ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA - September 20, 2006
© Robert E. Klein with thanks to GotToRollMe!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ABB - Underrated or Overrated? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
19th January 2008 12:23 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Totally overrated on Stones boards, two/three times a week a thread about it when almost nobody outside the fanbase gives a fuck.

Bingo

19th January 2008 01:03 PM
glencar "Bingo" my ass. Nobody outside the fanbase has given a crap about any of the Stones releases since Tattoo You. ABB is the best release since Tattoo You & if it takes 3 threads a week, so be it.
19th January 2008 01:04 PM
glencar
quote:
The jinn, my friend. wrote:

Holy crap, that sucks.
19th January 2008 01:28 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
glencar wrote:
Holy crap, that sucks.

Applause "sucks" .....
There was not a song ....
However, the part where that bass player comes over and rough shod the midget is icky to watch. What a creep. It is never cool to force someone to consume. Play acting or not that part is creepy.
Rather hard to photoshop him off that clip.
19th January 2008 01:34 PM
TampabayStone
quote:

Applause "sucks" .....
There was not a song ....
However, the part where that bass player comes over and rough shod the midget is icky to watch. What a creep. It is never cool to force someone to consume. Play acting or not that part is creepy.
Rather hard to photoshop him off that clip.

Prob made a fat check though.
19th January 2008 02:16 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
glencar wrote:
ABB is the best release since Tattoo You & if it takes 3 threads a week, so be it.

no doubt, it's the best release since Tattoo You to fill the used cd racks with

20th January 2008 01:45 AM
robpop
quote:
Glimmer Twin wrote:
I think it's an excellent album. Not their best ever, but up there. Best album since Tattoo You.

20th January 2008 05:20 AM
Jumacfly I sell mine if someone is interested...
20th January 2008 06:06 AM
jaymze I think its a really good CD. Its not my fave but I do give it a listen every-so-often and I think that it still holds up.

There is a lack of variaty in terms of different styles, but there is a raw, no bulls*** feel about it that is appealing.

I think that no matter what they release they will always be compared to The 'Stones of '68/'73 which is unfair as they are a totally different band now.

If they released a few more CD's with songs of ABB's caliber before they retire then I would not complain......
20th January 2008 12:12 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
I sell mine if someone is interested...

Cheap?
I lent mine out and never got it back.

Anyway, the more I hear it the more I like it. I hated it at first, but I guess that's natural.
20th January 2008 02:02 PM
Sioux
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Cheap?
I lent mine out and never got it back.

Anyway, the more I hear it the more I like it. I hated it at first, but I guess that's natural.

Well, maybe that's a good sign...
20th January 2008 02:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Sioux wrote:
Well, maybe that's a good sign...

The problem is with the fanbase. They just don't get it no more. Bitch Bitch Bitch.
20th January 2008 02:20 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

The problem is with the fanbase. They just don't get it no more. Bitch Bitch Bitch.

I got no problem with that. I appretiate the effort.
20th January 2008 03:43 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

I got no problem with that. I appretiate the effort.

Isn't that what is said when someone does something for you and they do it all wrong and you are just waiting for them to leave so you can correct the mistakes. And you really do not like or care for them enough to take the time to explain...

Or...

is that what is said when someone buys something for you that you really do not need and it is obvious they have no clue about your style or taste or even what color you like. And you plan to return it to the store to get something useful and appealing that you actually wanted and needed? Like sox......
20th January 2008 03:58 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
jaymze wrote:
I think its a really good CD. Its not my fave but I do give it a listen every-so-often and I think that it still holds up.

There is a lack of variaty in terms of different styles, but there is a raw, no bulls*** feel about it that is appealing.

I think that no matter what they release they will always be compared to The 'Stones of '68/'73 which is unfair as they are a totally different band now.

If they released a few more CD's with songs of ABB's caliber before they retire then I would not complain......

LACK OF VARIETY??
EVERY STYLE OF MUSIC IS ON THIS DIDC
HARD ROCK,SOFT ROCK,COUNTRY,BALLADS,BLUES AND DANCE, ALL INCLUDED, FOR BETTER OR WORSE.
20th January 2008 04:46 PM
TampabayStone
quote:

Isn't that what is said when someone does something for you and they do it all wrong and you are just waiting for them to leave so you can correct the mistakes. And you really do not like or care for them enough to take the time to explain...

Or...

is that what is said when someone buys something for you that you really do not need and it is obvious they have no clue about your style or taste or even what color you like. And you plan to return it to the store to get something useful and appealing that you actually wanted and needed? Like sox......

Funny! You got my head spinin' per usual. It's my agreement with the assertion.
21st January 2008 01:19 AM
Poplar
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I seemed to have misplaced it

TWICE!???
21st January 2008 08:11 AM
gotdablouse Overrated ! B2B=underrared !

Boring : lame lyrics, generic guitars, dull production, worst song ever (SSMC)- hard to recover from that !

They need to bring in some real musicians like they did for B2B and fire Was in a hurry.
[Edited by gotdablouse]
21st January 2008 08:45 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think every record has a tendency to be overrated by some.

As far as A Bigger Bang goes, on the whole, I think its received pretty much as it should be. An okay record, some good numbers, but not up to their high standards of yesteryear. That’s certainly my take, anyway.
21st January 2008 10:36 AM
Stray Cat UK It was way too long.Why, in this digital age, do we have to have to have 1hour + albums.

Beggar's, LIB,SF,GHS,SG etc all clock in at about 40 mins

When the extra tracks from the dvd appeared,I burnt myself an 11 track disc including UTR - a great improvement IMHO.

They could have released the extra tracks as b sides etc.

sc uk
[Edited by Stray Cat UK]
21st January 2008 10:42 AM
glencar What did you consider the extra tracks?
21st January 2008 10:53 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Overrated ! B2B=underrared !

Boring : lame lyrics, generic guitars, dull production, worst song ever (SSMC)- hard to recover from that !

why does no one seem to like SSMC? I think it's one of the best songs of the album along with infamy and LIND
21st January 2008 11:09 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
It was way too long.Why, in this digital age, do we have to have to have 1hour + albums.

Beggar's, LIB,SF,GHS,SG etc all clock in at about 40 mins

When the extra tracks from the dvd appeared,I burnt myself an 11 track disc including UTR - a great improvement IMHO.

They could have released the extra tracks as b sides etc.

sc uk
[Edited by Stray Cat UK]

agreed on the whole, though I haven't yet heard UTR-whats it like?
21st January 2008 01:31 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

why does no one seem to like SSMC? I think it's one of the best songs of the album along with infamy and LIND

Sorry I can't help with that, in fact I'm not even sure SSMC and Infamy qualify as "songs", "tracks" maybe...

On the other hand LIND is excellent, with some dignified (for once) lyrics and nice guitar (reminds me of Taylor's playing on Tops) how can you put these 3 tracks on the same level ?! Well to each his own I guess ;-)
21st January 2008 01:49 PM
The jinn, my friend.
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

agreed on the whole, though I haven't yet heard UTR-whats it like?

21st January 2008 01:58 PM
mrhipfl I prefer we don't wanna go home over under the radar.
21st January 2008 02:09 PM
Some Guy
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

though I haven't yet heard UTR-whats it like?

21st January 2008 02:11 PM
robpop
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Did you find it yet?
21st January 2008 02:29 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

pretty different from the rest of the released album, the guitar sound is like I Go Wild, so probably Jagger
21st January 2008 06:15 PM
Jaggedblues It's not one I listen to very often, probably only a couple times a year but I like ABB, it's a decent collection of songs, it's not amazing obviously but with the exception of VL, I think it's their best since TY.

There's really only one or two shit songs on it and a few average / pretty good songs but there's some really great ones too like Back Of My Hand, Rough Justice, Laugh I Nearly Died and Driving Too Fast. I like Keith's two songs quite a bit too.

I'd say it's underrated for no other reason than it usually gets slagged on the boards, I think it's better than a lot of people give it credit for. Still I doubt ABB is even in the top 20 of my favorite Stones albums but you know what, I think it's better than 100% of the rest of today's music. The bottom line is it's a cd I like to play loud and that's really all that matters to me.
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)