ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Happy 66th birthday Brian!
© ? with thanks to zooeyglass!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Frank Sinatra Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th February 2008 12:39 AM
Sioux
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

That's quite a pedigree - your daddy did alright by ya!

Yeah, both my parents were in show biz in the mid-late 40's. They knew a lot of people, worked with a lot of people..... Dean Martin, Doris Day, Joey Bishop, Gene Kelly....even Bela Lugosi! Very interesting life they led. And when we lived in So. Cal., when I was a youngster, I reaped the benefits of them knowing people. I got to know a few myself....
12th February 2008 12:40 AM
Sioux Dad was able to see a lot of the jazz greats in various clubs. It was a great time for him.
12th February 2008 07:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
Maxmeister wrote:
I had the extreme pleasure to see him in concert in Vegas at the Golden Nugget [room held around 300] back in the very early eighties. It's one of my top concert experiences of all time.

Back then, the old Vegas ticket system was in place. You bought a ticket but had to work with the room attendant for your seat. The more you greased his palm the better the seat. We were with my wife's boss and some of his buddies who thought they were high rollers. They dropped three hundred and we were in the first row of tables.

In modern music no one does what they do better than Sinatra. One of a kind never ever duplicated.

Rick

Good to see you posting, Rick. Hope everything's Ok with ya.

I never got to see Frank, and missing his show in Dublin in 1987 on what was his last tour over here is the one concert I've always regretted not attending. It was the tour he did wth Minelli and Sammy Davis Jr and whilst I had started being able to appreciate him by then (thanks to my wife-to-be who was more of a fan), the idea of going to see him in a large stadium with two other acts I had no real interest in just didnt appeal. Plus, I had remembered the press reviews from his previous tours where he had been savaged for being over the hill and for charging exorbitant amounts (£200 for the Royal Albert Hall) to see him. So, I presumed it would be a repeat on all counts and, as I was about to get married that year, it appeared to be an unnecessary expense (yes....I was a ticket-price whiner even back then).

I was pretty pissed off when a friend of mine in Dublin told me later she had bought two tickets (priced £35) for the price of one off a ticket tout outside and that he was absolutely brilliant. I vowed next time I'd definitely go, but it never happened.
12th February 2008 07:38 AM
Joey
quote:

Sioux wrote:

Dad was able to see a lot of the jazz greats in various clubs. It was a great time for him.

I believe Frank Sinatra once ' dated ' Victoria Principal .

" Now THAT is a REAL woman ( circa The Carter Administration ) Ronnie ! "

Jazzy ! ™
12th February 2008 08:24 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Having noticed that he's got a couple of mentions in err, the 'embarrassing' music thread, I thought I would start a thread.

I’ve recently started to get into his music and have purchased the 3 CD compilations of his Capitol Years, The Platinum Collection. I absolutely love it and the production and orchestration really makes the songs sound something else.

I'm in the market now for a compilation of his Reprise years. Anyone have any suggestions? He has a 2 CD Best Of, but wondered if there were other options

Another option my dear Alex: try the Dean martin's stuff, great production as well and great voice
They also released a Rat pack live cd with Sammy Davis which is very cool....
12th February 2008 09:33 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Another option my dear Alex: try the Dean martin's stuff, great production as well and great voice
They also released a Rat pack live cd with Sammy Davis which is very cool....

Well, ring-a-ding-ding!

12th February 2008 09:39 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Having noticed that he's got a couple of mentions in err, the 'embarrassing' music thread, I thought I would start a thread.

I’ve recently started to get into his music and have purchased the 3 CD compilations of his Capitol Years, The Platinum Collection. I absolutely love it and the production and orchestration really makes the songs sound something else.

I'm in the market now for a compilation of his Reprise years. Anyone have any suggestions? He has a 2 CD Best Of, but wondered if there were other options

Love him...Been a fan for about 20 years now...Once I got past the stigma that youth can place on his and others music
12th February 2008 09:41 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
I'd recommend "Only The Lonely." It's not a compilation, but it's Sinatra at his best (with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra, no less). I got it on vinyl in the late '70s and was instantly hooked, and it blew my mind to hear Sinatra name it as his favorite in a documentary I saw in the early '90s. Ya can't go wrong with this one, HTM.

I just got that record the other day...only to find out my turntable is not working...So the anticipation is killing me...The cover makes me think of John Gacy...That's not good
12th February 2008 09:48 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

I just got that record the other day...only to find out my turntable is not working...So the anticipation is killing me...The cover makes me think of John Gacy...That's not good

That disk is hard enough to find in CD format, much less vinyl. Get thee to a tointable store, quick!
12th February 2008 09:52 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

That disk is hard enough to find in CD format, much less vinyl. Get thee to a tointable store, quick!

Best thing is, I got that record for 25 cents...It's been played, but can't be more than a few times...it still has the cellophane around the cover...There is a "Half-Priced Book Store" here in town...They deal primarily in books...But they sell records too and I'm always finding really good records in their clearance stack...Seems they only put records on the shelf at full price if they are rap or classic rock
12th February 2008 09:56 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Best thing is, I got that record for 25 cents...It's been played, but can't be more than a few times...it still has the cellophane around the cover...There is a "Half-Priced Book Store" here in town...They deal primarily in books...But they sell records too and I'm always finding really good records in their clearance stack...Seems they only put records on the shelf at full price if they are rap or classic rock

25 cents with the cellophane still on? You found yourself a DEAL there. By the way, here are a couple of reasonably-priced turntables - nothin' fancy, but they get the job done:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PSLX250H-Turntable/dp/B00005T3XH/ref=sr_1_4/105-6314273-1853264?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1202827852&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Technics-SLBD20D-Automatic-Turntable/dp/B00005T3Y8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1202827959&sr=1-10
12th February 2008 09:59 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

25 cents with the cellophane still on? You found yourself a DEAL there. By the way, here are a couple of reasonably-priced turntables - nothin' fancy, but they get the job done:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PSLX250H-Turntable/dp/B00005T3XH/ref=sr_1_4/105-6314273-1853264?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1202827852&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Technics-SLBD20D-Automatic-Turntable/dp/B00005T3Y8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1202827959&sr=1-10

I should have qualified that...My turntable actually works...but it needs an adapter to work with my stereo...I have one, but it has conked out...so all I need to really do is go to Radio Shack...and all Radio Shack needs to do is stay open past 6 pm...
12th February 2008 10:01 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Well, ring-a-ding-ding!

dont forget, little ole wine drinker me
12th February 2008 11:37 AM
Zack My ex brother in law sang Fly Me to the Moon karaoke to my sister at their wedding reception. They were divorced within three years, thank god.

My all-time favorite Frank is one of Gazza's picks, Songs for Swingin' Lovers. "Bells to be rung, a wonderful fling to be flung!"
13th February 2008 05:34 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Love him...Been a fan for about 20 years now...Once I got past the stigma that youth can place on his and others music

That's a good point. I may of been into him years ago if it wasn't for the fact that he's not 'rock 'n' roll'.

Maybe that, or my tastes have somewhat matured!

14th February 2008 06:54 AM
egon 3.40 mns:

16th February 2008 11:36 PM
robpop
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Well, ring-a-ding-ding!

Ahem....

17th February 2008 02:49 PM
IrelandCalling4 Love Sinatra!

Like many have said above, his best stuff is that run of albums in the '50's, wonderful albums like "Only The Lonely", "In the wee Small Hours", "Songs for Swingin' Lovers".

I got into him through that compilation released about 10 years ago, "The Very Best Of" os some variation thereof, can't recall exact title. I'd go for "In the wee small hours" as the favourite I have, melancholy and emotional, quite excellent
17th February 2008 05:15 PM
BONOISLOVE He loved Bono.
17th February 2008 05:29 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
robpop wrote:

Ahem....

All the way, baby...

Gotta love the internet. It's a wild, kooky place:
http://www.prosperoart.com/ratpackcards/ratpack.html

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
17th February 2008 05:42 PM
robpop
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

All the way, baby...

Gotta love the internet. It's a wild, kooky place:
http://www.prosperoart.com/ratpackcards/ratpack.html

[Edited by GotToRollMe]

Peter Lawford pissed old Frank off, and his career was never the same.
17th February 2008 05:48 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
robpop wrote:

Peter Lawford pissed old Frank off, and his career was never the same.

The joker in that deck of cards at Prosperoart is Don Rickles saying "Make yourself at home, Frank, hit somebody!" LOL
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)