ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Tonight: Carlo Little Memorial Gig
7.30 PM at York House, Richmond Road, Twickenham, London
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Chicago sale of A Bigger Bang Return to archive Page: 1 2
15th March 2006 01:12 PM
nanatod This post is for Voodoopug, Parmeda, Polksalad, and the other Chicagoans who post on this board.

The ad in the March, 2006 Illinois Entertainer for Rolling Stones record store on Irving Park Road has the usual discount coupons, but it also has a coupon indicating that A Bigger Bang is on sale for $7.99 with the coupon.

What do you read into this promotion?
Does this mean that Rolling Stones is overstocked with the CD because it won't otherwise sell?
Or is it Rolling Stones just using it as a loss-leader to get people into the store(which IMO is not only the best record store in Chicagoland, but also the best video store)?
15th March 2006 01:22 PM
Break The Spell A record store where I live had it for $8.99 for the first two weeks it was out. I asked an employee there how it was doing and he said the sales were pretty brisk with the price they were selling it for.
15th March 2006 02:34 PM
glencar Buy a dozen copies each!
15th March 2006 02:39 PM
Joey

It is a crafty marketing ploy now that the American Leg of the tour is completely over ............... or IS it ?!?!

Developing ............................

" Baby Steelie Me Ronnie ! "

Jazzy !
15th March 2006 02:40 PM
Break The Spell Has ABB hit the 500K mark yet?? Last I heard it was hovering in the 490's.
15th March 2006 02:43 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

It is a crafty marketing ploy now that the American Leg of the tour is completely over ............... or IS it ?!?!

Developing ............................

" Baby Steelie Me Ronnie ! "

Jazzy !

Free copies of ABB or a free car wash with every fillup...
Lots of clean cars...
Joey !!!
[Edited by pdog]
15th March 2006 03:10 PM
MidnightRambler That store is in my neighborhood and is like 3 mins away from my house. It's always been $7.99 with that coupon since prolly a month after the CD was released.

I will say that the jewel case is a bit cheaper looking but i'm 100% positive it's an authentic CD and stuff.

That store has got great deals all the time. For example, a lot of the reissued cds are from $7.99 to $9.99. The double CD ones are like 14.

All their CDs are wonderfully priced. If you want to go on a shopping spree go there you might find good stuff.
15th March 2006 03:36 PM
Break The Spell I never did buy the repackage of ABB with the DVD and all. I do like the song "Under the Radar" though. Is it worth it for the DVD??
15th March 2006 03:54 PM
nanatod "That store has got great deals all the time....All their CDs are wonderfully priced. If you want to go on a shopping spree go there you might find good stuff."

It's not just the prices. It's the selection. Rare metal and hard rock CD's. All sorts of box sets and compilations you will never see elsewhere. Foreign feature film dvd's that Facets doesn't even have, etc.

I only go to Rolling Stones infrequently because I'm afraid I'll spend too much there.
15th March 2006 03:56 PM
Break The Spell This place sounds great, I'm a big collector as well as fan and I'd like to check this place out when I visit Chicago this summer. Where is it located exactly??
15th March 2006 04:04 PM
nanatod Across from the Harlem-Irving Plaza shopping center, it is on Irving Park Road. It is about eight miles due west [and slightly north] of Wrigley Field, or in other words, about three miles southeast of O'Hare.
15th March 2006 04:17 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Across from the Harlem-Irving Plaza shopping center, it is on Irving Park Road. It is about eight miles due west [and slightly north] of Wrigley Field, or in other words, about three miles southeast of O'Hare.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to remember to bring along lots of extra $$. I tend to go overboard in stores like that sometimes, you go in for one or two things but then you keep seeing different things you want.
15th March 2006 04:21 PM
MidnightRambler Yeah, there was a time that i spent WAAAY too much there...especially on bootlegs which during the B2B tour...they had an abundance..priced at $19.99-$39.99...i was used to those prices..and sometimes paid for them.

But since the internet grew into a wonderful moster for bootlegs and trading...i stopped buying from there...and also they have also carried drastically fewer bootlegs prolly because of the same reason--no one was buying because of the internet. They do have prolly a handful of bootlegs there now.

Also, nice sized DVD selection--lot of bootlegs there. Remembering seeing the SARS complete concert..and Ladies and Gentlemen...

Love that place and always fantasized the Stones playing on the roof of it.
15th March 2006 04:35 PM
Riffhard Please delete this thread before Josh sees it. I fear that his humiliation would be unbearable.

Riffy
15th March 2006 08:50 PM
Soldatti ABB was OVERSHIPPED to stores. Right now, there are more than 500,000 copies on stores. The album has sold 503,000 copies so far until this week.
15th March 2006 09:29 PM
PolkSalad yeah Stones is a great store. last time I went the selection didn't seem to be as good as in the past. haven't been there lately. met Danzig, Megadeth, Soundgarden and Rollins there.
15th March 2006 10:09 PM
glencar
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
I never did buy the repackage of ABB with the DVD and all. I do like the song "Under the Radar" though. Is it worth it for the DVD??

You simply must buy the DVD/CD combo! I play it everyday!
16th March 2006 12:26 AM
parmeda
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
This place sounds great, I'm a big collector as well as fan and I'd like to check this place out when I visit Chicago this summer. Where is it located exactly??

Just for you, Break...

http://www.rollingstonesmusic.com/contact.asp

Pack a lunch when you visit this joint...you'll be in there all day!

Hey, nanatod...I can't say much for the coupon thing other than I know that's their "schtick". A Bigger Bang could be the flavor of the month, lol.
16th March 2006 07:06 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Just for you, Break...

http://www.rollingstonesmusic.com/contact.asp

Pack a lunch when you visit this joint...you'll be in there all day!

Hey, nanatod...I can't say much for the coupon thing other than I know that's their "schtick". A Bigger Bang could be the flavor of the month, lol.

Thanks for the link, boy I'm in trouble now!! Thats OK, its been forever since I've made it to Chicago and visiting this place will definately be one of the highlights of my trip. Sounds like they have lots of good DVD's as well. Better start saving now...
16th March 2006 09:30 AM
nanatod "A Bigger Bang could be the flavor of the month, lol."

It's not the only one. I keep seeing their coupon for Black Sabbath's greatest hits for $1.99!!!!!!!!!

I guess Rolling Stones assumes that everyone who goes to their store owns all of Ozzy's work already.
16th March 2006 09:33 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
nanatod wrote:
"A Bigger Bang could be the flavor of the month, lol."

It's not the only one. I keep seeing their coupon for Black Sabbath's greatest hits for $1.99!!!!!!!!!

I guess Rolling Stones assumes that everyone who goes to their store owns all of Ozzy's work already.

On top of that, its like the 4th compilation to concentrate on just the 70-78 period. None of the Sabbath compilations have Heaven And Hell, Mob Rules, Zero the Hero and Neon Knights, some of their best songs, but all post-Ozzy, so Sharon don't acknowledge they exist.
16th March 2006 10:07 AM
nanatod
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

On top of that, its like the 4th compilation to concentrate on just the 70-78 period. None of the Sabbath compilations have Heaven And Hell, Mob Rules, Zero the Hero and Neon Knights, some of their best songs, but all post-Ozzy, so Sharon don't acknowledge they exist.

The only time I ever saw Sabbath live was in St. Loser in 1983, with Ian Gillan on vocals, and Nightranger opening. The crowd still ate it up, though, although I wasn't very impressed at the time. Saw Ozzy solo at Ozzfest '97, but had to leave before Sab reunion.
16th March 2006 11:30 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
nanatod wrote:

The only time I ever saw Sabbath live was in St. Loser in 1983, with Ian Gillan on vocals, and Nightranger opening. The crowd still ate it up, though, although I wasn't very impressed at the time. Saw Ozzy solo at Ozzfest '97, but had to leave before Sab reunion.

The album they would have been supporting at the time was Born Again, which is actually quite good, but the tour wasn't so hot. For one thing, Gillan refused to perform many Sabbath classics, and Bill Ward had to sit out the tour due to ill health, so they had the drummer from ELO of all bands fill in!! I still find it funny that Sharon and the record companies only acknowledge the ozzy era as seen by this new greatest hits they just put out, which is just a retread of the other 3.
16th March 2006 12:16 PM
jb Humiliating..........as I predicted, barely at gold(503k)..and never will hit 1 mil domestically(at least in my lifetime).
16th March 2006 12:29 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:
Humiliating..........as I predicted, barely at gold(503k)..and never will hit 1 mil domestically(at least in my lifetime).

What should we do now?
16th March 2006 12:31 PM
glencar Hari Kari???
16th March 2006 12:31 PM
jb
quote:
pdog wrote:

What should we do now?

Cancel the Amsterdam Summitt!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy more copies of ABB for $7.99!!!!!!!
16th March 2006 12:32 PM
glencar Amsterdam is a no-go for me. I can only do so much in the summer...
16th March 2006 12:35 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
jb wrote:

Cancel the Amsterdam Summitt!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy more copies of ABB for $7.99!!!!!!!

I'll buy another one, as I've yet to buy the DVD version of ABB, but thats probably not the one they have for $7.99 I imagine.
16th March 2006 12:36 PM
pdog I've cancelled Amsterdam...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)