ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Foro Sol, México City - February 26, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Undercover revisited Return to archive Page: 1 2
28th February 2006 11:25 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Zack wrote:

Dirty Work, without a doubt is far worse than any other Stones album and SHOULD be destroyed forever.

Anyone else besides me going to stick up for Wanna Hold You? I like it, especially compared to the blood and death that surrounds it.

I also dig Wanna Hold You, great riff and one of the last all out rockers Keith ever did lead vocals for on a Stones album. Sounded good live in 97-98 also.
28th February 2006 02:52 PM
ListenToTheLion Wanna Hold You is by far the worst song the Stones ever recorded. Stupid lyrics, childish tune, a disgrace to their heritage. Even the Bay City Rollers are doing better than this crap.
28th February 2006 03:35 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
Wanna Hold You is by far the worst song the Stones ever recorded. Stupid lyrics, childish tune, a disgrace to their heritage. Even the Bay City Rollers are doing better than this crap.

Even if you don't like this song, to call it their worst ever is a bit harsh, their worst songs have to be "Anyway You Look At It", "Back To Zero" and "Sweethearts Together".
28th February 2006 06:26 PM
Soldatti Wanna Hold You is a nice track, very catchy.
28th February 2006 06:27 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
Wanna Hold You is by far the worst song the Stones ever recorded. Stupid lyrics, childish tune, a disgrace to their heritage. Even the Bay City Rollers are doing better than this crap.

indeed.
28th February 2006 08:36 PM
theanchorman Undercover & Wanna hold u are the only things worth mentioning
1st March 2006 02:21 AM
blackandblue
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

100% correct!
1st March 2006 04:31 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

You re right!
That's why they should have put "back to zero" and "winning ugly" on 40 Licks!
1st March 2006 06:23 AM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
Zack wrote:

Dirty Work, without a doubt is far worse than any other Stones album and SHOULD be destroyed forever.

Anyone else besides me going to stick up for Wanna Hold You? I like it, especially compared to the blood and death that surrounds it.

Is there some law against BOTH of them sucking? Because they do.
1st March 2006 06:37 AM
Honky Tonk Man Undercover fits snuggly in my "just okay and nothing more" category of Stones albums. There are some good tracks and there are some not so good tracks. There are no masterpieces, so it's not one of they're defining works, but everything is just OKAY. Other albums Id compares it with are its Only Rock n' Roll, Black And Blue and Emotional Rescue. Three albums that deserve merit yet are lacking in other respects.

1st March 2006 04:08 PM
BILL PERKS ALL THE YEARS RUSH ON BY
BIRTHDAYS,KIDS AND SUICIDES

NOW THAT'S ENGLISH PROSE-FANTASTIC LYRICS THROUGHOUT THE RECORD
1st March 2006 04:15 PM
Break The Spell A better album than what its given credit for, far from their best of course. I believe the title track and Wanna Hold You are the only songs the band tried live from it.
1st March 2006 06:06 PM
Some Guy
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
ALL THE YEARS RUSH ON BY
BIRTHDAYS,KIDS AND SUICIDES

NOW THAT'S ENGLISH PROSE-FANTASTIC LYRICS THROUGHOUT THE RECORD

PERKS YOU STILL GOT IT MAN.
1st March 2006 06:41 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
A better album than what its given credit for, far from their best of course.

That's the problem when you have 4 untouchable classics, the others album are minor efforts in comparison. In Undercover's case, it's an album from its time.

quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
I believe the title track and Wanna Hold You are the only songs the band tried live from it.

Yep, an Ronnie played his dog shit song on tour too.
1st March 2006 06:45 PM
speedfreakjive I really have to emphasize just how crap 'Wanna Hold You' is,
1st March 2006 06:50 PM
IrelandCalling4 'Undercover',along with 'Emotional Rescue' and 'Dirty Work',one of the most maligned of rolling stones dics.

However,even the handful of bad rolling stones albums have saving graces,two or three killer tunes you could compile for yourself and forget about the filler surrounding them^ 'Dirty Work' for example -- I love 'Too Rude','Sleep Tonight' and 'One Hit'. Even 'Had it with You' ha it's charms. From 'Emotional Rescue' I'd rescue the title track,the excellent 'All About You' and,of course,that thrilling opener,the Ron Wood co-written 'Dance'.

So,onto 1983's 'UnderCover'. Whether or not the band succeeded,they at least took risks & explored some new musical terrain on this album.

The title track is a genuine thriller,and,usually makes the 'Top-40 Stones Tracks' in various magazines that've done tribute issues to the band. I'd agree,it's a thumpingly great track,and,save for perhaps some dates synth-soundscapes on it,it managed to be both relevant and daring for a band that had been then around for 20-odd years. Superb song,and,IMO,one half of the twin-classics on the record. The other twin in this case being the oddball-but-brilliance of 'Too Much Blood'. Gory lyrics put to a disco-funk-rock-rap beat,it shouldn't have worked,but,my gosh it sure did. A pure Jagger tour-de-force,as was 'UnderCover of the Night',it's an exciting and pulsating track,different to anything the band had ever attempted to that point,and,better for it*

While there's undoubtedly some filler -- 'Wanna Hold You'(though I LOVE the live beefed-up version),'Too Tough'(a by-the-numbers stones track) and 'Must be Hell'(could've been a monster,so much better) --- there are 4 other very good-great tracks on this 1983 opus.

'She Was Hot','Pain Of Love' & 'All the Way down' sparkle with wonderful rhythms,saucy-but-well-written lyrics,and a great energy. Hugely enoyable slices of rock'n'roll with more than just a hint of the sluttish grandeur of the stones' top tracks.

Add to those the jamming of 'Pretty Beat Up'(or,'Dogshit',as it was supposedly originally called^) -- nothing earth shattering about it,yet it swaggers on like a 'Black and Blue' outtake,a rollicking good time had by all!

Nowhere near as good as the stones' heyday,but,underrated,I'd definitely say yes.

Just the stones swaggering into 1983 with a duo of classic tracks,a handful of very good ones,and,a couple of fillers.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)