ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

VIDEO HEADER: Jumping Jack Flask in Mexico City - February 26, 2006
Testing - this is a beta version ;)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wembley unlikely to be ready in time for Stones shows (The Observer) Return to archive Page: 1 2
20th March 2006 01:15 PM
jb The Quest Center has state of the art toilets.....
20th March 2006 01:22 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:
The Quest Center has state of the art toilets.....

They unzip your pants, and then shake the wee wee when you're done.

20th March 2006 02:51 PM
jb Bo Bice rules!!!!!!!!!!
20th March 2006 02:54 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
The Quest Center has state of the art toilets.....

Yes , comfy seats with enclosed ' faucets ' that spray your Ass just before one gets up to wipe ..... as if the toilets actually KNOW you have ' finished ' .

" I LOVE technology Ronnie ! "

Coily Joe ! ®
20th March 2006 08:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

The tax thing and now this!!!! I am happy Gazza came here..he used ADDA very effectively!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whats "ADDA"?

quote:
jb wrote:
Very unfortunate turn of events.........I will not do the "pitch" thing..I must have a broker guarntee first few rows .....where will Bon Jovi open???

hopefully in his back yard. There are 9 other shows (4 of them before the Stones gigs) that are also affected. As far as I know, the Stones are the only one of the 4 acts to have booked Wembley who have made alternative arrangements for another venue just in case

I await the obligatory "another managerial triumph for Michael Cohl" reply...
[Edited by Gazza]
25th March 2006 02:59 PM
Gazza Wembley builder says new setback won't delay opening

(New Zealand Herald)

Australian builder Multiplex said today the completion date of Wembley stadium would not be affected after the site suffered problems with its drain and sewer system, the latest in a string of setbacks.

Multiplex played down the problems saying 'snag' (contingency) time periods were routinely built in to such projects to avoid wider delays.

"We do not believe that the drain and sewage system remedial repairs will have any impact on the completion of the stadium." the company said in a statement.

The drainage systems are being put in for Multiplex by a local contract firm. The company could not immediately be reached for comment.

The delays come after a 50 tonne steel roof rafter slipped on Monday, with a loud bang across the development and over 3000 workers having to be evacuated from the site.

The £750 million ($2.2 billion) redevelopment of the stadium in northwest London has been dogged with problems. Costs of the project have soared and last year Multiplex was forced to issue six profit warnings as debts from the project spiralled.

The English Football Association (FA) suffered major embarrassment after it was forced to transfer May's showpiece FA Cup soccer final to Cardiff's Millennium Stadium after conceding Wembley would not be ready on time.

The FA has been left helpless as problems have mounted, although the English soccer governing body's contract with Multiplex has left the Australian firm to foot the bill.

"We will continue to work with Multiplex to get Wembley completed as soon as possible," the FA said in a statement on Thursday.

The original Wembley, probably the most famous soccer stadium in the world, was demolished in 2000 with the decision to tear down the stadiums emblematic twin towers highly criticised at the time.

- REUTERS

[Edited by Gazza]
26th March 2006 11:21 AM
Honky Tonk Man Thanks for posting Gazza.
26th March 2006 04:37 PM
Stray Cat UK I thought the new stadium was a 90,000 seater for sports events and concert capacity is usually about the same ?

That would be nearly 4 twicks (sounds like the next dvd!)or about a year of club gigs..yes please !
26th March 2006 05:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
I thought the new stadium was a 90,000 seater for sports events and concert capacity is usually about the same ?

That would be nearly 4 twicks (sounds like the next dvd!)or about a year of club gigs..yes please !

No...its always less. As one end of a stadium isnt used because its behind the stage, that takes several thousand off the capacity. Obviously, if its all standing on the pitch, thats a few thousand but that figure would be reduce if (as is the case with Stones UK shows) the pitch is all seated.

The new Wembley Stadium will have 90,000 seats when used for sporting events. The old stadium had a capacity of 100,000 which was reduced to 82,000 in the mid-80's when it became all seated. For concerts the capacity was limited to around 72,000 (with general admission on the pitch..when the Stones played there in 1999, I think it was limited to 70,000 - probably on health and safety grounds). I would guess that for the Stones' Wembley shows on this tour, the seating capacity would be anything up to 75,000 (extra tickets often get added because at the time the shows go on sale they dont know exactly how much of the pitch gets taken up by the stage)

The all-seated capacity for the 2003 shows at Twickenham was 52,000.

So, basically if they were to switch the shows to Twickenham (and assuming they sell all the tickets for Wembley - some more were added for all UK shows a few days ago) that would be a shortfall over the two nights of about 45,000 tickets. Which would realistically necessitate a 3rd night being added. At the minute they would need special permission to do that because Twickenham can only hold 3 shows per year - and The Eagles have one scheduled for June. If they get permission for a 3rd night, the logical thing to do would be to play on the 18th August as well and switch the Dublin show scheduled for that date, which has not gone on sale as yet. Pure conjecture and all "ifs and buts" of course.

Of the 4 acts who have booked Wembley for the 11 shows scheduled between June and September (Bon Jovi (2 shows in June), Take That (ditto) and Robbie Williams (5 in September)), as far as I'm aware the Stones are the only act who have made provisional arrangements for an alternative venue should the stadium not be ready. having done that, they'd obviously be aware of the large difference in seating capacities between the two stadiums, which makes me think that either a) they have made some arrangements to get a 3rd show added if need be or b) they held back the sale of a large number of tickets in case the Wembley gigs were called off. The guy who books the Stones' concerts (forget his name) even said a few weeks back when it was confirmed the stadium wouldnt be ready for the FA Cup final that the reason why the band passed on the chance to play the opening shows there in June was because they werent satisfied the venue would be ready in time.

The 10-11 June shows are still listed on Bon Jovi's website but from what I've heard there is not a chance in hell of those concerts taking place on those dates, nor will the Take That shows two weeks later. Whatever happens, those two acts will not be able to play Wembley before the date of the Stones' scheduled concerts.
27th March 2006 01:57 AM
kahoosier IF I remember right, and at my age I might not, I rememebr that I was surprised at how much of the pitch at the back was not used for the Licks show at Twickenham; at least the rear 25% had no seats. There was also a great deal of unused ground , at least Keith side, between the seated area and the stands. Maybe if the law allows and they crammed seats all the way to the rear wall of the pitch they might be able to squeeze the extras in.

Gazza...is it even really confirmed or conjecture that the Stones have the licenses for back up shows at Twickenham? If this is real, I can relax a bit more. But as far as I am aware, this is an unconfirmed hope/rumour at this stage.
27th March 2006 05:47 AM
Gazza Bjornulf mentioned that they had. Twickenham was long rumoured as a probable venue and for a while before the dates were confirmed, appeared to be a more likely location for the shows than Wembley was.

The Irish music magazine "Hot Press" have confirmed that there will definitely NOT be a Dublin show at Phoenix Park on August 18th. (There are however negotiations to have a show at Croke Park however - which, unlike Phoenix Park - would be a stadium as opposed to a 'field' show). No date mentioned, so I wouldnt automatically assume such a concert would take place on August 18th, in which case that would leave another free date for London.
27th March 2006 10:17 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
in which case that would leave another free date for London.

Hmmm... but where would they hold this concert?
27th March 2006 10:27 AM
jb I will pay whatever is necessary to ensure proper seating arrangements(first 3 rows) and deluxe hotel accomadations!!! I also want to spend time at harrod............thank you so much Gazza!!!
27th March 2006 10:32 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
I will pay whatever is necessary to ensure proper seating arrangements(first 3 rows) and deluxe hotel accomadations!!! I also want to spend time at harrod............thank you so much Gazza!!!

" Baubles, bangles,
Hear how they jing, jing-a-ling-a,
Baubles, bangles,
Bright, shiny beads.
Sparkles, spangles,
My heart will sing, sing-a-ling-a,
Wearing baubles, bangles and beads.
I'll glitter and gleam so,
Make somebody dream so,
That someday he may buy me,
A ring, ring-aling-a,
I've heard that's where it leads,
Wearing baubles and bangles and beads..... "
27th March 2006 10:52 AM
jb Glencar is a nice guy once you get to havebreakfast withhim........I feel he is reliable if I neede help in the city.....
27th March 2006 01:39 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Hmmm... but where would they hold this concert?

Twickenham, hopefully, if they get some special dispensation to play it
27th March 2006 01:43 PM
jb wHAT ABOUT THE "GLOBE"?
28th March 2006 12:10 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:
Glencar is a nice guy once you get to havebreakfast withhim........I feel he is reliable if I neede help in the city.....

Joshy, I sometimes think I know London as well as I know NYC! Your wish is my command!
29th March 2006 12:26 PM
Gazza Will Wembley be ready this year?

Last Modified: 29 Mar 2006
Source: ITN

Rugby Football League officials are confident that Wembley will be able to host this year's Challenge Cup final, despite reports that the stadium may not now be ready until 2007.

The Football Association has already been forced to switch the FA Cup Final on May 13 to Cardiff along with the Football League's play-off finals because of delays in finishing Wembley's £757 million redevelopment.

England's final World Cup warm-up matches have also been moved to Old Trafford and it is thought that rock concerts - Bon Jovi (June 11), Take That (from June 24) and Rolling Stones (from August 20) - could have to be switched to English rugby headquarters Twickenham.

Wembley Stadium contractors are due to hold talks in a bid to avoid hundreds of workers being laid off in a pay dispute, which is the latest blow to the project.

Workers were sent home for a day last week after a roof beam collapsed and there have been problems with the sewers under the 90,000-seat stadium.

The Rugby League has already sold more than 30,000 tickets for the August 26th final and are closely monitoring the situation.

An RFL spokesman said: "We have a contract with the stadium to play the Powergen Challenge Cup final there on August 26 and, until we are told differently, that remains the situation. If the worst-case scenario arose, we would consider other options but that has not arisen."

The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff has hosted the last three finals but is unavailable on August 26 due to a Rolling Stones concert.

Murrayfield and Twickenham have also been used since the last Rugby League Cup final at Wembley in 1999.

And it is thought that Twickenham would be the favoured choice for any contingency since thousands of supporters have already booked hotels in the capital.

ITN News.com

29th March 2006 12:29 PM
jb Le no saludarán
29th March 2006 12:39 PM
Gazza AUTUMN KICK-OFF FOR WEMBLEY

by Charles Sale

Wembley Stadium will not hold sports matches until at least the autumn, the Mail has learned.

The main contractor, Australian form Multiplex, is expected to confirm later this week that the stadium will not be handed over until August.

That means it is unlikely to be granted essential health and safety certificates in time for the Community Shield match on August 13, the proposed England friendly on August 16 and the Rugby league Cup final on August 26.

It will also rule out autumn internationals against Andorra and Macedonia and the planned series of summer concerts featuring The Rolling Stones, Take That, Bon Jovi and Robbie Williams .

The revelation came as hundreds of workes on the half-finished stadium were told they will be laid off next week because of a cash crisis. Some 200 steelworkers, welders and scaffolders struggling to complete the troubled project were given formal notice that their employment will be terminated on Tuesday, because sub-contractors claim they could not have been paid.

This could push the completion date of the £757 million stadium - already three years late - even further back than August. Multiplex is set to make losses of up to £200 million on the Wembley project after signing a deal to deliver it to the Football Association at a fixed price

- Daily Mail 29.3.06
[Edited by Gazza]
29th March 2006 04:07 PM
jb Great news!!! No يهين!!!
30th March 2006 04:15 AM
Gazza Wembley stadium officials have been in urgent talks with all the sporting bodies and promoters who are scheduled to stage events there in August and September.

They have been unable to give them any assurances, however, that their events will go ahead at the stadium as it looks increasingly likely that it will not be ready until December at the earliest.

This means that the Football Association will have to find a new home for four major matches, starting with the Community Shield on Aug 13 and a proposed England friendly match on Aug 16. The opening two European Championship qualifiers, against Andorra on Sept 2 and Macedonia on Oct 7, are also likely to be moved.

The Rugby Football League might need to find another venue for the Powergen Challenge Cup final on Aug 26 for which 30,000 tickets have been sold. Many fans have already booked accommodation in the capital so Twickenham might now have to be used as an alternative.

Rock concerts by the Rolling Stones and Robbie Williams are also under threat. The Stones are due to host two concerts there on Aug 20 and 22, and though Wembley have still retained the deposit paid on these concerts they cannot give any guarantee that the concerts will take place at the stadium on those dates.

This is because Multiplex, the builders, have been unable to give Wembley National Stadium Ltd, the FA subsidiary that runs the stadium, a firm date when the redevelopment project will finally be completed.

The last few weeks have seen fresh problems at Wembley. Workers were sent home for a day last week after a roof beam collapsed and there has been concern about the sewers beneath the £757 million, 90,000-seat stadium. This week there was also a sub-contractors' pay dispute which resulted in 120 steelworkers, scaffolders and welders being given notice that their employment will be terminated next Tuesday.

September is now thought to be the earliest date when Multiplex will hand over the keys. But even after they finish the job WNSL will require a further three months to fit out the stadium before it can be opened to the public.

Another concern is that the business plan under which the FA borrowed £433 million from banks to fund the project requires

£40 million in capital and interest to be paid back by September and the FA need revenue from the stadium to fund this.

Daily Telegraph, 30.3.06
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)