ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1981 Stand still from LSTNT
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bonham- the lets dis Led Zeppelin thread Return to archive Page: 1 2
29th January 2007 07:52 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
29th January 2007 08:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Bonham would have been a great fit for AC/DC.
Bonham's drumming is a major influence on AC/DC. Someone who wants to dis Zep argue that point. No? Because you can't, because that's the way it is.
29th January 2007 08:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels It's kind of like people who the dis the Beatles on account of the Stones. It's almost as absurd as a long cock contest. I mean if someone hates the Beatles, that's fine but at least do it with an intelligent argument.
29th January 2007 08:11 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Bonham would have been a great fit for AC/DC.
Bonham's drumming is a major influence on AC/DC. Someone who wants to dis Zep argue that point. No? Because you can't, because that's the way it is.

Always thought the cat was a bit ham fisted myself. Charlie's the only white drummer with swing.-Keith Richards

So,you know,there.

Riffy
29th January 2007 08:14 PM
pdog bonham was a shitty drinker!
29th January 2007 08:15 PM
Riffhard
quote:
pdog wrote:
bonham was a shitty drinker!

He was an even worse puker.

Riffy
29th January 2007 08:16 PM
pdog Ha!
29th January 2007 08:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

Always thought the cat was a bit ham fisted myself. Charlie's the only white drummer with swing.-Keith Richards

So,you know,there.
Riffy

Well he does have the "swing". I'm not dissing Charlie. He's probably one of the most versitile drummers ever. Maybe the best that's ever been. What I'm saying is that Bonham is alot better drummer than you're giving him credit for. And so what if keith says something? That doesn't necessarily make it true. It might be. But Keith always promotes the Stones over anyone else.
But the point is that why dis Bonham?
29th January 2007 08:18 PM
Fiji Joe Honestly...unless they're playing a drum solo, I can't tell the difference between a bad drummer and a good drummer..I'm way too caught up in the guitars and vocals
29th January 2007 08:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Honestly...unless they're playing a drum solo, I can't tell the difference between a bad drummer and a good drummer..I'm way too caught up in the guitars and vocals

The difference between Art and art is subtilty and finesse. Pay attetion. Seriously. It will serve you well.
29th January 2007 08:24 PM
Riffhard
quote:

Well he does have the "swing". I'm not dissing Charlie. He's probably one of the most versitile drummers ever. Maybe the best that's ever been. What I'm saying is that Bonham is alot better drummer than you're giving him credit for. And so what if keith says something? That doesn't necessarily make it true. It might be. But Keith always promotes the Stones over anyone else.

I'm not really dissing Bonham at all. My point is that you kinda alluded to the fact that if people think Led Zep is too high school then that's because they "don't get drums". Well,if that's the case then I'd say that I'm in pretty good company.

Riffy
29th January 2007 08:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The Rolling Stones are too "high school".....but...
we like it.
29th January 2007 08:33 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Never was a fan of the Zep.

But they still did ok for themselves without my patronage, so we've mutually agreed not to worry too much about it...
29th January 2007 08:53 PM
Nellcote TTM, forgive me, however, are you arguing with yourself? Bonzo was a spiff of a drummer, he could handle many styles. I was listening to "Get The Led Out", a 1/2 hr segment on the classic rock station tonight. The Crunge came on, with it's James Brown inflections, which is not the easiest song to to play, with it's funk beat, and it was the drumming which caught my ear. Backed up was the slammer, Dancing Days, with those flourishes. In my eyes, Bonham & Moonie were similar, they had to "show" the drumming, where Watts drums effortlessly, the same hard style, but acting as if he was hitting a cotton ball...
[Edited by Nellcote]
29th January 2007 09:09 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:

The difference between Art and art is subtilty and finesse. Pay attetion. Seriously. It will serve you well.

Come on...are you hearing drums when Otis Redding sings?
29th January 2007 09:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Sorry.
It's getting hot in here.
29th January 2007 09:34 PM
duck Listen to In My Time of Dying and get back with me. PS Turn it up Rookie
29th January 2007 09:42 PM
duck
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
Never was a fan of the Zep.

But they still did ok for themselves without my patronage, so we've mutually agreed not to worry too much about it...

thank god they made it without you.
30th January 2007 08:02 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Al Jackson!! Damn straight!!! Otis and Stax had a GREAT band--ever hear of Booker T and the MG's?

30th January 2007 09:20 AM
Taptrick
There were only two other guys in my high school that got the Stones. I grauated in 84. Start Me Up was cool but everyone thought of them as "those old guys"....little did we know.

30th January 2007 04:55 PM
polytoxic "You'd have to have a drum this big and hit it that
hard. You're not going to see another one like him."
--Charlie Watts
31st January 2007 07:06 AM
corgi37 I cant knock Bonham as a drummer. He was great. In my time of dying is breath taking. But, come on, what influence did he have on ac/dc? Phil Rudd drums more like Charlie than any heavy rock drummer - EVER! No solos. No fancy shit. No double bass drums or fucking 25ft gongs. Just pure, uncomplicated, driving drums. Sure, Angus & Malcolm had that riff love of Page, but they also loved the Stones. I cannot see any Zep = Ac/dc influences at all. I just cant.

I didnt mind Zep when i was a kid, but i grew out of them. I hardly ever play their cd's. Ironically, i only play them to drum along to. Side 1 of Pyhsical Graffiti has been my "warm up" for playing my drums for years. That and "Sonic Temple" by the Cult.

Bonham was very bombastic, but i guess that was the era.
31st January 2007 07:17 AM
Factory Girl
quote:

But Keith always promotes the Stones over anyone else.

Except when Keith rips on Mick. Keith may have his reasons, but some of his comments and actions are very mean-spirited.

I like Bonham, he was great for Led Zep. But, Pagey WAS Led Zep.
1st February 2007 06:26 AM
corgi37 He was. And he make sure everyone knows it. According to him, no other person ever, ever even so much as helped during recording sessions. Some of the guitar player mags i have of him are, well, embarrassing.

"Oh, that was my idea".
"No, i suggested that".
"No, he had nothing to do with this".
"I had to tell John Paul Jones who was boss".
"Yes, there are 3,200 separate guitar splices on "Stairway".
"Thank you. Glad you liked it. Yes, that was my idea".
"My amp was in a wardrobe. No, i thought of that. Anyone says they engineered that record (LZ2) other than me is a liar".

And the best one of all...

"We recorded in Sweden because ABBA had such a great sound. No doubt. Their production was amazing. And, no one dared question me".

To this day, Corgi says "Apart from Dirty Work, Soft parade and Face dances, In through the out door, is THE WORST album released by a major band.

THE ELDER comes close.
1st February 2007 09:26 AM
Factory Girl
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
THE ELDER comes close.

Hi corgi! Please elaborate!
1st February 2007 12:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot If it hadn't been for Plant caterwauling all over everything, I probably woulda liked Zep a whole bunch more.

But that voice is like fingernails on the chalkboard to me. Can't stand it. I never went in for all that mystic shit either.

Bonham was pretty good, IMO. Woulda been better without Plant screeching on top of him.
1st February 2007 12:25 PM
mojoman
quote:
Bonham would have been a great fit for AC/DC.

bon scott and bonzo drinkin buddies?
1st February 2007 12:58 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Bonham was pretty good, IMO. Woulda been better without Plant screeching on top of him.

The imagery is priceless. Thank you, SS.
2nd February 2007 04:57 AM
corgi37 Well, yeah, now i see the LZ = Ac/dc link. Both had members who died via booze. Thats about it as far as i can see.

2nd February 2007 10:08 AM
gimmekeef Yeah..that mystic shit...as Keith said..."I draw the line at swamis"
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)