ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Olympic Sound or Pye Studios, London - November 1966
© The Conway Picture Library
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: And about Stones in Cuba? Return to archive Page: 1 2
March 15th, 2005 02:48 PM
Jair Do you think is possible we see Stones playing in Cuba some day as they did in China?

Fidel is on the Forbes magazine as one of the most rich men of the planet. And about the youth cuban? No Stones, no Internet, no freedom...WTF Fidel is thinking?

The cuban girls are beautiful? Are hot? What kind of music they like? Buena Vista Social Club? Here this is the name of a cookie!!!

At least Guevara had a certain charm, but Fidel???
Just wondering..

http://www.forbes.com/home/billionaires/2005/03/10/cx_lg_0310royal_bill05.html
[Edited by Jair]
March 15th, 2005 03:01 PM
Madafaka Cuba is beautiful, beaches are beautiful, girls are beautiful, ron is beautiful, but most of they don't know Stones. They enjoy Mambo, Salsa or singers like Silvio Rodriguez.

Here, the cookie name is 'Club Social'. Nice to put a little of 'Pate Sadia' over the cookie and drink a lot of Skol!
March 15th, 2005 03:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl WHo's gonna pay for that Jair?

Yes, Fidel is one of the richest men in the entire world, he owns a whole country with all the people in it. More than just owning and island, he owns Cuba

He must burn in hell now
March 15th, 2005 03:48 PM
voodoopug
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
WHo's gonna pay for that Jair?

Yes, Fidel is one of the richest men in the entire world, he owns a whole country with all the people in it. More than just owning and island, he owns Cuba

He must burn in hell now

The safety of them band could not be guaranteed and if there are any companies working with the tour based in the USA, then the trade embargo with Cuba will prohibit them from working there, if captured they may not ever get out of the country.

Cuba will continue to produce solid MLB pitchers though
March 15th, 2005 04:00 PM
glencar Cuba is one of the world's hellholes. Let's hope Fidel dies soon & democracy takes hold.
March 15th, 2005 04:14 PM
MrPleasant Their education system is great, but there's also a lot of hookers.

So, it's sort of like L.A. but without the education system.
March 15th, 2005 04:24 PM
glencar Or the food & moovie stars...
March 15th, 2005 06:24 PM
Soldatti The chances for a Stones concert in Cuba are less than zero.
March 15th, 2005 06:25 PM
glencar LOL I agree. More chance of a show in Uruguay.
March 15th, 2005 06:50 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Cuba is one of the world's hellholes. Let's hope Fidel dies soon & democracy takes hold.

Everyone I know who's been there really enjoyed it, actually and couldn't speak highly enough of the people who lived there.

Agree with your second sentence, however, although I'm not so sure the two would necessarily go hand in hand immediately

I don't think the Stones would be at much of a security risk if they played there, in all honesty. I don't imagine anyone would be that stupid living in a country like that to create such an embarrassing incident.

Things being as they are now though, it won't happen with the trade embargo and the amount of Stones personnel who come from the US. I also dont think the Stones' music would be widely know there anyway.

Personally speaking, I believe the Stones shouldn't play non-democracies anyway and effectively legitimize those type of governments. IMO they shouldnt have played China.
March 15th, 2005 06:56 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
LOL I agree. More chance of a show in Uruguay.

Of course!
March 15th, 2005 07:35 PM
glencar Gazza, I didn't mean to slam Cuba per se. I meant that the lack of civil liberties is what makes it a hellhole. Plus our news here reports tremendous poverty. I agree that the RS shouldn't play in non-democratic countries.
March 15th, 2005 07:40 PM
Scot Rocks Would rather they stuck to countries where freedom of expression is allowed however if they play China they can play Cuba too. Did they not play Indonesia on the last tour as well?
March 15th, 2005 07:44 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Personally speaking, I believe the Stones shouldn't play non-democracies anyway and effectively legitimize those type of governments. IMO they shouldnt have played China.

Well, that's a bit double. Principles are fine, but people suffer already from those dictators and they keep being punished by boycots. It's easy to have high moral principles if you live in the free West with abundance and all the free choice you can imagine (including seeing your favorite band wherever you might like...).
March 15th, 2005 07:46 PM
Scot Rocks Probably help Cuba more by lifting the sanctions.
March 15th, 2005 08:02 PM
glencar I don't think lifting sanctions helps out much.
March 15th, 2005 08:11 PM
Scot Rocks why not just treat it the same as other countries with similar dictatorships then?
March 15th, 2005 08:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Well, that's a bit double. Principles are fine, but people suffer already from those dictators and they keep being punished by boycots. It's easy to have high moral principles if you live in the free West with abundance and all the free choice you can imagine (including seeing your favorite band wherever you might like...).

I dont think it is, actually. I think the biggest double standards in that respect over the last few decades were when bands were in the 70's and '80's (rightly) blacklisted over playing in South Africa before apartheid was abolished and also given shit for playing South American countries run at the time by right-wing dictatorships - yet when Wham or someone like that played places like China it was seemingly OK and totally praiseworthy. It seems there was an appalling double standard where it was OK to play a left-wing country that allowed no freedom of expression or choice - yet not OK to play in a right wing country that was also guilty of the same thing.

They were all equally reprehensible forms of government in my eyes.

I respect your point about inadvertently 'punishing' people who were already suffering enough under such regimes and I agree with that to some degree. However, when you're playing such countries, you're doing so on the terms of their government. Remember how many times the Stones tried to play China in the last 30 years yet kept being banned for ridiculous things like "cultural pollution" and such nonsense. If those kind of governments have an approved list of foreign artists who can or can't play in their country, then there's something seriously fucked up in my book. I don't see why any band should be so desperate to play somewhere where they have to kow-tow in that way to governments who they themselves would find morally repugnant.

Fortunately, the world has changed enough in the last 20 years where those governments are fewer and far between, but theres still too many.

and I can assure you my moral principles are nothing to with living in the 'free west'! Some things can't be bought off....
[Edited by Gazza]
March 15th, 2005 09:34 PM
Madafaka I wanna a concert in Uruguay because I'm in 25' by plane!
March 15th, 2005 11:19 PM
Taptrick They could play Cuba and OPEN WITH INDIAN GIRL:

"...he's fighting for Mr. Castro in the streets of Angola..."

That would be hilarious.

Cuba is set up to have Castro's brother or some other relative assume the dictatorship as soon as Fidel coughs his last flem ball.
[Edited by Taptrick]
March 16th, 2005 12:27 AM
gorda Americans are not supposed to visit Cuba, but I once saw this news report on one of those shows Dateline or 20/20, I forget which, anyways, they went to Cuba and interviewed a bunch of Americans that go down there!

Apparently, there are daily flights to Cuba from Mexico, and once you are there just ask the Cuban officials not to stamp your passport! (According to the story, the Cubans want your American dollar, so they will do it.)

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

P.S. I love the way Cubans speak Spanish! They speak super-fast! So fast they don't even bother to pronounce all the sounds, especially the "r"!!! They love to drop the "r".

P.S.S. I can imitate them perfectly! Ha! Ha!
March 16th, 2005 12:28 AM
gorda I also imitate Argentineans!

And, I imitate Brazilians even though I don't speak Portuguese!
March 16th, 2005 12:30 AM
gorda And I love to talk with a Southern accent, too!

And, of course, I exxagerate the real Mexican accent! Ha!

I'll bet y'all didn't know I was so fucken talented!
March 16th, 2005 04:26 AM
Gazza
quote:
gorda wrote:
And I love to talk with a Southern accent, too!

And, of course, I exxagerate the real Mexican accent! Ha!

I'll bet y'all didn't know I was so fucken talented!

oddly enough, no.....
March 16th, 2005 08:59 AM
Madafaka
quote:
gorda wrote:
I also imitate Argentineans!

Hum... I don't think so...
March 16th, 2005 09:44 AM
Jair
quote:
gorda wrote:

And, I imitate Brazilians even though I don't speak Portuguese!

Well, I'm paying to see that, Gordita.
Anyway, I can imitate Americans - those who don't speak English

March 16th, 2005 09:54 AM
Jair
quote:
Madafaka wrote:

(...)Here, the cookie name is 'Club Social'. Nice to put a little of 'Pate Sadia' over the cookie and drink a lot of Skol!

Madafaka, you're eating/drinking too many Brazilian stuff, huh? Glad to know...
March 16th, 2005 09:58 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Jair wrote:
Madafaka, you're eating/drinking too many Brazilian stuff, huh? Glad to know...

Yeah, because I was in Rio two weeks ago
March 16th, 2005 06:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gorda wrote:

Nobody can imitate us.
March 16th, 2005 07:51 PM
gorda
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Nobody can imitate us.

Believe me I can imitate you guys exactly!

People trip out!

I have been watching telenovelas since I was eight years old! Telenovelas from Mexico, Venezuela, Columbia, and Argentina. (I got the accent down pact.)
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood