ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Tonight 2 years ago - Closing the North American leg
MGM Grand - Las Vegas, Nevada - February 8, 2003
© Roooooooster celebrating the NY Eve of the Rooster! ...in Red!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Opening up for the Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 27th, 2005 11:12 AM
glencar This is from a shidobe poster:

Read Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers singer)'s biography and his take on opening a few shows for them:

"...but opening for the Rolling Stones is a shite job anyway. I can't recommend it to anybody...the fact is, the Rolling Stones audience today is lawyers and doctors and CPAs and contractors and real estate development people. This is a conservative wealthy group. No ones rocking out. The ticket prices and merchandise costs are astronomical..Let's go to the Rolling Stones mall...The whole experience is horrible..."
He goes on to say they don't accomodate you on stage at all and then "...by the way, you see that wooden floor? That's Mick's imported antique wood flooring from the Brazilian jungle, and that's what he dances on. If you so much as look at it. you won't get paid...you're basically like a little tv set on the stage, playing your show as eighty-five thousand wealthy, bored out of their minds fans are slowly finding their seats...we were the music to be played for ushering, seating, snack-getting and clothes buying"
January 27th, 2005 11:15 AM
Nellcote Sounds to me as if he's entering has been territory...
January 27th, 2005 11:21 AM
Madafaka Envy. They never will be like Stones.
[Edited by Madafaka]
January 27th, 2005 11:32 AM
gimmekeef Is that the one they call Flea?...who plays with his dick out???......(Funny though...he's not totally off the mark!)
January 27th, 2005 11:34 AM
glencar He's way off the mark. People still "rock out" at Stones concerts. What's the point otehrwise. I do recall people seem to have more pre-show fun over in Euro but when the show begins, we Americans don't stop dancing & singing & (in some cases) smokin' & drinkin'.
January 27th, 2005 11:35 AM
glencar Flea is a different "member."
January 27th, 2005 11:44 AM
Dan I was at those shows and he pretty much nails the latter day Rolling Stones experience right on the head. They were good too but I would have been happier if they had full sound.
I returned the book to the library but he DID mention they were the 2nd most important band behind the Beatles. For the most part anymore, being an opening act for anyone seems like a lousy job.
[Edited by Dan]
January 27th, 2005 11:50 AM
Bloozehound Who yanked Kiedis's nose ring?

Did his band finally get just deserts with second billing to the 12-Foot Wookie Penis Cops(or whothefuckever) at this years Loserpaloza Fest?

Reeks of typical angry, jealous anti-Stones ramblings from the insignificants of the underground (i.e. punk) music movement.

Punk is the Stones worst friend: so unloved, unwanted, and rightfully ignored.

January 27th, 2005 12:04 PM
caro
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Reeks of typical angry, jealous anti-Stones ramblings from the insignificants of the underground (i.e. punk) music movement.

Punk is the Stones worst friend: so unloved, unwanted, and rightfully ignored.

Red Hot Chili Peppers? Punk?
Actually, I find that story quite funny and I can't blame him for feeling that way. From my (little) experience, the Stones do nothing to make things easy for their opening band, and the audience doesn't really care either.
And he's also right in that many of the people at stadium shows go to see the Stones much like they would go to Disneyland. What he didn't notice is that the audience gets all excited anyway -- once the Stones are on stage. By then, the opening band is probably hanging somewhere backstage completely frustrated and unwilling to have a look at the bosses' show. Tee-hee!
January 27th, 2005 12:11 PM
glencar caro, some people open for teh Stones & seem to have a great time doing so. The Pretenders & No Doubt both seemed to engage the crowds when I got there early enough. The RHCP are somewhat boring. And as you said, it's the main event that gets people excited.
January 27th, 2005 12:19 PM
Dan L.A. crowds always seem to be somewhat lame no matter who is playing. Same goes for a lot of the Stones shows I have seen here.
No Doubt in June was one of the few gigs where everybody seemed to be genuinly excited. The Universal Amphitheatre balcony was shaking and it was definitely the loudest crowd I have seen in several years even if there were only 6000 people there.
January 27th, 2005 12:19 PM
waaghals At least Flea wanted to be in the Stones as a bass player!
January 27th, 2005 12:20 PM
glencar And he's done work on "Wandering Spirit."
January 27th, 2005 12:25 PM
waaghals A lot of bands would like to have the opportunity to open up for the stones. If you're a good band you've got nothing to fear!
But it's a matter of fact that the Rolling Stones audience is a difficult one to satisfy! They are used to good music!
[Edited by waaghals]
January 27th, 2005 12:26 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
caro wrote:
Red Hot Chili Peppers? Punk?

quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
underground (i.e. punk) music movement.

