ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 - Baron Wolman
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What do your friends and family think of the Stones? Return to archive Page: 1 2
04-07-03 08:44 PM
vampire My dad died about 10 years ago. He hated the Stones because - he use to say - they were a bunch of junkies. But my dad was military, that is, a fucking bastard moralist cinical (sorry dad, but you deserve)

Momy, in the other hand, use to gave me money to buy records. She liked to listening sweet songs, as Lady Jane, As Tears Go By, Time Is On My Side, Angie, Wild Horses, I Don�t Know Why, Yesterday, Michelle, Girl, In My Life, I Want To Hold Your Hand, All You Need Is Love, The Fool On The Hill, ...among others...
Sweet Mom, love Ya!

See how different can be a kid reaction depending what your parents think about Stones?

Now, here in MY home, well, everybody love Stones, but I love more. There are PEOPLE here that prefer to hear other stuff, like hip hop, classical stuff, bossanova stuff, stuff stuff stuff.

Well, i promise DO NOT calling names to anyone and do NOT hate to anyone as well. But...HEY, GET FUCK OUT HERE, YOU LITTLE SHIT!

[Edited by vampire]
04-07-03 08:51 PM
*ginda The cheese stands alone at my house as well.
04-07-03 09:07 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Most all of my friends like The Stones. Although I wouldn't goes as far to say that they go out of their way to catch them on tour. Back when I was in high school (early 80's) it seemed that there were always two groups of people, the ones that were into The Stones and the ones that weren't. It seemed all the sissy boys, preps and uppity girls were the ones into pop and the new wave crap while the "cool" crowd, the jocks, sluts and dopers were spin'n Stones records. Ah some things never change, it was like that in the early 60's, the 80's and to a certain extent, it's still like that!
04-07-03 10:34 PM
throbby My dad was in the military also but more on the PR side. He was a marching band musician who would perform all over. He also played stand up acoustic base in the areas resort nightclubs. A big band, trad jazz kind of guy. Christ, he had some big callouses on his fingertips from his base. The Stones never came up till I was 19. I was deep into Ya Ya's at this time. One day,tired of my headphones, I decided to play it on his personal hi-fi. I very shortly found out what he thought of the Stones. "What the..get THAT SHIT off my turntable". You would have thought the hordes of subversion were storming the gates from the look on his face. I think he really felt threatened by what they stood for. Funny, now the Stones are older than my dad lived to be and are quite respected in society.
My wife never listens to their music but enjoys going to the occasional concert. My seven year old son digs the Stones music and the way they look on stage. I have a brother that's into them somewhat, and a very few precious friends who feel the vibe.
All the others look at me as if I've lost my mind.
04-08-03 02:13 AM
littleredrooster My family just tolerates my obsession!

My brother recently 'grilled' my nephew,(I took nephew to 3 shows in LA and SF)
'Did he (me) really go to see the Stones 14 times in 2002'?
Nephew replied, 'NO'! Only 12 times in 2002 and twice so far in 2003!
Seven shows to come in Europe!!!!

They haven't had me committed,YET!
04-08-03 07:05 AM
Zeeta Family -
bro - loves them not as much as me but he knowss his shit
Mum - Doesn't understand wht I'm listening to music that was around when she was a kid,,,(er because it's the shit maybe!)
Dad - prefers the beatles nuff said!

Friends - low knowledge but I am educating them - as all they have is the ubiquitous Hot Rocks!

One day they'll all be on this board!

04-08-03 10:56 AM
Pattie
you keep reaching for the stars Rollie, one day we�ll see them here I�m sure.
04-08-03 11:14 AM
Maxlugar My friends and family think I'm a backwards loser living in the past with nothing better to do. A lonely fuck up in his basement, obsessing on times gone by, waiting for something to happen that will make my life useful and productive.

Then they heard I like the Rolling Stones and they love me!

{{{{CA-RACK BANG BOOM!!!}}}}

Bob Costas: Whoa! That's some serious shit Vince. Our boy Maxy knows just when to turn it up a notch huh?

Vince Scully: Damn straight you Greek son of a bitch!

Bob Costas: What the hell his wrong with you today Vince?

Vince Scully: It's this damn butt plug! It hurts. I can't even concentrate on the game anymore. I think I'm bleeding.

Bob Costas: You want me to take it out for you?

Vince Scully: Nah.

Mel Allen's head: HOW ABOUT THAT!!!

END TRANSMISSION.

04-08-03 11:50 AM
Joey " Damn Straight you Greek son of a Bitch ! "

< ------ The ground just shook from me laughing so hard that one would think Mohammad Ali and Katherine Hepburn were shaking hands over here ........................

You are a sweetheart !

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Skittles }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

04-08-03 01:52 PM
jb You know, the Stones are analogous to Clinton...you either hate them or love them. I am amazed how "popular" they have remained given the fact that most from our parents generation "despised" them as the antithesis to the clean cut, gay image the Beatles had. It is a credit to fans like us, who have stuck with them throughout the years despite what our parents and peers thought. I even remember way back in 78 how kids thought they were old, had gone disco, etc, and were praising the likes of Cheap Trick(not too bad really), Van Halen, Aerosmith, Styx, and of course, what's highschool without the kids smoking cigarettes on the wall listening to Led Zepplin.....We had to endure it all, but look whose left standing...only the Stones.......
[Edited by jb]
04-08-03 01:55 PM
Maxlugar Yeah and us Josh. We're still standing and all those other kids are dead.

At least I hope so.

Anyway....

MACKY!
04-08-03 01:57 PM
jb Sorry about the reference to that Elton John song.
04-08-03 02:10 PM
Maxlugar I actually like Elton John's I'm Still Standing.

Hug me.

04-08-03 02:47 PM
magicwoman *hugs*:P
04-08-03 02:48 PM
Joey " I even remember way back in 78 how kids thought they were old, had gone disco, etc, and were praising the likes of ..............."

'78 ?!?!?!?!?!?!

'78 ?!?!?!?!?!?!

I remember nothing from the year 1978 .

Absolutely NOTHING !

" So tie me up and call me Suzi Ronnie "

JACKY !!!!!
04-08-03 05:23 PM
Sir Stonesalot Tis a good topic, this one here.

My wife likes the Stones...well, "like" may be a bit of a strong word. Her quote to me on the matter, "Of all that shit you listen to, the Stones are about the only thing I can stand.". She has been to concerts on 3 tours though, and has loved every show. She says that the Stones put on the best shows. My son, age 7, knows all the words to "Let's Spend The Night Together". He threw a fit until I said that he could "keep" my copy of 40 Licks. He wants me to hang some of my Stones stuff in his room....right next to SpongeBob, Spiderman, and Yugi-Oh. And he too has seen the Stones live...Giant's Stadium '02. I have never seen a kid so awestruck....for about 5 seconds. Then he was out in the aisle dancing. Pretty girls kept coming up and dancing with him. My wife got mad, I laughed my ass off. The little shit ended up with 4 of those blinky tongue thingys. What a fun night.

My dad has always liked the Stones. The Who & The Beatles too. So, I was framiliar with a lot of the stones music from a young age. I remember hearing Stones in the 8 Track on the way to Maine when I was about 5 or 6. Mom....no way. She likes Bach and Do-Wop....and Show Tunes. My Uncle John loves the Stones, in fact, he and I have been working on a US Mono set. He's not as nuts as I am, but then again, not many are.

Almost all of the people that I consider friends are Stones fans. But the only one who is as obsessed as I am is FPM. And oddly enough, I didn't catch Stonesitis from him. I caught it when I saw them for the first time in '89. In fact, I even turned him down when he asked if I wanted to go see the Stones. But then some 5th row tix fell into my lap, and my then girlfriend insisted that we go to Pittsburgh to the gig. Next time I saw Flea, he listened to me babble like an idiot for about 20 minutes, then said, "HA! Told ya so!"

But then in 1999 I discovered the internet, and Rolling Stones message boards. The rest is history.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
04-08-03 10:06 PM
BILL PERKS NO ONE GETS IT;WHY SPEND ALL THAT MONEY FOR 5 SHOWS?THEY ASK.BECAUSE I CAN.NO ONE UNDERSTANDS WHAT IT WAS LIKE TO WAIT 8 YEARS FOR A TOUR-CEPT FOR THE CHOSEN MILLIONS LIKE US.SOMETHING WILL LEAVE US ALL WHEN THERE IS'NT THE HOPE OF ANOTHER SHOW AND I DON'T WANNA KNOW WHAT THAT'S LIKE.
04-09-03 11:49 AM
Sir Stonesalot I hear ya BILL....SHOUT IT OUT!!!

We don't know if this is "The Last Time". We gotta get it while we can. I don't even want to think about what will happen to us if the Stones stop playing out.

For now, I'll just be happy that my Stones are the greatest rock band on this or any other planet.
04-09-03 11:53 AM
Joey I just love a Sober Ronnie !

..............allows Keith to be Keith !

J.
04-10-03 04:04 AM
Bluzian Good quesstion!!

My relatives are mostly to blame for turning me on to the
Stones. I always loved fifties rock and roll.. and then one
day I heard about this band who likes and plays the same
music I do, and immediately fell in love with them.

The majority of my peers do not liek the Stones, or may
not even know who they are!?! It's almost been liek a secret
passion or something kinky.. why I like the stones and nobody
else does!?

I'd give ANYTHING to go to a party where people are playing
Stones music!!? That'd be incredible!! I always try and put
the Stones on, but no one ever digs it, and I always feel
guilty for playing it with other people. I guess I just fee
sacred about the Stones.. and I feel that I am the most
real when I think about the stones and am most real when
I listen to them (or play their music on instrument).

But I have been to several different Stones shows with various
family members (mostly cool aunts) and we always have a great
time.. almost a tradition to go see the Stones each tour.

However one friend I have, strictly a music fan, he is
completely nuts over the Stones. A complete JUNKIE in every
way when it comes to teh Stones. Puts me to shame. He collects
everything! been to the club shows.. has all teh boots..
I think he should seek immediate medical attention!!!!#%)(@#%
hehe

My observation is that most professional local bands really
dig teh Stones and play their tunes in the repetoire... how
ever, the amatuer wanna-be bands rarely acknowledge the
Stones as a critical force in the music industry.

I still love the Stones music. It's the ultimate to me -
no matter what anybody thinks.

Cheers,
Ian
04-10-03 07:53 AM
marko Honestly,i have no idea,i never ask!they know,that i am crazy,,,but what else is new?
04-11-03 01:57 PM
Martha Well my next door neighbors kids call me Crazy..rather than my name...if that tells you anything.

I'm getting to a stage of my life where I simply don't give a flying fuck what other people think..it's been a long, hard, tear-stained road though, let me tell you. Some of my family and friends think I'm nutz....and not only for my love/passion for music either. LOL Some people shun me...I can tell..they turn away from me when I bring up music...that is a weird feeling, by the way, has anyone else had this experieince?

There are several people in my life who do not understand my (call it what you will) NEED to be at live shows...especially the Stones shows...they think I'm immature, irresponsible (should be saving money for retirement, blah, blah, blah), etc. Frankly, I feel life isn't worth living if I cannot see the musicians I love at live shows each year...I really do feel this way...call me "crazy" if you must.

When I saw the boys in Detroit (my first show of this tour) I NEVER went so deep during a show EVER. It was as though I took a hit of acid/shrooms...but I didn't ...and the experience will most likley never be equaled. I went in so very deeply that night...it was a profoundly intimate experience. I was in the most beautiful stage of euphoria I think I've ever been in...and I just kept climbing up...it felt as though it was just me and them...no back up singers, no Chuck Levell..(lol.. joke intended)...just me and them/them and me...Keef...who was outstanding that night...Ronnie, wonderfully sweet, funny and sober Ronnie, Mick, the 9th wonder of the world (hands fuckin' down people)... and Charlie the great Charlie Watts, (we all know that). I was absolutely astounded, humbled and awed by their perfomance that night...10/12/02. I will NEVER, EVER forget it. It was earth shattering....mind-blowing..and at some point into this show I knew I could not put a price on this experience...as it was indeed priceless. I can now die a happy person after seeing this show. But I want to see more...and I have and God willing......I will! LOL

For me..the love of music came directly from my Dad...who shares the same intense passion that I do. He saw Louis Armstrong in 1948 or '49..and has the typed-by-Louis tour program as a testament to his being there. I am in awe of that.

He also took me to bluegrass festivals starting around the time I was 9 years old. I can still remember him standing at the driveway of Mocking Bird Hill Park waiting for Flatt and Scrugg's tour bus to pull in. He was as thrilled as I was when I saw my Stones for the first time. We can not talk in-depth about our profound love of musicians without tearing up ...it goes very, very deep. I really love this part of my Dad...and am thankful I was given this same passion for music.

My Mother loves music too, but doesn't allow herself to feel much so she is a lot more shut-off from the passion side of it. Although when I took her to see Judy Collins last year (second row seats) she burst into tears when Judy came on stage unexpectedly (right at the start of the show). So I know she has it in her to go deep as well. She also made me take piano lessons for 6 years of my life as a kid. And she was the Jr. and Sr. choir teacher at our church that I couldn't wait to be old enough to join...I love to sing.

I think of my musical love as a spiritual connection that I now NEED. It was after I found this site last March/early April that truly awoke the sleeping giant in me...and deepened my long-awaited/needed LOVE and connectedness to the Rolling Stones. I had already fallen for them upon seeing them live the first time in 1997..even though we were in the nosebleedingest part of the stadium. I cannot bear to think of everything I missed by getting hooked on them so late in my and their lives...and instead look to the fact that I got in when I did and now am forever and unabashedly in LOVE with this band.

No one older than me ever turned me onto them during the heyday, which I find odd and a bit depressing. I didn't have older siblings to lead me onward. Thank goodness for all the fan-addicts here then!

My love and appreciation for the Stones increases daily due to the wonderful people I've met here and all the knowledge and passion (great photos) you all impart each and everyday...and to the great catalog of music that I am slowly acquiring...(thanks to those of you who have turned me on to so much music..I am forever blessed by your kindness and generosity).

I now dream about the Stones (just did last night, in fact) almost weekly and feel connected in a way that prolly only the people here can truly understand. I mean I've gotten to see them since1997, 9 times total...out of those nine times 2 were free and 2 were upgraded (all of which happened without my hands on it)....and I cannot say that about any other band..and I go to many concerts each year. I feel touched and blessed by my loving this band..even though I know that may sound really weird..I just feel a great personal connectedness to them.

The Rolling Stones stand out as one of the most ground-breaking and unique and eclectic rock and roll bands of all time..they will never be equaled.....and they will never be replaced. And I have along way to go with hearing everything and learning to love them even more deeply. I anticipate, with great delight, this adventure. They have truly touched a part of my soul.

Long may they live.

I cannot bear the thought of it all coming to an end either...dear God I truly cannot fathom it.

Perhaps Rocks Off will come to my rescue..as I know I will need to be emotionally rescued then.

May you all be blessed many times over with Stonesicated joys. I have found much love and acceptance here and I need that in my life. I cannot thank you all enough for being who you are. Your love of this band has given me more happiness and joy than I could truly ever express. My gratitude knows no bounds.

I love your stories..this is a great thread!

Long live the greatest Rock and Roll band in the world!

Peace and hugs,
Martha

Stone IS Stones
04-11-03 02:08 PM
Zeeta Martha - great post,

Long live the Stones!!

Keith in my mind may actually be god!!!

LOL
04-11-03 03:21 PM
Martha Thanks so much Zeeta for your kind words...Keef certainly gave god a run for it that night in Detroit...and from that point onward! LOL

Like a thief in the night....
04-11-03 05:02 PM
padre The wife: "Don't you ever get tired of hearing those same songs over and over again?"
But the kids (5 and 3 years old) recognize the band whenever they see it and like that rock'n'roll!
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003