ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Idaho Center, Boise, Idaho - 14th November 2006
© Idaho Statesman with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Black Crowes Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
15th February 2008 06:14 AM
Black Crow Mornin'

Is anyone on here a fan of the Black Crowes? I hear their new album's out the beginning of March and I for one can't BLOODY WAIT!! =D
15th February 2008 11:00 AM
mojoman sway? is that you?
15th February 2008 11:43 AM
Black Crow Afraid not my man
15th February 2008 11:51 AM
wisertime
quote:
Black Crow wrote:
Mornin'

Is anyone on here a fan of the Black Crowes? I hear their new album's out the beginning of March and I for one can't BLOODY WAIT!! =D

I'm one, I have my tickets for Amsterdam. I just listened to the 30s clips of the new album on walmart site, it sounds like no other Crowes album, beautiful.
15th February 2008 03:27 PM
mojoman
quote:
wisertime wrote:

I'm one, I have my tickets for Amsterdam. I just listened to the 30s clips of the new album on walmart site, it sounds like no other Crowes album, beautiful.

have a smokin time!!!
15th February 2008 06:09 PM
fireontheplatter great band
i look forward to this effort
15th February 2008 07:41 PM
Kilroy Love The Crows cause of their Early Stones Sound.
17th February 2008 06:57 AM
mac_daddy

where is saint sway..?

17th February 2008 10:29 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

where is saint sway..?

I heard he shaved his head, went ghey and moved to Homoha. Just what I heard.
18th February 2008 10:08 AM
mac_daddy well...

anyway, we recorded marc ford's fuzz machine a few weeks back - you can download it here, if you are so inclined. first set was comprised of original tunes, the second set and encore was mostly covers. i think it is pretty good (but i am biased), but if you dig the crowes, you likely will dig this, too...

18th February 2008 01:14 PM
Make It Funky Thank you for posting the wallmart "link".. sadly, I am gravely disappointed in the thirty-second sound bytes of the new crowes cd. As a huuuuge fan of theirs, the only song that I found remotely attractive, is the Reverend Jackson cover, "Gods Got It", which, is merely a 12 bar blues.
THe songs seem literally and figuratively "thin", as in early Dylan recordings, with a country flavour... but where are the heavier guitars? The thick sound? This is a very weak come-back album, so week, I could have written better rock riffs and catchier hooks.

I expect they'll sell about 20,000 units worldwide. Its about as good as a solo Mick Jagger record. Ugh.

Cheers world!
Ian
18th February 2008 03:28 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
well...

anyway, we recorded marc ford's fuzz machine a few weeks back - you can download it here, if you are so inclined. first set was comprised of original tunes, the second set and encore was mostly covers. i think it is pretty good (but i am biased), but if you dig the crowes, you likely will dig this, too...

I saw him in early January at the Mint on Pico and it was an amazing show. Went backstage and met him and the band. He played a lot of new tunes.

macdaddy, how does this recording compare to the Mint?

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=512273
18th February 2008 04:31 PM
mac_daddy i didnt hear the mint gig, but i know the performance at the inn was terrific...

as for sound, let your ears guide you...

the two recordings are technically quite different. @ the mint, mikey used a pair of mics, on a stand, 15 feet from the stage. and that is it... @ the inn, a different mic (actually a stereo mic) was mounted on the stage lip, dfc. also, we were able to get a stereo soundboard feed. then the mic source and sbd source were mixed ("matrixed") together. this is the download i linked to. i havent heard this mix, either, but i know the mix that i made sounds fantastic, and i have been listening to it alot since i finished it (which is rare - i tend to listen to 'em until they're done, and then never again)...

give it a shot - you cant beat the price

i have to say, it warms my heart to see the ro'rs using etree

18th February 2008 06:08 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

love that place!
18th February 2008 06:31 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Black Crow wrote:
Mornin'

NOT!
18th February 2008 08:21 PM
robpop I have never seen a more boring band in concert.
18th February 2008 09:10 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
robpop wrote:
I have never seen a more boring band in concert.

Agreeed, but I always feel like I've seen them on shitty nights. I do dig their music, alot.
19th February 2008 12:40 AM
Make It Funky ya know, sometimes I think either you guys totally ignore my posts, or Im invisible? Iguess you only read what you want to read... a shame really.. cos IVe made some valid points and interesting comments recently... anyways..

I think not unlike the Stones, teh Crowes too have as many off nights as good gigs, and its hit or miss. Obviously, the best way to enjoy a Crowes gig, is stoned, and to be upfront, on the edge of the stage. You really have to get IN to the music.. which I know is very difficult for so many people to do, cos unless there's sequined dressed gogo dancers or pathetically choreographed back-up dancers, you guys wont like the music.. but.. it really is all and only about "the music". Full-stop. Period. Dig??

Moreover, you have to be objective about it as well. One of the few people, who actually really KNOWS music, besides myself, is SaintSway. I promise you, he's got his finger on the pulse of where it's at musically. And lets be real here: the Black Crowes could kick the Stones ass any day of the week, as Ive always said, the Crowes play better Rolling Stones with more conviction, than the Stones themselves. Think about that for a minute. No, really.

Cheers world!
Ian
19th February 2008 02:33 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
ya know, sometimes I think either you guys totally ignore my posts, or Im invisible? Iguess you only read what you want to read... a shame really.. cos IVe made some valid points and interesting comments recently... anyways..

I think not unlike the Stones, teh Crowes too have as many off nights as good gigs, and its hit or miss. Obviously, the best way to enjoy a Crowes gig, is stoned, and to be upfront, on the edge of the stage. You really have to get IN to the music.. which I know is very difficult for so many people to do, cos unless there's sequined dressed gogo dancers or pathetically choreographed back-up dancers, you guys wont like the music.. but.. it really is all and only about "the music". Full-stop. Period. Dig??

Moreover, you have to be objective about it as well. One of the few people, who actually really KNOWS music, besides myself, is SaintSway. I promise you, he's got his finger on the pulse of where it's at musically. And lets be real here: the Black Crowes could kick the Stones ass any day of the week, as Ive always said, the Crowes play better Rolling Stones with more conviction, than the Stones themselves. Think about that for a minute. No, really.

Cheers world!
Ian

Photobucket

My promise to this board & to the Black Crowes is this: I will post this pic everytime a new Crowes thread hits the board, from here on out. This I pledge.

Photobucket
19th February 2008 04:43 AM
GimmeExile
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
i didnt hear the mint gig, but i know the performance at the inn was terrific...

as for sound, let your ears guide you...

the two recordings are technically quite different. @ the mint, mikey used a pair of mics, on a stand, 15 feet from the stage. and that is it... @ the inn, a different mic (actually a stereo mic) was mounted on the stage lip, dfc. also, we were able to get a stereo soundboard feed. then the mic source and sbd source were mixed ("matrixed") together. this is the download i linked to. i havent heard this mix, either, but i know the mix that i made sounds fantastic, and i have been listening to it alot since i finished it (which is rare - i tend to listen to 'em until they're done, and then never again)...

give it a shot - you cant beat the price

Wow! Thanks for the details on the recording. I'll definitely grab this one. We're fortunate the Marc Ford's live shows are documented with such high quality.

[Edited by GimmeExile]
19th February 2008 04:59 AM
Monster
19th February 2008 09:55 AM
Joey
quote:
Monster wrote:

Monster .....................................

19th February 2008 12:48 PM
Make It Funky Tampa: thanks for the "Amorican support" dude.
Monster: LOL hillarious stuff.

cheers,
Ian
19th February 2008 12:53 PM
Dan
quote:
Black Crow wrote:
Mornin'

Is anyone on here a fan of the Black Crowes?

According to a (somewhat unscientific) poll here last year they pulled about even with Great White with fellow Rocks Offers.

Liked them when they first came out but I also saw them live and they bored the shit out of me. They couldn't even top the preceding Oasis set (one of the most un-dynamic live bands of all time) and the songs weren't as good.

I guess they are okay as far as cover bands go.
19th February 2008 12:55 PM
Dan
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
ya know, sometimes I think either you guys totally ignore my posts, or Im invisible? Iguess you only read what you want to read... a shame really.. cos IVe made some valid points and interesting comments recently... anyways..

This is the first time I have ever even noticed you.

quote:

It's really only about the music. But you have to be on drugs to "get it." Got it.

quote:

Cheers world!
Ian

Another self described music snob. How impressive.
19th February 2008 05:02 PM
Make It Funky haha.. funny Dan.. well.. I'd say aside from Martin Scorsese, he's about the only other fucker who shares the same palatable calibre of music that I get off on. But anyways.. you have to get over the Rolling Stones. As amazing as they are, and trust me dude, they are amazing, there is so much more out there. The Stones are a fantastic, if not ideal hub in a wheel of proper music, but venture out on a few different spokes, and absorb it. Kings of Leon.. Les McCann.. Roy Buchanan.. Roy Head, Shuggie Otis.. Grover Washington Jr.. HoundDog Taylor, You Am I, Big Sugar, Leon Russell and Phoebe Snow just to name a few off the top of my head. The Stones had brilliant music. No question. But they are a caricature of themselves, and you cant deny it. They are posers.

Cheers dude.
Ian
19th February 2008 05:13 PM
Dan
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:
haha.. funny Dan.. well.. I'd say aside from Martin Scorsese, he's about the only other fucker who shares the same palatable calibre of music that I get off on. But anyways.. you have to get over the Rolling Stones.

Huh? Get over the Stones? This happens to be a Stones message board! I am totally into a diverse array of music, I just don't listen to too many third rate cover bands.
19th February 2008 07:11 PM
robpop
quote:
Make It Funky wrote:

Cheers world!
Ian

After this post I will not be reading anymore of your posts as you assumed to begin with. Says a lot about the "Crowes" if you have to be stoned to enjoy them.
19th February 2008 09:49 PM
sammy davis jr. I'm no "Crowesologist" but I do know I think Southern Harmony and Lions are their two best albums. Of course, I don't know nearly as much about music as some on these boards. God I hate music snobs. And please remember, the Black Crowes gave the world possibly the worst contrived white boy "blues" song of all time....She Talks To Angels. Smoke another spliff Chris.
20th February 2008 12:23 AM
sweetcharmedlife The problem with the Crows live is that they just totally refuse to play any of their remotely popular songs. I like their music a lot. But I've seen 3 BC shows and in all 3 they didn't do more than 2,3 recognizable songs at all. At the last show I saw in Oakland a few monthes ago they just didn't seem to bother to even care about what they were playing. They played everything half ass with everybody concentrating on doing their own thing. No looking at each other. No concept of a band. Too much abilty,not enough effort from the Crows from what I have seen.
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)