ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
The surreality show

Roundhay Park, Leeds - 25th July 1982 - Last show of the tour
The next tour-show was more than 7 years later!!
© 1982, 2004 Billy Boll
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: They got NFL, we got football Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
01-14-04 12:01 PM
Jumacfly Hi!!
in europe we don t called football football!!!
I know many people here like football (please allow me to use this term!!)
so what is....
your favorite team, in your championship ? in europe??
fav player?? the team you hate?? the player you hate!
and who s gonna win the champions league?

everybody s welcome!!
cheers
Ju
01-14-04 12:01 PM
glencar I like Arsenal.
01-14-04 12:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
I like Arsenal.

Well, I like Ronaldo. He's a much better player than that guy.
01-14-04 12:05 PM
glencar Arsenal's a team, not a player. Good try though.
01-14-04 12:23 PM
mac_daddy are you guys talking about soccer..?
01-14-04 12:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
are you guys talking about soccer..?

Sorry but "soccer" is a wrong name the real and original name of this, the most popular sport in the world is "FOOTBALL", not soccer, that's the way the people from the USA call football. Football os older than "USA football"

Why the USA Football is called "football" is not a "ball" and is not played with the "foot"??
01-14-04 12:32 PM
mac_daddy heheh

I should have added the [flame on] tag - I made that post kinda tounge-in-cheek. I just thought I would ruffle the feathers just a bit...

but this is probably not the thread for me to start talking about how NFL football is the greatest professional sport on the planet

01-14-04 12:33 PM
glencar Nobody here cares. Soccer's a low-scoring game & in the USA we like lotsa points.
01-14-04 12:41 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
glencar wrote:
Nobody here cares. Soccer's a low-scoring game & in the USA we like lotsa points.

actually that is not true.

people my age and younger got turned on to soccer via AYSO (which is still the best sports organization for American youths). Since we all played it, and thus understand it, people my age and younger will support the professional leagues, and have an interest in the game...

my problem is that until the American teams start competing on a level with Manchester United, I have no interest. it is like watching Arena, Canadian, or World Football (and who gives a sh*t about those leagues?) They really only serve as farm leagues for the NFL. Our professional soccer league feels the same way to me - it is second-tier when compared to the Manchester Uniteds of the world...
01-14-04 12:47 PM
telecaster
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

Why the USA Football is called "football" is not a "ball" and is not played with the "foot"??

In the old days, to move the ball forward they would drop kick it with the "foot"

Then they realized moving a ball along with your foot is completly stupid and boring so they changed the way the game is played, yet, kept the name
01-14-04 12:47 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
but this is probably not the thread for me to start talking about how NFL football is the greatest professional sport on the planet

LOL. In "Planetary" terms? I love the NFL, but in "planetary" terms.....its "football" hands down. They have wars because of "football". They have oil pipeline shutdowns because of "football". They have Cameroonian medicine men hexing the other team. They have Scottish soccer hooligans rampaging through town. Etc.
01-14-04 12:59 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
glencar wrote:
Nobody here cares. Soccer's a low-scoring game & in the USA we like lotsa points.

Yes... two reasons

1.- A touchdown is worth 6 points, not just that after a touchdown, the team then attempts to kick the ball through the goal posts to get an extra point, it's an easy that I think that the touchdown as well must worth 7 points

2.- It's easier that real football. A football match with final result 0-0 (no goals) can be espectacular.

The "USA football" was created to generate millions of dollars

To play football the only thing you need is a ball and friends, can be played from two to whatever you want, target is 22 (11 each)
01-14-04 01:08 PM
Phog We Americans are simply a hard sell when it comes to Football. They've been trying for years to break it over here, but it doesn't seem to catch on. However, there was quite a bit of interest during the last World Cup. I love American Football, but I grew up playing the sport and watching it constantly. Really no different than the rest of the world and the way they grew up on Football.

NCAA Basketball is the most glorious sport that there is.
01-14-04 01:10 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The best sport is sex with rock and roll
01-14-04 01:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
The best sport is sex with rock and roll

Sport???? Who wins?
01-14-04 01:17 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Easy, both or three or whatever is the number of players (and watchers if any)
01-14-04 01:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
(and watchers if any)

Oh yeah the scorekeepers and referees. I had forgot about them.
01-14-04 01:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes, señor Motels, everybody win with this "sport", everybody, and is one of the few sports than can be played with only one player
01-14-04 01:40 PM
scope
quote:
Easy, both or three or whatever is the number of players (and watchers if any)

Right on Voodoo man. Sex and rock n' roll is definately a spectator sport!
01-14-04 02:49 PM
glencar "LOL. In "Planetary" terms? I love the NFL, but in "planetary" terms.....its "football" hands down. They have wars because of "football". They have oil pipeline shutdowns because of "football". They have Cameroonian medicine men hexing the other team. They have Scottish soccer hooligans rampaging through town. Etc."

What else is there to do in Scotland? It's the most boring country on earth. No wonder they're having a "birth dearth." They all want to leave.

As for American football, it wasn't created for monetary purposes. It's a cash cow today but that's only recent times. As for soccer, yeah it's big among the kids but when they get older, they don't watch it.
01-14-04 03:32 PM
Some Guy Please, not during the playoffs.
01-15-04 03:03 AM
Jumacfly thanks for replying buddies!!
my fav team is ..Montpellier and monaco in france, Arsenal in england (where most of the french national team play!), Celta vigo in spain and Roma in italy..
i hate O Marseille, Chelsea , Milan Ac , too much money or politic (milan ac = berlusconi, chelsea= russian mafia)
fav player: Z Zidane of Course
player I hate: nobody in particular....
it s funny ot see the term "football" known by everybody , but representing two differents sports!!

Any favorite for Euro 2004??

cheers
Ju
01-15-04 05:29 AM
Zeeta Oh yeah! The beautiful game footy!

My Team is Leeds Utd and England.

I dig most of all seeing Brasil in the 1970 world Cup - they invented making the sport an art! Pele! Oh yes!

American football sucks man!

What with all the padding they wear!? Helmets?! Tight lycra leggings - defintely for poofs!

Check out rugby LEAGUE in the UK - real mans sport, no helmets or players wearing wires etc!

Nah AF ain't too bad but out of USA sports I prefer baseball! What about Ice Hockey you guys like that?
01-15-04 05:54 AM
Jumacfly Zeeta: hot season for Leeds, hope they will play better his year..Marseille sent their worst players in Leeds, may be a beginning of explanation!!
01-15-04 08:34 AM
Some Guy Zeeta, why ya playa hating, Dawg?
[Edited by Some Guy]
01-15-04 08:40 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Zeeta, why ya playa hating, Dawg?
[Edited by Some Guy]

"sticky icky ooh wiee!!"

A bit of Snoop for y'all there!

Only messin' mate! Just prefer kicking a ball rather than handling it - that's why I don't really like rugby in UK either.
01-15-04 08:41 AM
glencar Ice hockey is fun to watch if you're "in the house" but not on TV. While slow, baseball is usually fun to watch.
01-15-04 08:43 AM
Some Guy Its all good.
01-23-04 06:51 PM
stewed & Keefed F.A Cup weekend in England.
My team Gillingham away to Burnley,tough match but should just nick it
01-23-04 07:03 PM
Some Guy Its all good
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH