ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image and watch the show!
© Marcelo Sayao/ZUMA with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones at Live Aid Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 15th, 2006 04:54 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Is there any reason that stones didnt play the 1985 event?

Jagger was there, Ronnie and Keith were there, why didnt they bother to do a turn?
February 15th, 2006 05:08 AM
Jumacfly those were the days where the singer and the guitarist weren't in good term (to be polite)...don't know exactly what happened ...
February 15th, 2006 05:19 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I realise that Mick and Keith were having their break up spell, but considering how ruthless the band are when it comes to marketing their music. I would have thought they would have jumped at the chance to play.
February 15th, 2006 05:30 AM
Gazza the Stones NEVER seem to play those sort of events - especially as a one-off. Whilst they did Sarstock, they were paid about $10 million for it and did so in the middle of a tour. They seem incapable as an organisation of doing anything outside of a tour situation

They were asked to do it but Keith said no. The band were recording Dirty Work in New York that summer and relationships were at an all time low. Jagger agreed to play it as a solo artist (well..his debut solo album had just come out, so why not?). Woody was asked by Dylan to join him 2 days before it took place and claimed that he wasnt even aware it was happening! He phoned Keith and he came along too.
February 15th, 2006 05:41 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Gazza wrote:
the Stones NEVER seem to play those sort of events - especially as a one-off. Whilst they did Sarstock, they were paid about $10 million for it and did so in the middle of a tour. They seem incapable as an organisation of doing anything outside of a tour situation

They were asked to do it but Keith said no. The band were recording Dirty Work in New York that summer and relationships were at an all time low. Jagger agreed to play it as a solo artist (well..his debut solo album had just come out, so why not?). Woody was asked by Dylan to join him 2 days before it took place and claimed that he wasnt even aware it was happening! He phoned Keith and he came along too.

there s an interesting bootleg of Woody, Keef and Dylan, featuring their performance at live aid and , most interesting stuff their rehearsals at Keef' appartment (if I'm correct)it's all accoustics and very different compare to the usuals boots.
February 15th, 2006 05:47 AM
egon
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The band were recording Dirty Work in New York that summer

yeah, i can see how that had priority
February 15th, 2006 05:54 AM
Gazza I think its' from Woody's apartment but I know the one you mean

I think theres 2 different tapes of it now. I had a 20-25 minute one which I got around 1990 when it first circulated. I think a 2nd one circulated in the last few years

Bill Graham had 'pushed' Dylan into performing with a band, but Bob didnt feel comfortable with the whole idea and just asked Woody to join him for a short acoustic set instead. Even right up to the last minute they were unsure what they were gonna play. When they were walking up the ramp to the stage after being introduced, Bob turned to Woody and suggested a song that they hadnt even rehearsed!

Main reason why the whole thing was such a disaster was that the 3 of them couldnt hear themselves in the monitors. The stage curtain had been pulled behind them while the all star cast were getting ready for the 'We Are The World' finale, resulting in total chaos. Matters werent helped when Woody (or was it Keith) broke a string!

The only good thing that came out of that fiasco was Dylan's between song comments about diverting some of the money to help US farmers - whilst it seemed isolationist and controversial at the time, it directly inspired Willie Nelson to launch Farm Aid, an annual series of concerts which go on to this day (Dylan played at the first Farm Aid show 10 weeks later, and his performance on THAT night was fantastic)
February 15th, 2006 06:33 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I recall hearing dylan say something about the farmers. I dont recall hearing them play anything. The sound was very bad and Ronnie and Keith looked fucking wasted!
February 15th, 2006 06:50 AM
Zack
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Main reason why the whole thing was such a disaster was that the 3 of them couldnt hear themselves in the monitors. The stage curtain had been pulled behind them while the all star cast were getting ready for the 'We Are The World' finale, resulting in total chaos. Matters werent helped when Woody (or was it Keith) broke a string!

Didn't Bob also change the song to one they hadn't even rehearsed, despite going through many, the Ballad of Hollis Brown? And Ronnie said "isn't that a kind of cough syrup?"
February 15th, 2006 06:56 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Matters werent helped when Woody (or was it Keith) broke a string!

If memory serves it was Woodie...he breaks more than Keith

February 15th, 2006 07:15 AM
glencar Live Aid was released on DVD a few years back.
February 15th, 2006 07:29 AM
Gazza
quote:
Zack wrote:

Didn't Bob also change the song to one they hadn't even rehearsed, despite going through many, the Ballad of Hollis Brown? And Ronnie said "isn't that a kind of cough syrup?"

I have the interview with Woody in a Dylan book at home..will check it later..not sure if it was that one..as I recall it, Woody quickly talked him out of playing the unrehearsed song he suggested!
February 15th, 2006 07:33 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I recall hearing dylan say something about the farmers. I dont recall hearing them play anything. The sound was very bad and Ronnie and Keith looked fucking wasted!

they played "Ballad of Hollis Brown" (which would have been a very relevant choice given the subject and a song Bob hadnt played in over a decade), "When The Ship Comes In" (which he hadnt performed in about two decades and which hes hardly played since - if at all) and "Blowin' In The Wind"

Whilst the performance was forgettable, Jack Nicholson's introduction wasnt!
February 15th, 2006 07:37 AM
glencar Ah yes, "the TRANSCENDENT Bob Dylan!!"
February 15th, 2006 08:11 AM
Gazza yes...and "IT CAN ONLY BE ONE MAN!"
February 15th, 2006 10:43 AM
nanatod "Whilst the performance was forgettable"

Anytime Bob Dylan, Ron Wood and Keith Richards want to do anything together, including playing and singing "Blowin' in the Wind" is alright by me.

The sound on the dvd of Live Aid apparently is better than that at the actual event.
February 15th, 2006 11:07 AM
Joey
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Is there any reason that stones didnt play the 1985 event?

Jagger was there, Ronnie and Keith were there, why didnt they bother to do a turn?

I don't know but THE WHO completely SUCKED that day ...

Shiver ..........................

February 15th, 2006 11:07 AM
Gazza "did you say he was TRANSCENDENT, Jack?"

[Edited by Gazza]
February 15th, 2006 11:28 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Is there any reason that stones didnt play the 1985 event?

Yes Mr.Scrounge, there is a reason. And that reason is called Hall & Oats!!!

Why would anyone play with Keith & Ronnie when they can perform in front of the entire world with the musical tandem that brought us so many great hits like "Out Of Touch","Maneater" and "Private Eyes"??

Only a fool would pass on the chance to perform with the great H2O as his backing band!! And Mick Jagger is no fool.

Its not everyday that you can have Hall & Oats as your backing band. Obviously Mick realized that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to play with a pair of musical legends and, like always, Mick seized the moment and made musical history.

Live Aid was all about making a statement.

And Mick's statement was to simulate making out with David Bowie in a music video and then strut onstage in his purple pants and gold silk shirt and rock out to "Just Another Night" with the ambiguously gay duo of Hall & Oats.

it was a brilliant career move. And it helped to show the world that he was a solo artist to be reckoned with.

I only wish he could of snuck in a few bars of "Everytime You Go Away (You Take A Piece Of Me)".
February 15th, 2006 12:24 PM
monkeyman62 you have to admit that jagger kicked ass at live aid,
great performance, and i am not a big jagger solo fan
February 15th, 2006 12:47 PM
nanatod "with the great H2O as his backing band!!'

Wasn't G.E. Smith on guitar and T. Bone Wolk on bass?
Weren't members of the Temptations singing backup to Darryl Hall?

I admit that isn't as good as playing with Keith Richards and Ron Wood, but Smith, Wolk, and the Temptations are no slouches.
February 15th, 2006 12:48 PM
Saint Sway oh yes indeed.... anytime you can sing "Its Only Rock & Roll" during a medley of "State Of Shock" with Hall & Oats backing you, it most certainly kicks ass.
February 15th, 2006 12:55 PM
nanatod "it most certainly kicks ass."

Saint Sway, it could have been worse. Jagger could have performed with Bono and U2 at Live Aid, or with Duran Duran, or REO Speedwagon.

Or, it could have been better. Albert Collins and Bo Diddley performed earlier in the day as guests of Thorogood. Imagine Jagger contributing vocals to a Diddley original.

[Edited by nanatod]
February 15th, 2006 01:07 PM
Saint Sway I dont see the difference between Hall & Oats and Duran Duran, Reo Speedwagon or U2.

there were a lot of bad choices on hand that day that he could of also performed with. So what?

He chose H2O.

He took the stage singing "Just Another Night" wearing bright pastel clothing and eye liner.

He premiered a video of him grinding with David Bowie.

He sang "State Of Shock"

He posed for photos with Lionel Richie & Madonna.

I ask you: Has he ever made a bigger ass clown of himself in one day?
February 15th, 2006 01:17 PM
nanatod "Has he ever made a bigger ass clown of himself in one day?"

Maybe Altamont?

"I dont see the difference between Hall & Oats and Duran Duran, Reo Speedwagon or U2."

Hall & Oates have more respect for rock and roll growing out of r&b tradition than the other three.

Louis Jordan to Isley Brothers to Four Tops to Temptations to Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes to Hall and Oates.

Louis Jordan to Chuck Berry to Elvis to Beatles and Stones.

[Edited by nanatod]
[Edited by nanatod]
February 15th, 2006 01:24 PM
Saint Sway I Cant Go For That (H2O) = I Cant Fight This Feeling (Reo) = Her Name Is Rio (Duran) = With Or WIthout You (U2) = Hard Woman (Mick)

same shit
February 15th, 2006 01:27 PM
nanatod She's Gone = Angie
February 15th, 2006 01:33 PM
Saint Sway you're learning
February 15th, 2006 01:36 PM
nanatod Actually, She's Gone is better than Angie, but not as good as Winter.

REO and Duran Duran don't even come close to bad Hall & Oates.

Angel of Harlem and Mysterious Ways and a couple of other U2 songs are good, but not Pride, and not With or Without You.
[Edited by nanatod]
February 15th, 2006 06:08 PM
texile jagger was actually good that night - but i might have been caught up in all the good will - which i mock now, of course.
dylan, keith and ronnie were a joke - a travesty.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)