ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ezio Petersen
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keefs greatest live Solo???? Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-19-04 10:16 PM
BigMac I forgot to add about Heart of Stone- that wasn't Keith, it was Jimmy Page doing the lead. I don't know if Keith really ever had a great studio solo. I guess Bitch is the best I can remember.
02-19-04 10:28 PM
stonedinaustralia i'd say the reason keith doesn't attempt the studio solo for SFTD live is because they essentially re-arranged the tune for live performance - i.e. studio rythym is congas,bass and piano that had to be adapted to electric guitars in the live setting

did you know some scientists once did some tests on rats - exposing them to many different guitar solos to a see what effect they had on the rats - the SFTD solo had the biggest effect on them in terms of nervous reaction/response second only to lou reed's feedback laden effort in "i heard her call my name"
02-19-04 11:22 PM
Zack 1. That Keith didn't play the solo on the studio version of SFTD: 100% bullshit. Dave Mason, are you kidding.

2. That Page played the solo on Heart of Stone: 100% bullshit. He played on the lap steel version on Meta.

3. Keith's greatest live solo: SFTD on YaYas. See #1.

Oy gevay!
02-19-04 11:25 PM
Scottfree I did say LIVE.....Another dirty solo of Keefs that moves me, is Locked Away LIVE on the Winos at the Paladium......
02-20-04 10:21 AM
lucasd4
quote:
BigMac wrote:
I forgot to add about Heart of Stone- that wasn't Keith, it was Jimmy Page doing the lead. I don't know if Keith really ever had a great studio solo. I guess Bitch is the best I can remember.

Page played the solo on the version found on METAMORPHOSIS. Keith played it on the officially released version we all know so well.
02-20-04 11:25 AM
Stonefarker Keith on SFTD "Ya Ya's"....without a doubt...not one note is incorrect!

Enough said.
02-20-04 12:24 PM
Nasty Habits Bitch. Perth '73.
Midnight Rambler - one note rhythm solo, MSG '72.
Live With Me - Ya Ya's

SIA -- tell me more about this experiment!

Is this the same experiment where they made white mice explode by playing them loud rock and roll music?

Rock 'n' Roll High School!

02-20-04 01:25 PM
BigMac Good to know I can leave the website for over 6 months and still ruffle some feathers. Zack, I was just JOKING about the conspiracy theory-like Dave Mason or Winwood could either hang with the master! I thought the Heart of Stone solo that someone earlier was referring to was the Metamorphisis version- my bad.

Anyways, good to be home again. Hopefully, i won't be on hiatus for use of the internet longer than 6 months. When you are an educator, they screen the websites that you go to and since Rocks Off has added the naked cartoon chick, I haven't been able to return to the site.

Take care, and don't take it so hard when we talk about Keef- geez.
02-20-04 01:27 PM
jb Keth's solos on SFTD the past few tours have been horrible...there is no way he can be the same guy who did it in the studio....I will not accept this.
[Edited by jb]
02-20-04 01:42 PM
Nasty Habits No true fan of the Rolling Stones would ever claim it wasn't Keith on guitar on the studio version of Sympathy, nor would any true fan of the Rolling Stones say that Keith's solos on the song from '69, '75 or '89/'90 (not to mention the wild leads on Rock 'n' Roll Circus or Hyde Park) are terrible. Such a fondness for the melodic precision of Mick Taylor or anti-Keith conspirator would almost have to be a Beatles fan, or worse a McCartney-loving Beatles fan.
02-20-04 01:47 PM
jb I really enjoyed your post re: Stones sales last week. You summed it up very nicely.
[Edited by jb]
02-20-04 01:54 PM
Nasty Habits Thanks -- nice to have you back on the board.

By the way, you're "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" thread over at gasland was almost as good as this one!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
02-20-04 07:36 PM
SirMuddy Nice solos!
Many choice...
Heart of stone (I love the rough outtake of it too)
Nasty Habits I listen to your Bitch/MR/LWM Mix
Real coool!
After it, I put When the whip comes down from handsome girl (disc 3 1978 Memphis)(New York 2003 was fuckin' good too)
Little Queenie from Yaya's (and from hail hail)
blast me everytime....
SFTD studio is Keith... (Listen to one+one bootlegs, listen too to Rock'n'roll Circus live version, it's almost the same... yaya's is the new live version... 1975 LA 10:18 version is so great... 1989 AC too... and I really love the 2003 stocholm cirkus version... and for the non-guitarist listeners... there's always a ta-da-da-da ta-da-da-da da! :P)
What else???
[Edited by SirMuddy]
02-20-04 08:15 PM
John Wood I've always loved Keith's solo on Let Me Go from the 81 tour!
02-21-04 10:14 AM
Scottfree Oh forgot to mention one, Flip the Switch, St Louie 97.....Love it......
02-22-04 08:47 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

SIA -- tell me more about this experiment!

Is this the same experiment where they made white mice explode by playing them loud rock and roll music?

Rock 'n' Roll High School!

hey there my nasty friend - always cool to "talk" to you - i hope you and Miss T. are sweet and dandy

yes nasty it was along those lines- i don't know if the rats exploded but they played these guitar solos to them to see what kind of reaction they'd get - from memeory it was done sometime in '70'ss - i forget where i read it - sorry nasty i don't know much more than that - the idea in "rock and roll high school" may well have been taken from it

have you heard of the australian band "the exploding white mice" (from my town of adelaide) - they gained some small notoriety stateside and an even larger following in europe (the dutch and scandanavians seem to have a somewhat inexplicable fondness for australian indy/alternative bands)- their name, of course, was taken from that scene in the movie
02-22-04 09:51 PM
TomL Happy is always # 1, but U got the Silver was grand.
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH