there's last tours.

well, it takes no more time to rehearse a show for an arena than it does for a club/theatre. So, if they can put together a show which they can charge a lot of money for, they're more likely to want to perform it at MSG than they are at the Beacon Theatre or somewhere like that.

Ive maintained for some time that the way forward (not least of all because of the physically demanding aspect of touring for months on end when youre in your 60's and have had health issues) is to do shorter tours in the way Dylan does, but to do maybe 3 tours, one month or so at a time, each year as opposed to doing an 18 month megatour and then effectively closing the band down for about two years afterwards the way they normally do. By keeping it 'ticking over' you eliminate the need for about 6 weeks rehearsal every time they need to play any live shows. That system also leaves them plenty of time for other 'projects' if they want to do that.

Personally speaking, I didnt intend to travel to shows anymore after this tour (certainly not outside western Europe anyway) and didnt expect them to tour again after 2006 so this doesnt change things very much. However, I read somewhere a few days ago about Mick talking about what sort of shows they'd do in future tours after this one, so maybe this is all a fuss over very little.
[Edited by Gazza]
15th April 2006 07:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot The Stones are headed to Vegas and Atlantic City.

They will do month long engagements. They will make bazillions of dollars. And Charlie will play.

15th April 2006 07:40 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Where does it say he'll still perform with the Stones??

Well, it doesn’t specify that he'll actually continue to perform WITH The Stones, but I took the line "Sources stressed Watts was not quitting the Stones, nor would he stop live performances." as meaning that he'd continue to play live in the future with the band itself. The reason I assumed that is because it's part of the same sentence about him not quitting the Stones. If it was referring to jazz, I’d of thought it’s specify it. I 100% agree with you about The Stones having to drastically change their performance routine to change things round, but you never know, they may do this.
15th April 2006 07:43 PM
monkeyman62 after all this worrying about charlie not touring
just watch what happens in 2008 -2009, the stones will hold a press conf in new york announcing a big tour and charlie will be there, count on it
15th April 2006 09:52 PM
mrhipfl No big news. I support Charlie 100%. I still think that the stones will tour with Charlie, just doing theatre shows and maybe a north american tour one year, britain the next.
15th April 2006 09:57 PM
Soldatti Not a real surprise, he already said it in the PC last year.
It will be interesting to see the next step of the band the next year.
16th April 2006 08:06 AM
corgi37 Well, there will be no new stuff, thats for sure. Maybe they'll just play 1/2 a dozen U.S. major cities every couple of years. But hey, even a that means they are skating towards 70.

Time to stop. Go out on top.
16th April 2006 08:34 AM
DizzyDutchman there will be ''NEW'' stuff, and there will also be a new tour... hey, nobody said charlie is leaving the band, they just going to take it easy after this world tour.

this is not the end! well, it's the beginning of the end...

i hope they don't let me pay twice as much as i payd for my BB Tickets...

Michael
16th April 2006 09:51 AM
gimmekeef A year off..rest and relax....then a visit from Keith...a bit of cajoling...and away we go!....Fingers crossed here!
16th April 2006 11:46 AM
glencar I'm fine if it's over. I've seen enough shows from 10 feet away. I never gota pick or a drumstick but boy! was it a great run!
16th April 2006 12:17 PM
Angiegirl Look, the Amsterdam ArenA can never be the last (dreadful) venue I'm gonna see them at! Impossible, that sux!

I guess I'll have to start saving for Hawaii or another cool US venue then...
We'll have the Summit blast of the century!
16th April 2006 12:32 PM
LadyJane Angie....I don't really think the Stones can play their last show until the entire ROCC is in the audience TOGETHER.

Fall Summit...Fall Summit.

LJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
16th April 2006 12:32 PM
glencar Come to MSG, Angie! Nothing cooler than that! Not even Omaha's Qwest Center!
16th April 2006 01:34 PM
Angiegirl I already saw 2 shows at MSG, in January '98, and it was snowing and very cold. Hawaii has better weather in the Fall right??
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)