ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Jon Furniss with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Clash Appreciation Thread (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
21st March 2008 04:55 PM
open-g
quote:
Jeep wrote:
A show from 1982 in Akron, Ohio.
Excellent soundboard (mp3) :

http://www.captainsdead.com/2008/02/20/we-finally-got-enough-people-for-a-seven-mile-spanking-machine/

Thanks for the link, Jeep
21st March 2008 08:49 PM
Glimmer Twin I was never into punk but I always thought highly of The Clash. They had the potential to be as big as the Stones. But they didn't understand you have to do the business part of the job. And they couldn't get along.
22nd March 2008 10:01 AM
BILL PERKS THE RAMONES ABSOLUTELY BLOW DOG
THEY ARE NOT IN THE SAME HEMISPHERE WITH THE CLASH
22nd March 2008 11:26 AM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
THE RAMONES ABSOLUTELY BLOW DOG
THEY ARE NOT IN THE SAME HEMISPHERE WITH THE CLASH

"Clash"? Isn't that a movie?
28th March 2008 12:30 PM
EELPIE
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

"Clash"? Isn't that a movie?

BONOISLOVE?

28th March 2008 02:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:
I was never into punk but I always thought highly of The Clash. They had the potential to be as big as the Stones. But they didn't understand you have to do the business part of the job. And they couldn't get along.

They DID understand. They were just idealistically trying to battle it. And did so quite successfully.
28th March 2008 06:59 PM
andrews27
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
The Ramones came pretty damn close, though.
imo

I love the Ramones and saw them at Irving Plaza, 1980. But they never wrote a song that can stand with a Stones song, or coverd a song as good as a Stones cover choice. The Clash came a lot closer to the Stones quality-wise, and certainly surpassed them in the political department.
28th March 2008 07:10 PM
andrews27
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:
I was never into punk but I always thought highly of The Clash. They had the potential to be as big as the Stones. But they didn't understand you have to do the business part of the job. And they couldn't get along.

The big self-destructive Clash problem, the issue that disabled them from surfing the commercial/non-commercial waves and troughs, was that Strummer was too pigheaded a rocker to keep putting up with Jones's multiculti influences. It's why he disappeared from one of the later Clash Euro tours for days - bigotry against Jonesy's songs.

"Cut the Crap" shows how wrong and how shortsighted Strummer was, and how threatened he felt. It's a wasted, shaming album that reveals how threadbare his mind had become in the struggle for dominance. A crying shame, as neither Strummer or Jones ever did again anything equal to what they did together, and - after the fine first Big Audio Dynamite album - what they did produce was pathetic, unlistenable piffle.

[Edited by andrews27]
28th March 2008 07:21 PM
andrews27
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

I love 'Sandinista!'.

Yeah, it's sprawling, but imo the CD release made it infinitely more accessible than the original three LP's.
Meh? Next!

Maybe some of the dub stuff could've been 86'd, and it peters out at the end, but hey, they wanted to put it all out there. Cheap.

And besides, 'Broadway' alone makes it worth owning.

That was the big competition album between Strummer and Jones. Strummer hated Jones's non-rocking songs, tape experiments, etc. So every long, pointless Strummer track on there (and I don't mean the wonderful Broadway) was meant as a rebuke to what Strummer saw as those tendencies in Jones - and to be fair, not every Jones dub on there is great.

I think there's four good sides out of six on the LP version. But the hateful competition factor, largely a Strummer product, was projected onto their dissatisfaction with Epic Records, thus forcing all six sides on us. Truly, a guerilla war with only phyrric victory at its end.

[Edited by andrews27]
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)