ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Francesco Scavullo
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 'Tribute' bands Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-14-04 06:14 PM
DG81 Just got back from seeing the 'Rollin' Clones' - UK based 'tribute' act. They were fucking hillarious - tongue firmly in cheek (Mick Jogger, Keef Ripp Off etc) - and quite good musically. I was just wondering if there are any other good acts like this. I know it doesn't come close, but anything in these bleak, dark, non-touring days helps!!
02-14-04 06:31 PM
mac_daddy there was an act out here called Sticky Fingers. They werent bad - fully ensconsed(sp) in the 70's era stones. They played a New Year's party I went to several years ago. Pretty good musically...

I was more impressed with the funkee hippeez - a white funk cover band that gets dressed up like Bootsy and George, and they really do tear tha roof off the sucka!!!

speaking of tribute bands, there was another act - dread zeppelin that used to always play around here: reggae takes on Zep tunes. I found them to be unbearable, but alot of people here thought they were the sh*t...

there is a floyd cover band that alot of people think is great; I've passed (for like 15 years), and I can't remember their name)...

and then there was Diver Down, covering another local act (Van Halen), and to be honest with you, I would rather see them than any VH lineup that features Hagar or that guy from Extreme...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
02-14-04 06:35 PM
Gazza Mac

When I was in LA for the Stones "Licks" shows over hallowe'en 2002, I saw Sticky Fingers at the Whiskey A Go-Go. Its the only time I've seen a tribute band. Oddly enough, the opening act was a Pink Floyd tribute band, "Which One's Pink"...maybe thats the one youre thinkin' of?

SF werent bad if you like that kind of thing. It's not a bad night out, I guess...

However, having seen the Stones play such a fantastic show in Anaheim the night before, I guess it was hard to appreciate them. Maybe the best time to see these type of shows is BETWEEN tours!

The Rolling Clones are playing near me in about 6 weeks or so. Maybe I'll check it out.
02-14-04 06:43 PM
glencar I've seen a tribute band or two & they were pretty lame. I'd rather see solo efforts from the Stones.
02-14-04 06:45 PM
mac_daddy that's funny, Gazza. it is indeed a small world...

02-14-04 06:48 PM
glencar The band I saw was in Las Vegas but I can't remember their name for the life of me. Did SF have a Marianne doppelganger?
02-14-04 06:55 PM
Gazza not to my knowledge!

when i threw a mars bar onstage, nothin happened so I guess not!
02-14-04 07:12 PM
glencar LOL I gotta call a friend for that other band's name...
02-14-04 07:26 PM
UGot2Rollme the Blushing Brides rocked our world during Stones HBO weekend in NYC last January. It was the night before the Jan. 18 show, very cold outside but warm in the Shidoobee environs of the Tribeca club. Very Good Band.
02-14-04 07:28 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat There is only 1 tribute band!

FLIP THE SWITCH

www.fliptheswitch.nl
02-14-04 07:32 PM
Gazza >LOL I gotta call a friend for that other band's name...

well the Mike Hunt Band (geddit?)has a female singer with blonde hair and I think they're based around your neck of the woods..maybe its them?
02-14-04 07:42 PM
DG81 Gazza - go and see the 'Clones'..you'll piss yourself Mate!!!
02-14-04 07:44 PM
glencar Nah, I haven't seen the Mike Hunt Band although I'm interested in the prospect.
02-14-04 11:10 PM
M.O.W.A.T. I like the Blushing Brides. Their singer Maurice does have a passing resemblance to Mick. It was great last seeing them in Ottawa -- it was almost as if the band were catering to the Shidoobee gathering (well, ok, just myself, Stonesdoug and one other). They pretty much played the songs we wanted to hear -- especially my faves and the ones i've never heard performed live by the Stones.
02-14-04 11:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot Tribute bands. Where to start.

I have nothing against tribute bands per se. Obviously, they are quite popular or there wouldn't be so many of them. I can't really blame a musician for joining one because I'm sure it pays pretty well. They aren't really my cup of tea though.

My main problem is not so much with the bands that don't try to look like the band they are doing the tribute to, but with the bands that do the costuming and hairstyles and posturing. Total lack of creativity. For the life of me, I can't figure out why a talented musician would want to waste his time doing note perfect copies of other people's songs, dress like them, act like them, talk like them. If you are gonna do a cover, bring your own bands flavor and creativity to it. If I want to hear a note perfect version of Midnight Rambler, I'll put on Let It Bleed. I'm always far more interested in how musicians will interpret a different musicians art. What nuances they will choose to bring out, subtle changes in the arrangements, what voice they choose to give the song. It's still a cover song, but it's approached in a creative manner. That is the key for me. I see no creativity in dressing up like someone else and playing their songs just like they are on the albums.

This is why I don't mind bands like Mike Hunt and Blushing Brides...or even Fleabit's part time Stones outfit. They take a creative approach to the songs, yet still capture the essential spirit of them. But honestly, that is how any band, not just "tribute" bands, should approach a cover song.

In my opinion anyway.
02-15-04 12:02 AM
Soul Survivor Sir Stonesalot, man do i love reading your posts. You make such good points. I agree with you.

Tribute Bands.....i dont really think much of them. Why do I need to hear other people who ONLY do a certain bands song when I can just listen to the real thing
02-16-04 04:41 PM
jb Feb 20,21, and 22 the tribute group "Satisfaction" will be playing the St. Coleman Italian Festival at 1200 S. Federal Highway in Pompano Beach, Fl. Admission and parking is free.
[Edited by jb]
02-16-04 04:57 PM
swapwoodfortaylor Oh Sir Stonesalot. Shame on you! Watch http://www.rollinstoned.com/
They do stuff what Keef sadly can't do now and Ronnie never could and sure as Hell never will!
I'm so grateful that someone can play Brian Jones note perfect with an appropriate Keef alongside. I do hate the element of humour though. (I may be talking more shit than ususal....as the core of the two bands with similar names in the UK have changed line-ups. Which-ever one still has THE Brian.....go see!).
02-17-04 08:39 AM
Doxa I lost my stones tribute band -virginity last Saturday in Barcelona. There was playing a Catalan band named "Smoking Stones" and I liked the show very much.. the singer knew all the Jagger-manoeuvres and it was very entertaining; Spanish "crowds" - a small club really - do know how to dig the music, and it surely was worth of 10 Euros. I was drunk also..

A nice experience it was (if I remember right).

-Doxa
02-17-04 08:50 AM
Jumacfly do fliptheswitch play in NL during first week of march??
02-17-04 11:22 AM
SeerSuckersuit I've got nothing against an evening of Stones Music, drinking and dancing between tours ...

Seeing Sticky Fingers for a lousy $10 entry it makes a pretty enjoyable night out ...

There is a group of Shidoobee's in the Los Angeles area that get together for a lot of Sticky Shows ...

People that have seen more than a few tribute bands say they are the best ...

Check out their schedule stickyfingers
02-17-04 11:32 AM
mac_daddy haven't seen those guys for years...

I should go tape the show @ 14 Below

02-17-04 11:36 AM
telecaster I am currently in a "Milli Vanilli" tribute band

Pays the bills
02-17-04 12:11 PM
Joey " I am currently in a "Milli Vanilli" tribute band

Pays the bills "

You make Joey sniggle .

Oh , AND :

02-17-04 12:19 PM
telecaster joey the money is rolling in off our new well

The fish are jumping and the cotton is high

Let's reward ourselves and knock off early and hit
the "Big D"

Leave your car, I will have one of the ranchhands drive us

Have your gal call my gal

Ye haw!

Oh and BTW, tribute bands blow chunks
[Edited by telecaster]
02-17-04 12:27 PM
telecaster http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2691650515&category=31387

joey FYI!
02-17-04 12:38 PM
Joey " Let's reward ourselves and knock off early and hit
the "Big D"

Leave your car, I will have one of the ranchhands drive us

Have your gal call my gal

Ye haw! "

Yes , sounds good Tele .

I believe Jeb Ames and Willie Joe Garr are interested in drinking with us this afternoon too . Tell your wife you will be late for dinner .

Jock !
02-17-04 01:22 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
do fliptheswitch play in NL during first week of march??

Nope, Amsterdam March 27. Why, are you coming to Holland?
02-17-04 01:33 PM
egon i always enjoy the "egon van de vrugt tribute band".
they do some mean gigs in the shower from time to time.
02-17-04 01:38 PM
Angiegirl Whahaha, that link in your signature is very stress-relieving Egon .
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH