ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

"Shine A Light" London Premiere
Odeon Leicester Square, London - 2nd april 2008
© Jon Furniss with thanks to moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Clash Appreciation Thread (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
19th March 2008 08:23 PM
open-g there's been some threads, but they get burried in the archives.
is there no way to dig them out?
I would have posted it here if I could.
http://novogate.com/board/968/Archives/01-15-2008/240906-1.html

anyway, White Riot live at Victoria Park in London '78... is nearly a riot.
and surely a riot to watch
what a crowd.

[Edited by open-g]
19th March 2008 08:27 PM
fireontheplatter 'london calling' is a good cd, i think. i own it and play it one in awhile.

get down jimmy
19th March 2008 08:33 PM
Gazza Since the Stones, there hasnt been another band to touch them IMO.
19th March 2008 08:35 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Since the Stones, there hasnt been another band to touch them IMO.

The Ramones came pretty damn close, though.
imo
19th March 2008 08:36 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Since the Stones, there hasnt been another band to touch them IMO.

My 3rd fav. band. My fav. Brit band behind The Stones. I would be lost w/o The Stones, Ramones and The Clash.
19th March 2008 08:44 PM
open-g At that time, '78 - '80 it was kinda uncool with my mates to listen to the Stones - but I did when I was alone. lol.

The Clash were always top notch for me though.

I Fought The Law
19th March 2008 09:06 PM
open-g Fender sells a Joe Strummer relic'd Telecaster
http://www.fender.com/joestrummer/

and here's a site about the evolution of Joe's guitar
http://www.strummerguitar.com/evolutionofalegend.html

[Edited by open-g]
19th March 2008 09:40 PM
PartyDoll MEG Love me some Clash...

19th March 2008 09:45 PM
PartyDoll MEG open-g..why did you do this tonight?

I had stuff I was gonna do..."Take control, Meggy"

embedding disabled...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMsfRp7ydt0
20th March 2008 12:29 AM
GotToRollMe They just don't make 'em like that anymore. *sigh*
20th March 2008 01:49 AM
pdog
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
They just don't make 'em like that anymore. *sigh*

True, but there's punk rockers still carrying the torch...
20th March 2008 10:38 AM
open-g
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
open-g..why did you do this tonight?

I had stuff I was gonna do..."Take control, Meggy"

embedding disabled...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMsfRp7ydt0

when memory sparks and youTube is a click away to fuel it - you're done.
it takes control

do your stuff tomorrow, Meg
20th March 2008 02:45 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
open-g wrote:
At that time, '78 - '80 it was kinda uncool with my mates to listen to the Stones - but I did when I was alone. lol.

The Clash were always top notch for me though.

I Fought The Law

8 MILLION RECORD BUYERS DISAGREED=SOME GIRLS
20th March 2008 03:02 PM
texile apart from the stones,
the music and passion of the clash got me through my intermediate and high school years....
they are my second greatest rock and roll band...
20th March 2008 03:10 PM
open-g
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
8 MILLION RECORD BUYERS DISAGREED=SOME GIRLS

That of course is true, but it didn't apply to the punks I was hanging out with.

I was probably the 8 millionth+1 buyer then.
20th March 2008 03:37 PM
guitarman53 I saw The Clash in '79, when their album "Give 'Em Enough Rope" was first released, I saw them at a movie Theatre that only holds so many people, Joe Strummer was sweating like crazy because he put so much into his performance, later on The Clash got big, playing in big stadiums, but I remember them as a great Rock 'N' Roll band, they sure put on a great show that night.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/merrillm123/?action=view¤t=TheClash-1.jpg
20th March 2008 03:45 PM
Zack
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I saw The Clash in '79, when their album "Give 'Em Enough Rope" was first released, I saw them at a movie Theatre that only holds so many people, Joe Strummer was sweating like crazy because he put so much into his performance, later on The Clash got big, playing in big stadiums, but I remember them as a great Rock 'N' Roll band, they sure put on a great show that night.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/merrillm123/?action=view¤t=TheClash-1.jpg

Damn, you've seen some good shows. That handful of speed might have contributed to Joe's sweating as well, BTW.
20th March 2008 04:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I saw The Clash in '79, when their album "Give 'Em Enough Rope" was first released, I saw them at a movie Theatre that only holds so many people, Joe Strummer was sweating like crazy because he put so much into his performance, later on The Clash got big, playing in big stadiums, but I remember them as a great Rock 'N' Roll band, they sure put on a great show that night.

In fairness, they only really played big stadiums when they were supporting The Who.

Even in the UK, they generally elected to play theatres.
20th March 2008 05:00 PM
Fiji Joe Can someone explain to me if Sandinista is supposed to be genius or pure crap...I'm leaning towards crap at the moment...and I started from the standpoint of expecting genius
20th March 2008 05:05 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Can someone explain to me if Sandinista is supposed to be genius or pure crap...I'm leaning towards crap at the moment...and I started from the standpoint of expecting genius

For a 36-track triple album, you can imagine its a bit of both.

Incredibly self indulgent in parts, but some of it is amongst their best work. I'd basically say one-third brilliant, one-third decent and one-third filler.

At the time they kept the price to that of a single album, which meant they didnt make a penny on it until it had sold a few hundred thousand copies.
20th March 2008 08:12 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Can someone explain to me if Sandinista is supposed to be genius or pure crap...I'm leaning towards crap at the moment...and I started from the standpoint of expecting genius

I love 'Sandinista!'.

Yeah, it's sprawling, but imo the CD release made it infinitely more accessible than the original three LP's.
Meh? Next!

Lots of my favorite tunes are on there - 'The Magnificent Seven', 'The Leader', 'Somebody Got Murdered', 'One More Time', 'Let's Go Crazy', 'The Sound Of Sinners', 'Police On My Back', 'The Call Up', Washington Bullets', 'Lose This Skin', 'Charlie Don't Surf'...

Love the bit where Strummer calls WBAI and says "Yeah, I'd just like to say let's have some music now, huh?" and it blasts into 'Lightning Strikes'.

Maybe some of the dub stuff could've been 86'd, and it peters out at the end, but hey, they wanted to put it all out there. Cheap.

And besides, 'Broadway' alone makes it worth owning.
20th March 2008 10:44 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

I love 'Sandinista!'.

Yeah, it's sprawling, but imo the CD release made it infinitely more accessible than the original three LP's.
Meh? Next!

Lots of my favorite tunes are on there - 'The Magnificent Seven', 'The Leader', 'Somebody Got Murdered', 'One More Time', 'Let's Go Crazy', 'The Sound Of Sinners', 'Police On My Back', 'The Call Up', Washington Bullets', 'Lose This Skin', 'Charlie Don't Surf'...

Love the bit where Strummer calls WBAI and says "Yeah, I'd just like to say let's have some music now, huh?" and it blasts into 'Lightning Strikes'.

Maybe some of the dub stuff could've been 86'd, and it peters out at the end, but hey, they wanted to put it all out there. Cheap.

And besides, 'Broadway' alone makes it worth owning.

I'm sort of where Gazza is...it hit and miss...I would like to know more about the atmosphere around the band when they recorded this...seems like a strange period
20th March 2008 11:19 PM
open-g Wow, wow wow
I have Sandinista only on DAT and in my mind.
dat eats tapes these days but Sandinista opens opium minds....

whoaha trippy trippy yeah
20th March 2008 11:23 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
open-g wrote:
Wow, wow wow
I have Sandinista only on DAT and in my mind.
dat eats tapes these days but Sandinista opens opium minds....

whoaha trippy trippy yeah

I'll listen again...to make sure I'm not missing something
21st March 2008 01:20 AM
glencar Haven't listened to it in a while but I'll give it a whirl soon. I recall liking some of the ballads quite a bit. And Police On My Back seemed so good back then.
21st March 2008 05:35 AM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

I'm sort of where Gazza is...it hit and miss...I would like to know more about the atmosphere around the band when they recorded this...seems like a strange period

Very prolific period.

In the space of 12 months, they put out London Calling (double album), Black Market Clash (an album of b-sides and odds n ends), the 'Bankrobber' single with Mikey Dread (who died a few days ago) and then 'Sandanista' (a very diverse triple album). I suppose something had to give with that amount of output.

I think some herb may have been smoked.

The original idea was to release a single every MONTH during 1980, hot on the heels of the newly released London Calling album.

CBS baulked at the idea.

[Edited by Gazza]
21st March 2008 06:55 AM
corgi37 Never did anything for me. That whole punky thing left me cold. I guess i'd had it with U.K. bands by then.
21st March 2008 08:32 AM
Gazza I was never that much of a punk fan either. Much of what came out of that era was brainless, cartoon-like drivel.

However, musically and artistically, the Clash were much more than just a 'punk' band.
[Edited by Gazza]
21st March 2008 10:46 AM
Jeep A show from 1982 in Akron, Ohio.
Excellent soundboard (mp3) :

http://www.captainsdead.com/2008/02/20/we-finally-got-enough-people-for-a-seven-mile-spanking-machine/
21st March 2008 11:41 AM
Honky Tonk Man In all truthfulness, I’m not a huge fan of The Clash. I do, however, understand their importance, both musically and culturally. A band that initially exploded during the ‘punk’ movement, I think it was quite evident early on that they had the little something extra to propel them beyond the murky waters of the pierced navel and spiky hair brigade
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)