ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ezio Petersen
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keefs greatest live Solo???? Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-18-04 09:18 PM
Scottfree On a serious note, not sure if this topic has been put forth. Part of the reason I bring this up is because I recently acquired the 90 Stones in Tokyo. Keith does the lenghtiest, dirtiest, and somewhat on solo on SFTD, I just can't listen to it enough. Secondly, I think this was Keith's best live year, but at this point Ronnie was buried in the mix, so sad.......

As Ronnie's guitar gently sleeps......
02-18-04 11:26 PM
Soul Survivor Listen to the solo on "Can't Be Seen" on the Atlantic City '89 PPV
02-19-04 12:00 AM
jpenn11 In the SFTD movie, while he is waiting around in between takes he plays some licks that finally convinced me he might have actually played the solo in the official studio version. (No snipe intended.)

In any case, I like a lot of the Bitch solos, from the '72/Honolulu/Aussie tours as well as from the earlier Leeds show.
02-19-04 12:15 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
In the SFTD movie, while he is waiting around in between takes he plays some licks that finally convinced me he might have actually played the solo in the official studio version. (No snipe intended.)

what made you doubt it??
02-19-04 07:30 AM
Steel Wheels Any one of the solos he did on the Winos DVD do it for me...very inspired playing.
02-19-04 07:48 AM
Jumacfly SFTD , atlantic city 89, great one!!!
and, my "coup de coeur" is definitely the one on Nearness of You, that brings tears in my eyes in a second!!
02-19-04 09:01 AM
dealer squealing Beast Of Burden from Miami 1994. Also Slipping Away from Stockholm 2003.
02-19-04 10:22 AM
Mathijs His haunting lead on You Don't Move Me from Talk is Cheap. Best ever Keith solo.

Mathijs
02-19-04 10:24 AM
jb I don't think any of keith's solos are remakable as this is not his strong point. In fact, the "solo" on the studio version of SFTD is not all Keith.....
02-19-04 10:31 AM
scratched Who is it then?
02-19-04 10:37 AM
jb The credits go to Keith, but throughout the years, I have heard rumors that another musician contributed .
02-19-04 10:42 AM
scratched i always thought it was Keith but that the faster bit was 'sped up' using a different tape speed and key. For no other reason than it sounds like it.
02-19-04 10:49 AM
jb I'm sure someone will have the true answer.
02-19-04 10:56 AM
scratched Maybe. Anyone heard this?
02-19-04 11:05 AM
dealer squealing Are we talking about live solo or what?
02-19-04 11:07 AM
jb Studio...
02-19-04 11:13 AM
sandrew I have two candidates: the classical acoustic solo on "Almost Hear You Sigh" and the one on the studio version of "Let Me Go."

He actually "blows through the changes," as horn players say. Never topped 'em since. Although I do like Mathijs's choice -- similar in some ways to "Let Me Go" if you think about it.
02-19-04 11:39 AM
Jumacfly Jb read the titlle of the topic again...
02-19-04 11:40 AM
KeithRichards210
quote:
jb wrote:
I don't think any of keith's solos are remakable as this is not his strong point. In fact, the "solo" on the studio version of SFTD is not all Keith.....

Bullshit. Yes it is.
02-19-04 11:41 AM
KeithRichards210
quote:
jb wrote:
The credits go to Keith, but throughout the years, I have heard rumors that another musician contributed .

Well a rumor is ALL it is. That solo is definitely Keith.
02-19-04 11:45 AM
jb I think MT played it live Steve....
02-19-04 11:51 AM
KeithRichards210
quote:
jb wrote:
I think MT played it live Steve....

Live, yes. Keith and Taylor took turns at the solo. But I thought you said "on the STUDIO track"?? Keef definitely handles the solo in the studio.
02-19-04 11:52 AM
jb Are you 100% sure of that? I thought others helped?
02-19-04 12:03 PM
patioaintdry I'm with the Sandrew and Mathijs school of thought -- the subtle, rhythm oriented solos, especially the rare ones that don't sound overdubbed (Let Me Go, Respectable) are terrific. I would ask you to also consider Time Is on My Side, Hampton '81 and the studio Heart of Stone.
02-19-04 12:23 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
jb wrote:
Are you 100% sure of that? I thought others helped?

Nope. Not in the studio. I'm absolutely sure on that solo.
02-19-04 12:34 PM
Mikey What about "Starfucker" from Live You Live? Raunchy solo for sure.

Also, the twin leads on SFTD circa 75?
02-19-04 12:35 PM
jb mICK tAYLOR oN gIMME sHELTER FROM "pHILADELPHIA sPECIAL"
02-19-04 01:00 PM
jpenn11 Again, I mean no disrespect to one of the finest guitarists, but someone asked why I thought the SFTD solo is not Keith:

1. He has never replicated the solo in the live shows I have heard. While it is possible that I have missed something in the AC '89 recording and I have not heard as many shows as probably everyone else on the board, he did not seem to do anything remotely like the studio solo in the '69 tour, when presumably it was fresh in his mind. (From '75 and on, I generally thought Ronnie was mimicking some of the SFTD studio licks, but he never quite got the note flurries going.)

2. Nothing else that he has done in the studio since seems even remotely similar even though he had lots of opportunities to solo since 1968.

3. The solo is left out of the SFTD movie. (Doesn't prove anything, but I was looking for it.)

In the end, it does not matter other than as trivia. He is a phenomenal guitarist and it's a great solo.
02-19-04 01:04 PM
glencar I agree with whoever posted "Heart Of Stone."
02-19-04 10:13 PM
BigMac In reference to if Keith actually did the entire solo on the studio SFTD, I'll add to the conspiracy theory... Jimmy Miller produced Traffic and the chord structure of the song "Dear Mr. Fantasy" sounds very similar to the slow takes of SFTD. The solo for "Fantasy" is very close to the solo on SFTD. Hmmmmm, and it makes me wonder. Dave Mason and Winwood just happened to be recording at Olympic Studios with Traffic in May of 68, could either have lent a helping hand on SFTD? I know Winwood denies playing on Memo From Turner, but he never said he didn't play on any other track. Not that he or Mason are even close to the master riff player, but I have always seen a connection between these songs. Also, I've always wondered why Keith could never replicate the true beginning of Jumping Jack Flash as well.
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH