ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mixing Little Queenie for Ya Ya's - January 1970
Stand Still from "Gimme Shelter"
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Darkness? What's the deal with this new group? Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-23-04 03:38 AM
IanBillen -The Darkness-
I know this is a Stones site but I need some opinions to satisfy my curiousity until I make the purchase. And you all know music very well so.....
I hear from a few of my friends that this band called...... -The Darkness-, although purposely retro, have something.
I read an article on them at the book store but have yet to have heard them. They are definately purposeful in a retro 1976-84 way if you have seen them and what they look like.
I know they are big Queen fans. I hear their music is pretty retro also, yet, I hear they have something that The Strokes, Hives, and other retero bands don't. I hear they are kinda Queen-AC/DCish in their sound. I should go get their album this week. They are supposed to be worth your wild.
Anybody heard them? If so what do you think?
Ian
02-23-04 04:17 AM
Mathijs I think they are fantastic! I saw them 2 months ago, and it was the best show in years. Musically it's a cross between Queen, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Lynnyrd Skinnard and a bit GnR. All is done with a typical British tongue in cheeck flavour. All the suits, dresses an everything are over the top 70's styling, the falsetto's and guitar solo's are all deliberately over the top retro, but the thing is: they are excellent musicians and performers! Once you're open to the idea its all with a smile, the band's an excellent treat.

Mathijs
02-23-04 08:14 AM
FOURCHETTE I saw them in Hannover ( Germany) on 8th August before the Stones .I found them horrible . Sorry .
02-23-04 04:25 PM
mac_daddy apparently the lead singer has a helluva voice...

havent heard much, except their debut ep...

I know a few folks who have taped these guys, and they say their tapes sound good - I just haven't listened (yet)...

didn't these guys open a couple of Licks shows..?
02-23-04 04:34 PM
crb69 The band is decent. My opinion the singer is a joke. He has good range but his schtick is to carry notes real hi and shrill like Tiny Tim! Too funny for me to take seriously...in a nut shell they are not worth the hype. I think they suck. Maybe he's doing it to get attention and then they'll come out with some cool tunes...don't hold your breath.
02-23-04 04:39 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
didn't these guys open a couple of Licks shows..?

1. At the Wembley Arena. I saw them there. Didn't like it.
02-23-04 06:35 PM
Gazza yeah, they opened for the Stones at Wembley on september 15th. I was still in the bar down the road but people I spoke to seemed to think they were good.

I dunno. They seem to be good musicians ok but for me the jury's still out on whether the joke's on them because theyre so over the top and ludicrous or on the public for buying into their whole schtick. The truth is probably somewhere in between the two. They're silly and harmless, I guess.

But every time I see them I think "Spinal Tap". Theyve become very successful but Christ...its 2004, not 1974.
[Edited by Gazza]
02-23-04 06:46 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
But every time I see them I think "Spinal Tap". Theyve become very successful but Christ...its 2004, not 1974.
[Edited by Gazza]

ouch - not a ringing endorsement.
02-23-04 07:06 PM
Daethgod well i reckon The Darkness are the BEST band i have heard in a few years.
They freaking rock !
Check out Black Schuck, Givin Up, Get your Hands Ogff My Woman.. and the instrumental Bareback.
I saw their Big Day Out set on Ch V and they are the new kings of rock .. there is none higher .. (bar of course the Stones boys)

my fantasy gig of 2004 would be a 4 hr bill with a 2hr set from The Darkness followed by a 2hr set from Kid Rock and the Trucker Band.

anyone heard whether Kid Rock or The Darkness will tour Oz ?

see and hear The Darkness here : http://www.thedarknessrock.com/video/

02-23-04 07:26 PM
Gazza I think also my biggest worry about them becoming popular worldwide is that Justin Hawkins confirms all American stereotypes about British teeth.
02-23-04 07:27 PM
Soul Survivor Justin has some bad pearly whites
02-23-04 10:26 PM
polksalad69 Saw II of their vids. How can you take that shit seriously? I dunno, read their interview in Guitar Player, if it's not a put on, well...
02-23-04 10:28 PM
glencar The Darkness sounds like a must-to-avoid.
02-23-04 10:30 PM
polksalad69
quote:
glencar wrote:
The Darkness sounds like a must-to-avoid.

Not a bad id-er.
02-23-04 10:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well if you liked crappy glam/hair metal, I guess The Darkness are great!

I understand the concept of parody. But didn't Spinal Tap already do this??? And didn't Bad News already do this???

I've spent many many years trying to blot this kind of "music" out of my memory banks...and now here come these wankers to try and bring it all back.

And what if it isn't a joke? I know that is a remote possibility...but what if these guys are serious?

These guys are awful. I will admit that the video is funny...but the song is a hack piece of shit. And Justin doesn't sing so much as he shrieks...fuckin' gawdawful.
02-23-04 10:45 PM
polksalad69
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Well if you liked crappy glam/hair metal, I guess The Darkness are great!

I understand the concept of parody. But didn't Spinal Tap already do this??? And didn't Bad News already do this???

I've spent many many years trying to blot this kind of "music" out of my memory banks...and now here come these wankers to try and bring it all back.

And what if it isn't a joke? I know that is a remote possibility...but what if these guys are serious?

These guys are awful. I will admit that the video is funny...but the song is a hack piece of shit. And Justin doesn't sing so much as he shrieks...fuckin' gawdawful.

which video? I saw II over the weekend.
02-23-04 11:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot I forget the name of the song...but they were on a spaceship, and there were cheesey lightning bolts flying around, and a stupid fake monster thingy that they were fighting.

I really don't get these guys...mostly because I fucking hate the kind of soul-less hack crap that they are doing the parody of. I don't like the shitty 80's guitar and drum sound, I hate the guys voice...and I have an intense hatred of that genre of "music". And if it is a parody...it's already been done....at least twice. And better.

I'll give 'em this though...they are gonna make a boatload of money.
02-24-04 12:09 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I forget the name of the song...but they were on a spaceship, and there were cheesey lightning bolts flying around, and a stupid fake monster thingy that they were fighting.

I really don't get these guys...mostly because I fucking hate the kind of soul-less hack crap that they are doing the parody of. I don't like the shitty 80's guitar and drum sound, I hate the guys voice...and I have an intense hatred of that genre of "music". And if it is a parody...it's already been done....at least twice. And better.

I'll give 'em this though...they are gonna make a boatload of money.

I cannot disagree w/anything you've said. I see they have a sold out gig in town coming up. It's at a smaller club so they haven't taken over the US as they say they will, at least not yet.
02-24-04 12:51 AM
IanBillen
Thank you for all the info people. I am going to have to check them out for myself. I appreciate all your scoop
and opinions. I am going to go ahead and buy their album and give it a very fair, unprejudice listen.
Ian
02-24-04 01:59 AM
tumblingdice01 I saw the Darkness at Wembley 15 Sept. Even considering how badly backup bands always sound, I thought it was horrible. They sounded like a Led Zep imitation but the singer was on helium most of the time.

Avoid this one! It's all hype.
02-24-04 03:15 AM
FotiniD I love the Darkness and I don't care how retro, serious or non-serious they are I just love them the way they are. As I said in another post, they're the first guys I've heard in a while who really know how to play a damn good guitar and use it in the way a guitar's meant to be used - unlike all those "cover-all-other-sounds-xcept-my-very-loud-guitar" bands that seem to be around lately.

I don't think they're shallow or a plain parody act though... It seems they really like what they do - and at last, a live act you can go crazy for Come on, I've had one too many depressive nagging guys crying about their miserable lives on the microphone. It was about time someone came out happier to be on stage and doing what they're doing!

Their sense of humor is great - anyone receiving their newsletter knows that And yes, they do have some very good tunes and some rather great musical influences. I'm just waiting around to see how they're gonna do in their next album...
02-24-04 08:27 AM
exile I actually just bought the album last saturday and have had it playing all week

its a fun album

I dont think anyone should take it too seriously they are a fun group

Just enjoy the music! I did

02-24-04 09:36 AM
Lil Brian Exile-
well said.
it's for fun.
02-25-04 12:13 PM
mickmask For about a month now I have been listening to one song in particular that my husband likes to play over and over and I'm still not sure what it's called or what the hell they're saying... (thing called love????). At first I hated it, albeit appreciated the instrumentals, then tolerated it and began to like the guitar, now I think they (and their concept) is beginning to grow on me... even the operatic solos, but I'd like to hear them in smaller doses. I think if this guy quit bandstanding and concentrated on lyrics more they could be spectacular. I know it's his gimmick, but if he doesn't tone it down a bit they're gonna fizzle quick.
02-25-04 03:22 PM
Child of the Moon All right, time for my two cents. When I first saw the video for "I Believe in a Thing Called Love," I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Yes, it was funny, and I understood the humor in looking back to 1976 or so. And the video is funny, you have to admit.

As time has gone on, I've come to appreciate the Darkness not for the wittiness of their lyrics (they're banal, really) or for the sounds of their instruments (I hate that general sound, as well) or for Justin's voice (woof...), but because they're FUN. People have already brought this up. The thing about these guys is to not take them TOO seriously. Like I said, I don't really like that brand of stadium rock at all, but I appreciate this band's attempt to play it because a lot of it is (I suspect) tongue-in-cheek. If you don't get it, fine. Maybe you just haven't been let in on the joke yet. Or maybe the joke's on you. I don't know. I think I'm gonna put on Permission to Land...
02-25-04 03:34 PM
Honky Tonk Man I don't mind the Darkness at all. Although a clich�' and one suspects a bit of a piss-take, I think they are fresh and original. I will take them any day over a band like Jet. They're causing an absolute storm over here in the UK and deservedly so. Saying all that though, I don't actually own their album!

Is it true that they had to change some of their lyrics in order for Permission To Land to get a US release?

GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY WOMAN, MOTHER FUCKER!

Alex
02-26-04 12:12 AM
IanBillen
We'll today I purchased: The Darkness:Permission to Land

Two words-Fuckin haliarious!

I kept laughing the whole album throughout. These guys are funny. Their lyrics are totaly 80's. The singers voice just cracks you up. Their style consists of AC/DC, and touches of Queen, and slaughter all wrapped up in an early 80's style of hard rock.
It is a fun time. They are not meant to be taken seriously although they seem to mean it. It rocks and it is a breath of fresh air from what has been put out over the last decade. No depressing "My Mom beat me"-"Nobody understands my pain" theme which is so dominant in todays market. For the first time in years I listened to an album today that made me feel good. Like I said it is a nice throw back and a breath of fresh air. Good guitar and vocals in the works. Each song is met with enthusiasm as opposed to the depressing, supposeably deep, style that almost every hard rock group today goes for. There are bands better than this out there. They aren't totally fantastic and there is nothing original about The Darkness however, they are really funny and are a good time. I won't bitch.
Ian
02-26-04 12:23 AM
M.O.W.A.T. On a related topic:

I hear that Hanoi Rocks is reforming and are planning a new album and tour.

Never saw the appeal of HR, have one of their albums and I couldn't really get into it.
02-27-04 06:26 PM
Mr. D You see, thats the problem with 'The Darkness'. Many hear them and laugh, when they are meant to be taken seriosuly. They're not a good band at all, theyre basically a rehash of shitty hair metal. And whoever made the comparison to Spinal Tap is dead on. But remember, Spinal Tap was meant to be laughed at, it's as if we are laughing with them. With The Darkness, it's as if we are laughing at them. And they deserve it for the horrible music they expose the public to.
02-27-04 09:07 PM
exile I think it supposed to be taken with a pinch of salt

just enjoy the music

If you want to hear a hilarious piss take of a heavy meatal band go to wimmx and download

"Fire in the Sky" by the Thunderlords

Its great it was used exclusively in a TV-commercial for KiMs potatochips in Norway
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH