ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Thanks Throbby
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dylan @ American University Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
04-06-04 03:10 PM
Factory Girl jb, start FL10. I'm eligible to join...by golly!
04-06-04 03:31 PM
GimmeExile When I was at this show, I was amazed at the number of young girls who attended. When did Dylan add young chicks to his audience? Jesus, even the Stones can't do that anymore!

04-06-04 03:31 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Once again, Mr. Flea, you're engaging in some mighty Monkey-driven hyperbole when you do that there Piano/Bike Wreck math -- Maybe the switch to piano is the most exciting innovation since the heart infection (but, oh, wait, that'd be new songs) but even as a Dylan Piano adherent I think this is going a little over the top. I do love the sound of that crazy pound, though . . .

Yeah, I just can't help myself. I overstate my case every damn time.

I had really gotten to the point where I was SICK of Bob's guitar playing - agh! Can't believe I said that! But 'tis true. One of the songs I always wanted to hear from Bob was "Visions of Johanna" - I consider it one of the greatest songs anyone's ever written, NO hyperbole intended. When I finally DID hear it in '01, he topped it off with a three-note solo on his acoustic which did nothing but deflate it. I just wished he would've either skipped the solo, or given it to Charlie or Larry. Of course, I referred to my own words above, about taking what you get and being grateful. But NOW that he's playing piano, he's actually adding to the power of the music and the band.

It's the GREATEST THING EVER!

oops, I did it again.
04-06-04 03:41 PM
Joey

Fleabit .........................................

Are you going to see THE WHO with me this fall ?!?!

Please .................I's justs gots to's knows !!!!!!!!

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jersee !
04-06-04 04:04 PM
jb
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
jb, start FL10. I'm eligible to join...by golly!

04-06-04 04:55 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

I had really gotten to the point where I was SICK of Bob's guitar playing - agh! Can't believe I said that! But 'tis true. One of the songs I always wanted to hear from Bob was "Visions of Johanna" - I consider it one of the greatest songs anyone's ever written, NO hyperbole intended. When I finally DID hear it in '01, he topped it off with a three-note solo on his acoustic which did nothing but deflate it. I just wished he would've either skipped the solo, or given it to Charlie or Larry. Of course, I referred to my own words above, about taking what you get and being grateful. But NOW that he's playing piano, he's actually adding to the power of the music and the band.

oops, I did it again.

2001 Visions of Johanna, huh? I think I saw him do that right around then, and 'twas a big dream for the old Nasty One, too. Don't remember there being a solo, but do remember "TOOO pre-sass and TOO CLEAR that . . . . JOHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANA'S not . . . . .. . .

here

" real good. I hear what you're saying about Dylan's guitar playing - I suffered and bitched through ETERNITIES of it in the dark ass years of 93-96, but now that it's gone I find I miss it! Dude could pull out some wonderfully brilliant lines on occasion, although for sure there was lots of meandering, too. But for great Bob playing I've always held up the Grammies version of "Lovesick", which is to me just brilliant. And for incredible one note Dylan playing on Visions of Johanna, might I recommend the Minneapolis '92 (March 9) version, with its delightful little shuffle rhythm, a brilliant vocal and a great, mesmerizing musical ending, led by Bob (on acoustic).

Believe me, I know from Greatest Things Ever. Bob Dylan. Orange Peel (cap 950) this Friday. Will Be. The. Greatest. Thing. Ever!!!!!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
04-06-04 04:56 PM
Sleazy Hugh
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
When I was at this show, I was amazed at the number of young girls who attended. When did Dylan add young chicks to his audience? Jesus, even the Stones can't do that anymore!

That's Victoria's secret.

04-06-04 05:38 PM
Joey " That's Victoria's secret. "

That's Sleazy ! .................................Hugh !
04-06-04 08:51 PM
parmeda
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

oops, I did it again.

Flea...are you kidding!
You & SS need to contact a publisher.
Or better yet, a few editors and work on consignment!

I look forward to your reviews...you guys have a way of "puttin' me there", lol
04-06-04 10:29 PM
TomL WOW I had to drink a dozen beers before I realized it. C10A.................What an honor. I'll try and keep the faith. Any time you guys are in town give us a call.

I could not feel so all alone...so lets all get stoned

Thanks SS
[Edited by TomL]
04-07-04 03:59 AM
FPM C10
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Flea...are you kidding!
You & SS need to contact a publisher.
Or better yet, a few editors and work on consignment!

EDITORS! hmmmmph. We don't need no steenkin' editors. Every word is carved in stone.

Seriously, though, I will review Dylan and Stones shows for tickets, carfare and weed.

(ACTUALLY seriously - thank you for your kind words.)

Another word on Dylan confounding expectations - as I said, I expected to hear "It's Alright, Ma". He did it the night before. I WANTED to hear "Blind Willie McTell". He did it the next night. And Nanker wanted to hear "Cold Irons Bound". He opened with it tonight in Virginia.

But who the hell cares? I heard "The Ballad of Hollis Brown"!
04-07-04 07:57 AM
mac_daddy Washington D.C.
American University
Bender Arena
April 3, 2004

Disc 1 [53:38]
1 Maggie's Farm
2 The Times They Are A-Changin' (acoustic)
3 Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
4 Ring Them Bells
5 Down Along The Cove
6 Ballad Of A Thin Man
7 Dignity
8 Ballad Of Hollis Brown (acoustic)
9 Highway 61 Revisited

Disc 2 [62:10]
1 A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (acoustic)
2 Bye And Bye
3 Honest With Me
4 Standing In The Doorway
5 Summer Days
6 Cat's In The Well
7 Like A Rolling Stone
8 All Along The Watchtower
9 Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

Taper: 'jersey jon'
Show captured with DAT equipment
04-07-04 10:22 AM
FPM C10
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

That was quick!
Does this mean you have it already?
Wanna trade something?
04-07-04 11:51 AM
HardKnoxDurtySox if there are any trees or vines for this, count me in

quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
Washington D.C.
American University
Bender Arena
April 3, 2004

Disc 1 [53:38]
1 Maggie's Farm
2 The Times They Are A-Changin' (acoustic)
3 Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
4 Ring Them Bells
5 Down Along The Cove
6 Ballad Of A Thin Man
7 Dignity
8 Ballad Of Hollis Brown (acoustic)
9 Highway 61 Revisited

Disc 2 [62:10]
1 A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (acoustic)
2 Bye And Bye
3 Honest With Me
4 Standing In The Doorway
5 Summer Days
6 Cat's In The Well
7 Like A Rolling Stone
8 All Along The Watchtower
9 Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

04-07-04 12:03 PM
Joey

04-07-04 12:08 PM
Lazy Bones Hard Knox, I love the irony linked between your avatar and your signature. Nicely done!
04-07-04 12:12 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Hard Knox, I love the irony linked between your avatar and your signature. Nicely done!

why thank you

"Tell 'em all that Tiny Montgomery says hello"
04-07-04 12:15 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

why thank you

"Tell 'em all that Tiny Montgomery says hello"

...if I see her.
04-07-04 12:50 PM
Factory Girl maccy, do you have IT?
04-07-04 01:51 PM
jb
04-07-04 03:56 PM
FPM C10 JB wrote:

[Edited by FPM C10]
04-07-04 04:01 PM
jb
04-07-04 04:08 PM
Joey
quote:
Joey wrote:

04-07-04 04:21 PM
Joey

[Edited by Joey]
[Edited by Joey]
04-07-04 04:35 PM
Bloozehound Yea Bob on guitar is great!

04-07-04 04:41 PM
jb
04-07-04 05:13 PM
nankerphelge Did you get Greenguy's permission to use that??

04-07-04 07:18 PM
Martha
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Once again, Mr. Flea, you're engaging in some mighty Monkey-driven hyperbole when you do that there Piano/Bike Wreck math -- Maybe the switch to piano is the most exciting innovation since the heart infection (but, oh, wait, that'd be new songs) but even as a Dylan Piano adherent I think this is going a little over the top. I do love the sound of that crazy pound, though . . .

And judging from the recording of Down Along the Cove that's on bobdylan.com right now, FPM, I am 100% with you on the current arrangement of that number. Wow.

Y'alls reviews however have really geared up for this Friday night.

What's your schedule, Martha?

Still comin' to town or did you decide to give it a skip?

[Edited by Nasty Habits]

Give it a skip...not if there's breath left in my body....I'm coming to town my sock puppet, monkey lovin' friend. Get Ready! :-) I'll see ya' on Friday!!!

Yeah....Down Along the Cove...smokes! :-)

Bob on piano....absolutely!!!
04-07-04 07:20 PM
FPM C10 jb wrote:

04-07-04 07:22 PM
Martha
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Oh you'd hang with us just fine -- not everyone fries up the cells like the C10, but we love all company just the same!!!

Thanks again for the Dylan "Cliff's Notes"!!!

I ain't got spare cells to fry, I grew up in the 70's! LOL I wish I could have been there with you all though. Glad you dig 4/30/03 (you are very welcome). Sorry you didn't get Cold Irons Bound in person, though. Bob is mixing up the set like a crazed rock and roll madman....just the way we like him ehhh?!?!
Page: 1 2 3