ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mixing Little Queenie for Ya Ya's - January 1970
Stand Still from "Gimme Shelter"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Darkness? What's the deal with this new group? Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-28-04 01:11 AM
JumpinJackFlash How about the band "THOR". I seen one of their vidoes awhile back. "You got to kepp the dog's away, You got to keep the dog's at bay."
02-28-04 10:31 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Although a clich�' and one suspects a bit of a piss-take, I think they are fresh and original.<

How can they be fresh and original if they are a cliche and a piss-take? I can think of many things that are true of The Darkness...fresh and original they ain't. You can't be fresh and original if you are playing hair glam metal....it's been done by thousands of bands before them. In fact, I can't think of one thing about them that is original.

>As time has gone on, I've come to appreciate the Darkness not for the wittiness of their lyrics (they're banal, really) or for the sounds of their instruments (I hate that general sound, as well) or for Justin's voice (woof...), but because they're FUN.<

Ok, you don't like the lyrics or the voice singing them. You don't like the cheesey guitar sound, and 80's style production. You don't like the style of music that they play. Yet you say that it's fun? How is it fun if you don't like anything about them?

>People have already brought this up. The thing about these guys is to not take them TOO seriously.<

That won't be a problem for me. I don't take anything about them seriously.

>Like I said, I don't really like that brand of stadium rock at all, but I appreciate this band's attempt to play it because a lot of it is (I suspect) tongue-in-cheek. If you don't get it, fine. Maybe you just haven't been let in on the joke yet. Or maybe the joke's on you. I don't know. I think I'm gonna put on Permission to Land...<

OK, lemme see if I understand this....you don't like the kind of music they play, but you like this band for playing it in a humorous way?? So in essence...it has nothing to do with the music, it's all in the image and jokes? Is that how far rock and roll has fallen? Has the music become that disposable and meaningless? Do you realize that by supporting bands like The Darkness, you are saying that this is OK? Well, IMO, it's NOT OK.

Look, it was a riot when it was Spinal Tap. It was funny when it was Bad News. Now that this spoof is being done for a 3rd time...it's just become boring and lame. I get the joke. I understand it completely. I just don't think it's very funny. And yeah, I think the joke IS on you. They are gonna make a boatload of money on a tired, old, lame act. Good for them...but they ain't gonna get any of MY money.

02-28-04 10:38 PM
Child of the Moon >So in essence...it has nothing to do with the music, it's all in the image and jokes?<
In this case, maybe. No, it's not the way I usually work. I treat albums like this as comedy records, you know? Like buying a Cheech and Chong record. It's enternatinment, sure. It's not high art, of course, just entertainment. The point isn't that rock and roll has declined to image, etc. I don't consider these guys heavyweights at all. I do think they're funny, though. And they even have a catchy hook every now and then.

I often wonder, SS, if you have a sense of humor at all. I guess mine's just different from yours. Stop all the hate.
[Edited by Child of the Moon]
02-28-04 11:10 PM
Sir Stonesalot Actually, I am almost ALL sense of humor. Most everyone considers me to be one of the funniest people that they know. In fact, I've been encouraged to start a stand up act on more than one occassion.

But to make me laugh, the joke has to be funny. I don't laugh at the same old joke repeated for a 3rd time.

And as far as hate goes...I don't care enough about The Darkness to hate them. I could care less about them. IMO, that's worse than hate.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
02-28-04 11:16 PM
Blind Dog McGhee These guys are better.

http://www.thelastvegas.com/frames.html
02-29-04 02:38 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
>So in essence...it has nothing to do with the music, it's all in the image and jokes?<
In this case, maybe. No, it's not the way I usually work. I treat albums like this as comedy records, you know? Like buying a Cheech and Chong record. It's enternatinment, sure. It's not high art, of course, just entertainment. The point isn't that rock and roll has declined to image, etc. I don't consider these guys heavyweights at all. I do think they're funny, though. And they even have a catchy hook every now and then.

I often wonder, SS, if you have a sense of humor at all. I guess mine's just different from yours. Stop all the hate.
I thought they were halarious as well. I don't take them seriously, but then again they are not meant to be taken seriously all though they may really love what they do.
You can love what you do while at the same time not take yourself too seriously. I think this is the Darkness's case.
Ian

02-29-04 02:43 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Actually, I am almost ALL sense of humor. Most everyone considers me to be one of the funniest people that they know. In fact, I've been encouraged to start a stand up act on more than one occassion.

But to make me laugh, the joke has to be funny. I don't laugh at the same old joke repeated for a 3rd time.

And as far as hate goes...I don't care enough about The Darkness to hate them. I could care less about them. IMO, that's worse than hate.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]

I understand. You just see them as being silly and irrelevant. I enjoy them as a novelty act. I also understand that once the novelty wears off, The Darkness will be gone. I enjoy them because it makes me feel good when I listen to them like I am a kid all over again. I like the way they go against the grain in today's music. I respect that. I realize that they are certainly not original. How can a retro band that is retro as a gimmic possibly be original? But I still enjoy them.
Ian
Ian
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH