ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A stones experiment: Twickenham on a Mega screen - IMAX format - Free experience!!!
At the biggest university in Latin América! Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Bien hecho Rogerriffin!!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Is anyone seeing this crap??! Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-08-04 09:21 PM
Mr. D I switch the Grammys for a second.....and STING IS SINGING ROXANNE WITH SEAN PAUL!!! For christ sakes, what the hell is this??? I can't understand a goddamn word this jackass is saying.....this is what i get for switching over to see the "Beatles tribute"....maybe Ringo will drum while P. Diddy does the rap version of 'Come Together' with Aerosmith.
02-08-04 10:54 PM
Martha The White Stripes burned up the stage. Did you see them perform?

Warren Zevon just won a Grammy.

B.B. King is in the house.

Bootsy Collins wore the most outrageous outfit in the history of televsion.

Ozzy is now coined "the iron man"...and appeared stoned.

I'm enjoying the show.
02-09-04 12:07 AM
Steel Wheels The White Stripes - Jesus Christ was a performance.

That kid is taking rock to a place it's never been. They have a sound totally unique to themselves.
02-09-04 12:43 AM
Sir Stonesalot Uhhhhhh..."enjoy" is not the first word that popped into my head when thinking about this years Grammy show. In fact, the word "enjoy" did not pop into my head until after 4,726 other words popped in there in front of it.

The Stripes were by far the best thing on that show. I mean, c'mon, they made everyone listen to "Death Letter"! I also liked the Robert Randolph song.

The "funk" thing wasn't very funky, IMO. Yes, Bootsy's outfit was cool...but the music...ever hear that thing about too many cooks spoiling the broth? It just sounded like muck to me.

And what the fuck was that abomination that Sting, Dave Matthews, and Vince Gill perpetrated on us? I swear to God...if I ever meet one of them, I am going to punch them smack on the nose. As far as I'm concerned, what they did should be considered a criminal act.

Now we know what the Foo Fighters would sound like if Chuck Leavell played with them. Not that anyone really wanted to know in the first place.

And what was with all the caterwauling females? Christina, Martina, Beyonce, Sarah, Alicia....just pick a note and hit it for fuck sake!

Is it just me or did Carol King look like a guy?

What the fuck was that Warren Zevon thing? Why wasn't Bruce there to do Disorder In The House? They put together a band for Joe Strummer...they couldn't get one together for Zevo?

Justin didn't rip anyones clothes off...what a shock!

It baffles me why the recording industry wants to put THIS face on today's music. There is so much that is GOOD...why do they keep shoving BAD in our face?

No..."enjoy" does not describe my Grammy watching experience. Contempt. Frustration. Anger. Ridicule. Boredom. Nausea. These are the things that are foremost in my mind in regards to the Grammy show.

Utter crap.

The Stripes should be ashamed that they even agreed to show up and lend any kind of credibility at all to the show.
02-09-04 12:48 AM
M.O.W.A.T. The White Stripes kicked some serious ass!

quote:
Justin didn't rip anyones clothes off...what a shock!

No he didn't but did you see the boobs on his mom??
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
02-09-04 01:00 AM
Sir Stonesalot That was Justin's mom?

I thought it was Teri Garr.
02-09-04 01:12 AM
gypsy I didn't watch the Grammys...it's a joke. You have to die before you get recognition from them in the first place. But you can be a talentless dork and/or skank and receive a bevy of awards.
I'll wait 'til Friday's "Us Weekly" to see what everyone wore...cuz, basically, that's all I really care about anyways.
02-09-04 01:31 AM
stonedatbirth666 RUBBISH!!!!!!!
02-09-04 01:47 AM
Prodigal Son If I were a musician, I might show up if nominated. But perform? Gosh, even the Stripes-who were kick-ass (but I don't listen to much current music so though I listen to them it don't get me high as compared to 50s-70s music), looked outta place. Carole King looked manly, but not so bad for a woman of 61 years (Justin's mom was the best-looking old lady out there, screw Madonna!)

I admire Outkast for their unique sound but fear the Grammy assholes are looking to turn them into another Alicia Keys/Lauryn Hill phenomenon that hits a backlash. In all the show was crappier than imagined; bad speeches, bad intros, huge clusterfucks of freaky funk guys on stage (that Robert Randolph guy was playing funk-rock ala Hendrix in 1970, check out "Freedom," pretty cool), bad technical issues, bad performances, caterwauling "divas," disinterested musicians (Sting is shameless I know), bad fashions, bad tributes, bad Yoko Ono looking stoned and needing prozac or somethin' and bad awards. Timberlake over George and Warren? Bleeeech.

What else would we expect from a committee that thought tunes such as "Little Green Apples," "Up, Up and Away," "My Way," "You Light up My Life," "The Games People Play" (not the Spinners one) and "Wind Beneath My Wings" were worthy of record/song of the year. They've given the sympathy votes in recent years to Springsteen, Dylan, Steely Dan, etc. And who needs to give awards out every year for best this and that? It's all for show, and it's pointless. It's all a matter of personal opinion. And I'm hoping and waiting for something more in rock n' roll to hopefully drown out most of the drek. We need more than just the White Stripes who have become commercially accepted but still don't look the worse for it at all.
02-09-04 08:09 AM
mac_daddy got home from dinner in time to watch that funk tragedy - that was the most UNfununky thing I have seen in a long time. Robert Randolph should have just kept playing. George Clinton looked like he needed more crack; Bootsy looked like a stud, as always, but some of the rest of that PFunk crew looked tired and old, the spark wasnt there...

why was queen latifah wearing jlo's dress from a few years back..? not a flattering look for her at all, and she can look beauiful - remember last year's Oscars..?

didnt see the stripes, but I am sure they rocked...

oh - we also saw that beyonce "I love you" thing - that was the weakest shit I have seen in a very long time.

now, I have said this about the Mule, but since RR + the FB have been mentioned in this thread, I will say it about them, too - if you ever have the chance to go and see robert Randolph and the Family Band, GO!!! You will have a blast. His is another act that plays two long sets, so you get your money's worth, and he rips!!! It didnt show on the telecast last night, but he and his band are absolutley smokin'...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
02-09-04 08:30 AM
Factory Girl I didn't watch it. I've already seen the White Stripes, and I'm already bored by Outkast.

BTw, I'm glad that WS won 2 grammies.

However, I have noticed that the press is shoving Bey's and O/K grammies in my face big time, and fails to mention the WS.
02-09-04 08:46 AM
LadyJane Only caught the last hour....

--Disappointed with the Funk tribute...but man Robert Randolph kicked ass. I used to love EW&F...but Phillip Bailey doesn't seem to be able to hit the high notes anymore.

--I happened to like the Foo Fighters w/Chuck Correa. Best act I saw.

--Nice to see Warren Zevon get the props he deserves. Bittersweet.

--Also nice to see Evanescence beat out 50 cent for Best New Artist. I can't believe that jerk crashed the stage.

Hey..how was Prince??

LJ.
02-09-04 08:58 AM
Lavendar I thought the whites stripes opened for the stones at air canada toronto?? anyone know for sure
02-09-04 09:12 AM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Lavendar wrote:
I thought the whites stripes opened for the stones at air canada toronto?? anyone know for sure

Yes they did.
02-09-04 09:23 AM
Maxlugar I quite like Robert Randolph.

I have Live at Wetlands in NYC if anyone is interested.

He does Shake Your Hips...

Um...

MACKY!

02-09-04 09:34 AM
glencar The Grammys are still held?
02-09-04 09:49 AM
mac_daddy >>> Hey..how was Prince??

he couldnt have been any better than he was at the HOB with Maceo the other night...

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=4558
_____

max - I have a few nice recordings of RRFB, too. You gotta love the Stomp!
[Edited by mac_daddy]
02-09-04 09:54 AM
mac_daddy
02-09-04 10:13 AM
Jumacfly great Justin pic!! hope he gots place in his ass to put them together while singing Miss You under his shower...
oh, yellow card!!
02-09-04 10:21 AM
Lazy Bones Ever since awards shows and the music industry decided to kill "musicians" and create "entertainers", I've passed on watching such shows. Luckily, I did catch the White Stripes and I'm glad I did. Jack was unreal! And Justin beat George and Warren for best male song (whatever it was)...? You must be kidding!

The only all-stars this weekend were on the ice and field - not the stage!
02-09-04 10:39 AM
mac_daddy oh, I almost forgot, we tuned in just in time to see the Beatles tribute. Thank Heavens George's wife went first - she was the only respectable one of the lot (Ringo was Ringo, and so I guess he was cool, too). But Yoko and Paul - they both are lame, and I don't know which one sucks more...

and now, if I may steal a phrase from SS...

here is a queston I pose to you all...

Who is the biggest twat in the music industry..?

Paul McCartney
Sting
Bono

(write-in votes will count, too)
02-09-04 10:46 AM
Martha "The Stripes should be ashamed that they even agreed to show up and lend any kind of credibility at all to the show."

Hold on SS, Jack and Meg were the best performance of the night....absolutely. I am so glad they were there to show everyone what music is supposed to sound and look like! I hope they woke some people up! They made my night, and I don't think Jack was wearing and underware again......huuuuuum.

Lady Jane Prince was great, impeccable in everyway just like he always is. He has the most gorgeous clothes, with matching shoes....OTT gorgeous.

G.Clinton did look fucked up when he came on stage..he was on something. And I agree too many people at once for that finale. I dug Earth, Wind and Fire though.

Dylan was up for two Grammy's. Lazy Bones, did you know that? I haven't heard either song...do you know where I can get them?

At least they paid a tribute to Warren Zevon.....I look at it that way since things in the industry are no longer geared towards the artist and real music.

Oh,shit, that guy from CREED showed up mid-way into the show and I screamed in laughter when I saw him. He looks bad..my husband looks better than he does now. What happened to the CREED guy???? LOL
02-09-04 10:50 AM
nankerphelge "Who is the biggest twat in the music industry..?"

Paul McCartney
Sting
Bono

Yes!
02-09-04 11:20 AM
Joey " Is it just me or did Carol King look like a guy? "

Yes , Carol King has made the transition .

Shiver ..............................
02-09-04 11:23 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Martha wrote:
Oh,shit, that guy from CREED showed up mid-way into the show and I screamed in laughter when I saw him. He looks bad..my husband looks better than he does now. What happened to the CREED guy???? LOL

you know he is out of the band, now...

02-09-04 11:23 AM
Martha  
Deceased Artists Among Top Grammy Winners
By BETH HARRIS
Associated Press Writer

It's never too late to win a Grammy. Several deceased artists scored victories Sunday night, including two each by Warren Zevon and June Carter Cash, and one by Cash's husband, Johnny.

Carter Cash, who died in May, won female country vocal performance for "Keep On the Sunny Side," and the traditional folk album trophy for "Wildwood Flower."

"My mother's heart never, it may give up in body but it never did in spirit, you know, she kept on going," said John Carter Cash, who accepted on her behalf. "She's laughing and dancing somewhere."

Johnny Cash, who died in September, won short form music video for "Hurt," a song about drug addiction that he recorded in 2002. It was his 12th career Grammy.

"I really don't think it's because they passed away, I don't think it's a sympathy vote," country singer and Grammy winner Ricky Skaggs said. "I really think that it was because Johnny Cash is probably the most popular human being of our lifetime. There's never been a bigger star."

Zevon scored his first two career Grammy victories five months after dying of cancer. He completed "The Wind" in the final months of his life, and it won contemporary folk album. One of its songs, the raucous "Disorder in the House," won Zevon and Bruce Springsteen the Grammy for best rock performance by a duo or group with vocal.

A witty and irreverent lyricist whose songs often poked fun at death and failed relationships, Zevon was a critical but not a commercial success. Winning two trophies surely would have provoked his twisted sense of humor.

"His hard-boiled side would say, 'I don't care about this. These people never got me,'" said Jorge Calderon, the musician's producer and longtime friend.

"His other side, which was very Sammy Davis Jr., that part of him would be loving it. He'd be dressed in an all-cashmere suit. He'd be here digging it."

For his survivors, it was vindication.

"Oh man. Dad, what are you doing to me?" Zevon's son, Jordan, said as he accepted the award for "Disorder in the House."

"Well, all the people tonight when you get home - all the parents - and your kids say, `Mom, Dad, who's Warren Zevon?' Do us a favor and add an incredible father to the description. The album has one soul but it has many hearts," he said.

Other deceased winners were: George Harrison, "Marwa Blues," pop instrumental performance; Celia Cruz, "Regalo Del Alma," salsa-merengue album; and Sam Cooke, "Legend," short form music video.

Harrison died of cancer in 2001; Cruz died of a brain tumor in July; and soul singer Cooke was shot to death in 1964.

Cooke also was a first-time winner; Cruz won her second; and Harrison, the former Beatle, earned his fourth solo Grammy.

02-09-04 11:26 AM
Joey " I didn't watch the Grammys...it's a joke. "

" You have to die before you get recognition from them in the first place. But you can be a talentless dork and/or skank and receive a bevy of awards. "

" I'll wait 'til Friday's "Us Weekly" to see what everyone wore...cuz, basically, that's all I really care about anyways. "

Absolutely Incredible
02-09-04 11:26 AM
Martha
macdaddy> "you know he is out of the band, now..."

Yeah, I sorta picked up on that....and he's got a solo thing coming out??? Or am I confusing him with someone else I don't give a f*&%@! about! LOL
02-09-04 11:29 AM
telecaster The only thing you need to know about the Grammys is Milli Vanilli won a Grammy and the Stones never did

Carry on.

Good day.
02-09-04 11:32 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
telecaster wrote:
The only thing you need to know about the Grammys is Milli Vanilli won a Grammy and the Stones never did

Carry on.

Good day.

nice call, Tele...

as far as creed is concerned, I just know, from the others in the band, that they are done with Scott...
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH