ROCKS OFF - The Rollingt Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Isle Of Wight Festival, Seaclose Park, Newport, IOW 10th June 2007
© Andy Paradise with thanks to moy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Iggy & Stooges to Perform Madonna Medley at HOF Return to archive Page: 1 2
4th March 2008 08:06 PM
GotToRollMe This is creepy on so many levels, not the least of which is that Iggy and The Stooges themselves have never been inducted into the HOF.
---------------------------------------------------------

Iggy Pop to Perform for Madonna at Hall of Fame Induction
March 04, 2008 03:50:13 GMT
by Staff Writer

Having Justin Timberlake to induct her to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Madonna is treated with other forms of tribute. Iggy Pop and the reunited The Stooges will perform during her induction ceremony which will be held next week on March 10 at Waldorf-Astoria Hotel.

Pop who is the lead vocal of The Stooges, has been known to be Madonna's opening act at the Dublin date during her Reinvention Tour in 2004. He reportedly has agreed to perform the punked up versions of her hits as a tribute. Meanwhile, both The Stooges and Madonna are Detroit natives.

Timberlake will introduce Madonna at the New York City ceremony and a number of other musicians are also set to perform during the occasion. Those slated to appear are Damien Rice for Leonard Cohen, James Cotton for Little Walter, Patti LaBelle for Gamble & Huff, plus John Mellencamp and The Ventures, both of whom are being inducted.

Madonna is inducted to the Hall for her 25 years of contribution to music industry. She first signed to a major deal in 1982 when she was made an artist under Sire Records. She will on April 19, release her eleventh studio album titled "Hard Candy" via Warner Bros. "The album title is a juxtaposition of tough and sweetness...kind of like I'm gonna kick your ass but it's going to make you feel good. And of course, I love candy," Madonna said of her new record.

Link: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00014491.html

4th March 2008 08:37 PM
pdog The Supersuckers and Ciccone Youth (Sonic Youth) have done great versions of Madoonna songs. So, i have a reasonable expectation Stooges will do a great job... I like Madonna songs reworked into god awful punk and roll...
4th March 2008 08:39 PM
mac_daddy funny - no mention of watt and his madonna connection.

this could be kind of cool.
4th March 2008 09:09 PM
PartyDoll MEG Well I feel your pain, GTRM!!

Then again I have not one once of love for anything "Madonna"...

4th March 2008 09:12 PM
pdog
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
funny - no mention of watt and his madonna connection.

this could be kind of cool.

Watt was a memeber of Cicconne Youth...
4th March 2008 09:13 PM
pdog
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Well I feel your pain, GTRM!!

Then again I have not one once of love for anything "Madonna"...

I've wanted to have rough sex with her...
4th March 2008 10:28 PM
parmeda
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
This is creepy on so many levels, not the least of which is that Iggy and The Stooges themselves have never been inducted into the HOF.

Oh, you said it!
And, Timberlake doing the induction?
Jesus - it's going to be like an accident you don't want to see but just gotta take a peek at it!

Hey Meg!
She might not be one of your favs, but add her to the list of "Have to see before I die...". Hell, the crowd she draws is an experience in their own right, lol
5th March 2008 01:01 AM
glencar Suicide right on the stage...
5th March 2008 06:56 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Oh, you said it!
And, Timberlake doing the induction?
Jesus - it's going to be like an accident you don't want to see but just gotta take a peek at it!

Hey Meg!
She might not be one of your favs, but add her to the list of "Have to see before I die...". Hell, the crowd she draws is an experience in their own right, lol

Sorry, my friend. I DO have principles. I have yet to spend one cent on that bitch...and I will forgo the pleasures of "crowd watching" to continue until my dying day to ignore her.
The word I would like to say to explain how much I despise her..Gazza and Jane Fonda can say it without batting an eye...
5th March 2008 07:15 AM
egon i thought it was the ROCK & ROLL hall of fame...?
5th March 2008 07:20 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
pdog wrote:

Watt was a memeber of Cicconne Youth...

well, yeah - i know that , but i am surprised there was no mention of it in the news article...

that ciccone youth was a big deal, 'cos it was like the first time watt played on something after d boon's passing...

i still think this could be kind of cool.

5th March 2008 07:31 AM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Sorry, my friend. I DO have principles. I have yet to spend one cent on that bitch...and I will forgo the pleasures of "crowd watching" to continue until my dying day to ignore her.
The word I would like to say to explain how much I despise her..Gazza and Jane Fonda can say it without batting an eye...

+++ BLANK FRIGGIN' STARE +++

(Intrigued that I have something in common with Hanoi Jane, of all people..)

5th March 2008 08:21 AM
Lou I think Iggy singing Like a Virgin would be fabulous . . .
8th March 2008 12:47 AM
GotToRollMe I love him, but this is just too good not to post. And Lou...LOL...

8th March 2008 12:59 AM
GotToRollMe Mama Won't Screech
Lou Reed will induct the somnambulant Leonard Cohen

Friday, March 07, 2008
By Roger Friedman

Madonna won't perform at Monday night's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Show. Wasn't that the whole point?

Madonna is either too busy or too famous to perform at Monday night's New York dinner for Jann Wenner's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Wenner must have lost his touch. In the old days, he could make inductees do anything.

Instead, sources say, the Kabbalah-loving, recently refreshed Material Mom will just show up, get toasted by Justin Timberlake and be serenaded by rock/punk legend Iggy Pop on some of her hits.

Of course, Iggy, who preceded Madonna in the music world by a good 15 to 20 years, is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This is the closest the nominating committee ever has allowed him near it.

So this means Madonna won't do what just about every living inductee before her has done. Is it the beginning of a trend? Maybe they can add a category: non-performing performers.

Because Madonna can't or won't perform, and the other inductees are not exactly rock stars, the evening is shaping up to be a true disaster commercially for the money-hungry Hall of Fame Foundation.

For the second year in a row, VH-1 is not airing the show live on its main channel. Instead, it's relegated the live broadcast to VH-1 Classics - live on March 10, which has a tiny audience. The regular VH-1 showing won't come until March 22 - 12 days later.

But who can blame them? They pay to tape and broadcast the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Show. Madonna isn't exactly a rock star in the traditional sense, but she definitely was more attractive because of her potential ratings pull. Without her, there virtually is no guaranteed TV audience.

VH-1 knows it, too. As of Friday, there was almost no mention of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on the VH-1 web site. It's all been pushed to VH-1 Classics as if it were a moldy oldies show. Sad.

At the moment new friend and business partner Timberlake inducts the Material Mom, VH-1 will be showing "Flavor of Love 3," a "reality" show.

Even better: Where will Madonna, her husband, three kids and various sycophants sit in the Waldorf-Astoria ballroom? And who will pay for their tickets? Warner M. (the "M" is for "Measly") Group is so excited about her induction - timed with the imminent release of her final album with them - it has given just one table for the event.

Yes, let's get that straight. WMG lost $30 million last year on a soured deal with a bad concert promoter, spent hundreds of thousands more on failed lobbying in Washington, D.C., and its music chief, Lyor Cohen, vacationed last Christmas in St. Bart's, where a glass of grapefruit juice is $12.

But the company only bought one table to support Madonna's induction into the Rock Hall. If I were her, I'd be nervous about that new album. If WMG does its usual stellar job, the CD should have one great week and then sink like a stone. Can you imagine if WMG actively sabotaged it?

The rest of the Monday night show is kind of a nightmare: The whole draw will depend on John Mellencamp, the only actual rock inductee of the night, doing something with Billy Joel.

Patti LaBelle - also not in the Hall of Fame - is performing for Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff; The Ventures certainly will do one of their instrumentals, with the now-ubiquitous John Fogerty; Lou Reed will induct the somnambulant Leonard Cohen and maybe turn "Suzanne" into a barn-burner.

But mostly the Rock Hall show sounds like the grind it's been designed to become. And isn't this what years and years of hubris gets you? By ignoring a generation of potential inductees - almost all of the '70s - they've cut off most of their audience.

The days of the fabled show-ending jam sessions are over. It's not like Madonna's going to be singing unaugmented lead with Mellencamp on "Little Pink Houses," now, is it?

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
8th March 2008 12:59 AM
mojoman
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
I love him, but this is just too good not to post. And Lou...LOL...

funny!!!
8th March 2008 11:05 AM
guitarman53 Iggy & The Stooges & Lou Reed should be inducted, I grew up playing their music, Madonna?????? I know she's very popular with the gay community, but to be inducted before the two mentioned, is absolute dumb, if it wasn't for MTV she probably wouldn't even be known, not by her music anyway.
[Edited by guitarman53]
8th March 2008 11:31 PM
GotToRollMe MADONNA IS TURNING INTO IGGY POP
She really is starting to look like him!!

Can anyone think of a reason why Madonna would be asking Iggy Pop to perform when she is inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame later this month?

We can: it's because SHE'S PHYSICALLY BECOMING HIM.

Just look, the evidence is all there: overly developed muscles, wiry sinews sliding around under a taut covering of desiccated skin, desperation to hang on to a long-departed youth shining in the eyes, hair dyed to within an inch of turning into a Brillo pad, crazed wailing emitting from cat's arse mouth...

We think Madge will have fully made the transition into Iggy in the next month or so and after that there'll only be one person for her to set her sights on: Mumm-ra The Ever Living...

Link: http://www.holymoly.co.uk/news/28/madonna-is-turning-into-iggy-pop-2649.html
9th March 2008 10:20 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Gazza wrote:

+++ BLANK FRIGGIN' STARE +++

(Intrigued that I have something in common with Hanoi Jane, of all people..)

The big "C". Can't say it here unless you want to turn a women into a murderous maniac....

Photobucket
10th March 2008 12:27 PM
Dan Why does anybody even give a fuck? The Hall Of Fame is about the most un-rock n roll thing in the industry. Getting inducted should be considered an insult/
11th March 2008 01:11 AM
Paranoid_Android They are two of Motown's best acts ever...makes sense to me!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E3OdtYmTXw
[Edited by Paranoid_Android]
11th March 2008 12:10 PM
GotToRollMe Well, I don't get VH1 Classic, but I did receive some distoibing pictures this morning. And Dan, you're right - at this point it should be considered an insult. There's nothing "rock and roll" about it anymore. It seems it's been absorbed, cleaned up, and spit back out into the mass culture just like everything else that was ever cool.

Justin Timberlake, Iggy Pop & Madonna: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

God, I love Iggy Pop. I love his staunch refusal to wear clothing. I love his friendly orange glow. But most of all I love how he probably just wandered, uninvited, up to Madonna and Justin Timberlake and started pulling them close to his naked man chest. Grrr, that's rock n roll for you.

Igs, Madge and JT were lovingly shoehorned into the proceedings at the snappily titled 23rd Annual Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in New York last night.

As lovely as it is to see such muso legends pretending to be great mates, they could at least do us the decency of consulting a mirror before they leave the house.

Having said that, this is primarily a plea to Madonna and her stylist (who obviously hates her, BTW). Seriously, woman. PVC? Thigh flashing? Latex knee-highs? Ye gods.

Not content with questionable dominatrix outfits, Madge has apparently taken to pulling down Trousersnake's pants. Not that I blame her. Although I'd rather pull off those vile trainers.

Rumour has it the poor mite felt ill one day when working on Madonna's new album, Hard Candy. She asked whether he wanted a vitamin shot, pulled out a syringe and said 'drop 'em.' Justin's since said it was one of the greatest days of his life.

Which just goes to prove that the life of a pop star can't be all that great, eh? Weirdo.

Link: http://www.osoblog.tv/2008/03/justin_timberlake_iggy_pop_mad.html

--------------------------------------------------------

Who does NOT belong here??!!

Pop and his mates played fuzzy, clomping versions of her early hit, "Burning Up" and her more recent dance track "Ray of Light."

The music channel VH1, which broadcast the induction ceremony, showed several shots of Madonna rolling her eyes, as if half enjoying and half regretting her choice.

Iggy Pop and company careened through a pair of Madonna songs -- ripping the pop sheen right off of "Burning Up" and "Ray of Light" -- to consecrate their fellow Michigan icon's induction into the rock hall. The selection of pop queen Madonna had been criticized by many rock fans leading into Monday night, and the Stooges offered an ideal antidote. It was the Stooges' moment of glory, but this was still Madonna's moment.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
11th March 2008 12:36 PM
LadyJane Will we get to see any of this on regular VH1???

LJ.
11th March 2008 12:53 PM
Gimme Shelter
11th March 2008 06:53 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Will we get to see any of this on regular VH1???

LJ.

April 19th.

Here's the other performance from last night.
"Ray Of Light"

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
11th March 2008 07:44 PM
PartyDoll MEG GTRM..

I have my principals..I WILL NOT watch that video!

EVEN if it IS good old Iggy looking like the bitch. he IS singing her song!!!

[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
11th March 2008 07:51 PM
GotToRollMe She looks like she's had a little "woik" done as well, MEG...
12th March 2008 12:29 PM
Dan I don't see anything wrong with that, and Ray Of Light is a good song.
12th March 2008 12:45 PM
BONOISLOVE Madonna isn't bad - if you're into artists who trick their audience into believing that the performer is a wannabe lesbian. For that, at least, she is not welcomed in my house.
12th March 2008 03:50 PM
Lou
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

April 19th.

Here's the other performance from last night.
"Ray Of Light"

[Edited by GotToRollMe]

Sounds better than The Weirdness . . .
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)