ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Forum, Montreal July 17, 1972
© Harold Whyte with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Flogging A Dead Horse #327 - Made in the Shade/Sucking In the 70's to be reissued on CD Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 4th, 2005 09:23 PM
Gazza
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:

The irony!

Hey Gazza, do you think it's possible that this might have something to do with the split between Virgin and ABKCO? Like maybe now ABKCO will get the counts of units sold or something of that matter (and possibly Virgin got counts for the previous years)? I'm not sure how all of that contractual BS works with this, but I'm thinking that this has something to do with it.

I've absolutely no idea, mate. I'm as much in the dark as you with that ABCKO/Virgin EMI stuff as well.

Like Soldatti says, the 4th issue/reissue of a repackaged album in under 2 and a half years - plus the reissues within the last year of 3 long deleted compilations that were supposed to have been rendered obsolete by the issue of "40 Licks" and the three Decca CD singles boxed sets, (which to be fair, at least showed some degree of imagination that the Virgin repackages lacked) - and of course the release of a live album which was basically an edited audio soundtrack of a year old DVD.

You'd be forgiven for thinking the Stones were already dead. This nonsense is as bad as the way RCA used to endlessly repackage Elvis' material. At least, being dead, he had an excuse and couldnt really be blamed for it.
February 4th, 2005 09:29 PM
Gazza
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Rolled Gold Vol. 2, what else?

I did hear a story a while back that Rolled Gold (which was a 1975 Decca compilation - the UK equivalent of "Hot Rocks" for those who dont know, albeit with some different tracks) was going to be finally issued on CD. Dont know if its true, though.

personally, I think the post-1970 period has been cashed-in on in a worse way than Decca ever did.

remember the fuss a few months ago when it was rumoured that one disc from "live licks" was going to consist of a "best of" selection from previous live albums?....in all seriousness, would you put it past them to release something like that? I wouldnt!
February 4th, 2005 09:40 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
This nonsense is as bad as the way RCA used to endlessly repackage Elvis' material. At least, being dead, he had an excuse and couldnt really be blamed for it.

Talking about re-issues, Elvis is #1 on the UK singles chart for a 4th non consecutive week, from 5 re-issues only 1 missed the #1...
February 4th, 2005 09:44 PM
Madafaka
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:
The world's gone fucking mad.

I never have been so in agreement with a post!
February 8th, 2005 07:56 PM
corgi37 It is more funny than anything else. The 1st Stones stuff i got was a Decca box set for Christmas in '78. Came with a neat t-shirt. Had 6 albums. 1 band member on the cover of each album, and a band pic on the other.

Made in the shade might have actually been my next purchase. I must have played it so much, the needle would just go through it. The best thing i remember about "MADE" was that when i took it to a mates place, his mum would comment on how lovely Angie was. She couldnt believe it was a song by the dirty, nasty Stones. Also, i loved playing it on his stereo, because he had a fault somewhere. So, when Brown Sugar came on, the vocals were missing! It was awesome to just hear the backing track. To this day, i cant imagine what was wrong his his little 3 in 1 system.

Why dont ABCKO release a definative Ya ya's? Add stuff like Gimme Shelter and Satisfaction. That is more interesting to me than live licks. Which, btw, i STILL have not bought. Aint even interested. Ok, i downloaded disc 2, but i aint ashamed.

It means the unimaginative fuckers dont get a cent from me!
February 9th, 2005 01:41 AM
glencar Of course, this reissue sucks. But anyway, who's that on the cover of Made In The Shade? Bowie? Jagger?
February 9th, 2005 06:04 AM
Stray Cat UK THE ROLLING STONES

The greatest compilation band in the world !

Next a reissue series of Decca compilations:

Around and Around
Slow Rollers
Solid Rock
Gimme Shelter
Rolled Gold (I wouldn't mind that one)
Rock n rollers

etc. etc.

jesus !

Bring something NEW out or.....................retire !

I never thought I'd say that.

sc uk
February 9th, 2005 11:33 AM
Nasty Habits Remember that compilation "Gimme Shelter" that was made to look like the soundtrack to the movie but was really like a side of Got Live if You Want It and a side of Ya Ya's?

I think they should rerelease that!
February 9th, 2005 05:54 PM
stonedinaustralia there's one old decca compilation that would be worth re-releasing on CD (which i don't think it has been) is "No Stone Unturned" - a nice collection of b sides including the stutastic "stoned" - and the off the wall "who's driving your plane"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
February 9th, 2005 06:25 PM
corgi37 I had that Gimme SHelter record. TOssed it out years ago. Thats the one with essentially a b&w pic of Jagger on the cover, but his lips painted red.

That would have to be one of the worst, most blatent examples of a rip-off there ever was.

There was another compilation that i had, that had the Italian version of As tears go by.

And, along with Rolled GOld, there was one called 30 Greatest hits of the Rolling Stones.
February 9th, 2005 06:30 PM
stonedinaustralia corgi - think your mistaken - i remember that record of which you speak - i think that was called "stoned" or "stones" whatever something very unoriginal

the "gimme shelter" record nasty is talking about had a live shot from 69/70
February 9th, 2005 09:51 PM
Soldatti Gimme Shelter
(September 1971, UK peak: #19)

Side a:
1. Jumpin' Jack Flash.
2. Love In Vain.
3. Honky Tonk Women.
4. Street Fighting Man.
5. Sympathy For The Devil.
6. Gimme Shelter.

Side b: (from Got Live If You Want It! American version)
1. Under My Thumb.
2. Time Is On My Side.
3. I've Been Loving You Too Long.
4. Fortune Teller.
5. Lady Jane.
6. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.
February 10th, 2005 06:58 PM
Lil Brian Where is "I Think I'm Going Mad" or "Brown Sugar 12/CSB" or "Through the Lonely Nights" on CD?
Can we at least have the officially released stuff on CD?
February 10th, 2005 07:40 PM
corgi37 Yeah, your right SIA.
February 10th, 2005 08:49 PM
glencar I remember the excitement I used to feel when I would purchase foreign compilations. In the US, we had quite a few but the foreign ones looked much better & generally included the more obscure songs. I paid a pretty penny for a German 4 LP collection that featured "Stoned" & "Lacrime Italiano" & other tasty bits. Now its the same ol' shit recycled every few years.
February 11th, 2005 07:26 AM
egon
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Christ on a fucking bike....what next?

you know what's next gazza....
February 11th, 2005 07:28 AM
egon
quote:
Gazza wrote:

werent the versions on 40 Licks ALREADY re-mastered?

What the fuck's this? Remasters remastered??

not the ones after 1970 (disc 2) i think
February 12th, 2005 04:43 AM
corgi37 Were'nt the ones after 1970 remasted 10 years ago for the re-issue of the cd's with the original album cover format? Because i have a doco on VHS with Keith and Mick talking about re-mastering & re-mixing stuff like Tumbling Dice.

And, wasnt Jump Back full of re-mastered versions when it came out?
February 12th, 2005 07:12 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
And, wasnt Jump Back full of re-mastered versions when it came out?

Yes it was. It was released in 1993 to coincide with the remasterd Virgin back catolouge.

Alex
February 13th, 2005 06:34 AM
JaggerLips I have placed my order on amazon for Sucking in the Seventies, been dying to get hold of it, now I can! Can't wait to hear If I was a Dancer, (Dance Part Two)!!!!
February 13th, 2005 06:46 AM
glencar That's actually entertaining.
February 13th, 2005 12:04 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
Just a note: These are U.K. reissues. However, they will be available as IMPORTS.

Looks like I was wrong and these will be released in the US.

The release date for SITS and MITS will be April 5th in the US.
February 13th, 2005 01:19 PM
Soldatti
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:
Can't wait to hear If I was a Dancer, (Dance Part Two)!!!!

You're not missing anything.
February 13th, 2005 04:28 PM
glencar Au contraire, mon frere. Pt. 2 knocks the socks off Pt. 1!
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood