ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Auckland Western Springs Speedway,16th April 2006
Thanks Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Shangaï Grand Stage - 8th april 2006 - Set List, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
8th April 2006 10:37 AM
Jeep Finally, the setlist from RS.com

Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Oh No Not You Again
Bitch
Wild Horses
Rain Fall Down
Midnight Rambler
Gimmie Shelter
Tumblin' Dice
-----------------
This Place Is Empty
Happy

Sympathy
Miss You
It's Only Rock And Roll
Paint It Black
JJ Flash
Can't Always Get What You Want
Satisfaction

[Edited by Jeep]
[Edited by Jeep]
8th April 2006 10:48 AM
Jeep More...

8th April 2006 10:53 AM
gimmekeef AP report says they opened with SMU?....They're gettin Omaha'd!..course they wont know it!!!
8th April 2006 10:58 AM
Jeep

8th April 2006 11:28 AM
Jeep

Noureev is back on earth :

8th April 2006 11:32 AM
FPM C10 Stones Play to Packed House in China

By CHRISTOPHER BODEEN
The Associated Press
Saturday, April 8, 2006; 10:12 AM

SHANGHAI, China -- The Rolling Stones opened their first-ever concert in mainland China on Saturday with "Start Me Up," a song with suggestive lyrics that apparently made it past the censors who banned five other songs.

The so-called "world's greatest rock 'n' roll band" played to a packed house at Shanghai's 8,000-seat Grand Stage indoor stadium, where the audience was overwhelmingly foreign. Demand for tickets had driven up prices on the black market to $624.

Rolling Stones members, from left, Mick Jagger, Ron Wood, Charlie Watts and Keith Richards pose for photos at a press conference in Shanghai, China Friday April 7, 2006. The Rolling Stones are to play a concert in Shanghai Saturday as part of their "A Bigger Bang" world tour. The performance is their first in mainland China after a previously scheduled concert was cancelled in 2003 due to the SARS crisis. (AP Photo/Greg Baker) (Greg Baker - AP)

Chinese rock pioneer Cui Jian, who was to perform a duet with Mick Jagger, said before the concert that the show was a "milestone" for him and all rock fans in China.

"It is a big moment. I will never forget this," said Cui, whose songs were anthems for student protesters in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989.

In a reminder of the communist government's cautious attitude toward Western pop culture, the Stones were told not to perform five songs _ "Brown Sugar," "Honky Tonk Women," "Beast of Burden," "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "Rough Justice" _ because of suggestive lyrics.

However, "Start Me Up," which also has suggestive lyrics, was not on the list.

At a news conference on Friday, Jagger said he was not surprised by the demand, and added sarcastically: "I'm pleased that the Ministry of Culture is protecting the morals of the expat bankers and their girlfriends that are going to be coming."

He said a planned nationwide broadcast of the concert by China Central Television _ a first for a Western rock show _ would help expose people to his music.

"I know what rock 'n' roll is, but I've never heard of them," said a shopkeeper at a clothing stall in the city's downtown Xiangyang Market, who would only give her surname, Liu.

The band had better name recognition among younger Shanghainese, although many said the band was a little "old" for them _ a reminder that Jagger, at age 62, is just one year younger than Chinese president and Communist Party leader Hu Jintao.

"We like rock music and pop like the Backstreet Boys, Mariah Carey and also Jay Chou and Rain, too," said Jamie Liao, a 17-year-old with spiked hair wearing fashionably low-cut jeans and Converse sneakers.

Chou, a Taiwanese rapper, and Korean singer Rain are among the biggest foreign stars in China.

"The Rolling Stones _ they're more from the early stage," Liao said.
8th April 2006 11:46 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

In a reminder of the communist government's cautious attitude toward Western pop culture, the Stones were told not to perform five songs _ "Brown Sugar," "Honky Tonk Women," "Beast of Burden," "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "Rough Justice" _ because of suggestive lyrics.

I guess they can do "Star Star" then.
8th April 2006 11:50 AM
Jeep Setlist from RS.com

Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Oh No Not You Again
Bitch
Wild Horses
Rain Fall Down
Midnight Rambler
Gimmie Shelter
Tumblin' Dice
-----------------
This Place Is Empty
Happy

Sympathy
Miss You
It's Only Rock And Roll
Paint It Black
JJ Flash
Satisfaction
8th April 2006 11:53 AM
corgi37 And now all that unpleasantness is out of the way, lets buy some pirate dvd's and fuck to civilisation.

Come to Corgi, geezers, come to Corgi!
8th April 2006 12:34 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Jeep wrote:
Setlist from RS.com

Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Oh No Not You Again
Bitch
Wild Horses
Rain Fall Down
Midnight Rambler
Gimmie Shelter
Tumblin' Dice
-----------------
This Place Is Empty
Happy

Sympathy
Miss You
It's Only Rock And Roll
Paint It Black
JJ Flash
Satisfaction

8th April 2006 12:44 PM
voodoopug this proves we were correct again....this is punishment for cwnsorship and low revenue. it is obvious that they wanted to get the hell out of there fast. i expect apologies from all who doubted josh and i. china has been totally humiliated
8th April 2006 01:03 PM
Soldatti Omaha's set list is a dream compared with China.
In Mick words, "We have 400 songs..."
8th April 2006 01:18 PM
mrhipfl only 18 songs? so instead of replacing the songs they can't play with something else, they don't play anything at all? That's crap.
8th April 2006 01:34 PM
Madafaka Bitch? Hahaha! Funny indeed!
8th April 2006 01:40 PM
Gazza
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
only 18 songs? so instead of replacing the songs they can't play with something else, they don't play anything at all? That's crap.

agreed. The lazy bastards

Not even surprised either

8th April 2006 01:41 PM
lotsajizz a new entry into lexicon?

to be Shaignhai'd?

8th April 2006 01:46 PM
Gazza Shanghai'ed in Shanghai! Think that was an old Nazareth song..
8th April 2006 01:47 PM
pdog Well, I'm a lonesome schoolboy
And I just came into town
Yeah, I'm a lonesome schoolboy
And I just came into town
Well, I heard so much about China
I decided to check it out

Well, I wait in Tiananmen Square
With a come-hither look in my fish eye
Yeah, I'm leaning on Forbidden City Columns
But all I do is talk to the Censor Lions

Oh where can I get my wang- phooey sucked?
Where can I get my ass -ramen fucked?
I may have no Renminbi,
But I know where to put it every time

Well, I asked a young soldier
If he'd only shoot me for the night
Well, I've had avian flu in the farmyard,
Some of them, some of them, they're alright
Well, he fucked me with his Tai Chi Sword
And his Kang Hsi helmet was way too tight

Oh where can I get my cock - suey sucked?
Where can I get my ass - fried rice fucked?
I ain't got no Renminbi,
But I know where to put it every time

I'm a lonesome schoolboy in Peking
I'm a lonesome schoolboy Fuck Chairman Mao
8th April 2006 02:21 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Only 18 songs? Censorshit sucks

No pix of the stage, just wondering which one they used
8th April 2006 02:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Only 18 songs? Censorshit sucks

Censorshit may suck, but laziness is inexcusable.

I feel sorry for anyone who paid 2 months wages to see this. No doubt the Stones figured that they probably wouldnt know any better or notice if they just played a short set
8th April 2006 02:25 PM
Carlos Pigozzi " no problem, we have 400 songs " .... and they go and do a shorter show ? CRAP,CRAP,CRAP ....

Lol, Bitch !!!
8th April 2006 02:43 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Censorshit may suck, but laziness is inexcusable.

I feel sorry for anyone who paid 2 months wages to see this. No doubt the Stones figured that they probably wouldnt know any better or notice if they just played a short set

We had warned this was going to happen and were mocked. They will remain on cruise control until the Sweeden shows and then possibly a fall US return. This is punishment for censorship and slow ticket sales
8th April 2006 02:46 PM
six mayers Great set list...although only 18 songs..

cheers
8th April 2006 03:11 PM
Gazza look on the bright side. The show had a smaller percentage of warhorses than it normally does!
8th April 2006 03:12 PM
FPM C10 Last night I was actually semi-excited, thinking that at least two of the warhorses were going to be replaced with something different. What a gullible ass I can be sometimes.

Funny that they were allowed to do their puerile schoolboy lyrics in "Oh No" - wonder if they did the cleaned up chorus. Maybe "fudging up my life again." And do the Chinese think "Bitch" is about dogs?

The only good thing about this whole fiasco was the bitchy line about the expat bankers at the PC.

I hate it that my favorite band of all time has become so ridiculous and no longer mean much of anything to me. They can still kick ass, especially for their age, but they make you wade through so much shit to find the pony.

And by the way - does drinking make your ears get bigger? Both Keith and Shane MacGowan have gigantic dumbo ears now. Keith's have always been prominent - "like a taxi with its doors open" or however Mick put it in 25x5 - but they are ENORMOUS now. He'd better stay out of updrafts.
8th April 2006 04:04 PM
marko As i´ve said many times of this tour,this is just getting
worse.
8th April 2006 05:03 PM
Jumping Jack What's worse than being Omaha'd, getting Shanghai'd, LOL!

8th April 2006 05:27 PM
Nellcote From Ny Times.....

In a First, the Stones Rock China, but Hold the Brown Sugar
By HOWARD W. FRENCH
SHANGHAI, April 8 — After nearly 30 years of trying, the world's most famous rock band finally made it to the world's largest country, as the Rolling Stones brought their show to a small stage in China's biggest city.

The concert on Saturday, a late addition to the band's Biggest Bang world tour, was the product of lengthy negotiations and numerous compromises: from the venue, a diminutive 8,000-seat indoor arena, to the songs allowed by Chinese censors.

The five songs that were reportedly banned were "Brown Sugar," "Beast of Burden," "Let's Spend the Night Together," "Honky Tonk Women" and "Rough Justice," a song from the Stones' new album. The first four were also left off the Chinese version of the band's greatest hits album when it was released here in 2003.

The sold-out performance brought together cosmopolitan Shanghai at its richest, in more senses than one. With the cheapest seats going for about $40 — and most priced at 5 to 10 times more, well above monthly salaries for most people here — the cost ensured that well-heeled foreigners dominated the crowd.

Mick Jagger, the group's lead singer, acknowledged as much himself in a news conference the day before with a comment meant to address two of the most delicate issues surrounding the event, the heavily foreign audience and the restricted song list.

"I am pleased the Ministry of Culture is protecting the morals of expatriate bankers and their girlfriends," Mr. Jagger said, adding that he had 400 other songs to choose from, so "it doesn't really matter."

Many people were displeased with the ticket prices, and the effect on the audience mix, nonetheless.

"It's actually tragic if you think about it: a foreign performance borrowing Chinese land, but Chinese people cannot come because of price or other issues," said Chu Meng, 23, who attended the concert. "It is ironic, I should say. I saw some foreigners cover themselves with the Chinese flag, and I don't feel comfortable about it."

Even if the Stones can't always sing what they want, they still bring high energy to the stage. This show was no exception, and they launched into it with brio, with the choice of songs like "Bitch," which was sung early in the act, seemingly chosen to make the point that censorship was pointless.

The Stones tried to ease their introduction to an unfamiliar crowd by sharing the stage for one of their signature hits, "Wild Horses," with Cui Jian, 45, a pioneer of Chinese rock who, unlike most of the fans, both knew the lyrics and did not miss a beat in his rhythm guitar accompaniment. "This is the 20th-year anniversary of Chinese rock 'n' roll," the Chinese star said after the song. "We have an appointment. In the near future, they will be back, and we'll rock again in Beijing."

"This is their cultural revolution," said a California businessman and longtime resident who gave his name as Dan, and who rocked in the aisles with his Chinese wife, Bo. "This kind of thing has to spread beyond Shanghai and a few other places still, but that's what we're seeing, a real transformation of this country."

The rock 'n' roll era all but bypassed China, which was in the throes of Mao Zedong's Cultural Revolution during the music's heyday. Although Whitney Houston and Elton John and a variety of other pop music stars and acts have performed here in recent years, the Stones are by far the biggest rock act to appear in China, and their concert will be the first to be broadcast in the country after censors screen it.

Truth be told, the group may have arrived here both far too soon and far too late. The Chinese government protects few things so zealously as culture, with the result that few here knew anything about the group. And for many of those who are more familiar, an increasingly hard-to-impress niche of the population that is savvy in an up-to-the-minute way about Western culture in all its variety, the Rolling Stones are old hat.

"I've never listened to their songs," said Shen Yichen, a 16-year-old girl who was accompanied by her parents. "Maybe listening like this for the first time is more authentic."

Before the show, her father, equally unfamiliar with the music, downloaded a song. "I don't know what song it was," said the father, Shen Shiji, 46. "Maybe it was a song paying tribute to Dylan.

"I don't know if it's their lyrics that make people like them," he added, "but listening to the melody, it wasn't so beautiful."

A popular blogger here, Wang Xiaofeng, is typical of the group for whom the Stones are a relic of another era. "For most Chinese rock 'n' roll fans, the Rolling Stones are not even as attractive as a domestic pop singer, or the Super Girl contestants," referring to a television show that resembled American Idol. "In the eyes of fans, the Rolling Stones have more meaning as a rock 'n' roll symbol than as a kind of music. They are as unfamiliar as they are familiar."

8th April 2006 05:45 PM
Gazza a couple of reports on Sky News and BBC news tonight on this show

Apparently, the 5th 'banned' song added to the list was "Rough Justice"

The BBC report was quite interesting in that it seems the Stones are REALLY unknown in China. The reporter went to several record shops today and couldnt find a Stones CD in any of them.

With ticket prices being the equivalent of an average monthly wage (and the higher prices being about 3 months salary), its hardly surprising that the most expensive tickets didnt sell out and most of the audience were foreigners or ex-pats.

However, according to a BBC interview with Mick, its the first time that a western rock show has been broadcast on TV there - so whilst their shows are out of reach to practically everyone in the country, let alone what is one of the 3 most populous cities in the world, its quite evident that the TV audience is what theyre aiming at to maximise revenue.
[Edited by Gazza]
8th April 2006 07:06 PM
Angiegirl Mick singing Wild Horses with Ciu Jian, a Chinese rocker:

Photo from Dutch newspaper Telegraaf, view article here:

http://www.telegraaf.nl/prive/36830371/Rolling_Stones_in_China.html
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)