ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Give me two Keef!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bill Wyman Hits Out at Mick Jagger Return to archive Page: 1 2
4th March 2006 07:38 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Bill Wyman Hits Out at Mick Jagger
For not giving him credit for Rolling Stones’ hits…

gigwise.com
by Davina Earl on 3/4/2006

Former Rolling Stones’ bassist, Bill Wyman, has lashed out at ex-bandmates, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards for failing to credit him for his contribution to the band’s hits.

Wyman, who left the Stones in 1993 says: “there were songs I did deserve credit for. The big one was Jumpin’ Jack Flash.”

"These days Mick and Keith will say I had nothing to do with its writing, but I've got Keith on film in the seventies saying Jumpin' Jack Flash was Bill's song.”

He continues on femalefirst: "There are dozens of songs I made better. On Paint It Black there was something missing. I wasn't an organ player, so I laid down on the floor and hammered the pedals with my fists.”

"That sound carries the whole song. But my contributions were never credited."

In other news, the band have refused to attend the premiere of a ballet based on their lives and careers, despite making a fortune from its proceeds.
4th March 2006 08:34 AM
Navin Now I wish I could give Brother Bill his great thrill
I would set him in chains at the top of the hill
Then send out for some pillars and Cecil B. DeMille
He could die happily ever after
4th March 2006 08:41 AM
lotsajizz Bill's a mimbo

4th March 2006 08:51 AM
Nellcote Insert spoiled baby crying track here.
It's really sad to hear him talk like this.
Like I said in the earlier thread, he's hit
the floor for dough, nevermind the pedals in PIB.
Let the Stones give him a job putting the archives to work, with a dvd/cd release.
Bill, just answer me this, why did you have
a Mick Taylor moment, and leave the band?
4th March 2006 08:59 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Navin wrote:
Now I wish I could give Brother Bill his great thrill
I would set him in chains at the top of the hill
Then send out for some pillars and Cecil B. DeMille
He could die happily ever after

Now THAT'S postin'!! I love Tombstone Blues.

I am so freaking sick of Bill's whining. Since he hasn't managed to write ONE decent song his entire career, it's kinda hard to believe he wrote Jumpin' Jack Flash. Bashing out riffs is not the same thing as writing songs - and hell, he hasn't even come up with another riff since then! Perhaps he should re-read what the court told Ry Cooder when he tried to claim authorship of Honky Tonk Women.

Bill is a spud.
4th March 2006 12:05 PM
Soldatti Same song, old story...
4th March 2006 02:54 PM
glencar This is no way to end your life...
4th March 2006 05:18 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox I dunno. If the story about him coming up with the chord structure to Jumpin' Jack Flash on the organ whilst jamming with Charlie and Brian is true, then I'd be pretty upset myself. Yah there is money involved but it's also about getting credit on one of the greatest songs in the entire history of rock n roll. Of course I can do without hearing him whine about laying on the floor and hammering pedals with his fist but that's a different matter entirely...
4th March 2006 05:37 PM
lotsajizz how many other Bill-penned songs are out there that lend credence to his claim to having deserved a writing credit for JJF?
4th March 2006 05:46 PM
FPM C10 Monkey Grip!

I can't find an article about the court case involving Ry Cooder, but the judge ruled that even if Cooder came up with the basic riff that Keith played in Honky Tonk Women, that is not the same as writing the song, and he wasn't owed any more than he'd already been paid. I'm sure he would tell Bill the same thing. JJF's riff is just Satisfaction played sideways anyhow!

4th March 2006 06:25 PM
sirmoonie What a putz. To be fair, though, he is the best pedal fist hammerer in rock, bar none.
4th March 2006 06:33 PM
Gazza
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
>He continues on femalefirst:

EH? the whole interview is lifted from the one published the other day in UNCUT

In fairness to Bill, although hes said this stuff many times before, hes only responding to questions that an interviewer asks him.

If anyone reads the entire interview, its quite evident that its far from a case of him "hitting out" as this cut and paste job suggests
4th March 2006 08:52 PM
aftergloow Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your mouth,
Blowing down the backroads headin' south.
Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth,
You're an idiot, babe.
It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe.
4th March 2006 10:22 PM
corgi37 And this pedo wants to re-join for some U.K. gigs? Fat chance pal. He'd be lucky to score tickets.
4th March 2006 10:33 PM
kath i dunno. i guess all i can think of to say is "boo-fuckin'-hoo".

bill kept notes on everybody's "activities as well as his own", but he didn't bother to make sure he was getting any credit.

OOPS!

[Edited by kath]
5th March 2006 12:00 AM
Ramrod For starters, I think Bill has a right to his opinion as much as Mick and Keith have a right to theirs....

Secondly, we are not talking about just any old song. JJF is the Rolling Stones 2nd most important single, (the most important being Satisfaction) as it relaunched them in '68, rekindled public interest in their then new music and sold by the truckload.

JJF had it's words written by Mick and Keith and music adapted by Mick and Keith from the music Bill had already came up with... this constitutes a co-writing credit for Bill and it would be considered so in any other band. The song was then further shaped and evolved by the whole band with Jimmy Miller and Ian Stewart over various sessions and rehearsals until it finally found the form which was released.

It is fair to say that Bill could not have come up with JJF in its finished form on his own, but equally fair to say that without Bill's music and that killer riff which he wrote the song would never have existed in the first place. This is what co-writing means, a co-operative effort on a musical composition by 2 or more songwriters who may contribute to its various constituent parts to various degrees, be they to all or some of the words and/or music.

A case in point: If any body on this board were to have a half written song that I somehow got hold of, put words to and adapted a bit, and this same said song then went on to become no. 1 around the world, and in the meantime I then claimed sole authorship of this song, I guarantee they would feel justifiably angered, violated and ripped off and would be running to their lawyers at a rate of knots in a righteous fury.

Do I make my point clear?

5th March 2006 01:18 AM
glencar Crystal clear. But Wyman still whines.
5th March 2006 02:36 AM
exile Also Bill left out he shagged twice as many girls as the rest of the Band also.

Well he usually throws that one in too.
5th March 2006 06:08 AM
The Eggman Keith Richards should then fight for his likeiness on Bill Wyman's MONKEY GRIP album booket...

see the likeness?...OH BOY Keith's got some big money coming his way.
[Edited by The Eggman]
5th March 2006 06:25 AM
corgi37 Bill should have been in The Sweet with hair like that.
5th March 2006 08:32 AM
gypsy
quote:
kath wrote:
i dunno. i guess all i can think of to say is "boo-fuckin'-hoo".

bill kept notes on everybody's "activities as well as his own", but he didn't bother to make sure he was getting any credit.

OOPS!

[Edited by kath]

Damn straight, kath.
Maybe he could sell his collection of polaroids on ebay.
5th March 2006 11:26 AM
Gazza
quote:
exile wrote:
Also Bill left out he shagged twice as many girls as the rest of the Band also.

Well he usually throws that one in too.

LOL...actually, when you read the UNCUT interview he pretty much DOES refer to it....

but he says he remained friends with most of them, treated them all respectfully, etc etc...
[Edited by Gazza]
5th March 2006 02:14 PM
gimmekeef He sounds cranky...perhaps he was just turned down by a 13 yr old girl....Glitter this Bill....
5th March 2006 03:57 PM
Prodigal Son
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Bill should have been in The Sweet with hair like that.

Yeah, no kidding. "But she can't push Billy round, Billy won't go."
5th March 2006 04:16 PM
Joey

Hopefully Mick and Keith will one day sell the rights to their songs in order that they may be used to sell cars , soap , whatever on television ...this will enable all band members ( or their heirs / estates ) to reap the full benefits of being a part of the ' creative process ' of all those glorious songs ( See : Pete Townshend and the beneficiaries : Daltrey , Entwistle & Moon estates ) .

JACKY !!!!!!!
6th March 2006 01:43 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Bill Wyman Hits Out at Mick Jagger
For not giving him credit for Rolling Stones’ hits…

He's right.
6th March 2006 06:52 AM
Break The Spell One week he seems to show respect for the band and says he'd even rejoin for a brief tour of England, the next week he seems angry and lashes out at them for riping him off. I personally think Bill's a great bass player, but he just can't seem to make up his mind on his former band mates.
6th March 2006 08:05 AM
Maxlugar [quote]Ramrod wrote:
For starters, I think Bill has a right to his opinion as much as Mick and Keith have a right to theirs....

Secondly, we are not talking about just any old song. JJF is the Rolling Stones 2nd most important single, (the most important being Satisfaction) as it relaunched them in '68, rekindled public interest in their then new music and sold by the truckload.

JJF had it's words written by Mick and Keith and music adapted by Mick and Keith from the music Bill had already came up with... this constitutes a co-writing credit for Bill and it would be considered so in any other band. The song was then further shaped and evolved by the whole band with Jimmy Miller and Ian Stewart over various sessions and rehearsals until it finally found the form which was released.

It is fair to say that Bill could not have come up with JJF in its finished form on his own, but equally fair to say that without Bill's music and that killer riff which he wrote the song would never have existed in the first place. This is what co-writing means, a co-operative effort on a musical composition by 2 or more songwriters who may contribute to its various constituent parts to various degrees, be they to all or some of the words and/or music.

A case in point: If any body on this board were to have a half written song that I somehow got hold of, put words to and adapted a bit, and this same said song then went on to become no. 1 around the world, and in the meantime I then claimed sole authorship of this song, I guarantee they would feel justifiably angered, violated and ripped off and would be running to their lawyers at a rate of knots in a righteous fury.

Do I make my point clear?

Exactly.

I worship the Glimmer Twins as much as anyone around here but it amazes me that people still ignore the fact that this is a trend that goes throughout their career and they should expect a hit every now and then. They took important contributions from Brian, Bill, Ry Cooder, Mick Taylor and Billy Preston, to name a few, and very brattily refused to give credit. They seemed to recognize this early on with Ronnie when they would give credit every now and then. I guess they didn't want to loose another one.

Fact is these two are tyrannical when it comes to publishing and royalties. There's nothing wrong with someone like Bill pointing it out.
6th March 2006 10:09 AM
glencar The killer is that kd lang(noted lesbian artist!) got a songwriting credit for ASMB. And who's this "Ben Mink"?
6th March 2006 10:33 AM
nanatod "but the judge ruled that even if Cooder came up with the basic riff that Keith played in Honky Tonk Women, that is not the same as writing the song, and he wasn't owed any more than he'd already been paid."

Next thing you'll tell me is that Ry Cooder didn't write all of the songs on "Paradise and Lunch."
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)