ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Foro Sol, Mιxico City - February 26, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who's missing from Rock Hall of Fame? Return to archive Page: 1 2
25th February 2006 08:03 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Who's missing from Rock Hall of Fame?

Posted: February 25, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern
By Joseph Farah
© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

During the 1950s, his records outsold those of the "king of rock 'n' roll" – Elvis Presley.

From 1955 to 1962, he had 54 hit singles.

Between 1955 and 1959, he was never off the pop charts.

During the 1950s and 1960s, rock's formative years, his records were outsold by only one other single vocalist or recording artist – Elvis Presley.

Yet, mysteriously, inexplicably this singer – more than 50 years after his pioneering rock 'n' roll career began – remains excluded from Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

His name is Pat Boone.

Not only did Boone have a legendary career in the music business, like Elvis, he used it as a springboard for a successful acting career.

In 1959, he played the lead in the film "Journey To The Center Of The Earth," based on the science fiction novel by Jules Verne. In all, he appeared in 15 films, including "Bernardine," "April Love" and "State Fair."

From 1957 to 1960, he hosted his own television series "The Pat Boone/Chevy Showroom."

With all of these accomplishments, how is it that Mr. White Bucks could be excluded from the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame?

That's what legendary radio man John Rook would like to know – along with thousands of Boone's fans.

Rook has created a website – and a movement – to back Boone's entry into the Hall of Fame. Thousands are signing a petition that will be presented to the Cleveland-based institution.

Maybe the strangest thing about Pat's exclusion from the rock hall, besides his own overlooked stature, involves a comparison with current inductees.

Begun in 1983, few could argue with the hall's first inductees: Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley and Little Richard. But did Boone not deserve to be among those early pioneers? That first round of performers was officially inducted three years later in 1986.

The next round included: The Coasters, Eddie Cochran, Bo Diddley, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Bill Haley, B.B. King, Clyde McPhatter, Ricky Nelson, Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Smokey Robinson, Big Joe Turner, Muddy Waters and Jackie Wilson. By the next round, a new era of performers had become eligible and they were dominating the new lists of inductees – the Beach Boys, Beatles, Bob Dylan, the Supremes, the Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder and so on.

Had Pat Boone missed his opportunity?

Stranger still lesser stars and those with questionable links to rock 'n' roll – LaVern Baker, Bobby "Blue" Bland, Johnny Cash, Ruth Brown, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, Etta James, Little Willie John, Parliament-Funkadelic, Lloyd Price, the Moonglows, Solomon Burke, the Flamingos, Gene Pitney and Buddy Guy.

As the list grows, more people are asking, "Where's Pat?"

There are as many theories surrounding the question.

Pat Boone, himself, an outspoken Christian and conservative commentator for WND and on his own weekly radio show, thinks his omission may be politically inspired – acknowledging happily he doesn't fit into the "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" image of the industry.

He also hypothesizes that he may be excluded precisely because of the kinds of music he recorded so successfully. Some cynics, in fact, suggest he "exploited" rock 'n' roll's black roots by recording cover versions of songs written and originally performed by black artists.

"The truth is that everyone records cover versions of rock songs – even Elvis and the Beatles did it," says Boone. "Most of the early black artists will tell you this was biggest break they got during those early years. As the composers of those songs, most of them were very pleased. My versions of those songs took them into the mainstream."

Boone's first big break came as a multiple winner of "The Ted Mack Amateur Hour," a televised talent competition much like some of those popular today. The exposure led to a contract with Republic Records, and one of his first recordings, "Two Hearts, Two Kisses," a cover of a rhythm and blues hit for the Charms, became Boone's first hit single. He later moved to Dot Records.

In 1955 his version of the Fats Domino hit "Ain't That A Shame" reached the top of the charts, and Boone followed up with a string of hits.

Boone recalls Domino pointing to his new Cadillac and explaining that Pat Boone had "bought it for him," meaning that Boone's hit delivered a big payday for the black recording star.

Boone followed up that hit with cover versions of Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti" and "Long Tall Sally." In 1956, he had a hit with a cover of Ivory Joe Hunter's "I Almost Lost My Mind."

Few have experienced as much longevity as Boone has known in the entertainment business. Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, his family, including Shirley, the daughter of country music star Red Foley, and daughter Debby, who had a smash pop hit of her own with "You Light Up My Life," toured as gospel singers and recorded Christian music.

He also had international success touring the world. In the United Kingdom, he had 27 records reach the top 40 charts, including one No. 1 hit, "I'll Be Home."

Boone is still selling records today – even if they aren't being given much airplay on the radio. His most recent endeavor has been to record a CD of standard patriotic songs, "American Glory."

Does it bother Boone not to be recognized by his peers for his role in the pioneering days of rock 'n' roll?

He is surprised. There's no question he would like to be included in the institution. But he's not holding his breath and he hesitates to become involved in such a movement himself. He would prefer to let his career do the talking.

Meanwhile, the Rock 'n' Roll of Fame is not eager to shed light on the mystery. When contacted by WND, communications coordinator Jenny Williams passed the buck – the white buck, in this case – to public relations consultant Elizabeth Freund. Messages left with her this week went unreturned.
25th February 2006 09:27 AM
FPM C10 He should absolutely be in there. It's that kind of place.

25th February 2006 09:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
With all of these accomplishments, how is it that Mr. White Bucks could be excluded from the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame?

That's what legendary radio man John Rook would like to know – along with thousands of Boone's fans.

Well....I'm glad to see that Pat's fans are somewhat passionate about their hero. Anyway the Sex Pistols are "in" and want out and Pat's "out" and wants in....crazy.
25th February 2006 09:42 AM
Sir Stonesalot I agree with Flea. Pat Boone has nothing to do with Rock & Roll. But then again, neither does the Rock & Roll HOF. Yeah, they deserve each other.
25th February 2006 11:04 AM
jb Janis Ian
25th February 2006 11:26 AM
theanchorman KISS should be in there...
25th February 2006 11:35 AM
jb Ratt
25th February 2006 11:44 AM
theanchorman Ratt is on par with the derelicht joplin
25th February 2006 11:47 AM
Reginald Denny Who's in the hall of fame?

Inductee list

performers
Chuck Berry
James Brown
Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
Fats Domino
The Everly Brothers
Buddy Holly
Jerry Lee Lewis
Elvis Presley
Little Richard

early influences
Robert Johnson
Jimmie Rodgers
Jimmy Yancey

lifetime achievement
John Hammond

non-performers
Alan Freed
Sam Phillips

performers
The Coasters
Eddie Cochran
Bo Diddley
Aretha Franklin
Marvin Gaye
Bill Haley
B. B. King
Clyde McPhatter
Ricky Nelson
Roy Orbison
Carl Perkins
Smokey Robinson
Big Joe Turner
Muddy Waters
Jackie Wilson

early influences
Louis Jordan
T-Bone Walker
Hank Williams

non-performers
Leonard Chess
Ahmet Ertegun
Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
Jerry Wexler

performers
The Beach Boys
The Beatles
The Drifters
Bob Dylan
The Supremes

early influences
Woody Guthrie
Lead Belly
Les Paul

non-performers
Berry Gordy, Jr

performers
Dion
Otis Redding
The Rolling Stones
The Temptations
Stevie Wonder

early influences
The Inkspots
Bessie Smith
The Soul Stirrers

non-performers
Phil Spector

performers
Hank Ballard
Bobby Darin
The Four Seasons
The Four Tops
The Kinks
The Platters
Simon and Garfunkel
The Who

early influences
Louis Armstrong
Charlie Christian
Ma Rainey

non-performers
Gerry Goffin and Carole King
Holland, Dozier and Holland

performers
LaVern Baker
The Byrds
John Lee Hooker
The Impressions
Wilson Pickett
Jimmy Reed
Ike and Tina Turner

early influences
Howlin' Wolf

lifetime achievement
Nesuhi Ertegun

non-performers
Dave Bartholomew
Ralph Bass

performers
Bobby "Blue" Bland
Booker T. and the M.G.'s
Johnny Cash
The Isley Brothers
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Sam and Dave
The Yardbirds

early influences
Elmore James
Professor Longhair

non-performers
Leo Fender
Bill Graham
Doc Pomus

performers
Ruth Brown
Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Doors
Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
Etta James
Van Morrison
Sly and the Family Stone

early influences
Dinah Washington

non-performers
Dick Clark
Milt Gabler

performers
The Animals
The Band
Duane Eddy
The Grateful Dead
Elton John
John Lennon
Bob Marley
Rod Stewart

early influences
Willie Dixon

non-performers
Johnny Otis

performers
The Allman Brothers Band
Al Green
Janis Joplin
Led Zeppelin
Martha and the Vandellas
Neil Young
Frank Zappa

early influences
The Orioles

non-performers
Paul Ackerman

performers
David Bowie
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Jefferson Airplane
Little Willie John
Pink Floyd
The Shirelles
The Velvet Underground

early influences
Pete Seeger

non-performers
Tom Donahue

performers
The (Young) Rascals
The Bee Gees
Buffalo Springfield
Crosby, Stills and Nash
The Jackson Five
Joni Mitchell
Parliament-Funkadelic

early influences
Mahalia Jackson
Bill Monroe

non-performers
Syd Nathan

performers
The Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
The Mamas and the Papas
Lloyd Price
Santana
Gene Vincent

early influences
Jelly Roll Morton

non-performers
Allen Toussaint

performers
Billy Joel
Curtis Mayfield
Paul McCartney
Del Shannon
Dusty Springfield
Bruce Springsteen
The Staple Singers

early influences
Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
Charles Brown

non-performers
George Martin

performers
Eric Clapton
Earth, Wind & Fire
Lovin' Spoonful
The Moonglows
Bonnie Raitt
James Taylor

early influences
Nat "King" Cole
Billie Holiday

sidemen
Hal Blaine
King Curtis
James Jamerson
Scotty Moore
Earl Palmer

non-performers
Clive Davis

performers
Aerosmith
Solomon Burke
The Flamingos
Michael Jackson
Queen
Paul Simon
Steely Dan
Ritchie Valens

sidemen
James Burton
Johnnie Johnson

non-performers
Chris Blackwell

performers
Isaac Hayes
Brenda Lee
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Gene Pitney
Ramones
Talking Heads

sidemen
Chet Atkins

non-performers
Jim Stewart

performers
AC/DC
The Clash
Elvis Costello & the Attractions
The Police
Righteous Brothers

sidemen
Benny Benjamin
Floyd Cramer
Steve Douglas

non-performers
Mo Ostin

performers
Jackson Browne
The Dells
George Harrison
Prince
Bob Seger
Traffic
ZZ Top

lifetime achievement
Jann S. Wenner

performers
Buddy Guy
The O'Jays
The Pretenders
Percy Sledge
U2

lifetime achievement
Frank Barsalona
Seymour Stein

25th February 2006 11:56 AM
glencar If the Police are in there then Pat Boone should also be in there. What a fecking disgrace.
25th February 2006 12:30 PM
Throwaway AMEN GLENCAR! You cant take a Rocknroll history course without hearing Boone's name
25th February 2006 02:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot It's called the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame...right?

Pat Boone is a Pop singer. Pop music is not Rock and Roll.

I love Otis Redding and Marvin Gaye. They are R & B singers. R & B is not Rock n Roll.

You see what I'm getting at?

This thing has been misnamed. In the incarnation that it is in now it would be more aptly named the "Recording Industry of Modern Music Hall Of Fame". If the inductees and the music are not all Rock n Roll...then why is it called a "Rock n Roll" Hall of Fame?

This whole thing was doomed from the start. There are not enough artists who actually practice the art of "Rock and Roll", and there are not enough fans of "Rock n Roll" to devote an entire museum to it, or to attract enough people to make it a going concern. So they had to expand the definition and make it more inclusive. I have no problem with that. I just wish that they would have changed the name to something more suitable.

This museum was created by business executives....and it shows.
25th February 2006 02:24 PM
Reginald Denny
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I love Otis Redding and Marvin Gaye. They are R & B singers. R & B is not Rock n Roll.

Agreed. But I think there's a spot for them as inspirational artists. Sort of like umpires and commisioners in the baseball hall of fame.

I also agree it would have been better to call it something besides the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. "The Fake by the Lake".

My thoughts are anything that helps people remember this kind of music instead of the crap that is churned out today is a good thing. Even if it's cheesy.
25th February 2006 03:09 PM
Sir Stonesalot >My thoughts are anything that helps people remember this kind of music instead of the crap that is churned out today is a good thing. Even if it's cheesy.<

Yeah I agree with that sentiment. And I agree that Marvin and Otis belong in some form. That's why they should have called the thing something else.

The problem though, is that if you go to the RnRHoF...you see displays for Brittany Spears, The Back Street Boys, Celine Dion, and Garth Brooks(none of whom are actual inductees)...alongside displays of Muddy Waters, The Stones, and Elvis(all of whom are inductees). And if crap like the Backside Boyz is standing there beside The Stones, the mindless dolts that walk through there equate the Stones and the Backstreet Boys as the same thing. And that bugs me. It bugs me big time.

Don't get me wrong, there are some VERY Rock n Roll things at the HOF. Like the TV that Elvis shot...and the pistol that he used to shoot it with. Unfortunately, most of the really cool stuff that they have is overwhelmed by the mindless CRAP that they surround it with. It is just a fucked up place. A missed opportunity. But honestly, I guess it couldn't have been anything else. It's what happens when you let suits run the show.
25th February 2006 03:24 PM
jb zCeline Dion
25th February 2006 03:34 PM
MRD8 Its a joke to me that NO progressive rock groups are in the HOF...Yes, Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, King Crimson, the Peter Gabriel version of Genesis...they all deserve to be there!
25th February 2006 03:40 PM
Martha Who's missing from Rock Hall of Fame?

Me! That's who! LOL

I know there is schlock in the RH. It is there to attract people who otherwise wouldn't come at all. They have to pay the bills.....that's why the schlock/crap is in there. I just gouge out my eyes when I have to pass by those sort of exhibits.

Rock on!
25th February 2006 03:52 PM
glencar I'm shedding NO tears over Pat Boone's exclusion from the HOF. But he had an impact on early rock & roll that exceeds the impact of several of the actual inductees. I do think they've overloaded the place as it is. When I was there it was pretty empty. That was in 1997 or so. It sucks that they've put up exhibits for the current pop tarts.
25th February 2006 04:08 PM
Navin No Alice Cooper
25th February 2006 04:08 PM
Joey

I have a terrible Hangover this afternoon that unfortunately CONTINUES to get worse and not better .............

" I just do NOT know how I am going to be able to sit through dinner this evening Ronnie ! "

Jacky !
25th February 2006 04:13 PM
glencar hair of the dog!
25th February 2006 04:29 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
hair of the dog!

YES !!!!!!

Hess Estate '02 Cabernet Sauvignon

Mmmmmmm !
25th February 2006 04:43 PM
glencar I won that last month. Any good or is it swill?
25th February 2006 05:53 PM
theanchorman
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Its a joke to me that NO progressive rock groups are in the HOF...Yes, Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, King Crimson, the Peter Gabriel version of Genesis...they all deserve to be there!

IMO - none of those bands belong there

In terms of American rock bands....

Hendrix...Aerosmith...KISS....Alice Cooper...ZZ TOP...Elvis...Van Halen....STV..JOE F'N WALSH.Chuck Berry...Jerry Lee Lewis etc - these are the types of artists that should be in there...

plus the Beatles...Stones...Clapton...Sabbath...The WHO...Floyd

I'm missing a few more - but there are way too many bands in the HOF that shouldn't be anywhere near there...
25th February 2006 05:59 PM
glencar I'd put Tull in there. None of the rest though.
25th February 2006 06:17 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Don't get me wrong, there are some VERY Rock n Roll things at the HOF. Like the TV that Elvis shot...and the pistol that he used to shoot it with.

I think that was on loan from Graceland, wasn't it? But it was in the absolute pinnacle of the pyramid, which I thought was great...you climbed all the way up and the last thing you saw was the TV set Elvis shot.

That really WAS great, and that's the sort of thing that needs to be in a rock & roll museum. Elvis was tacky enough that he SHOULD be in there...or, hmmm, doesn't he have his own museum?

But then there's stuff like this - I was there once and they had Muddy Waters' red Telecaster, and of course I thought it should be in Chicago but I was thrilled to see it, and then the next time I was there they had it in a rack with a bunch of other guitars, like here's Joe Walsh's Les Paul and here's Paul Stanley's whatever and here's Muddy Waters' Telecaster, and that REALLY made me mad. And then I read "I Can't Be Satisfied" and found out they buried Muddy's Telecaster with him, had to break the neck to get the coffin lid shut. So that was a FAKE on top of everything else.

They had Elmore James' guitar. I mean, holy hell. Elmore James' guitar!!! It's a religious relic!

Um....WHY IS IT IN A GLASS PYRAMID IN CLEVELAND?

25th February 2006 06:23 PM
FPM C10
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'd put Tull in there. None of the rest though.

You know, I saw them do Thick As A Brick in about 1973 or so, and it was fairly incredible.
25th February 2006 08:01 PM
Kilroy Should be in:
Tull, Winters (both Edgar and Johnny), Rick Derringer, Link Ray, The Ventures(if they're not already in there, Dave Clark 5, Larry Rasberry, Steppenwolf, Yes and more............
[Edited by Kilroy]
25th February 2006 08:17 PM
theanchorman
quote:
And then I read "I Can't Be Satisfied" and found out they buried Muddy's Telecaster with him, had to break the neck to get the coffin lid shut. So that was a FAKE on top of everything else.

Wow - never knew that...
Suprised some sicko hasn't tried stealing it out of the coffin - although that'd be some pretty nasty karma.

I think EVH buried his yellow/black frankenstein guitar with Dimebag...

John Belushi has some cool stuff buried with him....
26th February 2006 02:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Davis Family Feuds Over Hall Induction
by UPI Wire
Feb 26, 2006

NEW YORK, Feb. 25 (UPI) -- The son and daughter of the late Miles Davis are squabbling over who will represent the family at his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Gregory Davis is angry that the two comp tickets to the March 13 event in New York went to his father's estate, which is run by his sister Cheryl, the New York Daily News reported Saturday.

"My sister, we don't even believe she was a Davis," he told the Daily News. "We don't even think there will be any Davises accepting that award."

Gregory Davis and his brother, Miles 3rd, were cut out of their father's will, the newspaper said.

The New York probate filing had the jazz great's more than $1 million estate split among Cheryl; another son, Erin; a nephew; and his brother and sister.

Gregory Davis told the Daily News he has written a book about his family that is being released in about three months.

United Press International

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)