ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
The surreality show

Roundhay Park, Leeds - 25th July 1982 - Last show of the tour
The next tour-show was more than 7 years later!!
© 1982, 2004 Billy Boll
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: They got NFL, we got football Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
01-23-04 07:32 PM
egon Jumy,
especially for you:

http://www.olympiquedemarseille.com/

No, no, you don't need to thank me!
01-24-04 12:25 AM
BILL PERKS IS THER ANY NFL ON IN EUROPE(NOT NFL EUROPE)?I LOVE PREMIER LEAGUE SOCCER-ESPECIALLY THE CROWDS..
01-24-04 07:25 AM
egon billy boy,

not as far as i know. the league the have here is paid
with american money and features mainly americans.
it doesn not draw big crowds.

europeans like a game that continues, although you might not see al ot of points & for amercians it seems to be the other way round.

01-24-04 08:17 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
but this is probably not the thread for me to start talking about how NFL football is the greatest professional sport on the planet

Now, THAT, would be hockey! I love NFL football, but for sheer, non-stop action and pure athleticism from all players, NO sport is like hockey.
01-24-04 12:55 PM
Scot Rocks
quote:
glencar wrote:
"LOL. In "Planetary" terms? I love the NFL, but in "planetary" terms.....its "football" hands down. They have wars because of "football". They have oil pipeline shutdowns because of "football". They have Cameroonian medicine men hexing the other team. They have Scottish soccer hooligans rampaging through town. Etc."

What else is there to do in Scotland? It's the most boring country on earth. No wonder they're having a "birth dearth." They all want to leave.

As for American football, it wasn't created for monetary purposes. It's a cash cow today but that's only recent times. As for soccer, yeah it's big among the kids but when they get older, they don't watch it.

Piss off, stop talking shite, you are probably one of those people who are so ignorant you think Scotland is all hills, mountains and people running around with kilts and swords! Moreoever, Scottish football fans are not hooligans, Scottish supporters won an award for the last tournament they were at, for excellent behaviour and are always credited for having the best behaved fans. as fans we just like having a good time. There is a bit of trouble between football casuals of teams and a little trouble in the Old Firm and derby games however that is always the same round the world and usually much worse in other countries. In Scotland we are passionate about football, it is the national game as it was a game for the masses, ie you don't need a lot of money to play, you just need a ball and some people, that is why it is so popular here. Why don't you vist here sometime, its quite nice here actually, instead of just making remarks about something which you obviously know nothing about.

Btw I support Celtic, the greatest team in the world!!!! in my unbiased opinion of course lol

C'mon the Hoops

Mark
01-24-04 01:05 PM
stewed & Keefed Gillingham lost 3-1, thats it for another year
01-24-04 01:10 PM
stewed & Keefed Hey Mark.....Im from England,but that was well said
01-24-04 01:18 PM
Scot Rocks Cheers mate, just don't like people making remarks like that, I would never say anything like that about someone else's country, just a little bit of respect would be nice.

Unlucky today, you had a good win against Charlton in the 3rd round thought you could have won against Burnley, nevermind always next year! Im just heading home to watch the Liverpool/Newcastle game 1-1 already looks like a good game.

Mark
01-25-04 10:12 PM
FM Scotland is by far the GREATEST nation on earth.

Glencar can well fuck off - fanny-head.

Most boring country ever - never been on a night out in Glasgow ever obviously. The guy is a fud, it is obvious.

Fraser
01-25-04 10:33 PM
Gazza >Piss off, stop talking shite, you are probably one of those people who are so ignorant you think Scotland is all hills, mountains and people running around with kilts and swords! Moreoever, Scottish football fans are not hooligans, Scottish supporters won an award for the last tournament they were at, for excellent behaviour and are always credited for having the best behaved fans. as fans we just like having a good time. There is a bit of trouble between football casuals of teams and a little trouble in the Old Firm and derby games however that is always the same round the world and usually much worse in other countries.

as much as I hate Celtic, youre 100% right on this occasion
01-25-04 10:38 PM
Prodigal Son It's hard to explain, but easy to understand. The world outside of North America loves football. It's what is on everyone's minds, people grow up with it and it's tradition. In the US, people love American football, basketball and baseball because they've been exposed well and have been tradition for a while. Damn, baseball (the national pastime as the saying goes) reaches back into the mid-19th century!

So it's hard to make people in N. America care about football. Even I can't sit down and watch a whole game of it, as well as rugby and cricket. In Canada, the "soccer" interest is the same, but strangely enough it's the most popular recreational sport (must be the closer ties to Britain). We also, at least I do, like baseball and most American sports (other than NASCAR-most illogical "sport" to ever take on a rabid following). But, because of tradition and what we've grown up with, everyone lives and dies for hockey. A sport Canadian teams don't even win championships in anymore!

It's just the one sport regarded higher than all others, and it has the greatest trophy in all of the sports world (the Stanley Cup is much more amazing than the World Cup, World Series and Super Bowl-the other 3 notables). I am a hockey nut myself with a knowledge of it similar to that of rock n' roll. The US on the most part could give two shits about hockey (although Minnesota, Massacheusets, New York, Philly and Detroit love it). It'll never change, no matter how many joke teams they add into the NHL from Florida, California, Arizona or some other warm state. It all depends on where you grow up. Two sports the world seems to agree on are golf and tennis.

As for Canada, I think this is the order of importance:
1. Hockey
2. Hockey
3. American football
4. baseball
5. basketball
And yes, I realize hockey is no. 1 and no. 2.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
01-26-04 04:16 AM
Jumacfly Egon you bastard!!!
Om lost agaisnt Paris
Mtp lost again auxerre...it was a cup week end too, i m very sad for my team and happy for Marseille...
01-26-04 06:38 AM
Zeeta Wel I am a lifelong Leeds fan and we are being relegated this season soon to b e followed by administration soon to be followed by the evapouration of the club itself. Grim time indeed. All because Peter Ridsdale fuckin "lived the dream!" fucker. We spent 120 million pounds and won nothing so now we are 120m £ in debt, oh and bottom of the league.
01-26-04 08:58 AM
Jumacfly Zeeta Leeds sent his best players an they weren t replaced...money can t score goals...good luck for the end of the year, i live the same situation here it s very hard for my nerves!!!
cheers
JU
01-26-04 06:04 PM
Gazza >IS THER ANY NFL ON IN EUROPE(NOT NFL EUROPE)?I LOVE PREMIER LEAGUE SOCCER-ESPECIALLY THE CROWDS..

yes there certainly is. In the UK,Sky Sports show live NFL games every weekend..we basically get the same CBS(?) game that you would get (only difference being the programme is presented by Sky,so the studio "experts" would be a couple of Americans employed by Sky as opposed to the CBS crew you would get). However, its the same pictures and commentary.

The NFL was much bigger back in the mid/late 80's in the UK, when it was on terrestrial TV (Channel 4) even if the only live games tended to be at the play-off stage. I think the year that the Chicago Bears won the Superbowl ('86?) they pulled in ten million viewers
which was quite an amazing amount considering the game didnt start until around 11 pm on a sunday night. People used to have Superbowl parties actually - I dont think that would happen quite so much now.

Football (ie OUR football) was in a bit of a decline in the 80's, which may have explained that brief fascination. Since the Premiership started in 1992 and Sky took over the coverage and gave it blanket saturation, thats no longer the case.
01-27-04 09:27 PM
FM "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Bill Shankly - Scottish.

Fraser
01-28-04 05:30 AM
JumpingKentFlash My fave team is Brøndby I.F. from Denmark. But no Danish team will ever win CL. I'm sure of that. I have fave teams in many countries. Here are some of them:

England: Arsenal.
Italy: Inter Milan.
Spain: Real Madrid.
Holland: Ajax.
Germany: Schalke 04.
Ukraine: Dinamo Kiev.
France: Paris SG.
Portugal: Sporting Lisboa.
01-28-04 08:29 AM
glencar As a matter of fact, I spent 5 days in Scotland 2 1/2 years ago. I rented a car & saw Stirling, Edinburgh, a bit of Glasgow & I hiked up Ben Lomond. I know I insulted your homeland & I'm sorry for the hurt feelings but really, you should visit other places. You'll see what I mean. My great-grandparents were from Glasgow & I still have distant relatives there. Believe me, it hurts me too. But Scotland is dull. Please don't take it personally.
01-28-04 09:46 AM
Jumacfly let s talk about football, i guess it s the good thread hu??
jkf, only foreigner love PSG in France!!! LOL, i prefer than marseille (hi egon you wanker!!!)

Cheers
JU
01-28-04 09:47 AM
glencar Only football? Only Arsenal!!!!!
01-28-04 10:13 AM
Jumacfly Thierry Henri is my girlfriend fav player...France comes in montpellier next spring to prepare Euro 2004, i hope he will play for her!!
arsenal got one of the better team in europe, but they always fail before the semi finals of champions league...

if any of you love stadiums, check www.worldstadiums.com , with amazing pics , specialy in japan!

chjeers
Ju
01-28-04 10:55 AM
Honky Tonk Man I hate Terry Henry, purely because he plays for Arsenal. Jumacfly, you could of had another great striker with Spurs Fredi Kanoute. He played for France Under 21's, but recently opted for fucking Mali!

NFL MY ARSE!

Alex
01-28-04 11:08 AM
Jumacfly Alex!! sorry for that, but Henry is our national jewel....
I know Kanouté very well, i ve seen him many times on french playgrounds....a very good player, indeed...

i ve got only one english jersey guess which one?.....tottenham hotpurs, circa 1996, cuz of my idol David Ginola...you see i m not a bad guy!!!

"Audere est Facere Ronnie!!"

cheers
Ju
01-28-04 11:21 AM
Honky Tonk Man
Worst Goalkeeper in the World = Fabian Barthez

Worst haircut in football = David Ginola

No seriously, I was always impressed with Ginola when he played for Newcastle, but when he joined Spurs his footbaling career took a nosedive. Started to appear in adverts for Carte Noir coffee!

Anyway, two words... ERIC CANTONA

Never again will we see a talent like that

Alex
01-28-04 11:30 AM
Jumacfly after euro 2004 when france will beat england we ll talk about barthez...you right about Ginola...
so, the spurs, how are they in the premier league??
01-28-04 11:33 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
after euro 2004 when france will beat england we ll talk about barthez...you right about Ginola...

Not going to happen.

Spurs are very average mid-table team and have been for years.

Alex
01-28-04 11:40 AM
Jumacfly Cantona played for montpellier , he was and still is a god here...my team is 16th...fucking guys!!!!
01-28-04 02:34 PM
glencar NFL MY ARSE!

While not necessarily the world's greatest soccer(football) fan, I am bored by NFL. I will watch more of the real deal on FOX World Sports. Well, once the infomercial is over...
01-28-04 04:57 PM
Gazza >While not necessarily the world's greatest soccer(football) fan, I am bored by NFL. I will watch more of the real deal on FOX World Sports. Well, once the infomercial is over...

we'll 'anglicize' this fucker yet if its the last thing we do...
01-28-04 05:34 PM
glencar LOL
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH