ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fer
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: BEST STONES TUNE EVER "ANGIE"? Return to archive Page: 1 2
04-08-03 02:29 AM
GLIMTWIN ANGIE? CANT GET NO SATISFACTION?
04-08-03 03:20 AM
TracyGene Glimtwin,not sure what you want.Satisfaction or Angie?There is so much diversity with the Stones that I can't answer that one.Glad you are inquiring,at least you got an interest in the Greatest Rock And Roll Band in the world.
04-08-03 10:28 AM
jb Angie is definitely one of their top ballads if not the best....I love the live versions from the 73 tour with MT fabulous guitar work.....
Satisfaction is probably their greatest "pop" hit of all time, but I personal prefer Gimme Shelter, All down the line, Tumbling Dice, Midnight Rambler, etc....
[Edited by jb]
04-08-03 10:34 AM
Mathijs Angie wasn't played at the Winter Tour of 1973.

Mathijs
04-08-03 10:54 AM
jb The boots I have are from 73 and it was played...was it winter, spring, summer or fall?
04-08-03 11:06 AM
Mathijs The Winter Tour was the tour of Austrlia and New-Zealand, in February 1973. Angie was played at the European Tour, wich was in September and October 1973.

Mathijs
04-08-03 11:12 AM
jb So it was fall...sorry for the error and thank you for the correction.
04-08-03 11:29 AM
purrcafe Angie? God no. That's probably my most unlistenable Stones song. As far as ballads go, I much prefer Wild Horses or Memory Motel. As far as hits, I think Brown Sugar or JJF was the best. But, IMHO the Stones greatest recorded moment of all was Gimmie Shelter
04-08-03 12:47 PM
Factory Girl I really like "Almost Hear You Sigh" for a Stones ballad.

Are "Let It Loose"/Loving Cup considered ballads? I love those songs!

For a rocker, Nothing beats Monkey Man-imo, of course.
04-08-03 01:04 PM
Mikey YCAGWYW is the Stones best "song", hands down. Killer arrangement, great guitar work (Keith's open-E acoustic with accompanying electric shuffle layered in), great lyrics, great drums.

What more could you want?
04-08-03 01:06 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Angie best song? No way!

Time waits for no one, Let it loose, loving cup!!
04-08-03 01:26 PM
Maxlugar [quote]jb wrote:
Angie is definitely one of their top ballads if not the best....I love the live versions from the 73 tour with MT fabulous guitar work.....

Joshala,

EVERYTHING is just a bit better with a little Micky T on it.

He's like a Ritz cracker (everything tastes better on a Ritz)

Well, everything sounds better with a Micky T.

That's all for now.....

MACKY! (Your gentile friend from NY)
04-08-03 01:36 PM
jb Max, I recently got a boot which is side 2 of one of the many Brussels versions....I think it's called Europe 73....it has Brown Sugar,Gimme Shelter, Happy, Star Fucker, Dancing with Mr. D, Heartbreaker, Angie and SFM....The quality is quite similar to the Brussels shows, but I believe this is excerpts from various shows in Germany....All I can tell you is that the more I listen to MT, the more I realize how fundamental he was to their greatness ....the sound created by him and Keith is about as wicked as it gets....I get goose bumps on some of those leads in GS and my only regret in life is that I never had the honor of seeing the Stones with Mickey T....75 was my first, but only 3 years earlier I could have been one of the few to see the greatest band, during it's greatest period, with the best line-up it shall ever have. Why has Mick T not been asked to grace the stage just once on this tour???? Why, Why, Why!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????
[Edited by jb]
04-08-03 01:51 PM
Maxlugar Joshala,

If you were like me, and saw them at MSG in 1972, you too would feel "special".

Let me tell you this, there was not a dry eye in the house when Micky T started in with some of those smooth, slick, melodic leads. Leads that were not so much song defining as they were generation defining.

As the last notes of the show were still echoing in my head, I walked out on to the darkened street at 34th St. and 7th ave and penned this on the back of a Creem magazine I had in my pocket:

Mick Taylor's Fingers, by Maxlugar

They make me quiver
When they deliver
I cry a River
With my gin Soaked liver
Whilst the notes, they slink and slither ........

Sadly, my friend Joshy, I have written no such poem for Ron Wood.

Thanks for letting me step back in time for that one Josh. It felt good, boy howdy!

Maxy!
04-08-03 01:59 PM
jb I brought poetry out of you again Max!!!! I feel I am growing as a poster more and more every day!!!!!!!!! Thanks my goyim friend.
04-08-03 03:35 PM
L&A It's also different to considere what is OUR prefered song or which song will stay in history of music. I personaly prefer YCAGWYW but in 100 years, world will remember Angie...
04-08-03 03:55 PM
NHStonesfan [quote]Mikey wrote:
YCAGWYW is the Stones best "song", hands down. Killer arrangement, great guitar work (Keith's open-E acoustic with accompanying electric shuffle layered in), great lyrics, great drums.

What more could you want?

I've been on a YCAGWYW kick lately listening to different live versions from the early 70's and beyond. As much as I always have liked the song there has been a new found appreciation. Last week at while waiting for my wife at the airport I listened to the Brussells affair version something like 8 times in a row.........boy do I need a life
04-08-03 09:54 PM
BILL PERKS JJF IS THE DEFINITIVE STONES TUNE IMO.WINTER IS MY TOP BALLAD.
04-08-03 11:09 PM
monkeyman IS SIMPLE: MICK TAYLOR = BEST VERSION, THE BEST ANGIE VERSION IS '73.
04-09-03 07:35 AM
egon
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
JJF IS THE DEFINITIVE STONES TUNE IMO.

imo 2
04-09-03 09:17 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
jb wrote:
I brought poetry out of you again Max!!!! I feel I am growing as a poster more and more every day!!!!!!!!!

yes jb, since your last chastisement your demenour has been beyond reproach!!

meet the new josh - same as the old josh??

04-09-03 09:59 AM
jb Thank you councelor.....prior incidents are not admissible other than for impeachment purposes.
04-09-03 10:02 AM
stonedinaustralia yes

but you can take the jb out of josh but you can't take the josh out of the jb
04-09-03 11:21 AM
parmeda touche` SIA!

...Josh,

04-09-03 11:24 AM
jb Pam, please see my private message...How are ya ?
[Edited by jb]
04-09-03 12:29 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
Max, I recently got a boot which is side 2 of one of the many Brussels versions....I think it's called Europe 73....

Yes, Jb, "Europe '73" (VGP-011) consists of tracks 1, 2, 5, 7-14 from Brussels, 17 October 1973 (1st show) and tracks 3, 4, 6, 15 from London, 9 September 1973.

04-09-03 12:51 PM
jb Thank you....listening to these things for the first time is absolutely mind blowing....as I said to Max, my life will never be complete having never the opportunity to see the Stones with Mick Taylor.....those who did, are a select and privileged group....I wonder if they remember the concerts to be so earth shattering as the boots sound or whether it was just another 70's something concert.
04-09-03 03:49 PM
purrcafe My brother saw one of the 1969 MSG shows, and when I tried to question him about it, all I got was "I couldn't see." So much for realizing that you are witnessing history.
04-09-03 07:05 PM
vampire Dead Flowers, anyway, always & all-ways

Luxury - love the lyrics
Hey Negrita, a South America thing, you know...
Besides, I met a girl, named Adriana, the own encarnation of a Negrita girl, and she�s not quite negra. But i think
Mick (or Ron?) met this same girl
04-09-03 10:55 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Bah. That Mick Taylor, he sure was an awesome guy, but as Pete Townshend would say, "I dig every minute of the Stones!" That is to say, if I had the opportunity to see 'em then, I would have jumped at it. If the Stones of '72 suddenly started touring today, you bet your life I'd see 'em. But I love the Stones of '03 as well - the sheer fact that they're still playing *and* kicking ass.

And Ronnie's the man. Ahhhhhh, now let us praise "All Down The Line" circa 1975 - Taylor did cut some mean live versions of that tune as well, but nothing beats the sheer *energy* you get out of Ronnie on that song. He loves it. Taylor was a crunchy bluesman and a kickass rocker and great in his own way, but when it comes down to sheer preference, I've gotta say Ronnie's my choice.

On the other hand, I think the Taylor years were the high point of their studio carrer, for sure. *cawf*ExileLetItBleedStickyFingers*cawf*, and the constantly overlooked Six-Stone album It's Only Rock'n'Roll is awesome too. (Six Stones because Keith and Mick hung out constantly in Ronnie's house and "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" is a Wood/Jagger/Richards tune in that order, and then Taylor chipped in no small amount, and lo! An awesome album!)

As for most *commercially popular* Stones song? It's "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", GLIMTWIN. That's the song most people identify The Stones by, I think. I dunno, though. "Angie", I think, was actually their most *commercially successful* song, wasn't it?

My personal favorite continues to be "Rocks Off", followed closely by "All Down The Line", "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", "Far Away Eyes", "Brown Sugar", "Jumping Jack Flash", "Gimme Shelter", I'll go on for pages.

-tSYX --- And I'm always hearin' voices on the street...
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003