ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tonight 2 years ago - Closing the North American leg
MGM Grand - Las Vegas, Nevada - February 8, 2003
© Roooooooster celebrating the NY Eve of the Rooster! ...in Red!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Opening up for the Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 28th, 2005 04:39 AM
Gazza
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:

You're probably right Dan. But honestly they don't book hot acts the same night the Stones come to town. If they do, those bands go on at midnight after the Stones show cause you bet your ass they caught the greatest Rock n' Roll Band in the world that night!! Think about it, if you had your choice between seeing Maroon 5 at the El Rey theater and the Rolling-Fucking-Stones at the Staples Center, what would you choose?!

the week I was in LA to see the Stones a couple of years ago (Hallowe'en 2002) Aerosmith were on for a few nights at the Hollywood Bowl. I'm not sure if there were any nights were BOTH bands played shows, but I'd imagine there were. Thought it a bit of a strange decision for whoever promoted Aerosmith to schedule their dates at the same time as the Stones as I would imagine there's a lot of people (not me, personally) who would go and see both of them
January 28th, 2005 05:55 AM
FotiniD Firstly - I don't think we should hate or bash or react in other similar childish ways to anyone that has something negative to say about the Stones or the people at the gigs or any album they recorded etc. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and the Stones are not gods (much as we tend to believe it sometimes so that means they CAN'T be perfect.

Secondly, I love the Peppers. Now that may be just my opinion, but I do think they happen to play some of the best music around. They make great records, their lyrics are great, Frusciante is a genius imo and yes, I love Kiedis' voice.

Did he say anything that wasn't true? Perhaps exaggerated a little, but we all know it guys, the support acts get the rough treatment - bad sound, the thing with the space and all. And yes, the people that attend a Stones concert nowadays are NOT like the people who used to attend the same concert, say, in 1973. I'm not saying ALL the crowd is laywers and executives, but you have to agree the Stones attract a whole variety of not so "fanatical" fans of their music or rock music in general.

So put Kiedis admist all this and see what he'll think of it. I don't think we'd disagree if we were in his shoes.
January 28th, 2005 12:39 PM
Saint Sway hes right

too many old, corporate types at shows.Which ruins the show bc - he's right again - they're lame. It doesnt make for a good "rock and roll" experience. But thats not gonna change bc prices arent going to go down

never been to a RHCP show. But I've seen their live dvds and it looks like a blast. I'd love it if Stones fans had that kind of enthusiasm at shows that Pepper fans have
January 28th, 2005 09:58 PM
Soldatti I'm with Madafaka: envy.
January 28th, 2005 11:05 PM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
never been to a RHCP show. But I've seen their live dvds and it looks like a blast. I'd love it if Stones fans had that kind of enthusiasm at shows that Pepper fans have

Seen 'em III times and they blew every time. Frusciante was using the first, Fruscciante was out of the band the second, and Frusciante was/is fried these days the third.

Now the night I decided to see Michael Monroe instead of RHCP was worth it to see a III sheets to the wind Slash sit in w/MM.
January 28th, 2005 11:26 PM
Dan
quote:
Blind Dog McGhee wrote:
Now the night I decided to see Michael Monroe instead of RHCP was worth it to see a III sheets to the wind Slash sit in w/MM.

Would that be the Whisky 89? I was only 16 and really really poor at the time. I wish I had another opportunity to see Michael Monroe. I am still in mourning over the cancelled Hanoi Rocks gigs. Twelve Shots On The Rocks is my favorite rock n roll album of this millenium.
January 29th, 2005 01:18 AM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
Dan wrote:

Would that be the Whisky 89? I was only 16 and really really poor at the time. I wish I had another opportunity to see Michael Monroe. I am still in mourning over the cancelled Hanoi Rocks gigs. Twelve Shots On The Rocks is my favorite rock n roll album of this millenium.

I do believe it was '89, but it was Chicago at the Metro when GnR was hanging around a lot.
January 29th, 2005 02:22 AM
exile Anthony sounds a little bitter there in that paticular part of the book.
He dosent realise that the stones fans these days are not underground like the chilli peppers. never have been
stones fans dont MOSH
stones fans dont CROWDSURF

In saying that I enjoyed his book "Scar Tissue"

chilli prppers are good but not that good.
January 29th, 2005 03:48 AM
IanBillen
Mr. Anthony seems quite jealous. It is a shame he gets a nice oppurtunity as to open for The Rolling Stones. A band 10 times as great as his group he puts decides to put the show down and downtalk The Stones touring.
-He won't be back-
Ian

January 29th, 2005 10:20 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
...and the Stones are not gods (much as we tend to believe it sometimes

Oh yes they are.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood