ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN!!!
Jery and Brian - Tour break - Chicago, May 11, 1965
© Jeri Holloway
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is October The Month To Be Released The New Album? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
February 9th, 2005 11:09 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
You dont seem to get it.

Theres a world of difference between someone saying what they intend to do in the future and someone giving a release date for a record after its been recorded.

It doesnt matter a shit what Keith, Mick or Don Was "said" months ago about their PLANS, because the band haven't recorded to the extent that may have been expected as of today's date.

Only a few weeks ago, it was said they were going to record just after the start of the new year. They didnt.

I do find it hard to believe they'd regroup as late as June if they have ANY intention on releasing, or touring, in 2005.

Why the change I don't know. But even if they were start recording again today, there will NOT be an album as early as June, as you have suggested.

I am telling you. They have got alot done on this album already. Keith mentioned in an article a few months ago they were "finishing" an album at that point. Not just working on an album....he states he and The Stones were "finishing an album" at that time. That was a few months back. This is basically saying they had much of it done at that point. This album has been recorded on and off for a long time. Ronnie has been there off and on for them for longer than they are letting you or I know about. I really do not think they need 4 or 5 months of recording time on this thing at this point. I think they needed a few more months to top it off and wrap things up.

And I will go along with you Gazza,

-There is DEFINATELY something they are not filling us in on Gazza-

It can only be one of three things:

1. One of The Stones is not up to it for one reason or another be it health or family problems. (and please do not let this start any rumor. This is only an observation based on no evidence or hinting by them or anyone. I doubt it myself but we do have to ponder it at this point.)

2.They do not plan on touring this year at all. (The papers are already signed and the deal has been made, remember, last June.)

3.The album is for the most part finished and needs little work at this point.

I really think it is the latter. It only makes sense.

Ian
February 10th, 2005 12:18 AM
BILL PERKS WHAT IAN FAILS TO UNDERSTAND IS THAT THESE GUYS ARE 60 PLUS YEARS OLD AND HAVE LIVES OUTSIDE OF THE BAND.IF MICKS GRANDDAUGHTER HAS A SOCCER GAME IN APRIL,HE'LL PROBABLY ATTEND THAT AND BLOCK OFF TIME FOR THAT OR WHATEVER(MOVIE ROLE OR PRODUCTION)HE HAS GOING ON.MAYBE THE TOUR CANT BE INSURED UNTIL CHARLIE HAS BEEN CLEARED MEDICALLY..ALL I KNOW IS WE NEED TO STOP THINKING OF THESE GUYS AS 25 YR OLD UPSTARTS WHO NEED THE MONEY..IT SUCKS, BUT THAT'S NOT THE CASE AND YOU'LL GET WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU GET IT .
IAN- PLEASE FIND A HOBBY !!OTHER THAN SPECULATING!
February 10th, 2005 01:39 AM
IanBillen
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
WHAT IAN FAILS TO UNDERSTAND IS THAT THESE GUYS ARE 60 PLUS YEARS OLD AND HAVE LIVES OUTSIDE OF THE BAND.IF MICKS GRANDDAUGHTER HAS A SOCCER GAME IN APRIL,HE'LL PROBABLY ATTEND THAT AND BLOCK OFF TIME FOR THAT OR WHATEVER(MOVIE ROLE OR PRODUCTION)HE HAS GOING ON.MAYBE THE TOUR CANT BE INSURED UNTIL CHARLIE HAS BEEN CLEARED MEDICALLY..ALL I KNOW IS WE NEED TO STOP THINKING OF THESE GUYS AS 25 YR OLD UPSTARTS WHO NEED THE MONEY..IT SUCKS, BUT THAT'S NOT THE CASE AND YOU'LL GET WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU GET IT .
IAN- PLEASE FIND A HOBBY !!OTHER THAN SPECULATING!

I haven't specualted anything. And why do you always type in Caps?

Ian
February 10th, 2005 05:30 AM
Stonesdoug Hey Gazza--I have also been in a dead poll, the Game Gazette for the past 8 years. We pick 65 names- My pick of the year is the Pope.
February 10th, 2005 06:22 AM
prism
OCTOBER 25th. No sooner. Probably later.
February 10th, 2005 06:35 AM
F505 [quote]IanBillen wrote:

I haven't specualted anything. And why do you always type in Caps?

Ian
[/quote

Because his texts are so boring he need something to attrac attention.
February 10th, 2005 07:50 AM
BILL PERKS GOOD SPELLING F505!!!
IAN-I AM SORRY, YOUR ENDLESS OPTIMISIM IS REFRESHING!
February 10th, 2005 02:14 PM
voodoopug
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
GOOD SPELLING F505!!!
IAN-I AM SORRY, YOUR ENDLESS OPTIMISIM IS REFRESHING!

i always wondered about the all caps myself?

bring back jb
February 10th, 2005 02:38 PM
glencar The all caps thing is because he's so boring that he needs a way to stand out somehow. Still as dull as all get-out.
February 10th, 2005 03:44 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
glencar wrote:
The all caps thing is because he's so boring that he needs a way to stand out somehow. Still as dull as all get-out.

WHAT DOES AS ALL GET OUT MEAN?
February 10th, 2005 03:51 PM
voodoopug
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

WHAT DOES AS ALL GET OUT MEAN?

and what is the story behind the all caps?
February 10th, 2005 05:36 PM
Some Guy
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

and what is the story behind the all caps?

that's his thing.
February 10th, 2005 05:37 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

that's his thing.

i gotta get a thing
February 10th, 2005 05:44 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

i gotta get a thing

yes you do, and quick!
February 10th, 2005 05:56 PM
Gazza >I am telling you. They have got alot done on this album already. Keith mentioned in an article a few months ago they were "finishing" an album at that point. Not just working on an album....he states he and The Stones were "finishing an album" at that time.

considering the fact that apart from a couple of weeks in November 2004, Mick and Keith have barely been on the same continent, let alone in the same room, since November 2003, how do you suggest the band have been "finishing" this "album" ? By Instant Messenger? Carrier pigeon? ESP?

> That was a few months back. This is basically saying they had much of it done at that point.

Your interpretation. And theyve recorded how much since exactly? By the sound of it, its going to be an acoustic album, featuring Mick, Keith and Charlie on brushes or something. No one else seems to have been anywhere near a studio with them for aeons.

> This album has been recorded on and off for a long time. Ronnie has been there off and on for them for longer than they are letting you or I know about.

Nonsense. and whats this "letting" us know about stuff? Is it meant to be some kind of secret? So there have been weeks and weeks of secret full band sessions over the last year or two despite the fact that NO ONE has seen them or reported them being anywhere near a studio in that time, save for a weekend at Mick's house last May and 3 weeks in Paris in November. Sure.

>I really do not think they need 4 or 5 months of recording time on this thing at this point. I think they needed a few more months to top it off and wrap things up.

who said they needed 4 or 5 months?

To be honest the more minutiae I read about this stuff, the less I bloody care.
February 10th, 2005 06:00 PM
Some Guy my sources tell me this will be their best release ever.
February 10th, 2005 07:01 PM
Riffhard Here,here Gazza! Ian,c'mon now my man. Get real here for a minute would ya? If the Stones were working together for any extended period of time we would have heard about it for sure. Last I heard Don Was was saying back in May that what they do have in the can is great,but,and this is a BIG BUT,quote,-"We are nowhere near done and there is still a thousand and one ways to fuck it up." So there you have it Ian. The producer has stated that it's not close to completion all the way back in May.

Now,I ask ya,have we heard anything about them coming together as a group since that date? No. We have heard that Chaz went to Jagger's place(Fourchette)in France and that Ronnie may have shown up as well. However,they have not been together as a band long enough to get this thing knocked out yet. No mixing dates. Nothing. They will I'm sure,but I'm not holding my breath for a summer release just yet.

At this point it's all speculation Ian. It's nice to speculate but right now there is nothing in the way of facts to support the notion of a early summer release. In fact there are many signs that point to the fact that they have stalled on the album and the tour plans. I'm sure that it will all get sorted out,but we are going to just have to wait and see.

Riffhard
February 10th, 2005 08:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Here,here Gazza! Ian,c'mon now my man. Get real here for a minute would ya? If the Stones were working together for any extended period of time we would have heard about it for sure. Last I heard Don Was was saying back in May that what they do have in the can is great,but,and this is a BIG BUT,quote,-"We are nowhere near done and there is still a thousand and one ways to fuck it up." So there you have it Ian. The producer has stated that it's not close to completion all the way back in May.
Riffhard

actually that quote of Don Was' came from November, Riffy, not May.. Of 1,001 ways of "still fucking it up" one of them is by not doing any work on it!

Ian. Your memory seems to be selective. You agreed here a couple of weeks ago when we insisted that all that had been going on in November were demos and pre-production. With ONLY Mick, Keith and (eventually) Charlie present. no Ronnie. No Darryl. No side musicians.

All of which took place some time after these quotes of Don Was, Mick and keith that you seem to hang on so much and take as gospel, despite the obvious fact that they were uttered as little more than statements of intent.

If their album was in such an advanced stage, why would they spending 2-3 weeks at their most recent session just doing demos and working on rough sketches of loads of new songs with only 3 people in attendance?
February 10th, 2005 08:21 PM
Bob Tamp I think with U2, Paul M, and possibly Bruce out on the road, that the Stones should stall until early 2006.
February 10th, 2005 08:24 PM
glencar Hey mate, they ain't getting any younger! Tour now!
February 10th, 2005 08:30 PM
Gazza agreed

personally i think they should tour regularly but for shorter periods, a la Dylan.

say 4 periods of 1 month every year, 15-18 shows each time

keeps the machine well oiled and they wont need that 5-6 weeks rehearsal every time they tour. also leaves them 7-8 months of the year to do other things they choose to do

and allows them to record as and when they feel like it and not be tied to this record the album/go on the road/take a long break afterwards cycle
February 10th, 2005 08:45 PM
glencar They were able to record songs on previous tours. Why can't they do it these days? Does the writing muse visit less as one ages?
February 10th, 2005 10:32 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
Hey mate, they ain't getting any younger! Tour now!

It's all about the money, they can wait another year by $10 more millions.
February 11th, 2005 01:33 AM
IanBillen
quote:
glencar wrote:
They were able to record songs on previous tours. Why can't they do it these days? Does the writing muse visit less as one ages?

They recorded several songs on the Licks tour last time out. Keith said they even recorded hotel rooms in Uncut Magazine last year. So yes they did that this time out for the first tour in a while with alot of recording going on.

Ian
February 11th, 2005 01:41 AM
IanBillen Gazza,
How do we know there were only three people at Micks in November? None of us know if there we're 3 or 20 or 30 people? None of us attended. Atleast not to my knowledge.

Don Was didn't say they were far off. He just noted it wasn't done and there are 1000 different ways to fuck it up.

Also we had no idea they were even there. They were in the studio in June of last year as well. We don't know what they do. They could be recording as we speak and we would not know until well after the fact.

Take for instance this: They very much recorded all through The Licks Tour. That is FACT. Maybe they are using some of those recordings or who knows what?

Regardless, I think your right on this Gazza. No sense in beating it to death. We will know when we know. We have no control over it so I guess all we can do is hope until we get an official word. I do agree with you alot of the time.
This time I'll beg to differ a bit is all.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
February 11th, 2005 04:54 AM
Gazza I'd have thought it was obvious that I meant three people working in the studio in November, ie making music. Mick, Keith, Charlie = 3. Read the quotes from around that time. No one else involved. Common knowledge.

If these extensive recording 'sessions' by the band - which were more likely little more than demos or backing tracks considering they were 'recorded in hotel rooms' - took place 'throughout' a 14 month tour, they'd hardly need to be working on demos of new songs in November 2004, would they?

We dont know when and if they are recording? The fact that at least one of the band is in the papers every few days would give a good indication as to their whereabouts. If they're not even in the same country as each other, its kinda difficult to be 'recording together' I would imagine. Mick, Keith and Ronnie's whereabouts in the last month have been quite well documented.

I give up.
[Edited by Gazza]
February 11th, 2005 05:30 AM
FotiniD I don't understand why we all get so worked up with "maybe this" and "maybe that". Ok, it's been a while, we need a tour and an album soon, but guys, whatever will be will be! We just have to wait and see! It's not going to take years, it's all a matter of months and then they will come back with a tour and an album. What's all the worrying about?

We've waited almost eight years for a new album - I don't mind waiting for a few more months.
February 11th, 2005 05:33 AM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'd have thought it was obvious that I meant three people working in the studio in November, ie making music. Mick, Keith, Charlie = 3. Read the quotes from around that time. No one else involved. Common knowledge.

If these extensive recording 'sessions' by the band - which were more likely little more than demos or backing tracks considering they were 'recorded in hotel rooms' - took place 'throughout' a 14 month tour, they'd hardly need to be working on demos of new songs in November 2004, would they?

We dont know when and if they are recording? The fact that at least one of the band is in the papers every few days would give a good indication as to their whereabouts. If they're not even in the same country as each other, its kinda difficult to be 'recording together' I would imagine. Mick, Keith and Ronnie's whereabouts in the last month have been quite well documented.

I give up.
[Edited by Gazza]

Hey G-Man : - )

Don't give up because of this guy Bro ! You and I both know what's going on via educated guesses, take comfort in that. No offense to Ian but does anybody remember that during the 40 Licks sessions Ian went on and on about how he read there were "20 tracks recorded" and how he posted that there would be a "brand new album" and both YOU and I told him, (I'm paraphrasing this in "my" dialect : - ) "Dude, they are only going to release about 3 tracks, TOPS" (so we were off by one !) Ian, pay attention to what Gazza and I are telling you.

Here's my latest for Ian:
Ian, I know you are a rabid fan and what not. I am NOT professing to have any "inside" knowledge, (none that I'll publically admit to you) but here's the deal dude; based on my educated guess (Gazza or anybody else here who "knows" can vouch for my "Stones IQ") The Stones are NOT even CLOSE to releasing anything. I don't care WHAT you've read by Don Was or Keith. The reality is that all of the stuff you've read about are nothing more than demos or very rough sketch tracks at best. You want an actual ACCURATE indicator of WHEN the Stones working tape tracks actually START to resemble finished songs ? Figure out WHERE Darryll Jones is. (that's the magic indicator) And before you say, "yeah but...Keith or Ronnie could.....derrrr..." They're NOT going to fucking play EVERY God Damn Bass track dude. Also as Gazza implied cryptically, When Mick is showing up in LA and elsewhere for fucking awards shows, it's obvious that The Stones are NOT on the front burner right now.

Here's my educated guess of a timeline. (and DON'T quote me on this)

Studio time: Late March - June 2005
Mixing & Mastering time: June - July 2005
Tour Rehearsal time:July - Aug 2005
Tour Opener:Late Aug-Early Sept 2005

Hey now, speculate about something else and give Gazza a break !!

Later, Cardinal Fang : - )

[Edited by Cardinal Fang]
February 11th, 2005 05:38 AM
Gazza LOL. Thanks for your valuable insight, as always.

I didnt mean it it sound like I was pissed at Ian, personally. I find the dude quite personable. You sure it's the same person you were discussing this with re: "40 Licks" though, because Ian has only been registered here for a year.

Enjoyed the Cd, Jimmy. Hopefully, I'll get that Oakland '89 thing out to you asap!
February 11th, 2005 05:54 AM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
Gazza wrote:
LOL. Thanks for your valuable insight, as always.

I didnt mean it it sound like I was pissed at Ian, personally. I find the dude quite personable. You sure it's the same person you were discussing this with re: "40 Licks" though, because Ian has only been registered here for a year.

Enjoyed the Cd, Jimmy. Hopefully, I'll get that Oakland '89 thing out to you asap!

Actually, I think it was over at Gasland. I too mean no offense to Ian. I just remember how he went on during the 40 licks sessions about how he read that the Stones had (something like) 35 tracks in the can and THEREFORE we were going to get a new album in addition to the Greatest Hits album because "they wouldn't tour on "just" a greatest hits album AND he read they had 30 songs recorded according to whoever, so we "must be getting a new album" (surely somebody else remembers this ?) Myself and somebody else tried to nicely explain this was just the usual Stones press bullshit and you can't really put too much into it.

MY POINT is that he wasn't too keen on listening to wiser people then and I don't think he will now. (what do I know ? Maybe I'll be wrong about that ?) Ian is a fan and I think he is letting "wishful thinking" get the best of him, that I'm sure of ! Nothing wrong with being a Stones fan.

Glad YOU of all people liked the CD !! Can't wait for the mail !!

Later, JW : - )
Page: 1 2 3 4
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood