ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Auckland Western Springs Speedway,16th April 2006
Thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Shangaï Grand Stage - 8th april 2006 - Set List, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
8th April 2006 08:12 PM
Daethgod great pics !

next stop AUSSIE LAND !

8th April 2006 08:18 PM
glencar Shanghai has always been known as the "Omaha of the East" doncha know...
8th April 2006 08:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Mick singing Wild Horses with Ciu Jian, a Chinese rocker:

Photo from Dutch newspaper Telegraaf, view article here:

http://www.telegraaf.nl/prive/36830371/Rolling_Stones_in_China.html

well, its a bit different than Andrea Corr, I'll grant you!
8th April 2006 11:03 PM
corgi37 And no doubt better than Dave Matthews.
8th April 2006 11:39 PM
LadyJane Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and hope, no, make that EXPECT this Band to rock our Aussie friends.

They won't disappoint you.......I promise!

LJ
8th April 2006 11:47 PM
voodoopug
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and hope, no, make that EXPECT this Band to rock our Aussie friends.

They won't disappoint you.......I promise!

LJ

That is a bold promise, sadly I foresee it as one that will not be easily kept! Expect more of the same! Sweedish Erik will get the next "great" show. The rest will be a forty licks live with 3-4 ABB songs...YOU HEARD IT HERE!
8th April 2006 11:48 PM
Daethgod they have NEVER dissapointed us in Aussie land

they love playing here as much as we love seeing em

cant wait to see the smiles on Mick and Keiths face Tues night when the roar of 60,000 Aussies hits em smack bang in the face

(oh yer and i hope they floss as me and corgi are going to be that close we dont wanna see any shepherds pie or chicken bits sitting between their molars)

9th April 2006 12:12 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
they have NEVER dissapointed us in Aussie land

cant wait to see the smiles on Mick and Keiths face Tues night when the roar of 60,000 Aussies hits em smack bang in the face

(oh yer and i hope they floss as me and corgi are going to be that close we dont wanna see any shepherds pie or chicken bits sitting between their molars)

you two are fine fans and I hope my usually accurate predictions are incorrect as you deserve a "gem" of a show!
9th April 2006 08:03 AM
Gazza
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
they have NEVER dissapointed us in Aussie land

was just listening to the Enmore '03 version of 'Rock me baby' on that 'Dirty Licks' boot of rs.com songs last night. Possibly the best version of any song on that entire tour and an incredible show too.

If you get a show performed with a fraction of the intensity of that one you'll be blown away.

I expect a series of top notch shows down under
9th April 2006 10:25 AM
Jeep April 9th Shangaï news papers front pages, Oriental Morning Post and Xinmin Evening News (don't ask me a translation !):

9th April 2006 11:36 AM
rogerriffin
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Only 18 songs? Censorshit sucks

No pix of the stage, just wondering which one they used

It´s seems like Arena Stage padrino...

Censorshit! jajaja jajaja
9th April 2006 11:49 AM
UGot2Rollme just listened to Start Me Up from Shanghai now on rs.com -
Mick's "Yeah" after the "dead man cum" line says it all about censorship. Great they played Bitch, too.
9th April 2006 07:06 PM
Paranoid_Android Will the new term for a "very basic/standard" show be that :

"the crowd was SHANGHAI'd"?!?

You heard it first! (well, I haven't seen it elsewhere )
9th April 2006 07:08 PM
Paranoid_Android
That large bold caption is hilarious...only in China, only in China...they actually do have a sense of humour over there!!
9th April 2006 08:12 PM
corgi37 34 hours to go!
10th April 2006 04:19 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Censorshit may suck, but laziness is inexcusable.

I feel sorry for anyone who paid 2 months wages to see this. No doubt the Stones figured that they probably wouldnt know any better or notice if they just played a short set

Totally agree.
18 songs while they got 400, fuck them will ya??
10th April 2006 04:33 AM
Fiskemichael What's wrong with playing "only" 18 songs?

When you buy a case of beer you know there will be 24 beers in the case - but it is different with concerts: You get what you give, and honestly I thought the audience was dull. Maybe the audience is getting too old? The band members seem to be fit enough, but 90% of the audience couldn't even stay on their feet half way through "Start Me Up", and in fact the gentleman behind me (Hong Kong Chinese aged 55 plus/minus with girl friend aged 25 more minus than plus) asked me to sit down during the encore as he could not see the stage while seated. I guess he couldn't bother to stand.

Had the band played another 2 songs my guess is that several in the audiece would have had to go leave as theie hearing aid batteries would have gone flat anyway.

Michael
10th April 2006 04:34 AM
Fiskemichael What's wrong with playing "only" 18 songs?

When you buy a case of beer you know there will be 24 beers in the case - but it is different with concerts: You get what you give, and honestly I thought the audience was dull. Maybe the audience is getting too old? The band members seem to be fit enough, but 90% of the audience couldn't even stay on their feet half way through "Start Me Up", and in fact the gentleman behind me (Hong Kong Chinese aged 55 plus/minus with girl friend aged 25 more minus than plus) asked me to sit down during the encore as he could not see the stage while seated. I guess he couldn't bother to stand.

Had the band played another 2 songs my guess is that several in the audiece would have had to go leave as theie hearing aid batteries would have gone flat anyway.

Michael
10th April 2006 05:43 AM
Gazza so, if the Stones 'think' the audience is beneath them , its ok to shorten the show by 3 songs?

Please

This was the shortest show the Stones have played (outside of a club gig or SARStock which were cheap tickets) in 28 years. To bullshit people (who had paid a fortune for tickets) in a press conference that they had 400 other songs to pick from to replace those that were censored - and then not bother to play any of them - is indefensible.

And they didnt decide on a whim to do it because the audience werent living up to expectations - the setlist was on Charlie's plexiglass pre show and it was 18 songs. (anyway, Ive read elsewhere that the local fans up in the nosebleeds were very enthusiastic, so each to their own)

Obviously its unreasonable to expect the exact same number of songs or length for each show, but you should treat every audience with a similar level of respect. And I've seen lousy audiences in many western countries in the last couple of tours too lazy or unenthusiastic to get into the show.

I dont about the Shaghai audience's hearing aids, but some Stones fans are so 'blind' in their hero worship they need white sticks.

They wouldnt have pulled that shit in New York or London. Simple as that.

As for "knowing" how long a show is going to be - when I bought tickets for this tour, their shows were around 21 songs per night. If they're play 18 songs in stadium gigs by the time I get to see them, Mick will need all his athleticism to dodge a few bottles coming his way...
[Edited by Gazza]
10th April 2006 08:09 AM
Break The Spell Certainly a weak set list, but some great pictures at least came from it. I'd like to hear what Wild Horses sounded like with that Chinese rocker.
10th April 2006 08:25 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Certainly a weak set list, but some great pictures at least came from it. I'd like to hear what Wild Horses sounded like with that Chinese rocker.

Hi BTS brother!

my sources told me the Stones are going to play "Streets of Love" with a kangooroo next week!
10th April 2006 08:29 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Hi BTS brother!

my sources told me the Stones are going to play "Streets of Love" with a kangooroo next week!

Killer!! I was hoping to also get Anyway You Look At It and Back To Zero with a kazoo solo.
10th April 2006 08:30 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Killer!! I was hoping to also get Anyway You Look At It and Back To Zero with a kazoo solo.

a solo by crocodile dundee of course!
10th April 2006 08:33 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

a solo by crocodile dundee of course!

I'm happy to see he's still getting work these days. Although I thought he was just there to provide hand claps in case Blondie Chaplin falls ill.
10th April 2006 09:50 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
so, if the Stones 'think' the audience is beneath them , its ok to shorten the show by 3 songs?

Please

This was the shortest show the Stones have played (outside of a club gig or SARStock which were cheap tickets) in 28 years. To bullshit people (who had paid a fortune for tickets) in a press conference that they had 400 other songs to pick from to replace those that were censored - and then not bother to play any of them - is indefensible.

And they didnt decide on a whim to do it because the audience werent living up to expectations - the setlist was on Charlie's plexiglass pre show and it was 18 songs. (anyway, Ive read elsewhere that the local fans up in the nosebleeds were very enthusiastic, so each to their own)

Obviously its unreasonable to expect the exact same number of songs or length for each show, but you should treat every audience with a similar level of respect. And I've seen lousy audiences in many western countries in the last couple of tours too lazy or unenthusiastic to get into the show.

I dont about the Shaghai audience's hearing aids, but some Stones fans are so 'blind' in their hero worship they need white sticks.

They wouldnt have pulled that shit in New York or London. Simple as that.

As for "knowing" how long a show is going to be - when I bought tickets for this tour, their shows were around 21 songs per night. If they're play 18 songs in stadium gigs by the time I get to see them, Mick will need all his athleticism to dodge a few bottles coming his way...
[Edited by Gazza]

you, like us, tell it like it is and are viciously attacked for it. I commend you. This is, while predicted, unacceptable!
10th April 2006 10:29 AM
Saint Sway I would like to once again applaud the Chineese government in their attempts to force the Stones to shake up their set list. Asking them to drop several boring and overplayed songs (HTW, BS, RJ, LSNT) under the guise of censorship was a brilliant move!!

sadly the Stones failed to deliver what should of been the coolest set list of the show. Instead proving to be a robotic Vegas act incapable of change. With only 18 songs and no surprises they really dropped the ball.

The Chinese government did everything in its power to force the Stones hand in delivering a fresh and cool set list to an intimate 8k arena show... but the Stones were unwilling to deliver the goods. Such a wasted opportunity.
10th April 2006 10:32 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I would like to once again applaud the Chineese government in their attempts to force the Stones to shake up their set list. Asking them to drop several boring and overplayed songs (HTW, BS, RJ, LSNT) under the guise of censorship was a brilliant move!!

sadly the Stones failed to deliver what should of been the coolest set list of the show. Instead proving to be a robotic Vegas act incapable of change. With only 18 songs and no surprises they really dropped the ball.

The Chinese government did everything in its power to force the Stones hand in delivering a fresh and cool set list to an intimate 8k arena show... but the Stones were unwilling to deliver the goods. Such a wasted opportunity.

Well said Sway.
they ve acted like wankers!
10th April 2006 11:23 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Jeep wrote:
April 9th Shangaï news papers front pages, Oriental Morning Post and Xinmin Evening News (don't ask me a translation !):

My friend at work can read Chinese..this translates to:

"We've Been Omaha'd!"
10th April 2006 04:47 PM
gypsy A few pics of The Rolling Stones in Shanghai, China - April 08, 2006:

10th April 2006 04:55 PM
GotToRollMe That first one of Keith is gorgeous.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)