RHCP's are not traditional Punky Punk, they like to think of themselves as Funky Punk, which isn't as Hunky as Punky Brewster, but still Lunks the torch of Junk called a "Punk ethos cooter"
January 27th, 2005 06:44 PM
ChrisEditor I believe he nails it right on the head. I know we're supposed to hate everyone who speaks negatively about the Stones experience, but he doesn't rip the band and what he says is true.

The fans and experience have changed. The only thing close these days is being up front. In the back and the upper reaches it's a totally different scene.
January 27th, 2005 07:02 PM
doo doo doo Dude Can I just add what a horrible singing voice Keidis has. I'm always amazed at how incredibly off key he can be when he attempts those insipid ballads like "Under the Bridge". On the other hand, he's done pretty well for being so untalented and he's banged his fair share of starlets to boot. Lucky fucker!
January 27th, 2005 07:10 PM
sj Might explain why the stones were I believe giving tix away over the radio in 2003/2004. Perhaps they want a younger "rock-out" audience perhaps who usually can't afford tix prices.
January 27th, 2005 07:34 PM
Mikey I was at the Rose Bowl show in 94 where the RHCP and Buddy Guy were on the bill and I have to say that it was the most mellow 90,000 people I have ever seen at a rock show.

Didn't seem up for much of the show, even though the Stones really rocked.

I only say that because in comparison, I was at the Oakland show a few days later, in a Skybox no less, and the whole place was absolutely jumping.

Mabye Keidis was talking about that one show only, because if he was, I can't say I all that much blame him regarding the audience.

He still sucks though. I'm sure he cashed the check he got that night and bragged about it to all that would listen.
[Edited by Mikey]
January 27th, 2005 07:34 PM
luxury1 doodoodude--I agree. I have heard them live only on TV, but man, that guy can not sing in key. Flea is the talent in that band.
January 27th, 2005 08:05 PM
Riffhard Is he trying to imply that only rich jewish lawyers from Boca Raton attend Stone's shows these days?! I guess the first twenty rows are crowded with that kind of crowd,but who can blame them really? I sure as hell don't lay down a buck fifty per ticket to see the likes of Anthony fucking Keidis (sp?).

The two best opening acts that I have ever seen for the Stones were The Stray Cats in '81 and,shockingly,The Corrs in '98 at Philly's FU Center. The Corrs as pop as they are are also so goddamned hot looking that I quickly forgave them their pop leanings. They were also much better than I would have guessed. The Stray Cats were damned good and the audience was receptive. By and large it's a thankless job opening for legends though I would think.

Riffhard
January 27th, 2005 08:09 PM
glencar I wish I had seen the Corrs but I fell in with a bad crowd & got there too late. I did see the prettiest one a few years later but she bungled Wild Horses duet with Mick.
January 27th, 2005 08:29 PM
doo doo doo Dude I agree Mikey. Having been to lots of the L.A. shows over the years, I've noticed that the crowds sometimes suck. IMO, it's because of the "I'm too cool" Hollywood & record industry types who tend to kill the atmosphere at these shows. Most of these knobs are nothing but a bunch of poseur fools who moved to L.A. from out of state after college so they could re-invent themselves into something other than the nerds they were in high school. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the show.

And luxury1, I like the Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante a lot, he's the only reason they still have a career. They were a fun band to see during the mid 80's when they had their original guitarist and before they started taking themselves too seriously.
January 27th, 2005 10:13 PM
sammy davis jr. "...but opening for the Rolling Stones is a shite job anyway. I can't recommend it to anybody...the fact is, the Rolling Stones audience today is lawyers and doctors and CPAs and contractors and real estate development people. This is a conservative wealthy group. No ones rocking out. The ticket prices and merchandise costs are astronomical..Let's go to the Rolling Stones mall...The whole experience is horrible..."
He goes on to say they don't accomodate you on stage at all and then "...by the way, you see that wooden floor? That's Mick's imported antique wood flooring from the Brazilian jungle, and that's what he dances on. If you so much as look at it. you won't get paid...you're basically like a little tv set on the stage, playing your show as eighty-five thousand wealthy, bored out of their minds fans are slowly finding their seats...we were the music to be played for ushering, seating, snack-getting and clothes buying"

Sums it up perfectly for me.....
-----------------------------
Liver Than You'll Ever Be
January 27th, 2005 11:12 PM
Dan
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
I agree Mikey. Having been to lots of the L.A. shows over the years, I've noticed that the crowds sometimes suck. IMO, it's because of the "I'm too cool" Hollywood & record industry types who tend to kill the atmosphere at these shows. Most of these knobs are nothing but a bunch of poseur fools who moved to L.A. from out of state after college so they could re-invent themselves into something other than the nerds they were in high school. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the show.

