ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image and watch the show!
© Marcelo Sayao/ZUMA with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones at Live Aid Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 15th, 2006 06:14 PM
Soldatti The whole show sucked big time, Mick looked like a clown and Keith, Ronnie and Bob even worse.
The only act that kicked ass was Queen, the crowd was on fire with them too.
February 15th, 2006 06:15 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
texile wrote:
dylan, keith and ronnie were a joke - a travesty.

but they looked so feckin cool
February 15th, 2006 06:17 PM
nanatod "The whole show sucked big time"

Soldatti, buy the dvd; there is one great performance after another in the ten hours of music. Just the transitions from band to band are fun to watch. For example, the slow mellowness of Marc Knofler into the frenetic set by Thorogood and Albert Collins. Or the goofiness of Run DMC. Or the contrast between Ozzy Osborne having to get up so early in the morning to lead Black Sabbath compared to Rob Halford and Judas Priest looking like they've been waiting years to rock out. Or the musicians who are no longer with us.

[Edited by nanatod]
[Edited by nanatod]
February 15th, 2006 06:28 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
nanatod wrote:

Or the musicians who are no longer with us.

Adam Ant
Paul Young
The Hooters
Rick Springfield
The Boomtown Rats
Spandau Ballet
Billy Ocean
Simple Minds
Kenny Loggins
Phil Collins
The Cars
Power Station
Thompson Twins
and, of course, The Who.

they are all dearly missed.

we never see such a massive collection of crap bands at one musical event ever again
February 15th, 2006 06:46 PM
monkeyman62
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
oh yes indeed.... anytime you can sing "Its Only Rock & Roll" during a medley of "State Of Shock" with Hall & Oats backing you, it most certainly kicks ass.

I meant jaggers performance was intense, i dont care about
hall n oates either, but mick was on fire
February 15th, 2006 06:48 PM
Soldatti
quote:
nanatod wrote:
"The whole show sucked big time"

Soldatti, buy the dvd; there is one great performance after another in the ten hours of music. Just the transitions from band to band are fun to watch. For example, the slow mellowness of Marc Knofler into the frenetic set by Thorogood and Albert Collins. Or the goofiness of Run DMC. Or the contrast between Ozzy Osborne having to get up so early in the morning to lead Black Sabbath compared to Rob Halford and Judas Priest looking like they've been waiting years to rock out. Or the musicians who are no longer with us.

[Edited by nanatod]

[Edited by nanatod]

I have the DVD mate, and I don't like the show at all. Some decent performances, but bad overall.
February 15th, 2006 06:50 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
monkeyman62 wrote:

i dont care about hall n oates either, but mick was on fire

flaming!

February 15th, 2006 07:08 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The whole show sucked big time, Mick looked like a clown and Keith, Ronnie and Bob even worse.
The only act that kicked ass was Queen, the crowd was on fire with them too.

Freddie Mercury STOLE that show!!!!

I loved that fag!!

February 15th, 2006 07:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I have the interview with Woody in a Dylan book at home..will check it later..not sure if it was that one..as I recall it, Woody quickly talked him out of playing the unrehearsed song he suggested!

Ok..checked...the song Bob suggested at the last minute was "All I Really Wanna Do"

More from Woody's interview with John Bauldie:

Could you go over the story of how you came to play with Bob at Live Aid?

I was friendly with Gary Shafner....who used to take all of Bob's problems on his shoulders. He'd do all his bookings and arrangements and he'd hide Bob, make him disappear and so on..I said "what's happening with Bob?", and Gary said "well he's in New York and he doesnt know what to do tonight. Do you think you two could get together?" And I said, "Well I live here, man - get him over to my house". So he calls back and says "yeah, Bob wants to come. Is it alright if he brings his son Sam?" I said "sure", so they turned up in an old station wagon and I was playing Max Miller, the old music hall comedian, and Bob had a laugh and I had to make him a tape up. Anyway, I rang Keith and said "Get on over here. Bob's over here.". And Keith said "Why?", so I said "well, if you're not interested, piss off", and put the phone down.

Later in the evening, Bob says "I'm playing in Philadelphia the day after tomorrow." I didnt even know about Live Aid. He says "Its a big charity thing. Bill Graham's got a band for me and I have to go along with it". Then he says "Do you think that maybe you and me could play together sometime?". I said "Sure - let's do the gig on Saturday!". He said "really?" and I said "Yeah -you dont necessarily have to go along with Bill Graham. Keith would love to do it too!". So I rang Keith up again and said "Get over here because Bob wants us to do Live Aid with him!". Keith knew about it, so I said "we're doing the gig with him on Saturday". He said "You'd better not be lying, Woody!", and I said, "No, I'm not lying. Come over here".

So Keith comes round to my house, but the first thing Bob says to him is "Are you going to Live Aid or are you going to watch it on TV?". And I've already told Keith that we were doing it! And Keith goes, "You lying bastard!" and starts as if he's going to strangle me. I'm shouting "Shut up, man!" and Bob's looking a little confused so he decides to go to the toilet. Keith's shouting "You've been telling me all this shit! Why?" I'm saying "No! I'm trying to give Bob a bit of support". Keith says, "oh man, you can never do anything right!". So I said, "Look, sit there. Stop fuming". So then Bob comes back so I rush upstairs and say "Bob - do you want us to do this on Saturday or not?" and he says "Course I do". And now, Keith's coming up the stairs to leave,and I turn Bob around and say "well, tell HIM!". And Bob says, "Hey man, will you play this gig with us?". Keith says "Of course I will". And we had a great time from there on.

How many different songs did you try out?

Let's just say that we played everything in Bob's catalogue and everything in the Stones' catalogue in those two days..

And you recorded it all?

Yeah. I'd love to know where a lot of those tapes are. I gave a lot of them to Keith and some to Bob as well. Bob started to worry because I was recording most of the time. He said "what's going to happen to those tapes?". I said "Here. THATS whats going to happen. You keep that one, I'll have this one"...Some of the rehearsal tapes from my basement on New York are incredible...When we got to the stadium he was saying, "I wonder what Bill Graham wants me to do?". We were going "Do whatyou want to do, Bob!" But he was saying, "Bill might make me do this". Very odd. He wanted to be bossed around again. Even going up the ramps - we'd decided what songs we were going to play ane he turns and says "Hey! Maybe I should do "All I Really Want To Do"!" We were going "aargh! Oh my God!". And when we got up there, they'd cut all the stage PA off and we were very confused. They were setting up behind us. And then he bust a string..And the other guitars had been packed away by the trusty roadie, so I gave him mine. We came off looking like real idiots, but I'd do it again - for Bob.

It seemed to me when I was watching it then, and again the other day, that you were alert enough to hold the thing together, but that Keith was well out of it, playing something else most of the time..

Yeah, but him and Bob were in step up there! (taps head] When I see that recording, I'm actually very proud of what Bob did that night. His words were brilliant, the songs were right - "Hollis Brown" and his starving family, "When the ship comes in" was lovely. Considering we couldnt hear what the hell each other was doing, I thought it was alright.

(Interview, from London on 29/11/88, for the Bob Dylan fanzine "The Telegraph". Republished in "Wanted Man ; In Search of Bob Dylan" (a compilation of the magazine's interviews) in 1990.
[Edited by Gazza]
February 16th, 2006 09:06 AM
nanatod "they are all dearly missed."

There are certain Mondays when I do miss the Boomtown Rats.

I had to work the Saturday of Live Aid, so my only memories of it come from the dvd, which dvd I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. I was so mad at missing Live Aid either in person (I had a close friend in Philadelphia who was well-connected in the downtown Philly business community) or on TV, that I made up for it by attending 7 Farm Aid concerts, Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary show, Washington D.C. Welcome Home Show, 2 Lollapaloozas, 2 WKQX Jamborees, 20 years of Milwaukee Summerfests and Tastes of Chicago, and between 1986 and 2003, an average of 150 live musical performances per year. And I'm not in the music business.

Saint Sway, live performance is live performance. You can't really fault any musicians performing their music live, especially in today's corporate pop world, where a ton of "musicians" don't.

Just because you and I don't like Kenny Loggins doesn't mean there aren't people out there whose boat he floats.

Also, the Hooters and Springfield didn't make the dvd.
February 16th, 2006 11:27 AM
yellerstang The Stones never do those big political shows....I think I read they just don't believe in mixing in the two. Politics is what they're trying to get away from.
February 16th, 2006 12:20 PM
monkeyman62 or maybe they are so deathly afraid of not being the best
February 16th, 2006 01:56 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

If memory serves it was Woodie...he breaks more than Keith

I thought I read in "According to the Rolling Stones" that Bob broke the string and Woody traded him guitars.
February 16th, 2006 02:55 PM
Gazza
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

I thought I read in "According to the Rolling Stones" that Bob broke the string and Woody traded him guitars.

see the Woody interview I just transcribed!
February 16th, 2006 03:00 PM
Saint Sway could you transcribe it again in a new post please.
February 16th, 2006 03:07 PM
Gazza why?
February 16th, 2006 03:09 PM
Saint Sway cuz I dont want to scroll up to read it.

just transcribe the entire interview again.

from the beggining.
February 16th, 2006 03:11 PM
Gazza No...

read up!!

or else I'll e-mail it to you!
February 16th, 2006 03:14 PM
Break The Spell Great Woody interview there, clears up many questions I had about their performance that day.
February 16th, 2006 03:15 PM
Saint Sway C'mon man. Cant you transcribe it again. Or at least the part where he says "And then he bust a string..And the other guitars had been packed away by the trusty roadie, so I gave him mine."

or better yet. Transcribe an entirely new interview with Woody. But this time nothing to do with Live Aid.

thanks
February 16th, 2006 04:56 PM
Lazy Bones The boot that contains rehearsals is "Voices Of Freedom". It also contains the intro, Hollis Brown, When The Ship Comes In and Blowin' In The Wind from Live Aid.
February 16th, 2006 05:00 PM
glencar Is it any good, LB? All I remember is how bad the stage performance was.
February 16th, 2006 05:05 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
glencar wrote:
Is it any good, LB? All I remember is how bad the stage performance was.

Still looking for it, glencar. I thought I had it but now I don't know.

...bobsboots gives it 8 stars -
http://bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-v10.html

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
February 16th, 2006 05:09 PM
glencar Thanks for the link, LB! I could spend hours there someday...
February 16th, 2006 05:11 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
glencar wrote:
Thanks for the link, LB! I could spend hours there someday...

LOL. I believe it!
February 16th, 2006 06:29 PM
mickmask
February 16th, 2006 06:45 PM
Soldatti
quote:
mickmask wrote:

Impressive.
February 16th, 2006 06:47 PM
Gazza Mick has probably had sex with at least two people in that photo - and according to Marianne Faithfull, would have liked to have done so with one of the others....!

(and no, it wasnt John Oates..)
[Edited by Gazza]
February 16th, 2006 07:33 PM
Egbert
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Mick has probably had sex with at least two people in that photo - and according to Marianne Faithfull, would have liked to have done so with one of the others....!

(and no, it wasnt John Oates..)
[Edited by Gazza]

And Bowie's not even in the picture!
February 16th, 2006 09:05 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
Gazza wrote:

see the Woody interview I just transcribed!

Sorry Gazza, I suppose that was a pretty glaring read-over on my part. However, I am certainly pleased that it made Sway's day.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)