ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A stones experiment: Twickenham on a Mega screen - IMAX format - Free experience!!!
At the biggest university in Latin América! Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Bien hecho Rogerriffin!!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Biggest collections Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-11-04 05:20 PM
Dan I will admit to not having a life.
Hundreds of records, thousands of official CDs and a few thousand more bootlegs and a few thousand more cassettes although I recently gave away hundreds.
02-11-04 05:28 PM
throbby You guys with the big collections must dread the thought of ever having to move them. Christ, some of you would need a forklift or an army of movers!
02-12-04 12:50 AM
Sir Stonesalot I know Throbby. I'm really hoping that I never have to move again.

How do you guys have all of your stuff organized?

I have everything in alphabetical order by artist. Then each artist is broken down into official releases and bootleg. Each section is then further organized into chronological order.

Since I have so much stuff, I have a few of what I call "hot stacks", or discs that are spending quite a bit of time in the cd player. I have a car stack, a downstairs stack, and an upstairs stack. My car stack has recently gone away because my speakers are shot.

So I have the organizational part down. I just need a way to store them all....and I want to see them. I don't want to hide them away in a box or something. How do I do that with limited space, and a tiny budget? I have seen some nice storage units that would fit my needs, but they only hold around 1000 cds and cost close to $200.00. I'd need 5 of them. I just can't spend $1000 on this.

Should I email those people at "Clean Sweep"? I had seriously considered that...but they make you get rid of stuff...and that is NOT an option. I'm starting to get really concerned over this. In my current set up, I have space for about an additional 150 or so discs. So by spring I'll be out of room. I have got to get this storage thing sorted out.

I'm not as bad off as my Uncle though. He has around 25,000 titles. I'm not making that up. But he has a business that affords him ample room to store most of his stuff. And he has these storage boxes that hold 500 cds. I don't want to use those ugly boxes though...I don't want to hide stuff. I want it all out where it can be seen and admired.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.
02-12-04 08:33 AM
parmeda SS...I'm going to call my friend today and ask him.
I know he has some type of floating bookcases that were custom made for him. If you are handy at woodwork, or know someone that is...this may be a good thing for you. He a huge collection as well and was in the same bind with the wife about having stuff all over the house, lol. He also has one smaller version that he totes around to the parties for easy access.

I'll get back to ya.
02-12-04 05:31 PM
Gazza >How do you guys have all of your stuff organized?

Not very tidily!

>I have everything in alphabetical order by artist. Then each artist is broken down into official releases and bootleg. Each section is then further organized into chronological order.

me too..although I keep the bootleg stuff separate because a) theres more of it and b) I have different needs for that stuff (ie trading etc). Otherwise, its basically done alphabetically and then in date order

>So I have the organizational part down. I just need a way to store them all....and I want to see them. I don't want to hide them away in a box or something. How do I do that with limited space, and a tiny budget? I have seen some nice storage units that would fit my needs, but they only hold around 1000 cds and cost close to $200.00. I'd need 5 of them. I just can't spend $1000 on this.

I have an attic. The vinyl and tapes are kept there. the videos are in separate places and the CDs in the living room, but taking up too much space. I'll probabaly end up re-designing the attic and other parts of the house to keep it reasonably tidy.

>Should I email those people at "Clean Sweep"? I had seriously considered that...but they make you get rid of stuff...and that is NOT an option. I'm starting to get really concerned over this. In my current set up, I have space for about an additional 150 or so discs. So by spring I'll be out of room. I have got to get this storage thing sorted out.

I seriously dread what state my house will be in if I dont do something drastic..soon

>I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Buy an i-POD!!!!!
Maybe even two or three!
02-12-04 05:56 PM
Nasty Habits Gazza -- You keep your vinyl in an ATTIC?!?!

I hope that it stays reasonably temperate up there. If I kept records in my attic they'd be worthless wiggles of blackness by now. I keep cassettes and video in the attic, and it's probably doing a number on the tape, but there is nowhere else for it to be.

My CD collection is alphabetical order, and is pretty much mixed -- I gave up trying to keep stuff chronological a long time ago because I'll never put it back that way.

My LPs are divided along categorical library lines that are a reflection of my employ, although I have to display them "library" style rather than in the traditionally easier to browse "flip" mode. In my personal library there's a crate of Stones, a crate of delta blues and pre-war gospel, and then crates and crates of Electric Blues, R & B compilations, doo-wop/vocal groups, 50s R & B/early 60s soul, Stax/Motown Era Soul, 70s soul/funk, Disco/Hip Hop, Rockabilly, early 60s Rock and Roll/surf, 60s bands (garage/psych), garage bands from the post-Cramps Era, bizarre rock and roll records from around the world, and then basic 70s rock, punk rock, country music, instrumental jazz, the Louis Trinity (Armstrong, Prima & Jordan), Crooners/Pop Vox, Reggae, jazz vocals, old time/appalachian music, folk music, comedy records, exotica/oddball, soundtracks, Halloween, spoken word, Christmas, and miscellaneous. And then alphabetical within each category. With special "endcap" sections devoted to artists who just take up more damn room than can be spared for a constantly changing collection -- Dylan, Ventures, Ellington, Bobby Darin, Billy Childish, Funkadelic, Zappa.

Convoluted, yes, but I know where everything is. Someone else attempting to find a record in my collection is pretty much screwed, though.

45s are also divided within similar categories (although not that many and most are R&B subdivisions) and placed alphabetically by artist although my 45s are perpetually out of order because they always seem to be going somewhere or doing something.

My CD Rom organization is absolutely blinkered, however. I have no idea how to store these little gold things.

Once you get to a certain level of insanity, SS, you got to stop wantin' to see it and just kind of "be" it.

Just keep telling yourself: It's all there . . . somewhere . . .

02-12-04 06:01 PM
Gazza >Gazza -- You keep your vinyl in an ATTIC?!?!

I hope that it stays reasonably temperate up there. If I kept records in my attic they'd be worthless wiggles of blackness by now. I keep cassettes and video in the attic, and it's probably doing a number on the tape, but there is nowhere else for it to be.

yeah. theres no problem with temperature. Its not that warm anyway. No direct sunlight.

Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH