ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

VIDEO HEADER: Jumping Jack Flask in Mexico City - February 26, 2006
Testing - this is a beta version ;)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wembley unlikely to be ready in time for Stones shows (The Observer) Return to archive Page: 1 2
19th March 2006 02:50 PM
Gazza The Stones gigs arent specifically mentioned, but as theyre scheduled for 20 & 22 August, this report isnt hopeful. Looks like we're going to Twickenham again!

WEMBLEY IS highly unlikely to be ready in time to host the Community Shield on 13 August or an England friendly three days later. The FA fear that continuing problems in building the £757m stadium mean that it may still not be ready three months after its planned opening for the FA Cup Final on 13 May.

Alternative venues for the traditional curtain-raiser to the new season and the England match 72 hours later are being sought, with Old Trafford in line to stage at least one of the fixtures if required.

FA insiders say that, given various delays at the site, they cannot be sure Wembley will be able to stage England's first Euro 2008 home qualifier against Andorra on 2 September (2006), or even the second against Macedonia on 7 October (2006).

'We can't know anything, or plan anything for definite, until the roof is up and the "dry-run events" that are necessary for the stadium to get its safety licence have been held,' said one FA source. Builders Multiplex are months behind schedule and have lost around £150m because of a fixed-price contract to build Wembley for £352m.

An FA spokesman said: 'The opening date for Wembley will be announced in due course. Multiplex, Wembley National Stadium Limited and the FA remain committed to delivering the stadium at the earliest possible date.'

[Edited by Gazza]
19th March 2006 02:53 PM
speedfreakjive the Q. is, where will they be held if Wembley isn't ready? I reckon The Millenium Stadium.
19th March 2006 03:07 PM
Gazza Nope

Twickenham (theyre already playing Millenium Stadium in Cardiff the following week, so no way will they play 3 shows there)

As far as I'm aware, Twickers was provisionally booked in case such a scenario arose

However, Twickenham holds 52,000 for a concert with Wembley about 50% higher. They'd realistically have to add a third show to ensure that everyone gets in.
19th March 2006 03:22 PM
jb Gazza, howe can I get front row tickets........please e-mail me as we(family) may cross the pond........................developing.
19th March 2006 03:24 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Nope

Twickenham (theyre already playing Millenium Stadium in Cardiff the following week, so no way will they play 3 shows there)

As far as I'm aware, Twickers was provisionally booked in case such a scenario arose

However, Twickenham holds 52,000 for a concert with Wembley about 50% higher. They'd realistically have to add a third show to ensure that everyone gets in.

DOH! I didn't think about Twickers!
19th March 2006 03:38 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Gazza, howe can I get front row tickets........please e-mail me as we(family) may cross the pond........................developing.

already long sold, Josh but I'm sure there will be some reserved through the usual and appropriately named fan asylum packages through rs.com

there will no doubt also be plenty on e-bay or through various ticketbrokers oeprating online, but I'd hang fire for a while yet if you must use the latter.

No tickets have been issued yet and wont be for a few months, I'd expect.
20th March 2006 05:07 AM
Gazza Fuck me, you couldnt make this shit up. Did anyone say "A Bigger Bang" ?

Last Updated: Monday, 20 March 2006, 10:01 GMT

Staff leave Wembley after 'bang'

About 3,500 members of staff have had to leave Wembley Stadium after an "incident involving the roof".
The north London venue, which is still under construction, was evacuated before 0900 GMT, a spokesman for the building firm Multiplex said.

The GMB union, which represents workers, said there was an "enormous bang" and parts of the roof are thought to have dropped by 3ft.

The Multiplex spokesman said it was unclear what had happened.

He said: "I can confirm we have evacuated the stadium because of an incident.

"We don't have any more details at the moment and we are currently investigating."

Engineers are said to be on site.

The GMB union called for a full investigation to be launched.

www.bbc.co.uk/news
20th March 2006 05:48 AM
corgi37 Aussie builders - Aint they great?
20th March 2006 06:28 AM
jostorm No great surprises there, since when have Brits been remotely capable of organising anything at all on time???? If they really wanted Wembley to be built on schedule, they ought to have subcontracted to a German set-up....OR to the people from Heineken, HAHA...
Plus, the workmen employed to do the job have been going down to the bettingshop for months and betting large sums from their savings on the fact that it won't be ready in time, which is the best indicator it won't happen .....

Gazza: Any chance we can get them to play 25 consecutive Astoria gigs instead????
[Edited by jostorm]
20th March 2006 06:29 AM
Gazza theres a thought...

will you be cancelling your holidays if they do??
20th March 2006 06:33 AM
jostorm Cancelling??? I wouldn't even cancel a Tampax-order for the Stones nowadays, never mind my family holidays! (the way they have been financially fucking us fans), but I may consider pulling on some jeans and t-shirt on top of my bikini and flying in and out briefly for Astoria.... Have we got a date if it happens?????
[Edited by jostorm]
20th March 2006 06:38 AM
Honky Tonk Man This is bloody terrible; yet, I’m not at all surprised!

Oh well, as long as they don’t change the actual dates of the concerts and we all get offered the same tickets as we originally purchased, for example, I’m situated on the upper tier for the Sunday Wembley show, (I’d expect to be the same at Twickenham), I’ll be okay with this.

Lets just keep our fingers crossed that this won’t happen!
20th March 2006 07:44 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
This is bloody terrible; yet, I’m not at all surprised!

Oh well, as long as they don’t change the actual dates of the concerts and we all get offered the same tickets as we originally purchased, for example, I’m situated on the upper tier for the Sunday Wembley show, (I’d expect to be the same at Twickenham), I’ll be okay with this.

Seating capacity for a Stones show at Wembley : 70 - 75,000
Seating capacity for a Stones show at Twickenham : 52,000

Unless they do something to accommodate everyone who has bought tickets (eg add a 3rd show at Twickers), you might be listening to the show standing on Richmond Hill and hoping the wind is in your favour!
20th March 2006 08:16 AM
gimmekeef That sound you heard was Bon Jovi fillin his pants.......
20th March 2006 08:22 AM
Gazza He's been needing incontinence pads ever since the original date of May 2006 was ruled out and it appeared likely that the first band to play there would be the Stones...!

anyway, seems that today's events wont have made a major disuption (ie on top of the delays we already know about..)

----------------------------------

About 3,500 members of staff had to leave Wembley Stadium after a 50-tonne steel roof rafter dropped 3ft.
The north London venue, which is still under construction, was evacuated before 0900 GMT, a spokesman for the building firm Multiplex said.

Workers at the site said they heard an "enormous bang" before the evacuation.

Multiplex said a piece of steel fell to the ground in an area where there were workers but no-one was hurt. Most staff have been sent home for the day.

The BBC's Sally Nugent said the steel workers remained on site to shore up the beam.

The beam, which measures about 50m long and 2m wide, is at the northern end of the stadium.

The spokesman said: "It was a rafter in the roof that failed while it was being welded. It fell 3ft."

Engineers are on site.

The GMB union, which represents construction staff, called for a full investigation.

The stadium is due to cost the Football Association (FA) £757m.

Multiplex will be fined £125,000 for a day of lost work, on top of the wages bill for staff

20th March 2006 08:36 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Seating capacity for a Stones show at Wembley : 70 - 75,000
Seating capacity for a Stones show at Twickenham : 52,000

Unless they do something to accommodate everyone who has bought tickets (eg add a 3rd show at Twickers), you might be listening to the show standing on Richmond Hill and hoping the wind is in your favour!

Well, they're just going to have to add a 3rd show then! Though knowing the Stones, they'll probably cancel the shows and just hand out refunds! The simple truth is this. They CAN'T do Twickenham unless they're prepared to play an extra show to fit in everyone who purchased tickets for the two Wembley shows. The Stones are bound to sell extra tickets this way and we all know how much they love money.

20th March 2006 09:21 AM
Gazza An extra problem

Twickenham is only allowed to have 3 shows per summer

The Eagles are playing there in June. Which leaves the Stones with only two free dates if they need the stadium.

So, if they are to add a 3rd show, theyd have to get special permission to do so, or have it at a different location.

Must admit, despite all the fuck ups, I find it amazing that August is looking doubtful. They only decided last month to move the cup final in May to Cardiff again because they werent sure that the stadium would be ready in time for the required handover date of 31 March. That would have suggested that it was a close call.
[Edited by Gazza]
20th March 2006 10:41 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
An extra problem

Twickenham is only allowed to have 3 shows per summer

The Eagles are playing there in June. Which leaves the Stones with only two free dates if they need the stadium.

So, if they are to add a 3rd show, theyd have to get special permission to do so, or have it at a different location.

Must admit, despite all the fuck ups, I find it amazing that August is looking doubtful. They only decided last month to move the cup final in May to Cardiff again because they werent sure that the stadium would be ready in time for the required handover date of 31 March. That would have suggested that it was a close call.
[Edited by Gazza]

If Twickenham can only hold 3 shows per summer, the Stones will have to apply for special permission. I can't think where else they could play and to play only two shows there, leaving 40,000 people with no show to attend would be an absolute disgrace.

If they can't get a 3rd show, they should just hold out for another year. That’s the only fair way I can think of them doing it.

20th March 2006 11:35 AM
glencar I have 3 tix for Wembley's second show. If this is moved to Twicks, I'd just as soon get my pounds back. This has disaster written all over it!
20th March 2006 11:37 AM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
I have 3 tix for Wembley's second show. If this is moved to Twicks, I'd just as soon get my pounds back. This has disaster written all over it!

this is awful...best of luck to our friends on the other side of the pond!
20th March 2006 11:39 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:
I have 3 tix for Wembley's second show. If this is moved to Twicks, I'd just as soon get my pounds back. This has disaster written all over it!

If they end up playing Twickenham and add a third show, then there will be no problem. If they stick to two shows, then some will miss out and yeah, it'll have disaster written all over it!
20th March 2006 11:39 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:

Very unfortunate turn of events.........I will not do the "pitch" thing..I must have a broker guarntee first few rows .....where will Bon Jovi open???
20th March 2006 11:40 AM
glencar Well, it sounds like the fecking Eagles will ruin the plan for a 3rd Stones show. I hope to God that I'm not given tix to THAT show! LOL
20th March 2006 11:41 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Well, it sounds like the fecking Eagles will ruin the plan for a 3rd Stones show. I hope to God that I'm not given tix to THAT show! LOL

The tax thing and now this!!!! I am happy Gazza came here..he used ADDA very effectively!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
20th March 2006 11:42 AM
glencar I just put in for my vacation that week from work. I hope that even if it moves to Twix that the dates are roughly the same. I'd hate to have to "bang in" from across the ocean!
20th March 2006 11:44 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
I just put in for my vacation that week from work. I hope that even if it moves to Twix that the dates are roughly the same. I'd hate to have to "bang in" from across the ocean!

This has disater written all over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(see Japan, Amsterdam2, )
20th March 2006 11:45 AM
glencar Yes but this affects ME ME ME!
20th March 2006 11:47 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:
Well, it sounds like the fecking Eagles will ruin the plan for a 3rd Stones show. I hope to God that I'm not given tix to THAT show! LOL

A friend of mine will be in attendance. His grandmother is a HUGE fan and foolishly thinking it'll never happen, my mate agreed to attend if they played live over here. He's regretting it now, especially as she's made special t-shirts for the occasion!
20th March 2006 11:49 AM
jb
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

A friend of mine will be in attendance. His grandmother is a HUGE fan and foolishly thinking it'll never happen, my mate agreed to attend if they played live over here. He's regretting it now, especially as she's made special t-shirts for the occasion!

sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rtist: ("Welcome Back" by John Sebastian) Lyrics
Song: Welcome Back Kotter Lyrics
Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

[Edited by jb]
20th March 2006 12:23 PM
Joey

It looks like this summer's QWEST CENTER " Two Thousand Seat " Expansion Project will be finished in time for THE WHO ! . Word .

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)