Is it really that or is it the fact the LA crowds have seen everything and on any given night the crowd seeing you also had a few other arena, amphitheatre and club gigs to choose from.
I remember seeing Iron Maiden at Irvine Meadows and San Diego Sports Arena back to back gigs over 2 tours. Irvine (15,000) was almost full while San Diego was half empty but San Diego had the loudest crowd and Bruce let them know thats why they keep coming back even if they dont get the biggest crowds.
January 27th, 2005 11:45 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
Dan wrote:
Is it really that or is it the fact the LA crowds have seen everything and on any given night the crowd seeing you also had a few other arena, amphitheatre and club gigs to choose from.
I remember seeing Iron Maiden at Irvine Meadows and San Diego Sports Arena back to back gigs over 2 tours. Irvine (15,000) was almost full while San Diego was half empty but San Diego had the loudest crowd and Bruce let them know thats why they keep coming back even if they dont get the biggest crowds.

You're probably right Dan. But honestly they don't book hot acts the same night the Stones come to town. If they do, those bands go on at midnight after the Stones show cause you bet your ass they caught the greatest Rock n' Roll Band in the world that night!! Think about it, if you had your choice between seeing Maroon 5 at the El Rey theater and the Rolling-Fucking-Stones at the Staples Center, what would you choose?! Nah, I really think these industry folk put a kabash on the LA crowds vibe because they're trying so hard to be hot shit. I say fuck it. Pass me that joint and bring on the Stones motherfucker!!
January 28th, 2005 12:33 AM
Dan
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:

You're probably right Dan. But honestly they don't book hot acts the same night the Stones come to town. If they do, those bands go on at midnight after the Stones show cause you bet your ass they caught the greatest Rock n' Roll Band in the world that night!! Think about it, if you had your choice between seeing Maroon 5 at the El Rey theater and the Rolling-Fucking-Stones at the Staples Center, what would you choose?!

At this point I would choose anything at the El Rey over anything at Staples! Actually anymore its not like the Stones choose the biggest places with getting the biggest crowds in mind, they found out they can get the same paycheck by playing smaller places. However I once cancelled a possible trip to see the Stones in Phoenix to see the Dickies 20th Anniversary show!

quote:

Nah, I really think these industry folk put a kabash on the LA crowds vibe because they're trying so hard to be hot shit. I say fuck it. Pass me that joint and bring on the Stones motherfucker!!

January 28th, 2005 01:16 AM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
Dan wrote:
At this point I would choose anything at the El Rey over anything at Staples! Actually anymore its not like the Stones choose the biggest places with getting the biggest crowds in mind, they found out they can get the same paycheck by playing smaller places. However I once cancelled a possible trip to see the Stones in Phoenix to see the Dickies 20th Anniversary show!

Hey Dan, Hilary Duff is playing tomorrow night at the El Rey and I'S GOTS TIX!!!!....just you and me bra?....just kidding brutha. You got a good point...but the Dickies 20th over da Stones?! I'd say, you choosed the wrong gig man. At least the Stones knew better than to call it their "20th Aniversary tour". They called it "Still Life" brutha and let me tell ya, it was bad ass!!
January 28th, 2005 01:21 AM
Dan
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:

Hey Dan, Hilary Duff is playing tomorrow night at the El Rey and I'S GOTS TIX!!!!....just you and me bra?....just kidding brutha. You got a good point...but the Dickies 20th over da Stones?! I'd say, you choosed the wrong gig man. At least the Stones knew better than to call it their "20th Aniversary tour". They called it "Still Life" brutha and let me tell ya, it was bad ass!!

Actually it was a single gig not a tour and it was definitely one of the top 20 gigs I have seen by anyone (out of about 400-500) I saw 5 Bridges shows anyway. But I HATE Staples Center, and if the STones play there again I will try to score a $20 ticket or just skip it all together.
[Edited by Dan]
January 28th, 2005 03:07 AM
keith_tif Red hot chily pepers are not the Clash, they make music for supermarket!
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood