ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

1969 - Baron Wolman
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What do your friends and family think of the Stones? Return to archive Page: 1 2
04-07-03 12:25 PM
throbby Do they leave the room or join in?
04-07-03 12:36 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
throbby wrote:
Do they leave the room or join in?

It depends of "who" try to enter in the room.
04-07-03 12:54 PM
dealer squealing My sister loves them and she has seen The Stones twice with me, my mom likes them a little and saw them at wemley stadium 1999 with me and thought they were fabulous, my dad is very found of them and saw them with me in Stockholm 1995 and a dream for him as a Bob Dylan Fan they played (as a surprise then) like a rolling stone. This summer he is going to meet me in Stockholm to see them at the Globen.
So my family likes them
04-07-03 01:00 PM
scope The only friends I have that share the passion are those here on Rocks Off. No one understands why I would go to multiple concerts on the same tour.

As for family, my wife stays and listens, but my daughter doesn't get it. She is a big fan of Dave Matthews (where oh where did I go wrong?) and lately has been getting into Bon Jovi.

Other family remote family members think I am out of my mind. I blew off my wife's family (who came in from out of town) for a dinner out, so that I could stand outside of Roseland with a glimmer of hope that I would get in. They have accepted me as I am though, backed up by the fact that they bought me Wyman's book for Christmas.
04-07-03 01:01 PM
nankerphelge My dad likes their music but saw the '78 SNL lick and doesn't care to ever look at them.

Mom has Alzheimers and thinks Mick is the family dog!

Wife likes them fine, but is tired of losing husband to them whenever they are on tour.

Oldest daughter thinks father is out of his mind.

Youngest daughter cannot understand how anyone can't love the Stones.

04-07-03 01:02 PM
Angiegirl My mother loves them too, she gave the disease to me. She joins me this year to the Vredenburg club and the Kuip stadion in Holland. My brother saw a show in 1990, but wasn't impressed. He teases me now with my obsession, but he doesn't really like their music.
Most of my friends don't really like them too. Except for one. She saw them twice in 1995 and joins me this August again to the Rotterdam Kuip show.

[Edited by Angiegirl]
04-07-03 01:21 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
scope wrote:
The only friends I have that share the passion are those here on Rocks Off. No one understands why I would go to multiple concerts on the same tour.

Same here Scopey. Other than the internet, I am all alone in my Stones.

Sometimes, it has even driven me to The Drink.
04-07-03 01:29 PM
egon only one friend of mine is a true fan
and he's the one that turned me into a fan (bedankt tom!).

and the rest?
some like the stones, and some hate them (although they are dead now), but no one's a real fans.

yeah sure they all wanted ME to buy them tickets for the concert, but standing in line themselves? HELL NO!
and the once that i promised a ticket, but forgot to buy one,did not burst out in tears when i told them the 'bad' news. the'd like to see them in concert, but more because they are legends than because of the music

as for my family; my father likes jazz (miles davis, sonny rollins, chet baker, charlie parker). he started listening to it from the age of 15. he used to play that stuff every day when i came out of school at age 6-12(!)
needless to say, i can't stand the music.
he thinks the stones are ok, but although he's from that generation (born 45) he doesn't own any of their records (neither beatles).

my mom's a big..... should i say this?......alright then.... cliff richard fan! also from a very young age.
she too 'likes' the stones, but has no records.

i sometimes wonder what my parents did when they were young...

then there's my brother, age 33.
my brother is a walking disaster when it comes to music.
he likes almost everything. everything that's shit that is!
picks one favourite song every month, and plays it over and over and over and over again and again and again...
think stars on 45, back street boys (no he's not even gay), the holiday rap by mc miker g & dj sven, a bit of wham (maybe he is?), french rap, star acadamie... i guess you get the picture.
my brother however, does not like the rolling stones.

it's a surprise really that i'm here, given the above.

could have ended up on the dark side!

[Edited by egon]
04-07-03 01:44 PM
magicwoman my dad is a huge fan to my mum likes the muzic but is not a fan she was a beatle fan in the sixties my brother is a fan to my sis in law to my sister is not a fan and my brother in law not
and my friends are all metalfans they love slayer and that music.And they think they stones are old grandpa and they said its so easy to play on the guitar
my boyfriend dont like them to and he is jealous at keith
[Edited by magicwoman]
04-07-03 01:47 PM
Lazy Bones Full credit goes to my dad for getting me into the Stones. I received a turntable and Emotional Rescue for my 7th birthday. He was hooked onto the Stones thanks to Wild Horses (he was 16).
Now, of course, he still loves them but he's not fanatical like I am. It's nice that he's very much still into rock music and having a young father has always been a real bonus for getting me involved (I'm 29, he's 47).

As far as my immediate family goes, my daughters love 'em and the boss, well, I drive her nuts.
"Why do you have to by a $10 tour poster and spend $80 to have it framed..." oh ya...but I like it!!! I describe it as "my pair of shoes" (!) All kidding aside, she understands my passion as a "hobby". I'm/we're currently turning a tool/storage room into "MY" Stones room. So, it's a nice, well-perceived treat.
04-07-03 02:30 PM
LadyJane Good topic Throbby!

I can honestly say that all of my family, friends and most acquaintances will tell you that whenever they hear, see or read anything about the Stones they immediately think of me.

Hubby is a fan, but not "obsessed" like me. Mom loves them. At age 80, she still cuts articles out of the newspaper for me!! Dad...another story......still blames the Stones for "ruining" his little girl. LOL.

As far as "joining in" I don't think I could count a person that doesn't like the Stones as a close friend. So when LadyJane and her closest friends get together....it's party time with lots of Stones blastin'

LadyJ.

[Edited by LadyJane]
04-07-03 02:34 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Well, my mother is a beatles fan...need I say more??
Most of my friends (besides Stones friends of course) don't like the music.
04-07-03 03:05 PM
steel driving hammer I'm the ONLY ONE (w/ out mixed emotions) who remotely likes the Stones.

They don't even like them. I, love them.
04-07-03 03:12 PM
jb My dad died when I was 4 and I think he would of liked them as he was a big jazz/blues fan. My sister, who also unfortunately died in 1974, turned me onto the Stones..as I recall Satanic majesty was the album.
04-07-03 03:21 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy No one in my family likes 'em very much. My father has very eclectic tastes in music although firmly rooted in Classic Rock... although I always say "Well, that's because you're an Eagles fan" whenever we disagree. My little brother doesn't get 'em yet. He likes one or two songs but he tends to like "whatever my friends like", a habit I'm trying to break him of. My mother likes sappy music and I won five bucks from her because she thought Judy Collins (I think) wrote "Salt Of The Earth". God, what a terrible cover.

And then there's my friends.

As our boy Ronnie once said with Keith wailing away behind him, "My friends they just don't understand me at all..."

The closest I get with my generation is people who like The Beatles at a level remotely close to mine, such as the guys in the band I sing with.

I love telling the story of how I got into 'em, so you've all heard it a thousand times, but it was from a manic friend of mine who wears a leather jacket and brown fedora everywhere, lives out in Spanish Harlem and is on more medications then anyone, ever.

He's the man, and I wore out his copy of Let It Bleed a few summers back, and whammo! I was hooked!

-tSYX --- I can say she's all right...
04-07-03 03:23 PM
jb TSXY...does your Dad love the Beatles like you?
04-07-03 03:41 PM
Joey My Dad hated them up until his death six years ago ( at age sixty five ) but my Mom " understands " and respects them .

Both of my parents " loved " The Beatles and The Who ( especially Keith Moon ) though .............................go figure !

I guess it is because they both drank alot .

The Jerky Boy !

04-07-03 03:42 PM
jb I'm sorry to hear about your Dad Joey.
04-07-03 03:56 PM
L&A Good topic great to read that most of them are music-lovers... JB's father jazz-blues, Lazy Bones Stones, TSYX-father classic rock, magicwoman with Beatles or metal... etc. The important thing is to have interest in music

My parents (70-72) never came to the 60' s music, caring for 6 children... even if both are good musicians. My brothers and sisters are divided. 2 sisters are really crazy with some Stones songs... and I can remember crazy nights with Sympathy FTD playing very loud. My best friend is a Pink Floyd fan (3500 LP's :eek, but it doesn't matter, we can spend nights discussing about Stones, Floyd and good music (rock, classic, jazz, french, rap, but mostly rock )
My wife thinks Mick was one of the most sexiest thing around the world, but isn't a fan as I am... even if we always go together to all concerts. My kids start listening to music - good or bad doesn't matter, they like it and the interest is important - Both are playing piano, and my boy (7 years) want to learn electric guitar to play Satisfaction and Smoke on the Water from DP. My daughter - 9 years - likes all those "gossips" around the Stones
Younger people around me - friends between 20 and 30 - considere the Stones as oldies, and prefer the solo work of Jagger....
04-07-03 04:18 PM
Moonisup most of my family are stonesfans,

my dad is also, well, I don't know if my mam is one,

well I think I am a stonesfan,

most of my friends are not, and tend to think I am crazy
04-07-03 04:24 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
and tend to think I am crazy

Well Rik, you are!
04-07-03 04:27 PM
icydanger my parents never liked them, "these bad, arrogant boys"

my brother and sister like them, my sister was a huge fan untill....

my kids love them
04-07-03 04:29 PM
luxury1 My "obsession" is too personal, and I dont care to share it with anyone. They better leave the room. ('cept for you guys of course, cuz you "get it.")
04-07-03 04:37 PM
Moonisup these things we share here, can't be explained to non-stonesfans,

it's cos we talk with our heart about them

don't know how to say it,
can't be explained

Andrew Loog Oldham"

It's not just a group, it's just a way of life

that must be it
04-07-03 04:43 PM
luxury1 Yes, Rik, that must be it. Well said.
04-07-03 05:42 PM
Joey I am very sorry to hear about your dad too Josh .

04-07-03 06:16 PM
Pattie

My family thinks it�s fine, as long as I don�t sleep with them
04-07-03 06:16 PM
Pattie

My family thinks it�s fine, as long as I don�t sleep with them
04-07-03 06:17 PM
Pattie
sorry bout the double....
04-07-03 06:22 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
jb wrote:
TSXY...does your Dad love the Beatles like you?

He does indeed! Rubber Soul's his favorite album, he thinks it's the first real LP he ever bought, before that he only bought singles. He got really taken in with the whole CD craze in the mid-80s, bought a CD player and a bunch of the Beatles CDs first thing, followed by Hot Rocks and The Best Of The Who. Since then he pretty much only buys one album per band, which is the weirdest thing I've ever seen anyone do. I still don't think he's quite gotten the hang of it yet, although he does love to watch me yell at the record player when it doesn't work - he bought me one just to prove, I think, that technology ain't everything.

How 'bout your family? I know 'bout your dad, sorry about him, but what about the others? Were you raised a Beatles-hater?

-tSYX --- Isn't it good Norweigan wood?
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003