ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pirámide del Sol - Teotihuacan, México Febrero de 1998
© Sergio Mimbrera
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: U2 - 'Vertigo Tour' Tickets: Latest News Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 1st, 2005 07:58 AM
Madafaka 31.01.2005
'Vertigo Tour' Tickets: Latest News

Public demand for tickets for U2's 'Vertigo 2005' tour both in Europe and North America continues to break records.

To date over 600,000 tickets have been bought, with sold-out shows in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Anaheim, San Diego, San Jose, Philadelphia, London, Manchester, Glasgow, Cardiff and Brussels.

Inevitably this staggering level of interest has meant that in every city where a show has been announced, demand has vastly exceeded supply. This situation has been particularly acute for those people attempting to buy general admission (standing/on the floor) tickets where the greatest demand has been chasing the smallest number of tickets - in every venue.

U2.Com would like to take this opportunity to apologise to those people, both U2.Com subscribers and those that attempted to buy tickets when they went on general sale, who were unable to obtain a ticket for their preferred venue.

Despite the technical difficulties that initially hampered the pre-sale, thousands of U2.Com subscribers in North America and Europe did manage to successfully purchase tickets for these shows.

It is the band's intention to return to North America for further shows in the fall and U2.Com subscribers, who have not been able to use their unique access codes so far, will be able to buy tickets for these additional dates. Once again these tickets will be available on a strictly first come first served basis.

As is now obvious from the number of tickets being re-sold at vastly inflated prices on sites such as e-bay, we are currently suffering the same 'scalping' problem that accompanies every successful tour. U2.Com in combination with the relevant authorities is doing all that it can to identify where these tickets have originated and, where it is possible, to have these sales cancelled.

Although we realized that some subscribers might be scalpers using multiple email addresses and reserved the right to cancel any ticket order, we underestimated the potential numbers of such scalpers/subscribers.

President of worldwide tour promoter TNA, Arthur Fogel, points out that 'Apart from the broker running the risk that the ticket order may be cancelled the reality is there's nothing to stop a broker from joining a fan club and being part of a pre-sale.'

We are sorry that this has happened and we would like to offer anyone who has a still unused unique access code the opportunity to get their U2.Com subscription money back.

(There will be full details of how to obtain your refund published on U2.com on Wednesday February 2nd.)

Please note that anyone who takes advantage of this refund offer will not be able to take part in any future U2 ticket presale.

U2.Com remains an enormously popular, award winning, free artist web-site.
When the band's long established fan-magazine Propaganda closed (subscription to which gave the opportunity to purchase U2 tickets in advance of their public on-sale) a 'subscribers only' area was established on U2.Com. With a subscription fee of $40.00, in line with other subscription-based artist sites, U2.Com provided outstanding extra value content: enabling members to access full length audio and video streaming of U2's entire catalogue, a web based e-mail address, exclusive interviews and documentary footage, discount on U2 merchandise, as well as a unique code that allowed the member access to a ticket pre-sale.

U2.Com continues to provide constantly updated U2 news and inside information on its free site.

We are sorry if we inadvertently gave the impression that the $40.00 subscription guaranteed you the tickets of your choice.
February 1st, 2005 08:13 AM
Factory Girl Will they refund the $40 fee to those who couldn't get tix??? Thought so...
February 1st, 2005 12:04 PM
Gazza "We are sorry that this has happened and we would like to offer anyone who has a still unused unique access code the opportunity to get their U2.Com subscription money back."

yes, apparently.

February 1st, 2005 12:50 PM
Jumping Jack Will the Stones refund their $100?
February 1st, 2005 01:06 PM
waaghals
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Will the Stones refund their $100?

I don't think so, didn't get anything so far!

Sad! Sad! Sad!
February 1st, 2005 02:15 PM
Joey

U2 & MACCA will break all attendance records this year ........... In addition , look for a WHO Tour in the states sometime this summer / fall !!!!

If the Rolling Stones were smart they would postpone the American Leg of their World Tour until Spring 2006 .

" Stones Rule You Friggin Bastards ! "

J. Fly !
February 1st, 2005 04:10 PM
Madafaka Hope they don't do that!
February 1st, 2005 07:44 PM
corgi37 Why dont they just postpone their career?
February 1st, 2005 07:52 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Joey wrote:

U2 & MACCA will break all attendance records this year ........... In addition , look for a WHO Tour in the states sometime this summer / fall !!!!

If the Rolling Stones were smart they would postpone the American Leg of their World Tour until Spring 2006 .

" Stones Rule You Friggin Bastards ! "

J. Fly !

Joey,
The Stones have toured around U2 before and did fine. Even better than U2 themselves.

What the key here is how hot the album is and the pre-tour publicity. If the album is damn hot and gets alot of radio play they will be fine again.

There is alot riding on this album. The Stones need a biggy again. It has got to be the bomb.

The Stones know their old fans will flock to see them as usual. But to keep that extra fan-fill alive they need a hot new album this time that attracts others.

Ian
February 1st, 2005 08:47 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Will the Stones refund their $100?

no, apparently
February 1st, 2005 09:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Joey,
The Stones have toured around U2 before and did fine. Even better than U2 themselves.

What the key here is how hot the album is and the pre-tour publicity. If the album is damn hot and gets alot of radio play they will be fine again.

There is alot riding on this album. The Stones need a biggy again. It has got to be the bomb.

The Stones know their old fans will flock to see them as usual. But to keep that extra fan-fill alive they need a hot new album this time that attracts others.

Ian

Apart from about 15 North American stadium shows in late '97 at the end of the PopMart tour, they've NEVER toured at the same time as the Stones in the same market.
(the main North American leg of PopMart took place in spring/summer '97 a few months before the Stones BTB opened). Since they became a major live act, the two bands have hardly ever toured in the same calendar year (U2's last few tours were '87, '88. 92-93, '97-early '98, 2001)

I'm not so confident about what sort of airplay a new Stones album will get. The pre-tour publicity is a 'given' - no act in the world can hype a tour like the Stones do. However, their new material doesnt tend to get much airplay. I'd imagine thats relatively similar in North America as it is elsewhere. They're too old to be a singles act, and too 'current' to quite fit into the 'classic rock' type stations (regarding their newer material, that is). I doubt you'll see much coverage of a new Stones video on MTV or any of that station's crummy variations. They just dont 'fit' into that market anymore.

Glencar made a good point the other day that the Stones are more likely these days to lose old fans due to death than they are to attract new ones. The reasons for that have been gone over here numerous times (sky high ticket prices, their age, lack of new product and general commercial accessibility).

I'm not so sure that unless things change regarding ticket prices, that a new Stones tour will see their 'old fans' flock to see them just like they always do.

It's getting easier with each succeeding tour to get Stones tickets and harder to fill stadiums and arenas, partly because of the price of them and also because they tour relatively frequently these days. There are a finite number of people prepared to part with that amount of cash to see a band that, by now, practically everyone who's ever wanted to see them has had the chance to do so at least once.

They also have a lot of competition for the public's cash when they tour this year. Not an easy thing when there's something of a slump in the ticket-buying market. With it being so soon since their last tour and with other major acts charging considerably less money for a ticket, they might find things a bit harder than a lot of people imagine this year if they're continuing to charge those sort of prices.
February 1st, 2005 10:30 PM
Soldatti They NEVER will have a "big hit" again, the last one was Mixed Emotions in 1989 and the "real" last one was in 1981.
U2's Vertigo reached #31 on US and that week the song got 12,000 spins on radio, the #100 single needs at least 8,000 spins in a week. The Stones' last new song, Don't Stop got a max. of 800 spins in a week...
The Stones reached #97 on the Hot 100 with the remix of Sympathy For The Devil, but 100% thanks to sales.

The chances for a pop radio hit is zero, they can top the rock chart (Anybody Seen My Baby almost did it) but the impact of the rock chart on the Hot 100 is very small.
February 2nd, 2005 01:40 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Apart from about 15 North American stadium shows in late '97 at the end of the PopMart tour, they've NEVER toured at the same time as the Stones in the same market.
(the main North American leg of PopMart took place in spring/summer '97 a few months before the Stones BTB opened). Since they became a major live act, the two bands have hardly ever toured in the same calendar year (U2's last few tours were '87, '88. 92-93, '97-early '98, 2001)

I'm not so confident about what sort of airplay a new Stones album will get. The pre-tour publicity is a 'given' - no act in the world can hype a tour like the Stones do. However, their new material doesnt tend to get much airplay. I'd imagine thats relatively similar in North America as it is elsewhere. They're too old to be a singles act, and too 'current' to quite fit into the 'classic rock' type stations (regarding their newer material, that is). I doubt you'll see much coverage of a new Stones video on MTV or any of that station's crummy variations. They just dont 'fit' into that market anymore.

Glencar made a good point the other day that the Stones are more likely these days to lose old fans due to death than they are to attract new ones. The reasons for that have been gone over here numerous times (sky high ticket prices, their age, lack of new product and general commercial accessibility).

I'm not so sure that unless things change regarding ticket prices, that a new Stones tour will see their 'old fans' flock to see them just like they always do.

It's getting easier with each succeeding tour to get Stones tickets and harder to fill stadiums and arenas, partly because of the price of them and also because they tour relatively frequently these days. There are a finite number of people prepared to part with that amount of cash to see a band that, by now, practically everyone who's ever wanted to see them has had the chance to do so at least once.

They also have a lot of competition for the public's cash when they tour this year. Not an easy thing when there's something of a slump in the ticket-buying market. With it being so soon since their last tour and with other major acts charging considerably less money for a ticket, they might find things a bit harder than a lot of people imagine this year if they're continuing to charge those sort of prices.

Gazza,
Every tour since 89 there has always been the "I am not going this time....the tickets are too high" and every tour they get more people to see them than any other in that time frame. Trust me, The Rolling Stones will have no problem selling enough seats to cash in above the rest. You can bet the farm on that one.
When I say they toured together I mean within 6 months to a year of each-other. And this time will be no different for the most part. Remember, U2 isn't going to tour in the summer here. The Stones will start in mid to late summer. Probably August. When U2 is doing arena's in the Fall here the Stones will be doing a mixture of Stadiums.
I don't understand what the big concern is just because two major rock acts will be touring around the same time.
Remember The Stones have tour along side of Paul McCartney,
U2 and The Who (meaning within a few months of each-other)in the past 15 years and The Stones always did great.
Forget U2. They cannot dent The Stones machine to the point that The Stones should put aside touring a whole year as Joey proposed.
As far as radio hits go I realize that it is not a Rolling Stones market anymore. However Voodoo Lounge did it's job in getting the youngins to go see them. This time that need that to happen again.
Ian
February 2nd, 2005 09:16 AM
Gazza >Gazza,
Every tour since 89 there has always been the "I am not going this time....the tickets are too high" and every tour they get more people to see them than any other in that time frame.

Ian - the high ticket prices didnt start until 1999, not 1989..(actually they did a few as an experiment in '98 but the first of the 'rip off prices' tours was '99)

I dont doubt they're capable of selling more tickets than anyone else. Well, they'll certainly outgross everyone else, which isnt the same thing. Other major acts are sensible enough not to tour at the same time as the biggest acts in the market. It's common sense.

> Trust me, The Rolling Stones will have no problem selling enough seats to cash in above the rest. You can bet the farm on that one.

I wouldnt. I think they'll do well enough, but we're talking about the old law of diminishing returns here. Most people who go to Stones shows arent diehards like me and you. They're another 'legend' to cross off the list of acts you've seen. The Stones tour so often now that it's not the event it used to be. Apart from a couple of cities last time, it wasn't really that hard to get tickets for arena shows on the last tour. A few years ago, getting a ticket for a stadium show was a hard enough job.

>When I say they toured together I mean within 6 months to a year of each-other. And this time will be no different for the most part. Remember, U2 isn't going to tour in the summer here.

neither are the Stones, I think

>The Stones will start in mid to late summer. Probably August. When U2 is doing arena's in the Fall here the Stones will be doing a mixture of Stadiums.

The indications are that it's unlikely the Stones will be playing stadiums in the US. They struggled to fill them last time and it'll be harder this time around. They can make enough money playing arenas, and the bulk of their touring this year will be September - November, which WILL cross over with the U2 tour, amongst others

February 2nd, 2005 09:51 AM
Joey I am very concerned about The Rolling Stones ability to compete against the likes of Paul McCartney , U2 and THE WHO this fall --- Each of these artists is extremely formidable on the road and will command top dollar for the premium seats --- there is only so much cash to go around ........................

I repeat : The Rolling Stones would be wise to postpone the American Leg of their World Tour until 2006 . I recommend opening up this fall in Central / South America initially , then perhaps heading over to Australia once again where they can do their requisite eighty shows ( they seem to love performing in that country even more than Germany ( ninety shows last tour ) , the Far East ( perhaps Korea and Vietnam [ shiver ... ] ) , China [ read : Beijing ] , Thailand , Indonesia [ Jakarta ] , Japan , etc ........................Oh Hell , YOU get the picture !!!!

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

JACKY !

[ Edited by Jacky ! ]

[Edited by Joey]
February 2nd, 2005 08:43 PM
Soldatti I'm with you Joey, we are waiting the Stones for 7 years now while US saw they 2 times in the middle, Europe 2 times too...they can play on others countries first...
February 3rd, 2005 09:37 AM
Joey
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I'm with you Joey, we are waiting the Stones for 7 years now while US saw they 2 times in the middle, Europe 2 times too...they can play on others countries first...

Amen My Stones Brother ................

Central & South America are Waaaaaaay overdue for a Stones Tour !!!!!

Jacky ....Caked ! ™
February 3rd, 2005 10:22 AM
Dan Remember, last tour the Stones skipped whole swaths of the south and midwest, apparently because the local economy is incapable of generating the 3 or 5 million or whatever they expect to get every show. I think the next tour will either be theatres at top dollar (with low overhead) or a lot like The Who 2004 tour, just a few cities here and there.

Also there are many die hards I know, such as myself, who seems to think the cash/value ratio has got a little too lopsided lately. As a matter of fact I wasnt even planning on going last tour til I got lured in by scoring theatre tickets.
February 3rd, 2005 10:51 AM
Gazza Yeah. Personally, I genuinely believe the next Stones tour will see fewer cities, with the bulk of shows being concentrated in major urban areas where they can get enough people to see them and they could play maybe 3-5 arena shows in a week or more, such as New York, Chicago, LA, Philadelphia, Toronto, Omaha etc. (with maybe a theatre show thrown in during that period in the same city)

Its getting a bit more like a season in Vegas - ie, the emphasis more on us travelling to see THEM rather than the other way round. As they wont be likely to do 2 nights in a row anymore and the gaps between each city are getting longer with each tour, I'd be surprised if a 3 month North American tour saw them play more than about 30 - 35 shows.
February 3rd, 2005 12:31 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Joey wrote:
I repeat : The Rolling Stones would be wise to postpone the American Leg of their World Tour until 2006 . I recommend opening up this fall in Central / South America initially , then perhaps heading over to Australia once again where they can do their requisite eighty shows ( they seem to love performing in that country even more than Germany ( ninety shows last tour ) , the Far East ( perhaps Korea and Vietnam [ shiver ... ] ) , China [ read : Beijing ] , Thailand , Indonesia [ Jakarta ] , Japan , etc ........................Oh Hell , YOU get the picture !!!!

Ok, it could be one of the best things in my life, but sounds impossible. Bussiness are bussiness, my dear Joey!
February 3rd, 2005 10:04 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Joey wrote:

Amen My Stones Brother ................

Central & South America are Waaaaaaay overdue for a Stones Tour !!!!!

Jacky ....Caked ! ™

Thanks Joey!
February 4th, 2005 03:06 AM
IanBillen
I have a question,

Why, oh why don't they do what the hall they did for Voodoo. Have like rock bottum prices (nosebleeds), mid range, and the high ones.

Say $35.00 for the rock bottum ones. Sixty five for the mid range ones. And 100.00 for everything eles. Why didn't they ever do that again? That worked so well and really helped the Stadium attendance alon with old and new fans.

Ian
February 4th, 2005 04:42 AM
Gazza a) because they're greedy
and

b) because they dont live in the real world

The Stones, by some fucked up logic, probably DO consider $100 for a shitty seat good value, but when you're worth about £200 million you kind of lose some perspective on what most people have to do to earn the sort of money they're charging for decent seats these days
February 4th, 2005 06:19 AM
Gazza meanwhile - to get back to the original subject of the thread - U2's two Dublin shows sold out this morning in 50 minutes. Thats something like 150,000 tickets, or 3% of the population of the entire island (imagine 9 million tickets being sold in the US in that time to get some perspective)

Yikes.
February 4th, 2005 06:33 AM
beer gazza, check pm
February 4th, 2005 07:15 AM
Gazza right back atcha!
February 4th, 2005 12:24 PM
Dan
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

I have a question,

Why, oh why don't they do what the hall they did for Voodoo. Have like rock bottum prices (nosebleeds), mid range, and the high ones.

Say $35.00 for the rock bottum ones. Sixty five for the mid range ones. And 100.00 for everything eles. Why didn't they ever do that again? That worked so well and really helped the Stadium attendance alon with old and new fans.

Ian

Because they likely arent playing stadiums where there are less seats to fill. Also it seems in many markets the limited amount of $50-90 seats are in much more demand than the $350 seats, so there really is no reason for them to go any lower.
Also I am not so sure they would have risked going as high as $60 on Voodoo Lounge if the Eagles and Pink Floyd already tested the waters and succeeded with selling even more expensive tickets just a few months prior.
February 5th, 2005 10:45 AM
charlotte Gazza, I think the best comparison(U2-Ireland) would be Springsteen and New Jersey...

You are correct-I had no problem getting tickets to the B2B, NS and Licks tours-inside and outside...
February 5th, 2005 03:59 PM
Gazza yeah I agree with you 100% on the Springsteen analogy.

Some spokesman for the promoters yesterday said U2 could probably have sold a million tickets (somewhat unlikely) and that "this proves they are the biggest band in the world" - which is a nonsensical statement, as it merely proves that they're the biggest band in a small country.

Obviously they're huge worldwide but (like Springsteen and many other acts) they're going to have a disproportionately huge appeal on their home turf, especially when (like Bruce) its an area that doesnt traditionally produce such huge acts.
February 7th, 2005 06:55 AM
albert Bruce Springsteen en Paul McCartney didn't sell out in Holland.

A last minute ticket on the black market in front of the stadium was sold for 25 euro's. (field ticket!)

Just walked in and in 10 minutes had a very goos spot in front of the stage!

don't see thi happen with the Stones concerts though.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood