ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

19th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, NYC March 15, 2004
© Tina Fineberg / AP
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith tips possible fall tour in LA Times Return to archive Page: 1 2
03-03-04 11:29 AM
sandrew Posted over at Shidoobee ...

This piracy is rooted in rock 'n' roll
Aye, matey. A win for Depp would also be a nod to rebel Richards, at least in spirit.

By Bob Baker, LA Times Staff Writer

If Johnny Depp wins the best actor Academy Award tonight for his eccentric role in "Pirates of the Caribbean," Rolling Stone Keith Richards will have plowed an improbable furrow in filmdom. Rarely has a pop-culture icon been so nakedly channeled to create a successful film role. The closest comparison may be the way Tony Curtis' character appropriated Cary Grant's voice to impress Marilyn Monroe in Billy Wilder's "Some Like It Hot."

Richards, known for posting a skull-and-crossbones sign over his dressing room door during world tours, has this response to the way Depp's been telling the world he based his roguish, off-kilter Captain Jack Sparrow on Richards' wasted-life, road-weary persona.

"I don't play a pirate," Richards laughs over the telephone from a vacation home. "I am one!"

Richards, two months past his 60th birthday and still rocking, has been around long enough to have the last laugh on just about everybody. (There's an old rock-fan joke that the only thing left standing after World War III will be cockroaches and Richards.) But Depp's acceptance speech could be yet another giggle in the guitarist's future.

"I thought it was great," said Richards, who said Depp gave him the pirate's coat and scarf he wore in the movie. "I could laugh at myself. It was like a pirate movie….To me it was interesting they could carry the thing all the way through."

Depp's Sparrow possessed many of the quirks that have made Richards a worshiped figure among older rock fans: a certain emaciated, tipsy, slurred-speech presence; a certain feminine grace (Sparrow wears Richards' trademark headband and black eyeliner), counterbalanced by a swaggering smile and an unflagging ability to deliver the goods onstage. Sparrow calls someone "love," one critic wrote, at exactly the moment Richards would call him "cat."

Depp, 40, grew up idolizing Richards. He first came to Hollywood as the lead guitarist in an aspiring rock band and, once he morphed into a successful actor, bought half-interest in the Viper Room on Sunset Boulevard. He maintains a collection of guitars that Richards praises for their elegance.

As Depp promoted the film last summer, he routinely gushed like any fan. "I sort of thought that pirates would be the rock 'n' roll stars of the 18th century," he said in a July interview. "And when you think of rock 'n' roll stars, the greatest rock 'n' roll star of all time, the coolest rock 'n' roll star of all time in my opinion, is Keith Richards, hands down."

Depp took pains to tell interviewers that his performance was not an imitation of Richards, but a "salute … a tribute" to him.

Richards said he and Depp met at some sort of function that Richards no longer recalls, except that they enjoyed each other's company. "We don't get to see each other a lot but we hang a lot when we do.

"He informed me of what he was doing. He told me, 'I sort of hung [Sparrow's character] on you.' I said, 'That's why you're buying all the dinners.' "

Richards said Depp caught the Stones on the road several times before shooting began, but never discussed the methods he was using to capture Richards. "He didn't say anything until he was doing the PR thing."

Stones singer Mick Jagger, 60, who has known Richards since the pair were 10, hasn't weighed in, but the band is gathering in France next week to discuss a possible fall tour, "and I'll probably get a snide comment," Richards said.

In watching "Pirates of the Caribbean," casual rock fans will miss many of the subtleties of Depp's performance because Richards, and his mannerisms, have so often been eclipsed by Stones frontman Jagger. (Solution: Rent director Taylor Hackford's "Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll," his 1987 documentary about Chuck Berry in which Richards is captured producing a concert tribute.)

Some rock experts have contended Depp was capturing the younger Keith as Sparrow instead of the contemporary Keith. Richards will have none of it.

"Old Keith or youth Keith, I ain't that much different," he says with a laugh.
03-03-04 11:30 AM
jb My sources say it looks good...
03-03-04 11:47 AM
sandrew They'd better put out an album, and it better be good. If I were Keith now, I'd try the "Dirty Work" formula again: Write and record all the songs, and just bring in Jagger to sing.

He hated it then, but it'd be a blessing now.
03-03-04 11:56 AM
HardKnoxDurtySox since aerosmith is doing the blues album, i think the stones should do an all jazz cover album with charlie and bernard on vocals and jagger on lead guitar
03-03-04 12:03 PM
Joey

My sources say it looks very good .
03-03-04 12:07 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

My sources say it looks very good .

What happened to SS and SDH? They both post very infrequently...Have they been seen in the same room together?
03-03-04 12:24 PM
Joey " What happened to SS and SDH? They both post very infrequently...Have they been seen in the same room together? "

Difficult to say my fellow Goysky ......................

I keep wondering WHEN Stoney and Baby Steelie will " Make the Peace " but so far it remains a pipe dream .

...............and where is Cardinal Fang these days ?!?! I think he is pissed at me for some reason . Never fear though , Cardy is a " WHO2 " fan like you and me !

For Baby : " Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Stuttering Joe !

03-03-04 12:27 PM
jb Cardinal Fang has always been o.k. with me...he does not particularly like off-topic posting and is quite serious. However, his intentions are good....I believe he plays various instruments.
03-03-04 12:30 PM
Factory Girl The Stones should do a traditional, not a transitional, Stones album.
03-03-04 12:32 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
sandrew wrote:
If I were Keith now, I'd try the "Dirty Work" formula again: Write and record all the songs, and just bring in Jagger to sing.

He hated it then, but it'd be a blessing now.

Nah. At this date, it would be a bore. Say what you want about Mick's need to stay in tune with current trends, it proved effective in attracting new fans to the Stones music. (Yes, there are people who discovered the band with Anybody Seen My Baby and became serious fans!) And I'm sure many of us like the eclectic approach: to have in the same album not only blues/rock tracks but also a bit of everything, from reggae to latin rythms, even dance grooves or electronic sounds, just for fun. They showed it with the album Some Girls, and more recently with Bridges To Babylon, the Stones can take the "flavor of the month" music, tweak it around and make Stones songs out of it. No mean achievement!
03-03-04 12:34 PM
Joey " he does not particularly like off-topic posting and is quite serious. However, his intentions are good....I believe he plays various instruments. "

Yes , he has good heart and is a good man -- but very serious ( see SS )

Goysky !
03-03-04 12:50 PM
Martha jb, who is your source? And....what's wrong with your back? Come to Martha....gently,..... I understand as I have an extruded L-4-L-5.

A FALL Tour.....HELL YES! Why can't the Stones do a never ending tour like Bob does? Get those ticket prices down so I can go to all the shows like Stonesdoug! Tour Tour TOUR!

Joey, could you please leave me something in my underware drawer tonight? I'm out. :-)

xxxxxooooo,
Martha (the former Mrs.Mellencamp)
03-03-04 01:03 PM
jb [quote]Martha wrote:
jb, who is your source? And....what's wrong with your back? Come to Martha....gently,..... I understand as I have an extruded L-4-L-5.

A FALL Tour.....HELL YES! Why can't the Stones do a never ending tour like Bob does? Get those ticket prices down so I can go to all the shows like Stonesdoug! Tour Tour TOUR!

Joey, could you please leave me something in my underware drawer tonight? I'm out. :-)

xxxxxooooo,
Martha (the former Mrs.Mellencamp)
[/quote

I sent you a PM....thanks
03-03-04 01:08 PM
Nellie Fox
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

Nah. At this date, it would be a bore. Say what you want about Mick's need to stay in tune with current trends, it proved effective in attracting new fans to the Stones music. (Yes, there are people who discovered the band with Anybody Seen My Baby and became serious fans!) And I'm sure many of us like the eclectic approach: to have in the same album not only blues/rock tracks but also a bit of everything, from reggae to latin rythms, even dance grooves or electronic sounds, just for fun. They showed it with the album Some Girls, and more recently with Bridges To Babylon, the Stones can take the "flavor of the month" music, tweak it around and make Stones songs out of it. No mean achievement!

Why do they need new fans?

Alejandro did a great cover of a solo Mick tune, I'm sure that didn't bring new fans in.

03-03-04 02:06 PM
sandrew Mick's out of ideas, nothing left to say, kaput.
03-03-04 02:34 PM
Joey " Mick's out of ideas, nothing left to say, kaput. "

STONES IS STONES !!!!!! - BIGGER THAN ALL OF US !

03-03-04 02:50 PM
tramp It's been so long I kinda wonder if they still have it in them to come up with a good album again like in the old day's? They certainly can't put out the hit's like they did at one time, and looking at it that way you have to come to the conclusion they really have slipped a long way's. As great as the Stones have been in the past I doubt they've got a really good album left in them and I think we've heard the last of their number one hit's as well unfortunately? Don't hold it against them however seeing all the thrill's and listening pleasure they've given us already? What more can one expect from any group of people? The Rolling Stones are ad were the greatest rock band ever and if this isn't enough what the hell is?
03-03-04 02:51 PM
jb
quote:
tramp wrote:
It's been so long I kinda wonder if they still have it in them to come up with a good album again like in the old day's? They certainly can't put out the hit's like they did at one time, and looking at it that way you have to come to the conclusion they really have slipped a long way's. As great as the Stones have been in the past I doubt they've got a really good album left in them and I think we've heard the last of their number one hit's as well unfortunately? Don't hold it against them however seeing all the thrill's and listening pleasure they've given us already? What more can one expect from any group of people? The Rolling Stones are ad were the greatest rock band ever and if this isn't enough what the hell is?

We can expect many things in life which don't happen.
03-03-04 02:53 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:

We can expect many things in life which don't happen.

We can't Expect to NEVER cry .

Just stay on that line !!!!!!!

Rock and Roll will NEVER die .

" No Crisis Ronnie ! "

Shecky !
03-03-04 03:05 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

We can't Expect to NEVER cry .

Just stay on that line !!!!!!!

Rock and Roll will NEVER die .

" No Crisis Ronnie ! "

Shecky !

We casn expect healthy bowel movements every day yet sometimes we have little balls and narrow stools.

03-03-04 03:19 PM
nankerphelge Did jb just say he has little balls?
03-03-04 03:24 PM
Joey " We casn expect healthy bowel movements every day yet sometimes we have little balls and narrow stools. "

Me Bowels are Certainly a-churning today :

W- W- W- What ?!?!?! Oh , sure :

You can always get higher
Just because you aspire
You could expire even knowing.
Don't push the hands
Just hang on to the band
You can dance while your knowledge is growing

(It could happen anytime)
You can't expect to never cry
(Patience is priceless)
Not when you try to fly so high
(Just stay on that line)
Rock and roll will never die
(This is no social crisis)

Another tricky day
Another gently nagging pain
What the papers say
Just seems to bring down heavier rain
The world seems in a spiral
Life seems such a worthless title
But break out and start a fire y'all
It's all here on the vinyl
(No crisis)

(Just gotta get used to it)
Gotta get used to waiting
You know how the ice is
It's thin where you're skating
(This is no social crisis)

Just another tricky day for you fellah !

03-03-04 03:49 PM
Ben Gurion
quote:
jb wrote:

What happened to SS and SDH? They both post very infrequently...Have they been seen in the same room together?

Yes. Often. They play alpha pirate meets cabin boy. I have video.
03-03-04 03:52 PM
Joey " Yes. Often. They play alpha pirate meets cabin boy. I have video. "

Speaking of " Anal Tag " .......................

Lamby , I have absolutely been itching to grab that helpless , little , piece - of - sh## Avatar of yours and ram it up my Ass whilst twirling it around a dozen or two times as I " Un-Cake " the inner recesses of me colon .

Come , Won't you ?!?! .....and U- U- U- U- Uncake your Joeykins !

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Jacky Cakes !
03-03-04 04:06 PM
Ben Gurion I am dizzy. The set up here seems different. Bigger tabs. Strange strange.

Joey - I don't want to even KNOW what's going on up that cellulite encrusted arse of yours. I've been busy helping Jerry Hall, it's been harrowing I tell you.... I'll call you in a week or so...

03-03-04 04:10 PM
Joey " Joey - I don't want to even KNOW what's going on up that cellulite encrusted arse of yours. I've been busy helping Jerry Hall, it's been harrowing I tell you.... I'll call you in a week or so... "

WTF ?!?!?!

Come NOW !!! ...............and D- D- D- D- Decake your Joeykins
03-03-04 04:12 PM
Ben Gurion If you don't mind co mingling...
03-03-04 04:14 PM
jb
quote:
Ben Gurion wrote:
If you don't mind co mingling...

Without Ben Gurion, no Jewish state....he is a hero to all zionists like me...
03-03-04 04:16 PM
Joey " If you don't mind co mingling... "

03-03-04 04:29 PM
Ben Gurion Jerry Hall is a female. At least I assumed she was. But come to think of it...there was this flap of skin that seemed rather disturbing...

All I know is - she is a die hard Zionist. Zion Illinois. A beautiful town. The smell of factory sulfur and rotting meat. Mmmmmm....
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH