ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Idaho Center, Boise, Idaho - 14th November 2006
© Idaho Statesman with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Black Crowes Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
20th February 2008 01:14 AM
Make It Funky Fair enough.. I mean, I loved Chuck Berry & Little Richard until my mid teens and people kept telling me I should check out the Stones.. I was so into Chuck.. and I am so glad I got over Chuck, and got into the Stones and british rock in general. However, if you're stuck on a band, then, you become stagnate and about as dormant as the Stones themselves.

Sure, this is a pretty good site, quite informative, but alot of bullshit threads.. I think about the only interesting ones are the ones that Saint Sway posts! haha

But as a musicoligist afficiando (er, snob as you refer to it as), I cant help it. Ive invested my whole life engaging in proper music. And anyone who knows me, knows I'd never subject them to even half-assed mediocre music. (frankly, I'd be embarrassed if I ever did!!)

I guess all Im saying is, The Black Crowes are the only qualified band to get passed the torch from the Stones, and their careers are so paralleled in so many ways.. their sound is paralleled.. The Black Crowes members (Robinson Bros), KNOW their shit man. They've done their homework! They know the originals, the makers, the emancipators!

YOu dont have to be stoned to enjoy a live Crowes experience, but I was merely suggesting it as an alternative option - cos if you ain't "gettin it", then many you need to get over yourself, before you can get into it, to get out of it. I can enjoy any concert sober. Front row at a Stones club show is quite a sobering yet intoxicating experience in one.

You may not like music snobs, but I dont like ignorant people. It just grinds my gears. I like honesty in people. Not just between them, but in and of them. Be real man. The Stones 21st Century are a complete humiliation! Brian Jones would be laughing hysterically. I never hear of anyone raving about the Paris 2006 show like Brussells '73. I never hear people go on and on about the Ames, Iowa 1989 show like Perth Western Fair Grounds '73.
Do you understand?

Sure, its great that the Legendary Icons of Folkloric Rock and Roll Mythological DemiGods the Rolling Stones are still "around", but... pleeeeease. Gimme a break. Their hearts arent into it anywhere near as convictive as the Black Crowes are in live performances. There will never be another band with as much marketing ingenuity as the Stones idolatry / imagery Corporation Ltd. But their music is secondary to their image. Is this what YOU are buying into?

its all about the music man. The Music.

Cheers
Ian
20th February 2008 02:31 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Sure, this is a pretty good site, quite informative, but alot of bullshit threads.. I think about the only interesting ones are the ones that Saint Sway posts! haha

Nigga Pleaze.

Photobucket

My posts are silky smooth..
20th February 2008 11:20 AM
Dan Great White does better Ian Hunter covers.
20th February 2008 12:23 PM
nanatod
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
I guess all Im saying is, The Black Crowes are the only qualified band to get passed the torch from the Stones

The only?

Here's just a smattering of bands off the top of my head that I think have helped passed the Stones torch along and / or are still passing the torch:

Mountain
King's X
Queensryche
anything involving Ritchie Blackmore playing guitar
Guns n' Roses
Deadstring Brothers
Husker Du
Soul Asylum
Brother Cane
Sepultura
Everclear before Art kicked out the rest of the band
Queens of the Stone Age
Dinosaur Jr.
Patti Smith Band
The Cramps
Skid Row before they kicked out Sebastian
Whitesnake around the time of Slow and Easy
Def Leppard up until about the 4th LP
UFO with or without Michael Schenker
Thin Lizzy

and, the Black Crowes up until the 3rd LP.

20th February 2008 12:32 PM
Dan
quote:
nanatod wrote:

The only?

Here's just a smattering of bands off the top of my head that I think have helped passed the Stones torch along and / or are still passing the torch:

Most of the bands you listed don't sound like bad cover bands. And you forgot Great White.
20th February 2008 12:35 PM
Zack
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
I never hear people go on and on about the Ames, Iowa 1989 show like Perth Western Fair Grounds '73.
Do you understand?

Hey, that Ames show rocked.
20th February 2008 07:05 PM
Make It Funky Nanatod: apart from Nantucket Sleighride from Mountain, and a couple "Lizzy" tracks.. all of those hideous bands you mentioned dont even amount to my saliva spat on the sidewalk. They are complete RUBBISH!! But as i suggested, the Kings of Leon "get it" but their newer stuff is waning into the category you have. I dont want to hear music thats ok. I dont even want good music. I want perfect music that makes you cream your jeans. Something like Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Alvin Lee, Jr. Walker, King Curtis, The Thrills, Ray Charles.. ok, Wilco was pretty good.. the Jayhawks alright, Ryan Adams, as were FreeWheelers and the Mother Hips. They "get it" too. But.. c'mon.. 99.9% of the music out today is disgusting and heinous. (ie: "Anybody Seen My Baby?")

Dont feed me tv dinners, when you know Im used to steak. I prefer to learn more, and have well-knowledged people make a suggestion to me, "Hey man, check these guys out..." but.. Ive already reached the mecca of music knowledge. its pretentious, but satisfying. Its great knowing what you like. I want people to have the balls to suggest some good music to me - but, people have lack-lustre tastes these days, and they also cant handle having people suggest sweet sweet music to them.

Might I suggest getting into the Beatles? The Band? The Allman Brothers? Sly & the Family Stone. Get back to me in a few weeks, and let me know how it works out for you.

Cheers!
20th February 2008 10:41 PM
sammy davis jr. Make It Funky:
No one on this board truly believes the Stones are a viable creative force anymore- they're just here to celebrate the band and all things Stones. Yes they are the marketing guru's of rock music. No it's not about the music anymore. If you read any of the posts from the last tours, many of them were negative regarding the performances. No one's pretending they are anything but a moneymaking corporation. But don't belittle people who like the band, and then claim they have no taste in music. To compare the Black Crowes in any way to the Rolling Stones is just wrong. I'd be interested to see how the Robinson brothers sound when they're 65 years old. Hell, the Black Crowes can barely stay together more than 5 years at a stretch, and if there's a band who underachieved more in the past ten years, I don't know who it is. (Jimmy Page's backup band?) As a live act they're marginal, bordering on morose. Rich Robinson makes Mick Taylor look like Screaming Jay Hawkins.
20th February 2008 10:47 PM
sammy davis jr. I forgot to point out that The Black Crowes are fully responsible for making every bad white rock band think they can play Hard To Handle.
21st February 2008 12:04 AM
Make It Funky SDJr: well thanks for the clarification and perspective. I appreciate your honesty and validation of what the Stones are. I don't want the Stones to tour anymore, and I wish that they'd fuck off and live happily ever after in their chateaux and island retreats. Their past music is incredible. I feel that people become musically dormant and its because I care so much, that I sound so abrasive. I just love proper music. And the Stones are the centre piece of that propriety.

Cheers dude.
21st February 2008 01:31 AM
Dan
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Nanatod: apart from Nantucket Sleighride from Mountain, and a couple "Lizzy" tracks.. all of those hideous bands you mentioned dont even amount to my saliva spat on the sidewalk. They are complete RUBBISH!!

A lot of great songs that weren't cover songs.

quote:

But as i suggested, the Kings of Leon "get it" but their newer stuff is waning into the category you have. I dont want to hear music thats ok. I dont even want good music. I want perfect music that makes you cream your jeans. Something like Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Alvin Lee, Jr. Walker, King Curtis, The Thrills, Ray Charles.. ok, Wilco was pretty good.. the Jayhawks alright, Ryan Adams, as were FreeWheelers and the Mother Hips. They "get it" too.

The Thrills...? Not only in the same sentence as, but preceding Ray Charles? Pick better obscure bands when you are trying to impress the rest of us with how "knowledgeable" you think you are.

quote:

But.. c'mon.. 99.9% of the music out today is disgusting and heinous. (ie: "Anybody Seen My Baby?")

Jeez pick a chart from a year, any year, and compare to a recent chart and see if it's really all that better. Someone here (or maybve Shidoobee) posted a chart from 1971 that basically validated my position that the music today is no worse than any other "golden era" anyone would wish to cite.

quote:

Dont feed me tv dinners, when you know Im used to steak. I prefer to learn more, and have well-knowledged people make a suggestion to me, "Hey man, check these guys out..." but.. Ive already reached the mecca of music knowledge.

I call bullshit

quote:

its pretentious, but satisfying. Its great knowing what you like. I want people to have the balls to suggest some good music to me - but, people have lack-lustre tastes these days, and they also cant handle having people suggest sweet sweet music to them.

A cover band that peaked over 15 years isn't really all that sweet to me.

quote:

Might I suggest getting into the Beatles? The Band? The Allman Brothers? Sly & the Family Stone. Get back to me in a few weeks, and let me know how it works out for you.

How about test a new gimmick on a different board and get back to us in a few weeks and let us know how it worked out for you.
[Edited by Dan]
21st February 2008 03:00 AM
mrhipfl
21st February 2008 10:34 AM
Black Crow I appear to have started some kind of musical war! Cheers for the Walmart tip off wisertime, whilst it doesn't sound as good as some of the earlier stuff it's gotta be better than 99% of the stuff that currently passes through the musical atmosphere. I really really don't care about The Arctic pissing Monkeys and I never will.

I'm a little bit worried about the "My god, they're boring live" comments as I've just got my ticket for their Brixton show and I'd rather not spend 40 quid to stand around wonder what to do on the train ride home.

[Edited by Black Crow]
21st February 2008 11:45 AM
nanatod
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Nanatod: apart from Nantucket Sleighride from Mountain, and a couple "Lizzy" tracks.. all of those hideous bands you mentioned dont even amount to my saliva spat on the sidewalk.

Cheers!

Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner but I only check this board once in the morning, if that.

As someone who is 40 something, I am more than familiar with every f'in band you mentioned.

To my ears, Ryan Adams, the Mother Hips, and, especially, the Beatles, are all the epitomy of suckage. The Band? Other than the covers of Jericho and Blind Willie McTell, the Band died a long time ago. Shit, I saw them in '83 when Manuel was still alive, and they left something to be desired. And Sly Stone has made a career out of not showing up for shows; also, the last decent album he put out was during the Nixon presidency.

Unlike almost everyone on this board except for Dan or PDog, I actually keep up with current music. Have you even heard of the bands on the Lolla schedule the past 3 years, much less been there or to Pofo. Jeez.

Call somebody else out. Take your miniscule knowledge of music elsewhere.

P.S. When I mentioned Mountain, I meant "Theme From an Imaginery Western." I know that's one of Leslie West's favorite Mountain tunes, because when I shouted it out to him at a small suburban Chicago bar a couple of months after 9/11, he indicated that he loved that song, and proceeded to change his setlist to play it right then and there.

P.P.S I loved Shake Your Moneymaker when it first came out. I used to think Jealous Again was the greatest song ever, until I heard Twice as Hard the two times I saw the Crowes in concert. But they've sucked since then.
21st February 2008 01:50 PM
Make It Funky Wow! Ok! Now you're talkin! I cant' recall ever hearing Theme From an Imaginery Western at all in my lifetime. I quite enjoy reading interviews with Corky & Leslie.. but that record has never popped up in convo.. cheers dude! see? Thats what Im after!!! What else have you got stored in your back catalogue? Ive gone thru the three main phases of Johnny Winter; Jeff Becks incarnations; and am slowly dipping back into a jazzier angle (Lee Morgans "Sidewinder").

Cheers dude.
22nd February 2008 07:10 PM
crb69 I am seeding a NC show from last year of Marc's on DIME...Excellent renditions of his new CD...

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=183445

BTW, I also agree that the 30 sec. clips of the new Crowes CD sound a bit lame...I am looking forward to hearing Luther play with them though....we'll see!
[Edited by crb69]
22nd February 2008 09:24 PM
robpop
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Nigga Pleaze.

Photobucket

My posts are silky smooth..

24th February 2008 11:07 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
robpop wrote:

Man, that dude was droppin a LOT of passes before we fired his ass.

Know what I mean Slash?

Oh, most definetly...
Photobucket
24th February 2008 11:20 AM
robpop
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Man, that dude was droppin a LOT of passes before we fired his ass.

Know what I mean Slash?

Oh, most definetly...
Photobucket

I was at the game when Cowher finally yanked Kordell. It was against the Browns. The crowd get nuts when Maddox came in. He led the Steelers to an overtime win. Maddox had a good season that year. Then he sucked, but its all good.

It led to this:

"Sit down old man. Shit is going to change around here. I'm taking over."
[Edited by robpop]
24th February 2008 11:25 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
robpop wrote:

I was at the game when Cowher finally yanked Kordell. It was against the Browns. The crowd get nuts when Maddox came in. He led the Steelers to an overtime win. Maddox had a good season that year. Then he sucked, but its all good.

It led to this:

"Sit down old man. Shit is going to change around here. I'm taking over."
[Edited by robpop]

I do remember Maddox playing good that season. Kordell seemed like he had all the tools either he was not smart enough for qtb or to much of a puss. Maybe both.
24th February 2008 11:46 AM
robpop
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

I do remember Maddox playing good that season. Kordell seemed like he had all the tools either he was not smart enough for qtb or to much of a puss. Maybe both.

http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume1/12262001-whiteqbs.html
24th February 2008 12:50 PM
full moon Maybe Ian is the only one around here that makes sense??
24th February 2008 03:15 PM
Make It Funky Well, I do actually. Unequivocally. I mean, I'll never understand why people talk rubbish, (ie sports / football minimalism) thru a Black Crowes post, on a Rolling Stones blog!?!? Like.. fuck.. that just doens't make one iota of fuckin sense to me.

Sometimes it's tough bein the last man standing. I just want proper music to be shared by like-minded people. I never really dug Stones fans, cos they were always so fucking pretentious and full of shit. (some crowes fans too actually).

Why cant people talk bullshit on bullshit sites? Or are they just afraid to be associated with being a bullshitter and being a bullshit member on a bullshit website to talk about bullshit?? I mean.. people need to get lives out there!!

I ask if anyone has been listening to good music, or can make a recommendation, and I get lambasted by football fans!? I just dont get it. Maybe if I go to a football blog site, I'll get better interaction with people who know what music really is?? Maybe Saint Sway will be there too, in the lounge, in real life?

Cheers
Ian
24th February 2008 03:37 PM
robpop
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Well, I do actually. Unequivocally. I mean, I'll never understand why people talk rubbish, (ie sports / football minimalism) thru a Black Crowes post, on a Rolling Stones blog!?!? Like.. fuck.. that just doens't make one iota of fuckin sense to me.

Sometimes it's tough bein the last man standing. I just want proper music to be shared by like-minded people. I never really dug Stones fans, cos they were always so fucking pretentious and full of shit. (some crowes fans too actually).

Why cant people talk bullshit on bullshit sites? Or are they just afraid to be associated with being a bullshitter and being a bullshit member on a bullshit website to talk about bullshit?? I mean.. people need to get lives out there!!

I ask if anyone has been listening to good music, or can make a recommendation, and I get lambasted by football fans!? I just dont get it. Maybe if I go to a football blog site, I'll get better interaction with people who know what music really is?? Maybe Saint Sway will be there too, in the lounge, in real life?

Cheers
Ian

hijack

Be thankful. This thread would have been dead a long time ago if it was not for the hijack.
[Edited by robpop]
24th February 2008 04:15 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Ive already reached the mecca of music knowledge. its pretentious, but satisfying.

You said it, blowhard.

quote:

Its great knowing what you like

Agree.

Liking what you like is one thing, but ripping people for not sharing your fervor for (insert band X here) is lame.
Very lame.

I've seen the Crowes a coupla times, and left feeling less than satisfied.
Guess I don't get it.

But I'm OK with that...

Fuck you very much if you're not.
24th February 2008 04:19 PM
robpop Thank you Lefty. The football hijack in the middle of his precious Crowes thread was my polite way of saying what you just did. Maybe I should be more blunt.

By the way I have seen the Crowes a few times myself, and left feeling the same as you.
24th February 2008 05:03 PM
Dan
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
Well, I do actually. Unequivocally. I mean, I'll never understand why people talk rubbish, (ie sports / football minimalism) thru a Black Crowes post, on a Rolling Stones blog!?!? Like.. fuck.. that just doens't make one iota of fuckin sense to me.

Actually that explains most Crowes fans, except for maybe 1 I know. It's okay to like a third rate cover band but to treat them like the second coming?

I get the idea they are the first rock band most of these people heard while waiting for MTV to play the MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice video again.
24th February 2008 07:39 PM
Zack
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:

No one on this board truly believes the Stones are a viable creative force anymore- they're just here to celebrate the band and all things Stones.

Don't speak such bullshit on my behalf, sammy. ABB is a good album I play often, and not just because it's the Stones. (I don't play Dirty Work just because it's the Stones - I don't play it at all because it's not good music.) Sure the size of the tours get more and more ridiculous each time, but it's very far from being all about marketing.
25th February 2008 10:47 PM
sammy davis jr. Sorry Zach.....enjoy the record.
26th February 2008 09:36 PM
TampabayStone Maxim apologizes for Black Crowes review

02/26/2008 7:35 PM, AP

Maxim magazine has apologized for publishing a negative review of the Black Crowes' new album by a writer who hadn't listened to the whole CD.

The review in Maxim's March issue gives the Crowes' "Warpaint" a rating of two-and-a-half stars out of five. The band posted an exasperated statement on its Web site last week saying the Maxim writer hadn't heard the entire album because advance copies weren't available. The Crowes' manager, Pete Angelus, said the magazine explained that its review was an "educated guess."

Maxim editorial director James Kaminsky responded Tuesday with this statement: "It is Maxim's editorial policy to assign star ratings only to those albums that have been heard in their entirety. Unfortunately, that policy was not followed in the March 2008 issue of our magazine and we apologize to our readers."

A spokeswoman for the magazine contacted by The Associated Press declined to say whether the writer would face disciplinary action.

"Warpaint," the Black Crowes' first album in seven years, is set for release March 4. The blues-rock group, fronted by Chris Robinson, has released only one song from the disc, "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution."

The band's hits include "Hard to Handle" and "She Talks to Angels."

___

On the Net:

The Black Crowes:

http://www.blackcrowes.com/
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)