ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© Fin Costello with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: just listened to abb start to finish Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
15th March 2007 10:43 PM
glencar
quote:
fna69 wrote:
the lyrics for most of the songs are horrible. "The moon is yellow, i'm like jello staring at your tits". A 6th grader could easliy have written most of these songs. I dunno if it's micks attempt at looking cool, but its hard to believe the same guy wrote songs like Gimme Shelter and Sway.

But before that line he bemonas how others are more eloquent than him. That's why it makes sense although out of context it is notably bad. Still, it's no "sharks will cry!"
15th March 2007 11:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot >dude

find a date.....for gods sake.<

dude

I'm married.....for gods sake. Now, piss off.

Yo White House Lawn!

There are a couple clunkers on the new Stooges album for sure. The rest range from good to really good. None of it has jumped out at me as "great". But overall, I like it well enough. It feels like a Stooges album. I felt the same way about the new "new" New York Dolls album...except I thought a couple of those songs were "great".

Won't be my album of the year, but I do like to listen to it. It helps if you play it REALLY LOUD. Like, rattle the windows loud.
15th March 2007 11:12 PM
White House Lawn I think the guitars sound great, but a few tracks have some really dumb Iggy lyrics.

I shouldn't complain, though--I got lots of love for them Stooges!
15th March 2007 11:19 PM
Sir Stonesalot >but a few tracks have some really dumb Iggy lyrics<

Agree 100%.

But I betcha all those songs would be great to hear live. I think Ig's vocals are always better live.
15th March 2007 11:35 PM
Bob Tamp still like it quite a bit. To me, its still the most coherant stones album since Tattoo You.
15th March 2007 11:41 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
still like it quite a bit. To me, its still the most coherant stones album since Tattoo You.

ABB???? Best Stones album since Tattoo You. It takes a licking but keeps on ticking.

Peace and goodwill to all mankind
16th March 2007 01:32 AM
Zack Dumb lyrics are OK on Stooges albums but not Stones albums? OK, I get it.

"The moon is yellow, and I'm like jello" is exquisitely, spectacularly stupid. Compare to "England and France, these cultures are old/The cheese is stinky and the beer isn't cold" or "My dick is turning into a tree."

Sharks WILL cry, you know.
16th March 2007 02:03 AM
Sir Stonesalot Uh Zack. Didn't I just agree with White House about Ig's lyrics on the new album? There's a couple of songs on there that are real clunkers, and it's mostly because of Ig's insipid lyrics. I don't see how you think I'm giving him a pass.

What does it for me on "The Wierdness" is the smashmouth riffs and the driving, almost tribal, beats. Ig could babble complete nonsense and I'd still dig most of these songs. The Stooges, to me, have never been about lyrics...it's the riffs and the grooves.

I look for more out of The Stones than I do from The Stooges. And I expect better from the guy who wrote Street Fightin' Man and Gimme Shelter, than I do from the guy who wrote I Wanna Be Your Dog and Cock In My Pocket. Duh.

ABB doesn't blow just because Mick's lyrics suck(and they do). It blows because it doesn't fuckin' Rock OR Roll, and it sure as shit don't Rock AND Roll. IMO. The Wierdness, aside from a couple of unfortunate moments, does indeed Rock and Roll. IMO. And IMO, that automatically makes it better. IMO.
16th March 2007 05:35 AM
IrelandCalling4 All the excitement, way back in the summer of 2005 -- the anticipation of the Rolling Stones 'Bang' Opus, they were great days indeed. People wondering if it would be a latter day 'Exile', if it would equal past greats like 'Some Girls', some hoping it wouldn't be a Mick solo album, 'Goddess Part II', and some hoping it would just be better than some of their poorer efforts^

18 months on, I stil rate it highly, sure, it's a few tracks too long, but, there's plenty on there to love.

'Infamy' is quite woeful, one of Keef's worst songs, 'NeCon' is quite terrible also, bringing the 'Bang' quotient down a li'l.

However, still can't get enough of the quality of tracks like:

The bluesy & brilliant 'Back Of My Hand'
The excellent groove-fest 'Rain Fall Down',
Keef's wonderful 'This Place Is Empty'
Mick's equally wonderous 'Laugh I Nearly Died'
The grower, 'Biggest Mistake'
Mininal but magnifique - 'Dangerous Beauty'
Guitars' and Bars of 'Let Me Down Slow'
The juvenile but rollicking Rooster Rock of 'Rough Justice'

Not up there with the likes of 'Dice', 'Brown Sugar' et al, but, the snotty 'Oh No Not You Again' - yes, despite some crass lyrics, a growing-old-disgracefully tribute to T&A. A guilty stones pleasure if you will.

Even 'Streets Of Love' -- which I initially disliked, has been getting many-a-play...

A wee bit overlong, and a wee bit of filler, a few very dodgy tracks indeed, but overall, ABB has much quality stuff indeed..

Who would've thought the boys could sound this raucous, this disgraceful, and this magnificent, in 2005!

Long Live ABB!
[Edited by IrelandCalling4]
16th March 2007 07:03 AM
egon
quote:
Mahatma Kane Jeeves wrote:
We Don't Wanna Go Home should have been on ABB from the start

a very irritating song that never seems to stop
16th March 2007 07:05 AM
egon
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Biggest Mistake

A very boring song that never seems to stop

would have done well on a MJ solo record

"well" meaning it would have fit in,
NOT as in it would have sold well
16th March 2007 09:40 AM
72Tele Recorded well, played well, sung not so well and lyrics that are so bad I honestly can't listen. On the road Mick may be the straw that stirs the drink but in the studio he is the weak link.
16th March 2007 10:33 AM
jb A terribly disappointing album that I still cannot listen to in full....considering all the hype, it failed to produce even one hit single..
16th March 2007 10:36 AM
Saint Sway easily the worst and most dissapointing Stones album.

only a few notches better than GITD
16th March 2007 12:49 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:
a huge disappointment. The problem, of course, is that she has let her unbridled loyalty to Bush get in the way of giving him information he may not like to hear...You know, a "yes" woman(see those surrounding the Rolling Stones)

16th March 2007 01:48 PM
glencar
quote:
IrelandCalling4 wrote:
All the excitement, way back in the summer of 2005 -- the anticipation of the Rolling Stones 'Bang' Opus, they were great days indeed. People wondering if it would be a latter day 'Exile', if it would equal past greats like 'Some Girls', some hoping it wouldn't be a Mick solo album, 'Goddess Part II', and some hoping it would just be better than some of their poorer efforts^

18 months on, I stil rate it highly, sure, it's a few tracks too long, but, there's plenty on there to love.

'Infamy' is quite woeful, one of Keef's worst songs, 'NeCon' is quite terrible also, bringing the 'Bang' quotient down a li'l.

Not up there with the likes of 'Dice', 'Brown Sugar' et al, but, the snotty 'Oh No Not You Again' - yes, despite some crass lyrics, a growing-old-disgracefully tribute to T&A. A guilty stones pleasure if you will.

Even 'Streets Of Love' -- which I initially disliked, has been getting many-a-play...

A wee bit overlong, and a wee bit of filler, a few very dodgy tracks indeed, but overall, ABB has much quality stuff indeed..

Who would've thought the boys could sound this raucous, this disgraceful, and this magnificent, in 2005!

Long Live ABB!

Brilliant post! Others could learn from it. Hope to see you at a Dublin concert this summer!
16th March 2007 06:23 PM
time is on my side
quote:
IrelandCalling4 wrote:
All the excitement, way back in the summer of 2005 -- the anticipation of the Rolling Stones 'Bang' Opus, they were great days indeed. People wondering if it would be a latter day 'Exile', if it would equal past greats like 'Some Girls', some hoping it wouldn't be a Mick solo album, 'Goddess Part II', and some hoping it would just be better than some of their poorer efforts^

Long Live ABB!

Excellent post. It was a pleasure to read it. Thanks. I've always thought, like you, it was a little too long plus I would have included Under the Radar. Then that's just me.

Still, all in all, it's their best album since Tattoo You.

16th March 2007 06:35 PM
Dan I listened to it pretty constantly when it first came out and liked it at the time then put it on the shelf and haven't listened since. I might make an attempt this weekend but my tastes have trending toward the heavier stuff in the last several months. Yes the lyrics suck but unless I am listening to The Mentors or something I don't really pay attention or expect anything too profound.
16th March 2007 07:23 PM
glencar The Stones have rarely been heavy.
16th March 2007 07:27 PM
Dan
quote:
glencar wrote:
The Stones have rarely been heavy.

But they have their moments. Most nights, "Midnight Rambler" fits the bill as a lot of the 70's stuff done live.
16th March 2007 07:29 PM
glencar Moments do not a career make.
16th March 2007 07:33 PM
Dan
quote:
glencar wrote:
Moments do not a career make.

But its a great career if you have a moment for every mood.
16th March 2007 07:35 PM
glencar Maybe. I need to think about that...
16th March 2007 08:38 PM
Kilroy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I think we need to make this an RO project for the upcoming weekend.

We ALL listen to ABB from start to finish and see howe we feel about it 18 months (WOW!) after its release.

Who's with me??

LJ.

I'm In, let you know I like the whole album on Sunday.............
[Edited by Kilroy]
17th March 2007 12:44 PM
Bloozehound ABB supporters also tend to be big Mick solo album fans, cowink-i-dink ?

I don't think so...
17th March 2007 01:12 PM
Soldatti I heard it this morning again (second listen of the year) and it sounds worse every time. I fear this album (strong candidate for worst Stones album in all the lists on years to come) could be their full last studio release, they should end with a mature, creative and strong collection of songs and not with a half assed work with the worst lyrics ever put on record.
17th March 2007 01:36 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
could be their full last studio release, they should end with a mature, creative and strong collection of songs and not with a half assed work with the worst lyrics ever put on record.

yep

that's part of why it's so disapppointing, if not just downright sad
17th March 2007 01:47 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I heard it this morning again (second listen of the year) and it sounds worse every time. I fear this album (strong candidate for worst Stones album in all the lists on years to come) could be their full last studio release, they should end with a mature, creative and strong collection of songs and not with a half assed work with the worst lyrics ever put on record.

oh come on now...its not that bad.
17th March 2007 07:33 PM
Sir Stonesalot >oh come on now...its not that bad.<

Yer right it's not THAT bad. It's worse.
18th March 2007 01:17 AM
IanBillen
Ok. Why do I keep hearing a reference to Emotional Resque when talking about ABB? It doesn't sound like it or give that vibe.

I suppose it may run like it. But why? That would never occur to me if I have not seen it here so many times.

As an album I think ABB is much, much, better. Even LOADS better than ER.

Ian
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)