ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A stones experiment: Twickenham on a Mega screen - IMAX format - Free experience!!!
At the biggest university in Latin América! Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Bien hecho Rogerriffin!!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Biggest collections Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-09-04 02:50 AM
Prodigal Son Hey RO posters, can anyone tell me how many records they have in their collection? I don't recall a post like this, so I'll conduct it myself. They can be albums on vinyl, tape, CD, anything, even acetate or mini-disc. I have taped a lot of music from borrowing, satellite musci channels and a local library so that all amounts to 30 cassettes, add in 10 more I've bought, then I guess I've claimed some of my dad's vinyl as my own (only 15) and I've got roughly 200 CDs (and growing). So, approx. my collection (it's been worked on since 1999-just 5 years) is up to 250 records. Maybe I'll share that catalogue sometime soon. Hey, I'm still compiling the definitive list.
02-09-04 03:48 AM
scratched I have probably 350 CDs (not all entirely legal), a stupid amount of mp3s, no vinyl but beginning to branch out in that area and 20 or so tapes from years ago. I've not got anywhere near as much as I would like though. I could quite easily spend tens of thousands on stuff I would like.
02-09-04 05:31 AM
kahoosier About 350 CDS, not all "official releases" LOL, then I do not knwo if you can count the 400 vinyl relaease I had but that left somehow with the EX.
02-09-04 06:15 AM
Zack I've got about 1,000 pieces, including about 100 Stones boots plus the catalog. Couple hundred cassettes too.
02-09-04 07:34 AM
M.O.W.A.T. I've lost count but I would probably put it at 500-600+ (mostly CD, some vinyl and cassette -- although truthfully, a lot of the cassettes are lost throughout my house).
02-09-04 07:58 AM
mac_daddy I have absolutely no idea...

roughly...

several hundred vinyl LPs

at least 1000 store-bought, commercially released CDs...

at least 2 terabytes of lossless audio - mosly live recordings, but some bootleg releases, as well...

several hundred DATs
02-09-04 08:59 AM
Nasty Habits Size doesn't matter. It's what you do with it that counts.
02-09-04 09:36 AM
glencar 900 or so in all life forms.
02-09-04 09:46 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Size doesn't matter. It's what you do with it that counts.

I agrree, Nasty - I pump it all though a modded tube amp > Klipsch speakers...

it sounds wonderful...

I have all the lossless sources stored on my home network. The computer I built as a mediaplayer is simply another source (alongside the turntable and Nakamichi tape deck), and it is all run via a learning remote control. During playback, the mediaplayer screen displays cover art, lyrics, source info, visualizations, etc...
02-09-04 10:35 AM
Gazza vinyl albums - about 700
"legit" cds - about 700
official albums on cassette - about 300
singles - no idea!

as for bootlegs/unofficial stuff: I'm guessing, but..
Stones about 1700 tapes - Cd's I dont know, maybe 600?
Dylan - about 800 tapes, around 300 CDs
Springsteen - about 700 tapes, around 250 CD's
Other artists - about 500 (tapes and CD's combined)

(remember that most shows these days are double Cds. I also hardly own any BOUGHT bootleg CD's - usually Cdrs that I've traded)

then there's videos.....this is where it gets silly. I honestly couldnt count. Its easier to talk in hours as opposed to tapes. For the Stones alone its about 600 hours although I've hardly got anything new in a couple of years. Most new stuff is on DVD/Video CD.

Do I need treatment?
02-09-04 10:46 AM
Madafaka I have about 850 cds.
02-09-04 11:32 AM
throbby Hey Gazza! I don't know if you need treatment.

What I do know is that I'd like to check out your boot collection!

I'm feeling rather "small" with my paltry 150 or so Stones boots.
02-09-04 11:48 AM
Gazza fair enough Throbby - but at least YOU have a life!!
02-09-04 06:03 PM
Mr. D I'd say i have around 800 between cd's,tapes, and actual records. I had more, but i sold/gave away a lot of stuff a few months ago and i need to get rid of a few more things.
02-09-04 06:06 PM
Joey

I have got nearly 6500 posts -- Fast Approaching JB's record of 7K !

.............................and you ?!?!

Developing .....................................

Jacky !
02-09-04 06:30 PM
Gazza now THAT is having a life!
02-09-04 08:24 PM
Stonesthrow I have about 1,200 vinyl albums; another 200-300 vinyl '45s, and about 700 cds.
02-09-04 10:06 PM
glencar Joey, will you soon be making the transition yoself?
02-09-04 10:22 PM
Lazy Bones Vinyl: 100
Official cds: 500-600

boots/shows titles
cassettes: 200
cds: 400

Gazza wrote:
Do I need treatment?

Nope. But I'll bet Heather's looking for some treatment!
02-10-04 05:43 AM
Honky Tonk Man Official and Bootleg cd's = 349 (that includes a few double discs too)

I have quite a bit on vinyl. Not too sure how much, a good bulk belonged to my old man. I have the first 5 Stones Decca singles and all their Ep's.

Alex
02-10-04 12:33 PM
sirfito LP's= I have no idea (but A LOT) Maybe 2000+ (I'm still playing all...)
cd's= officials: 1500+ (I stopped count since some time ago, when arrived to 1500)
cassettes= 400+ (officials and boots)
cd's= boots: I have no idea, but a lot too!
45's & 33's= well, some boxes full of singles.

Cheers,
Fito

P.S.: but as somebody said here, it's the music that counts. Not the numbers.

02-10-04 12:36 PM
Joey " Joey, will you soon be making the transition yoself? "

No , but I will be going to " THE BRAZEN HEAD " Friday evening to see a band called : " Acoustic Groove ! "

.......................and you ?!?!?!

Jercee Joe !

02-10-04 01:16 PM
sergey rollingstones Hi i have only 3000 items in my Stones collection. This is LP, original cd, original DVD, audio tapes, books and memorabilia. Also i have more than 3000 items from other rock groups in my collection. you can see my own stones site: www.rolling-stones.ru There you can find my 400 vinyl LP of Rolling Stones. I begin to made my site only one month ago. I think after two months i put all my collection there.
02-11-04 12:46 AM
Sir Stonesalot Well, about 2 months ago I had around 3900 titles, not including DVDs or VHS.

So, adding in the stuff I got for Xmas and since...and adding in my DVD and VHS material....I'm guessing somewhere close to 4000. Oh wait, I forgot about my vinyl. Closer to 4100. Oh wait, cassettes...make that about 4300. Maybe a little less, maybe a little more, but that's probably close.

You know, it's really ridiculous when I add it all up. I can't even begin to listen to all of it. Yet, every week the pile gets bigger & bigger.

I'm thinking of seeing into doing some DJ work...no no, not mixing and scratching...just being a human juke box. I know where I could rent a system pretty cheap. Some of you have heard my compilations...think I could rock a bar or party? Oh HELL yeah! I'd have to do theme nights though...I can't cart everything around. Sir Rasta-lot for Caribbean nights, Sir Stonesalot for rock nights, Sir Mudalot for blues nights, Sir Snotsalot for punk nights...Hmmmmmm. This could work.....

Anyone have any creative ways of storing everything in a way that you can still see it all? Besides owning a store, Nasty! I've been out of storage room for quite some time. I'm thinking of turning the closet under my steps into a media library...but my wife kinda frowned on the loss of storage space for household items. And honestly, I don't think there's enough room under there anyway. Also, my budget on the storage project is less than $50.00. Any help is appreciated.
02-11-04 12:55 AM
parmeda For starters SS...I hope you have at least catalogged what you have. Once you've done that, I think it would be easier to plan out a storage system, no?
I have a friend that does the DJ thingy you'd like to do...we have the most fun when he turns up at a party. Run with your idea! You'd be great at it...
02-11-04 01:08 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Does anybody here have the Street Fighting Man - London 909 45 RPM 7" single with Picture Sleeve?
02-11-04 07:10 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Anyone have any creative ways of storing everything in a way that you can still see it all?

What I recently started doing for shows (non-"bootlegs") is simply print an Avery file folder label (with artist, venue and date) and place on the flap of your standard white disc sleeve (without folding it down) and store - standing up - in chronilogical order. Personally, I sort by Stones, Young, Dylan and Misc, seeing I trade mostly, my "big 3". It's neat, orderly and takes little room. For some, I'll even do the artwork (if found and/or available) and tuck that in the sleeve, too.

Naturally, you can't see it all, at-a-glance, but having the labels with artist, venue and date makes for quick access.
02-11-04 07:50 AM
SirMuddy Loving them since 1977
(Satisfaction in a car)
My collection...

I can't tell you how many stones things I have...
but it's an awful lot, they're everywhere in the house...
Beautifull red tongue shape clock
Four Flicks, evey Beggar's Banquets fanzine numbers
I don't know how many but it's there

Every Official Vinyl... and about 30 Vinyl bootlegs
Every Official Cd And about 50 Cd bootlegs...

Tapes... too many

and I know peoples don't like it
But I have everything I want in mp3/mpeg etc...
25 Go - 3691 files

But it sound good in my pc...
(with good speaker system + link to the monster (Like Frank+Einstein i mean) PA System and play it fucking loud)

it's good enough ... for me!

but the greatest item in my collection still my love of them... and me playing guitar to hit...
So, enough for the me-myself-&-I bad trip
Love is strong
Jah bless yalll
[Edited by SirMuddy]
02-11-04 09:14 AM
Scot Rocks Wow, I pale into insignificance in comparison, around 150 cds, i am a poor student of course...lol

Mark
02-11-04 04:40 PM
sergey rollingstones No need more quantity. I'm more intresting about quality
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH