ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Forum, Montreal July 17, 1972
© Harold Whyte with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Flogging A Dead Horse #327 - Made in the Shade/Sucking In the 70's to be reissued on CD Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 3rd, 2005 03:46 PM
Gazza From the "Just when you thought they couldn't take the piss any further" department....

Not content with the worthless repackage of the last but one "Greatest Hits" from the post-1970 era, ("Jump Back"), Virgin/EMI are now going to treat us to a re-issue of the 1975 compilation "Made In The Shade" and the 1981 North American compilation "Sucking In The 70's" (which, I believe, was at least previously unavailable on CD)

The albums are being released in the UK on 21st March 2005, so presumably they'll be out in America the following day.

Both albums will be initially released as digipacks, reverting to standard jewel cases once original supplies have ran out

here's the blurb on these "essential" releases:

SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES

Something of a curio for Stones fans, Sucking In The Seventies was originally released in 1981 as an end of decade retrospective. The compilation features album cuts and rarities including the following three tracks that are unavailable elsewhere: Everything Is Turning To Gold – recorded late 1977 in Paris. The original b side to the Shattered single. When The Whip Comes Down performed live and If I Was A Dancer (Dance Part 2), co-written by Ronnie Wood, this was only released previously as a 12” promo, making this an essential album for Stones fans!

Cat #: CDVX2997

1 Shattered
2 Everything Is Turning To Gold
3 Hot Stuff
4 Time Waits For No One
5 Fool To Cry
6 Mannish Boy
7 When The Whip Comes Down (live version)
8 If I Was A Dancer (Dance part 2)
9 Crazy Mama
10 Beast Of Burden

MADE IN THE SHADE

Originally released in June 1975, Made in the Shade was a precursor to the Stones’ 1975 American tour. It covers the choice cuts from the bands first four albums of the Seventies – Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St., Goats Head Soup and It’s Only Rock n Roll. This has only been available briefly on CD in the mid Eighties and is long sought after by collectors. A great introduction to the Stones early 70's output.

Cat #: CDVX2998

1 Brown Sugar
2 Tumbling Dice
3 Happy
4 Dance Little Sister
5 Wild Horses
6 Angie
7 Bitch
8 It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll
9 Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
10 Rip This Joint
February 3rd, 2005 03:56 PM
telecaster Tell me this is a joke. Please
February 3rd, 2005 03:58 PM
Poplar
For God's sake.
February 3rd, 2005 04:36 PM
ResidentMule no, 70's was already out on CD. at least that's got a few songs that weren't on the albums, Dance Pt 2 & Everything Turns To Gold (neither worth having) and When The Whip Comes Down live. not nearly the waste of shelf space Jump Back was.
I wouldn't have a problem with either of these being rereleased if they DID IT ALONG WITH SACDS OF THE POST 1970 ALBUMS
February 3rd, 2005 04:39 PM
voodoopug
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
no, 70's was already out on CD. at least that's got a few songs that weren't on the albums, Dance Pt 2 & Everything Turns To Gold (neither worth having) and When The Whip Comes Down live. not nearly the waste of shelf space Jump Back was.
I wouldn't have a problem with either of these being rereleased if they DID IT ALONG WITH SACDS OF THE POST 1970 ALBUMS

nice to see sucking in the seventies coming out, just for the killer version of whip! no real need for Made in the Shade though
February 3rd, 2005 04:45 PM
Madafaka More of the same! Will be this reissued on SACD at least?
I have those two cds from the original editions.
February 3rd, 2005 04:57 PM
Jumacfly I ve heard the version of "whip" is from the same source than "Handsome Girls"..is it correct??
a killer version for sure !!
February 3rd, 2005 05:03 PM
doo doo doo Dude Wouldn't be as bad if they combined them to a single disc. I'm sure Rewind & Time Waits For No One are next.
February 3rd, 2005 05:08 PM
Gazza
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
More of the same! Will be this reissued on SACD at least?

nope

quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
I ve heard the version of "whip" is from the same source than "Handsome Girls"..is it correct??

yes

quote:
Doo Doo Doo Dude wrote:
Wouldn't be as bad if they combined them to a single disc. I'm sure Rewind & Time Waits For No One are next.

I wouldnt doubt that for one minute. Then they can put out a compilation CD taken from the compilations (including the two versions of "40 Licks" with the two different versions of "Sympathy")

February 3rd, 2005 05:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
no, 70's was already out on CD. at least that's got a few songs that weren't on the albums, Dance Pt 2 & Everything Turns To Gold (neither worth having) and When The Whip Comes Down live. not nearly the waste of shelf space Jump Back was.

thanks for clarifying. As the original album was only available here (UK) as an import, I assumed it wasnt available on CD. I've never seen a CD of it, so I presume it was a North America-only release as well
February 3rd, 2005 05:12 PM
Jumacfly
I wouldnt doubt that for one minute. Then they can put out a compilation CD taken from the compilations (including the two versions of "40 Licks" with the two different versions of "Sympathy")

[/quote]

"40 back sucking in the shade" could fit in.
February 3rd, 2005 06:17 PM
White House Lawn I sold my original SUCKING CD for a decent amount on eBay a few years back ($40). Kept AAC audio files of the three "rarities." If the whole thing is remastered nicely, I'd re-buy just those three tracks from the iTunes Music Store, 'natch!

SHADE was one of my first Stones' purchases (after SOME GIRLS and LOVE YOU LIVE). I played the shit out of it as a young'un and seeing that sequencing list brings about a bit of odd deja-vue. I think I'll make an iPod playlist of those tracks from the regular albums--just to take a trip down Memory Lane!
February 3rd, 2005 10:06 PM
Soldatti I understand the re-issue of Sucking In The Seventies, but Made In The Shade? Gimme a break...
February 3rd, 2005 10:12 PM
Lazy Bones Rewind will be next.
February 3rd, 2005 10:24 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Rewind will be next.

and Stone Age, Gimme Shelter, Milestones, Rock'n Rolling Stones, No Stone Unturned, Get Stoned, Story Of The Stones...
February 3rd, 2005 10:35 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

"40 back sucking in the shade" could fit in.
[/quote]

Actually, if you think about it, Hot Rocks (part 1 & 2) was a compilation of both Big Hits and Through The Past Darkly (along with a couple of extra singles) and the London Box Set was similarly a compilation of both Hot Rocks albums. So there ya have it!
February 3rd, 2005 10:39 PM
Egbert Rewind has one thing going for it: full length tracks - no single edits. Should've included She's So Cold in place of Hang Fire though.
February 3rd, 2005 11:07 PM
Snappy McJack Just a note: These are U.K. reissues. However, they will be available as IMPORTS.

http://www.pauseandplay.com/22march2005.htm (located in the blue section)
February 3rd, 2005 11:10 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Both albums will be initially released as digipacks, reverting to standard jewel cases once original supplies have ran out

Would be funny if they didn't have to make the standard jewel case editions! I'm sure that just might happen.
February 4th, 2005 12:26 AM
Soldatti Hot Rocks was, is and will be the best Stones compilation EVER, Forty Licks is close but the "magic" of Hot Rocks is unique.
February 4th, 2005 05:01 AM
Gazza
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:

Actually, if you think about it, Hot Rocks (part 1 & 2) was a compilation of both Big Hits and Through The Past Darkly (along with a couple of extra singles) and the London Box Set was similarly a compilation of both Hot Rocks albums. So there ya have it!

yeah but remember the days when the Stones use to bitch and moan about Decca/London endlessly repackaging old material? -they even took out full page ads when "Stone Age" came out distancing themselves from this 'inferior' product!

They've ended up much worse than Decca ever were.
[Edited by Gazza]
February 4th, 2005 05:10 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Hot Rocks was, is and will be the best Stones compilation EVER, Forty Licks is close but the "magic" of Hot Rocks is unique.

true. my first stones record...amazing selection on "hot rocks 2"
February 4th, 2005 12:29 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Hot Rocks was, is and will be the best Stones compilation EVER, Forty Licks is close but the "magic" of Hot Rocks is unique.

Agreed Soldatti. Hot Rocks was my very first Stones purchase.

I bought it when I was 15 and I don't THINK I had a cd player then, so I got it on cassete. I remember it being a toss up betwenn that and Bridges To Babylon. I was desperate to hear the new Stones album, but I rightly plugged for the oldies collection.

Alex
February 4th, 2005 12:37 PM
Snappy McJack Hey guys! On February 15th ABKCO is releasing a remastered version of "Forty Licks"! Hell yeah!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007LPSAO/pauplathemuss-20/102-3344732-3647302
February 4th, 2005 12:49 PM
Gazza Christ on a fucking bike....what next?
February 4th, 2005 01:21 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Christ on a fucking bike....what next?

Rolled Gold Vol. 2, what else?

February 4th, 2005 02:58 PM
stewed & Keefed The world's gone fucking mad.
February 4th, 2005 07:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
Hey guys! On February 15th ABKCO is releasing a remastered version of "Forty Licks"! Hell yeah!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007LPSAO/pauplathemuss-20/102-3344732-3647302

werent the versions on 40 Licks ALREADY re-mastered?

What the fuck's this? Remasters remastered??
February 4th, 2005 09:01 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Gazza wrote:

werent the versions on 40 Licks ALREADY re-mastered?

What the fuck's this? Remasters remastered??

The irony!

Hey Gazza, do you think it's possible that this might have something to do with the split between Virgin and ABKCO? Like maybe now ABKCO will get the counts of units sold or something of that matter (and possibly Virgin got counts for the previous years)? I'm not sure how all of that contractual BS works with this, but I'm thinking that this has something to do with it.
February 4th, 2005 09:07 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
Hey guys! On February 15th ABKCO is releasing a remastered version of "Forty Licks"! Hell yeah!

That's the fourth Forty Licks version, I think.
I'm surprised?
No...
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood