ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Happy 66th birthday Brian!
© ? with thanks to zooeyglass!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Frank Sinatra Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th February 2008 01:14 PM
Honky Tonk Man Having noticed that he's got a couple of mentions in err, the 'embarrassing' music thread, I thought I would start a thread.

I’ve recently started to get into his music and have purchased the 3 CD compilations of his Capitol Years, The Platinum Collection. I absolutely love it and the production and orchestration really makes the songs sound something else.

I'm in the market now for a compilation of his Reprise years. Anyone have any suggestions? He has a 2 CD Best Of, but wondered if there were other options
11th February 2008 01:51 PM
lotsajizz good actor

can't stand him as a singer though
11th February 2008 02:11 PM
stewed & Keefed I like the way he sings his songs but I don't like the songs he sings.
[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
11th February 2008 03:14 PM
Factory Girl He is my favorite singer. I have his "the Very Good Years" collection. (PM me).

HT Man, I'm truly pleased that you and I have developed rather parallel musical tastes.

11th February 2008 03:27 PM
gimmekeef Those fuckers on Von Ryans Express shoulda stopped the train for him....
11th February 2008 04:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
good actor

can't stand him as a singer though

I'm pretty much the opposite. Well, not strictly true - he's a fine actor, just that for the most part its not my type of film, although theres some outstanding exceptions (Man with the Golden Arm, Manchurian Candidate etc)

To get back to the question - Sinatra's definitive albums are during the era he was on Capitol in the 50's (Only The Lonely, Songs for Swingin' Lovers, In the Wee Small Hours - 'concept' albums made before Pete Townshend would have able to even spell the word).

A lot of his material from the 60's onwards on Reprise (a label he originated) did what the name suggests and reworked some of his old songs, but the best from that era to get IMO would be 'September of My Years' and the live album 'Sinatra at The Sands'. There's various compilations from the Reprise years which should cover what you need. The 4-CD "Reprise Collection" (released in 1990 for his 75th birthday) should do the trick

Personally, I prefer his voice as it was in the 60's to earlier.

[Edited by Gazza]
11th February 2008 05:23 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I'm pretty much the opposite. Well, not strictly true - he's a fine actor, just that for the most part its not my type of film, although theres some outstanding exceptions (Man with the Golden Arm, Manchurian Candidate etc)

To get back to the question - Sinatra's definitive albums are during the era he was on Capitol in the 50's (Only The Lonely, Songs for Swingin' Lovers, In the Wee Small Hours - 'concept' albums made before Pete Townshend would have able to even spell the word).

A lot of his material from the 60's onwards on Reprise (a label he originated) did what the name suggests and reworked some of his old songs, but the best from that era to get IMO would be 'September of My Years' and the live album 'Sinatra at The Sands'. There's various compilations from the Reprise years which should cover what you need. The 4-CD "Reprise Collection" (released in 1990 for his 75th birthday) should do the trick

Personally, I prefer his voice as it was in the 60's to earlier.

[Edited by Gazza]

I want to hug you.
11th February 2008 05:36 PM
GotToRollMe I'd recommend "Only The Lonely." It's not a compilation, but it's Sinatra at his best (with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra, no less). I got it on vinyl in the late '70s and was instantly hooked, and it blew my mind to hear Sinatra name it as his favorite in a documentary I saw in the early '90s. Ya can't go wrong with this one, HTM.

11th February 2008 05:56 PM
fireontheplatter never heard of the guy
11th February 2008 06:07 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The 4-CD "Reprise Collection" (released in 1990 for his 75th birthday) should do the trick

[Edited by Gazza]

It might of done, if it wasn't £51.49 on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reprise-Collection-Frank-Sinatra/dp/B000002LMU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202770774&sr=1-3
[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
11th February 2008 06:21 PM
Gazza I think there's a single disc of the Reprise stuff called "The Reprise Years" or something.

Edit - this is it "Reprise Years - The Selections"

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:gzfqxzrhld0e

Just checked the compilations on his page on allmusic.com.

The amount of releases since he died 10 years ago is unbelievable.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:3iftxqw5ldhe~T21
[Edited by Gazza]
11th February 2008 06:28 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle 'The Main Event' from MSG in '74 is a favorite of mine.

Love the Howard Cosell intro:
"Live, from New York, the city whose landmarks are famous all over the world, a world center for shipping, transportation, communications, finance, fashions and above all entertainment. A city that pulsates always because of the millions of people who live here, work here, visit here. And in the heart of the metropolis, the great arena: Madison Square Garden, which has created and housed so many champions, and which is why tonight from the Garden the most enduring champion of them all, Frank Sinatra, comes to the entire western hemisphere live with The Main Event: Frank Sinatra in Concert!

Madison Square Garden, October 13 1974. Jam-packed with twenty thousand people plus - just people, people from all walks of life, people who are young and people who are old, here to see, hear, pay homage to a man who has bridged four generations and somehow never found a gap.

Hello again everyone, I'm Howard Cosell, and I've been here so many times, and in a curious way, this event, live, with the king of entertainment, carries with it the breathless excitement and anticipation of a heavyweight championship fight.

Celebrities are here in profusion, one after another. Rex Harrison! Professor Higgins, if you will. Carol Channing - hello, Dolly. Walter Cronkite, Mr. Believable, and of course the great romantic hero Robert Redford, but here, coming through the same tunnel as so many champions have walked before, the great man, Frank Sinatra, who has the phrasing, who has the control, who understands the composers, who knows what losing means as so many have, who made the great comeback, who stands still, enduringly, on top of the entertainment world.

Ladies and gentlemen, from here on in it's Frank Sinatra!"

Check out the swingin' take on 'You Are The Sunshine Of My Life'.
And Sinatra introduces 'My Way' as "The National Anthem".

Great stuff...
11th February 2008 06:30 PM
Gazza Great video of that show too...
11th February 2008 06:37 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I think there's a single disc of the Reprise stuff called "The Reprise Years" or something.

Edit - this is it "Reprise Years - The Selections"

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:gzfqxzrhld0e

There's also a 20 track compilation culled from the Reprise Collection called 'Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years'.

Listening to 'Summer Wind' now...
11th February 2008 06:54 PM
glencar
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
I'd recommend "Only The Lonely." It's not a compilation, but it's Sinatra at his best (with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra, no less). I got it on vinyl in the late '70s and was instantly hooked, and it blew my mind to hear Sinatra name it as his favorite in a documentary I saw in the early '90s. Ya can't go wrong with this one, HTM.

Was he intentionally made up to look like a clown? I have the single disc Reprise collection & it's all I need.
11th February 2008 07:13 PM
robpop One of the best songs ever.

11th February 2008 07:44 PM
Sioux
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
I'd recommend "Only The Lonely." It's not a compilation, but it's Sinatra at his best (with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra, no less). I got it on vinyl in the late '70s and was instantly hooked, and it blew my mind to hear Sinatra name it as his favorite in a documentary I saw in the early '90s. Ya can't go wrong with this one, HTM.

Oh, what memories this album brings back! Just seeing the cover.... Other than R&R, I was brought up on Gershwin, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald....and the jazz piano greats {since my Dad was a jazz pianist, among other things}, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, Errol Garner.....we could start a lot of threads here...
11th February 2008 07:47 PM
glencar What about the Roy Conniff Singers?
11th February 2008 08:42 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Sioux wrote:

Ella Fitzgerald....

My absolute favorite female singer of all time.

11th February 2008 08:49 PM
glencar Mine's Amy Winehouse!
11th February 2008 08:54 PM
SweetVirginia Glenny, I have a DVD of one of her UK specials and a live boot from last year. Want me to send them to you?
11th February 2008 08:59 PM
zooeyglass
quote:
robpop wrote:
One of the best songs ever.

You know it!
11th February 2008 08:59 PM
Maxmeister I had the extreme pleasure to see him in concert in Vegas at the Golden Nugget [room held around 300] back in the very early eighties. It's one of my top concert experiences of all time.

Back then, the old Vegas ticket system was in place. You bought a ticket but had to work with the room attendant for your seat. The more you greased his palm the better the seat. We were with my wife's boss and some of his buddies who thought they were high rollers. They dropped three hundred and we were in the first row of tables.

In modern music no one does what they do better than Sinatra. One of a kind never ever duplicated.

Rick
11th February 2008 09:02 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >One of a kind never ever duplicated.<

Can't argue with that.

11th February 2008 09:09 PM
glencar Apparently, they WERE high rollers!
11th February 2008 10:25 PM
keithrichardsgirl Sinatra with Axel Stordahl in the early years was great.

But I prefer when he wasn't sucha babyface, and when you couldn't hear that babyface of his in his voice.

So I say... When it comes to Sinatra.

Capitol/Reprise all the way. (Pun not intended.)

I mean, Nelson Riddle (Along with Ava Gardner, who was the love of his life, and the loss of whom allowed and helped his voice to age to where he sang those "last call" songs with a biting piquancy never heard before or since.) was a godsend for Frank.

Besides that, I must admit I am a bit biased on the subject. (A CD called Classic Sinatra 1953-1960 was the first CD of his I owned.)

Frank is one of my earliest memories. (Anchors Aweigh, Take Me Out to the Ball Game)

If I were to add something:
Definitely go the Capitol/Reprise route. You practically cant go wrong there. (High Hopes excluded)

And if you can afford it, if you liked his movies get the Sinatra in Hollywood collection (I think its called that. I know its 1940-1964)

Any one have A Sinatra song they don't like?

Mine is Mama Will Bark.
A barking Frank Sinatra circa 1950 or so... He reached a new low then. No wonder he was pissed about it afterward.
http://www.slate.com/id/2898/
11th February 2008 10:59 PM
Sioux
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

My absolute favorite female singer of all time.

Mine too. Hands down. She was from Virginia too.... {And that's where I live now.}
11th February 2008 11:02 PM
Sioux
quote:
keithrichardsgirl wrote:

Any one have A Sinatra song they don't like?

"Strangers In The Night".....Shoo Bee Doo Bee Do....naw. Don't like it at all.
11th February 2008 11:03 PM
Sioux I agree with Gazza's choice of Sinatra albums. I think that was his peak period, for sure.
11th February 2008 11:45 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Sioux wrote:

Oh, what memories this album brings back! Just seeing the cover.... Other than R&R, I was brought up on Gershwin, Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald....and the jazz piano greats {since my Dad was a jazz pianist, among other things}, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, Errol Garner.....we could start a lot of threads here...

That's quite a pedigree - your daddy did alright by ya!
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)